How to find a GOOD TA

daka

Seems these days EVERYONE is a Travel Agent...(or a Real Estate Agent 😊)  Unfortunately there are FEW GOOD agents.

How do I find a new GOOD agent? I'm not happy with our old agents....

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

What is “good” to you? 

For us, we work the booking ourselves to get it exactly the way we want it. Then transfer to a TA that give the best freebies. That is our definition of “good”

We had a great TA, who was very knowledgeable, he  retired/or ? No longer available...was able to get us perks and made info about the ships and ports available, I could just give him some dates and where we wanted to go, he'd send us a bunch of possibles.

Seems the new crop of TA's just want to BOOK the trip....

It's just too bad that people who are very happy with their TA can't let others know....

Edited by daka

I use one particular, large agency that I've been lucky with their agents.  I've had some of them move onto other roles though.  The current one is a gem and I hope she doesn't go anywhere anytime soon.  Have had her for a number of years.  I came across her by accident as I was wanting to move rooms on a trip and the person who booked it for us was off that day so I came across her that way.

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

What is “good” to you? 

For us, we work the booking ourselves to get it exactly the way we want it. Then transfer to a TA that give the best freebies. That is our definition of “good”. 

Can a ncl ta ever give away freebies if I transfer to them or is it other third party that give away best perks?

So many use the same agency that give many perks, and often each holiday add additional perks to the normal ones. Combined with booking onboard, then transferring to the TA, it can really help the cruise cost, our last ones we received almost 25% of the cruise price back in OBC, free tips and specialty dining. We found about this TA from speaking onboard to those that cruise often. We switched and couldn't be happier!

I have had the same one since 02 when we started cruising. This was back in the day when you got nice printed travel brochures from the cruise lines and NCL did not allow you to book online let alone have their PCCs. I am not sure if CC was even around back then. He is a certified travel agent and cruise agent. Over the years he has also become a friend and we cuss and discuss the cruise industry over coffee. While we don't talk real numbers, I do know that he gets paid a commission from the cruise line and anything he gives to his clients comes directly from his pocket. 

Large agencies can block large amount of cabins  at a time and get a substantial discount from the line - this gives them a edge when it comes to giving away things like OBC. 

There are times when my TA earns his commission by going to bat for me with the cruise line and sitting on hold with them so I don't have to. He has also put through some cancel and re-books that have saved me $$$ (and probably cost him commissions).

I also work on commission and believe me, I don't like giving up any of my hard earned $$. But I will bend over backwards to insure my clients get all the support and help I can give them. No more than I expect from my TA.

11 hours ago, daka said:

Seems these days EVERYONE is a Travel Agent...(or a Real Estate Agent 😊)  Unfortunately there are FEW GOOD agents.

How do I find a new GOOD agent? I'm not happy with our old agents....

Howdy daka! emo22.gif

I think the best advice for your situation is to find a good travel agent that specializes in cruises. No one here can recommend a travel agent or agency as mentioned above by @ColeThornton. Please note the following from the Travel Agent Recommendations section in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships:

There shall be no third-party recommendation (whether positive or negative in content) of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation

Hopefully, the following Cruise Critic article will be helpful: Finding a Cruise Travel Agent

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

I do the same thing as Bird Travels.  I find the cruise and pick the cabin and the TA that gives me the best deal gets my business.  There are 3 agencies that I have used for some years.  The price/ perks difference between them for the same sailing can be significant.

As suggested previously, ask other cruisers on your next cruise for TA recommendations and make a list.

:classic_smile:

2 hours ago, gbcruise said:

So many use the same agency that give many perks, and often each holiday add additional perks to the normal ones. Combined with booking onboard, then transferring to the TA, it can really help the cruise cost, our last ones we received almost 25% of the cruise price back in OBC, free tips and specialty dining. We found about this TA from speaking onboard to those that cruise often. We switched and couldn't be happier!

I just want the 25% in obc ones! I'm lucky to get around 5%. Even free tips would be more than I'm currently getting. I dunno if it's because I'm not going on cruises with $$$$$ fares or what, but I can't find better than what I get minus the rare times I stumble on a group. 

7 hours ago, mamashamiller said:

Can a ncl ta ever give away freebies if I transfer to them or is it other third party that give away best perks?

Nope. They can't offer any more than what you get on NCL.com. Had a PCC endlessly call me and I was like give me better than what a TA is offering and they couldn't. 

Must be nice when a TA goes to bat for you.  I've been using two big online TAs that give good OBC but it seems they are only booking takers.  Any problems or changes is done by "support".  I hear time and again on my roll calls how their wonderful TAs were able to add new promotions without losing previous ones but anytime I tried with mine it couldn't be done without rebooking and losing perks.

I left ours of 10 years because the company started putting part of the cruise fare charge into the taxes and port fees box, therefore, making the cruise fare lower then it actually is. It did not allow me to ask for a lowered price if the cruise company dropped it. I spoke about this twice and said it was unethical and it was justified by her. She did reach out a while back and ask if we stopped traveling. I told her no, we actually are cruising more then ever ;))

CRUISE CRITIC is "supposed to" be a HELPFUL SITE, but not being able to get in touch with other  cruisers about a good TA,  is certainly NOT HELPFUL...

I am not proposing posting your TA, just being able to ask by sending a fellow poster an email would be helpful.

• Like 5

On 1/3/2020 at 12:35 PM, daka said:

CRUISE CRITIC is "supposed to" be a HELPFUL SITE, but not being able to get in touch with other  cruisers about a good TA,  is certainly NOT HELPFUL...

I am not proposing posting your TA, just being able to ask by sending a fellow poster an email would be helpful.

I heard once, and do not know if true, that Cruise Critic is run by a travel agency, could be why.

10 minutes ago, gbcruise said:

I heard once, and do not know if true, that Cruise Critic is run by a travel agency, could be why.

gbcruise

Thanks, maybe that's the answer...because they certainly don't want members emailing each other off the BOARD

My only suggestion would be to call around.  We found ours by calling one who advertised on CC.  Having learned the hard way, grill them with questions, make sure they have experience (3+ yrs), and are willing to work with you, as well as for you.

I am a retired plumbing contractor. I never advertised after about my fifth year as almost all of my business was by referral. I always advised my customers to get recommendations from friends, coworkers or family for any type of service. It has served me well. Get a referral and ask why they like their particular travel agent and go from there. 

It does not have to be someone local; I am in Michigan and my travel agent is in Florida; she has even returned my calls from  her own vacations; now, that is a great travel agent. 

Best of luck.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 12:02 AM, smplybcause said:

Nope. They can't offer any more than what you get on NCL.com. Had a PCC endlessly call me and I was like give me better than what a TA is offering and they couldn't. 

Not always true , my PCC at NCL found a deal/better price when we added the spa to our reservation than if I had just added it myself. Saved us a little ( $30.00), however that money is better in my pocket than NCL's.

I've done some shopping around, and almost always end up in the same place.  But I never got THAT much in OBC.  Wonder what I'm doing wrong.  But we don't cruise in suites, and maybe that's part of the reason.  So many times the amount of OBC return is linked to how much cruise fare you paid.