It is not a refrigerator. It's a cooler. Here's proof.

Read somewhere on CC about a tip to keep the "almost cool" fridge much colder.  Keep the cabinet door/doors open part way to help with circulation (but of course the fridge door closed).  Indeed that little fridge should not be closed up in a cabinet..can't operate correctly that way.   

I just pulled a bottle of water out of my little cooler/fridge a few minutes ago.  Was not frozen, but there was a chunk of ice in the bottle.  😮  Definitely keeps it colder doing that.  And my bottles of Sauvignon Blanc are nicely chilled!  No need for ice bucket.  🤗

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

The sign clearly says ".... not a refrigerator"

must not use refrigerant, just leftover hand sanitizer...

They use that sticker a lot. Not always accurate.😉

Personally,  I think they use it to keep expectations down

I think I went over this at length in my last few reviews

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

I am on Adventure in March.  I asked for a  portable refrigerator to store meds for my 2 Cystic Fibrosis DGC, through special needs dept.  My request was granted.  Meds will spoil if above 40F.  This is a 50th Anniversary cruise for us w. family.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Sorry, but if it uses refrigerant,  it is indeed a refrigerator. 😉🥶

The coolers in our cabin  I've seen on cruises didn't have a compressor, tubing, evaporator (cooling) and condenser coils so contained no refrigerant. They had a cooling plate at the back that transferred heat from the inside to the outside similar to a portable power cooler that can be plugged into a vehicle's 12 volt plug receptacle.

You can see the cooling plate at the back in the interior shot of the cooler above.

Edited by robtulipe

43 minutes ago, robtulipe said:

The coolers in our cabin  I've seen on cruises didn't have a compressor, tubing, evaporator (cooling) and condenser coils so contained no refrigerant. They had a cooling plate at the back that transferred heat from the inside to the outside similar to a portable power cooler that can be plugged into a vehicle's 12 volt plug receptacle.

You can see the cooling plate at the back in the interior shot of the cooler above.

Yes, they do use that kind. My Promenade cabin on Adventure had that kind. Our VP suite on the same ship had a fridge. That cabin was added at drydock 2+ years ago. Our last 3 cabins on Harmony and Symphony all had fridges. 

You can tell if you look at the label inside the cabinet

The inside label of the newer fridge clearly shows R134a (Freon)

20191202_133536.thumb.jpg.2810ec20a2fd2d1b2d90bbae185fa346.jpg

Now this cabinet does not show the cooler sticker, but I think I saw the sticker on Symphony

20191201_131156x.thumb.jpg.9a38b0937b240c9113b988ff8501618c.jpg

The older mini bar fridge in the Promenade cabin has a very different label

20191207_135443.thumb.jpg.39b87d89fb4d9b5bca71193a6d01e143.jpg

and the sticker on the door from Royal

20191207_135455.thumb.jpg.7279bbbe4177020733b3422fb2c3e2ba.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa

Yes it is a cooler, and like a cooler you need to put ice in it.  We ask our room Stewart for a ice bucket then take the top off and put it in the “cooler”. Keeps things a little cooler and he/she will refresh it when they do the room.

• Like 1

I requested a medical fridge on my Explorer trip recently. This request was sent to special needs and I explained I needed it for insulin storage. 

I received a TRUE refrigerator that was inserted under the desk area where the chair normally would be. It was labeled  "Medical Fridge #___". I also had the normal cooler under the desk area. 

I was surprised to see this request fulfilled, which allowed several bottles of water to stay cold. My outstanding Stateroom Attendant, Reshina, also had a very comfy foam mattress topper on my bed when I arrived. A brief comment about Reshina, when my luggage hadn't arrived in my room by 7pm, she went looking for it on Deck 1 which certainly isn't her job. She was just awesome and I praised her both in my post cruise review and an email to Miami...

• Like 3