Disabled Veteran

damdifino

1 hour ago, damdifino said:

I am a 100% disabled veteran. However, I do not require special accommodations. Is there a cruise line (Alaska and Caribbean especially) that offers discounts for me?

Welcome to CC. Thanks for your service. No matter the cruise line you decide to book with ask the TA or the cruise line if they offer a military/veteran discount or OBC. If so you will be advised the type, the amount and what proof will be required from you.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, damdifino said:

I am a 100% disabled veteran. However, I do not require special accommodations. Is there a cruise line (Alaska and Caribbean especially) that offers discounts for me?

On my last cruise I was in conversation with a guy who said he always gets military discounts.

13 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

On my last cruise I was in conversation with a guy who said he always gets military discounts.

As was mentioned by another poster, there are a number of cruise lines that offer a military discount.  However, many that do don't offer it on every cruise but on select itineraries and dates.  So as davekathy suggested, it would be best for the OP to contact a travel agent who can then search the itineraries and dates preferred for those cruise lines that will be offering a military discount.

Regarding the individual that you talked with, they likely have found a cruise line that always offers it, but it should not be interpreted that they all do.

And to the OP, thank you for your service - it is sincerely appreciated!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

As was mentioned by another poster, there are a number of cruise lines that offer a military discount.  However, many that do don't offer it on every cruise but on select itineraries and dates.  So as davekathy suggested, it would be best for the OP to contact a travel agent who can then search the itineraries and dates preferred for those cruise lines that will be offering a military discount.

Regarding the individual that you talked with, they likely have found a cruise line that always offers it, but it should not be interpreted that they all do.

And to the OP, thank you for your service - it is sincerely appreciated!

In my humble opinion cruise lines should offer discounts to military ,police and fire persons.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We just did msc seaside yacht club, they offer a very nice 10 percent discount, doing a charter in 2 week a music cruise by star vista who offers a 5 percent discount. If msc yacht club is in your budget I would highly recommend it , includes drink package butler , private restaurants and pool and hot tubs. 

22 minutes ago, George C said:

We just did msc seaside yacht club, they offer a very nice 10 percent discount, doing a charter in 2 week a music cruise by star vista who offers a 5 percent discount. If msc yacht club is in your budget I would highly recommend it , includes drink package butler , private restaurants and pool and hot tubs. 

And for others reading this thread, the MSC discount (on the cabin price) is available to government (federal, state, and local) employees and retirees (https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Cruise-Deals/Government-Employee-Discounts.aspx)  in addition to military members and retirees (https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Cruise-Deals/Military-Discount-Rates.aspx)

Princess gives current and retired military members each an on board credit that varies depending on the length of the cruise (https://www.princess.com/military_benefit_program/)

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Princess will give you an automatic OBC, Onboard Credit, for military service.

Having a senior moment, but I can't remember how much it is exactly...it depends on the number of days you are sailing.  I received a $250 OBC when we took a 15-day Princess cruise from California.

All you have to do is send/fax/email a copy of you DD-214 to Princess.  You only have to do this once.

You will be given the OBC every time you sail with Princess.

Note: Many years ago, I was so excited learning about the $250 OBC I received....so I ran and told my wife...we were still onboard.............regrettably, she spent it. 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

And for others reading this thread, the MSC discount (on the cabin price) is available to government (federal, state, and local) employees and retirees (https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Cruise-Deals/Government-Employee-Discounts.aspx)  in addition to military members and retirees (https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Cruise-Deals/Military-Discount-Rates.aspx)

Thanks for posting the MSC info. I didn't realize that. I'm a veteran but not a retired veteran. I also retired from the federal government (civilian). 

Edited by davekathy

9 hours ago, George C said:

We just did an MSC cruise as Bella (non-Yacht Club), and it was wonderful.  Veterans discount at booking, with proof.

I might also mention that many cruiselines have a veterans' get-together during a cruise.  And RC's Grandeur of the Seas (and perhaps others) holds a tribute to veterans, police, emergency workers, Gold Star families one evening, and it is very nicely done.  There were two WW2 vets aboard our last two cruises; they had the honor of cutting the cake!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

In my humble opinion cruise lines should offer discounts to military ,police and fire persons.

I agree - and most do.  Again, the key point is they all don't offer it with every cruise, but offer it on select itineraries and sailing dates. Perhaps all lines should offer it on all sailings.

12 hours ago, damdifino said:

discounts for veterans are few and far between and may only cover one ship or itinerary, or even one cabin category.    we have yet to find any  military discount that  was  better than any of the typical sales that are constantly being offered.  once on Carnival they ran a deal where you book the lowest category gty and they automatically bumped it up to the highest category GTY.  difference of a couple of hundred dollars and  a better( according to  them) location.  

you just need to pick a itinerary you like then  book at a price you are happy with.  

I have found that a Military Rate , when offered, is seldom the Best Rate available to you .

Often the current Sale Promos are a better choice .

Princess and Cunard offer Military OBC on virtually every sailing and can be combined with their current Sale Promo Rates as well as stacked with other OBC's that you may qualify for .

I have never seen a  Military OBC or Rate only for Disabled Veterans .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I agree - and most do.  Again, the key point is they all don't offer it with every cruise, but offer it on select itineraries and sailing dates. Perhaps all lines should offer it on all sailings.

That is my point that they should do that .

Alan Buckelew, former CEO of Princess, is a VietNam Vet and has been instrumental in the cruise line's recognizing veterans with OBC based on length of the cruise. Once the copy of the DD214, darken out the SS#, is faxed to Princess and enetered nto their data base, the credit automatically appears whenever we book a cruise. DH once went on a veterans' cruise hosted by Mr. Buckelew. Princess holds a Vet's get-together on every cruise - last one, DH came back to the cabin to say he met someone who was in country, same time he was, same division, etc. 

From experience, we always look for a good promo rate and book the cruise. The Vet's OBC can be combined with FCC, TA and stock holders $$.

Darcy

15 hours ago, davekathy said:

Thanks for posting the MSC info. I didn't realize that. I'm a veteran but not a retired veteran. I also retired from the federal government (civilian). 

For one year I worked for the US Department of Labor.It was a program to retrain soldiers who fought in Vietnam who were disabled .We worked with public and private agencies to help these soldiers find employment.It was very difficult but when we could help them it was very rewarding.

11 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

For one year I worked for the US Department of Labor.It was a program to retrain soldiers who fought in Vietnam who were disabled .We worked with public and private agencies to help these soldiers find employment.It was very difficult but when we could help them it was very rewarding.

About two years after I returned back to the world from Vietnam I got a job with the Defense Dept./ U.S Air Force at the local Air Force Base by my house as a civilian. I retired (CSRS) in 2014 at the age of 62 after 39 years, 5 months and 3 days. I was hired back then on a veterans program. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davekathy said:

About two years after I returned back to the world from Vietnam I got a job with the Defense Dept./ U.S Air Force at the local Air Force Base by my house as a civilian. I retired (CSRS) in 2014 at the age of 62 after 39 years, 5 months and 3 days. I was hired back then on a veterans program. 

Thanks, Dave, for your service as well.  We are the same age, but I never did serve.  However, your and all other's service is something for which I have a tremendous amount of respect. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, davekathy said:

Many of my friends served in Vietnam ,a few did not come back.Those who did went into law enforcement.

• 2 weeks later...