Why Tip at the Beginning of a Cruise?

GRBlizz

ON day 1 of a cruise we always seek out our cabin steward. If he/she hasn't made an appearance we ring them and seek a meeting. At that time we outline want we want and expect and we get agreement on what is going to happen going forward. This way there is no argument if things that are agreed to are not provided. During the course of the cruise if our cabin attendant is working on anther room we always pop a head in and say good morning or good evening with a smile. We have had the odd occasion to get housekeeping involved but moved on from there. Only once have we had a surly attendant and we made it known we were not impressed

we see on this forum and others how many allegedly tip each drink , each coffee and each meal. My answer to that is crap. In five years and 12 cruisers I have only once seen money change hands when getting a drink and that was on the morning coffee run at Al Bacio. We have sat at numerous bars and coming from a non tipping culture we notice these things.

Edited by Beanb41
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Life Buoy said:

Hint: Lock the door from the inside when you are in the room and no one can walk in. I would have reported the incident. They have so many security cameras they could have traced the path of your luggage and would have seen who might have tampered with it. 

Yes I do lock the door now as I often travel solo this was back in 2011 when DH used to cruise with me. Did not know about tracing of the luggage. We were just happy to have found it and was afraid we'd miss our flight home had we spent time to report the incident.  

On 2/3/2020 at 2:20 PM, Life Buoy said:

By your definition a tip before a service is rendered is in fact a bribe since it is given so that the recipient of the tip will be induced to do extra for the one giving the tip The extra might be priority in receiving future service or skipping a line to receive service.. My guess would be that most of those who tip prior to service are thinking that they are doing so to get some advantage. Your definition says "typically illegal or dishonest" it doesn't imply always illegal or dishonest.

Thank you for the definition, it clarifies the matter.

LOL..y’all are great.

Can I continue to ask for ice daily or is that illegal too?  

• Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 10:38 AM, Pinboy said:

You won't find me in " that line " at Guest Relations " wimping out " of the automatic gratuities on the first day or even worse the last day.   

I can't believe that people do this.  I'm sure they do, I just can't believe it.  I don't think anyone on this board would admit to it.  

Every single staff I've dealt with on X has been so nice, so respectful, so accommodating..  The last cruise we took on Equinox last year was in the middle of the whole "footstool" debacle.   The room attendant brought us a "shower stool" to use as a footstool.  It was a joke, but at least he tried.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, calicakes said:

I can't believe that people do this.  I'm sure they do, I just can't believe it.  I don't think anyone on this board would admit to it.  

Every single staff I've dealt with on X has been so nice, so respectful, so accommodating..  The last cruise we took on Equinox last year was in the middle of the whole "footstool" debacle.   The room attendant brought us a "shower stool" to use as a footstool.  It was a joke, but at least he tried.  

I know of some who have completely removed all gratuities on the last day of a cruise for very minor issues and these are people who are financially well off.

On 2/4/2020 at 3:59 PM, Life Buoy said:

Hint: Lock the door from the inside when you are in the room and no one can walk in. I would have reported the incident. They have so many security cameras they could have traced the path of your luggage and would have seen who might have tampered with it. 

They can get past the lock on the inside of the door. On Princess once (yes, yes, another line but also true on Celebrity), I was in my cabin on my phone, door locked, when the steward knocked once and used a key to come in. I was not happy.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

They can get past the lock on the inside of the door. On Princess once (yes, yes, another line but also true on Celebrity), I was in my cabin on my phone, door locked, when the steward knocked once and used a key to come in. I was not happy.

Mine did it twice I told him the first time did it again and I reported him. I'm sure he cut off our luggage tags.  

There is a do not disturb card one can hang on the door. If someone knocks on my door I always yell out and go to the door. If the steward hears nothing they must assume that no one is home and come and do their business. One can always lock the door and put the catch to prevent opening.

Pretty precious some people

On 2/4/2020 at 4:22 PM, Beanb41 said:

ON day 1 of a cruise we always seek out our cabin steward. If he/she hasn't made an appearance we ring them and seek a meeting. At that time we outline want we want and expect and we get agreement on what is going to happen going forward. This way there is no argument if things that are agreed to are not provided. During the course of the cruise if our cabin attendant is working on anther room we always pop a head in and say good morning or good evening with a smile. We have had the odd occasion to get housekeeping involved but moved on from there. Only once have we had a surly attendant and we made it known we were not impressed

we see on this forum and others how many allegedly tip each drink , each coffee and each meal. My answer to that is crap. In five years and 12 cruisers I have only once seen money change hands when getting a drink and that was on the morning coffee run at Al Bacio. We have sat at numerous bars and coming from a non tipping culture we notice these things.

A formal meeting ?? “ what I want and expect “, “ get agreement what is going to happen going forward “ .  That’s  negotiation . Back the person into a corner and later find a reason not to tip ?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, calicakes said:

There are several threads on CC relating to gratuities.  If you have the time to read them you will see the kinds of people out there that just want to “ stir things up “.

They hide behind their  CC name and we don’t know who they are.

Not so sure they would be as arrogant in person.

We have been on over 40 cruises and never once had a bad experience with a staff member .  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

A formal meeting ?? “ what I want and expect “, “ get agreement what is going to happen going forward “ .  That’s  negotiation . Back the person into a corner and later find a reason not to tip ?

think you reading a negative into what is a positive to ensure we all have a great cruise passengers and staff

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2020 at 3:22 PM, Beanb41 said:

Hello friend, look for me and you will see me tipping for drinks often.

On 2/4/2020 at 4:22 PM, Beanb41 said:

We usually tip when we order a drink.   Sometimes neither of us has remembered to carry enough single dollar bills as we are wandering around the ship and so we don't always have cash in hand when ordering a drink, but we usually remember to have a couple of dollars.  There is a very discreet way of folding the money and handing the server the sea pass card with the money tucked into the back of the card.   The purpose of a tip is to thank the server, not to show off to the rest of the passengers.   We've only been on 6 cruises in the last five or so years.   Maybe if we saved a couple of hundred dollars on each cruise by not tipping extra we would be able to travel twice as often?  

So, please don't say something is crap just because you haven't witnessed money changing hands.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike981 said:

LIfe is too short to spend time whether or not someone adds a tip to every drink or not.  My point is that many big note on forums like this and in reality don't follow through with their boasts. If you tip every drink then fine its your holiday and your money to do with as you wish but I stand by my comments. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rotoal said:

We usually tip when we order a drink.   Sometimes neither of us has remembered to carry enough single dollar bills as we are wandering around the ship and so we don't always have cash in hand when ordering a drink, but we usually remember to have a couple of dollars.  There is a very discreet way of folding the money and handing the server the sea pass card with the money tucked into the back of the card.   The purpose of a tip is to thank the server, not to show off to the rest of the passengers.   We've only been on 6 cruises in the last five or so years.   Maybe if we saved a couple of hundred dollars on each cruise by not tipping extra we would be able to travel twice as often?  

So, please don't say something is crap just because you haven't witnessed money changing hands.   

Just now, Beanb41 said:

LIfe is too short to spend time whether or not someone adds a tip to every drink or not.  My point is that many big note on forums like this and in reality don't follow through with their boasts. If you tip every drink then fine its your holiday and your money to do with as you wish but I stand by my comments. 

Discretion and an afternoon at a bar don't go hand in hand in my experience. If you tip fine but you will be in the minority

17 minutes ago, rotoal said:

There is a very discreet way of folding the money and handing the server the sea pass card with the money tucked into the back of the card.   The purpose of a tip is to thank the server, not to show off to the rest of the passengers.   

This👆

• Like 2

having sailed many times we have got to know a few workers and have had many discussions.   They really despise and hate when they are tipped up front as they feel that they are being bought, and because most ( most not all)  that do that usually then expect (demand) special service or attention.  

The workers take great pride in their profession and feel better when given the extra gratuity at the end because the base of that word is grateful.  You are were pleased with their great service and they earned it.  

TIP a is what the acronym stands for, To Insure Promptness, and that basically means you are paying them because you feel It is needed to get better service and to them it is an insult. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 1

We give at beginning and at the end, and have had nothing but excited and happy responses, and have asked for nothing but ice and wine glasses. If they were insulted, they managed to get over it and disguised it with hugs and big smiles.

15 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Same here....when the waiters realize it, especially around the pool....you never go without a drink.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

3 hours ago, Life Buoy said:

I've found that a sincere "thank you" works well. A positive comment card notation is also appreciated. 

We do that as well, I believe we had four mentioned on the comment card last month.

And just for the record for those keeping score at home, I don't tip so other cruisers think I'm a big shooter or trying to be (come on, were talking $1/$2 here). It's just what I do. A good drink with a smile and I'm a fan. We had a woman at the Ensemble lounge on the Reflection last month who was UNBELIEVABLE with everyone. Well, except for the jerk who walked up banging his room card on the bar and kept clearing his throat. She looked at him and said, "I will be there in a few moments." She made sure everyone at the bar was served and then took care of Mr. Self Important.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

We do that as well, I believe we had four mentioned on the comment card last month.

And just for the record for those keeping score at home, I don't tip so other cruisers think I'm a big shooter or trying to be (come on, were talking $1/$2 here). It's just what I do. A good drink with a smile and I'm a fan. We had a woman at the Ensemble lounge on the Reflection last month who was UNBELIEVABLE with everyone. Well, except for the jerk who walked up banging his room card on the bar and kept clearing his throat. She looked at him and said, "I will be there in a few moments." She made sure everyone at the bar was served and then took care of Mr. Self Important.

If that's the guy with " Entitled Jerk " on his muscle shirt -- the loudest mouth at the bar--- the guy that pushes in line in the Oceanview Cafe -- and wears his hat backwards --- I've seen him on every cruise . 

I disagree with those that think that people tip at the beginning of a cruise are bribing for better service.  On the first day of the cruise, I meet my cabin steward and always ask for extra bed pillows, ask for a couple  extra towels to be in the bathroom each day, ice in my room and extra hangers.  Once I receive those items, I give him/her a tip - that is money for a job well done.  During the cruise, as he/she also continues to do little extra things for me, and their regular job well done, I tip.  And at the end of the cruise I tip again.  Nothing different than tipping at the end of a meal at a restaurant.  I think cabin stewards work their butt off for us and the daily tip that is charged to our accounts is distributed widely to workers on the ship.  So I for one feel that my cabin steward deserves every tip I give them, especially since some people don't tip at all (remove their tip from their account).  It's a personal decision for me.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CallyCruzer said:

Nothing different than tipping at the end of a meal at a restaurant.

But it is different, very different. Unless, of course, you tip when you are brought your menu, then tip again after each course is brought to your table, and then tip again at the end of the meal.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

But it is different, very different. Unless, of course, you tip when you are brought your menu, then tip again after each course is brought to your table, and then tip again at the end of the meal.

This ^^^^^^^

And tip again, even though the restaurant has already added a service charge to the bill.