Evening Chic - what do women REALLY wear these days?

NorthernLights45

On 2/3/2020 at 8:07 AM, dkjretired said:

Just to point out, evening chic night does not apply to Luminae, Blu or the Specialty Restaurants which are smart casual every night of the cruise, only applies in  the MDR.   

And at the show on those nights.

Just chiming in to say that probably no one remembers what you wore to dinner except maybe your spouse.  I have a cruising friend who wears lots of black (slacks and tops) and changes up her look with bright scarves, including a couple of them with sequins for dressy nights.  She takes a transatlantic with just a rollaboard! 😲 Insists people only see her from the waist up at dinner.  😉  I copy her plan with my rollaboard in case my checked bag doesn't make it.  And while I get her point, I definitely have a checked bag and bring more stuff - it's a vacation!  I will admit, though, I rarely remember what blouse/top someone wears (jewelry, yes).  

11 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

Just chiming in to say that probably no one remembers what you wore to dinner except maybe your spouse.  I have a cruising friend who wears lots of black (slacks and tops) and changes up her look with bright scarves, including a couple of them with sequins for dressy nights.  She takes a transatlantic with just a rollaboard! 😲 Insists people only see her from the waist up at dinner.  😉  I copy her plan with my rollaboard in case my checked bag doesn't make it.  And while I get her point, I definitely have a checked bag and bring more stuff - it's a vacation!  I will admit, though, I rarely remember what blouse/top someone wears (jewelry, yes).  

But even if you do remember, or if someone else remembers what you wore, so what.

There is nothing in the cruise contract that prohibits wearing the same thing more than once. 😁

Even Kate Middleton (future queen of England) repeats the same outfits.

Edited by varoo
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, varoo said:

But even if you do remember, or if someone else remembers what you wore, so what.

There is nothing in the cruise contract that prohibits wearing the same thing more than once.

Even Kate Middleton (future queen of England) repeats the same outfits.

Many people bring different accessories- a scarf, jacket, sweater- and jewelry- but if you do not care and it works for you go for it!  Just please use the laundry and or dry cleaners!  Have had stinky table and theatre mates sitting next to us!  

On 2/2/2020 at 3:28 PM, Want2Cruise 701 said:

I still dress up for evening chic just as it were formal night.  I wear dresses every night and nicer ones for chic.  The mediterranean is dressier than the caribbean itineraries.  

This is exactly my style as well.   Dresses or tops with lots of bling every night.   It's part of the fun and very easy to pack.  One-piece maxi-dresses,  black dress pants with assorted dressy tops.   A pouch with my cruise-themed jewelry.   Day time is usually white capri pants and fun tops.    I keep everything in my cruise closet at home, so it's easy to grab when time to pack!!

We are huge fans of chic night!  We’ve been there, done that with formal nights and do not miss all the extra packing.  Husband was thrilled to give up his tuxedo!  
what’s great about these evenings is anything goes...and people are smiling and having fun.  Bring what you’re comfortable wearing.  Enjoy your cruise!  

• Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 5:04 PM, Cruizen Susan said:

This is exactly my style as well.   Dresses or tops with lots of bling every night.   It's part of the fun and very easy to pack.  One-piece maxi-dresses,  black dress pants with assorted dressy tops.   A pouch with my cruise-themed jewelry.   Day time is usually white capri pants and fun tops.    I keep everything in my cruise closet at home, so it's easy to grab when time to pack!!

Hi Susan - hope you are keeping well 😊

23 minutes ago, agibeault said:

I will be wearing this old navy jersey swing dress that I got for $10 with a waist belt both nights! I got mine in tall so it hits just above my knee. No one will be the wiser!

product photo

I have several similar dresses! I wear them to dinner with heels/belts/statement jewelry, and the next day wear it unbelted and casual/swimsuit cover up for excursions. Great for Caribbean cruises. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, agibeault said:

I will be wearing this old navy jersey swing dress that I got for $10 with a waist belt both nights! I got mine in tall so it hits just above my knee. No one will be the wiser!

product photo

Yup. I have several dressy tops and two pair of black pants. A bit of jewelry and good to go.

Hubby wears either a dress shirt and tie or a turtleneck t-shirt with a sportscoat.

Again we usually to transatlantic cruises followed by some time in Europe or ? Packing light more important.

Being Elite means we use dry cleaning, laundry or the sink. Nothing smells.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 12:04 PM, Cruizen Susan said:

Hi Susan.  I don't know if you remember, but we were on the Eclipse together a few years back :)

3 hours ago, The Mommy said:

Hi Susan - hope you are keeping well 

Hi Gayle!!   Very well, thank you!!   I think we were booked to cruise with you last March but had to cancel.   We'll be on the Sillhouette next month,  as I'm sure you're busy cruising as well!!   Miss seeing you at the Martini Bar!

16 minutes ago, Cruizen Susan said:

Hi Gayle!!   Very well, thank you!!   I think we were booked to cruise with you last March but had to cancel.   We'll be on the Sillhouette next month,  as I'm sure you're busy cruising as well!!   Miss seeing you at the Martini Bar!

Hello Susan

we just got off Summit - great cruise 

yes I remember you had to cancel - hope you are ok now 

I still live the martini bar on any ship lol 😂 

stay well 

Gail 

1 hour ago, The Mommy said:

Hello Susan

we just got off Summit - great cruise 

yes I remember you had to cancel - hope you are ok now 

I still live the martini bar on any ship lol 😂 

stay well 

Gail 

Oops spelled Gail wrong!!   Wonderful!  We were on the Summit in May/June this past year to Bermuda and New England,  drove to the port in New Jersey.   Easy travel, great smaller ship.   Hubby was recovering from hip surgery, doing much better now.  Enjoy those martinis...best bar on the ship,  great conversations and great people watching!   Stay uswell and be blessed....

Susan

I normally would wear similar clothes to prior posts, but when we sail on the Silhouette for a TA to Southampton in April, we will be wearing the tux and long gowns because we will be sailing back home on the QM2 for the first time, and will be observant of their dress code.  We certainly won’t want to waste luggage space for dressy evening chic plus the formal wear needed for Cunard.
So, my point is that everyone is doing their own thing, so do your own thing!  I personally love to see the people who make the effort to dress more formally, even when I am not going formal myself.  I would say we are about 50/50 with the level we dress up.  I have the good fortune to have a husband who enjoys wearing his tux but some vacations there’s just not room for all the fancy stuff.  So, be comfortable and have fun.  Aside from shorts and maybe torn jeans on formal nights I don’t think anyone cares what you wear.  

• Like 2