News on the Westerdam

dillpickle48

9 minutes ago, arabrab said:

If they want the $$$$ benefits of flagging the ship in the Netherlands, incorporating Carnival Corporation in Panama, and incorporating Carnival plc in England and Wales, then those are the countries they should be looking to for help with their problem. 

The Netherlands is working on the problem (as the ship’s flag state).  Don’t make it sound like flagging the ship in The Netherlands is like flying a flag of convenience.  It’s not.  It’s a first rate maritime flag state.  HAL’s ships have been registered in Rotterdam since their beginning in 1873 (with some exceptions of the Netherlands Antilles and Panama in the 1970’s and early 80’s and one or two in the Bahamas in the 1990s).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, eroller said:

At the rate things are going, they may have to make a fuel-only stop and continue to Australia.  This is exactly what QM2 is doing.    She is currently refueling in Port Klang (Malaysia) with no pax disembarking, then continuing to Fremantle Australia.  

From CNN News updated about 3-1/2 hours ago. See the quote from the Thai PM highlighted in orange below about offering fuel and supplies to Westerdam if they so request...

A cruise ship carrying more than 2,000 people has been denied entry to at least 4 ports

From CNN’s Kocha Olarn in Bangkok

The MS Westerdam, which has more than 2,000 people on board, has now been denied entry by at least four different ports over fears of the Wuhan coronavirus.

Thailand’s Prime Minister said the country would try to assist the ship but that it would not allow the boat to dock in Thailand to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

No cases of the coronavirus have been confirmed on the ship so far.

The ship had originally departed Singapore on January 16 and called into ports in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Hong Kong, according to marinetraffic.com.

In Hong Kong, the ship disembarked 1,254 guests and embarked 768 guests before departing, cruise company Holland America said.

Where was it meant to go? The ship planned to make stops in the Philippines, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, and finally China but revised the ship’s final destination from Shanghai to Yokohama following a warning by the US CDC on January 28th, according to the company. The Philippines and Taiwan announced closure of their ports to cruise ships due to the fear of coronavirus, and Japanese authorities announced they would deny the ship entry -- leaving it in a "holding pattern" in the sea.

The cruise liner later announced plans to dock in Laem Chabang, Thailand to allow its passengers to disembark.

But at a press conference Tuesday, Prime Minister Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha said:

We are not allowing them to dock on our port, however we will look into humanitarian assistance, if they wanted to refill their fuel or resupply their food and water, we would definitely provide."
"There are a lot of people on board, more than 2,000 people. We have to be careful, not allowing the situation to turn into stage 3 of disease spreading (in Thailand),” he added.

Edited by Mandalay1903

1 hour ago, eroller said:

At the rate things are going, they may have to make a fuel-only stop and continue to Australia.  This is exactly what QM2 is doing.    She is currently refueling in Port Klang (Malaysia) with no pax disembarking, then continuing to Fremantle Australia.  

Actually, QM2 did disembark something like 110 passengers (I don't have the actual numbers but I think that's the number Safarigal said).  There were scheduled turnaround calls in Singapore and Hong Kong (at first replaced by a repeat call to Singapore).  I assume those disembarking in Port Klang were planning to get off in Singapore the next day and didn't have the time to stay aboard another week.

Oops, Safarigal did not give the number but I may have seen it on the Cunard forum.  Here's Safarigal's post:

https://whereissafarigal.wordpress.com/2020/02/11/day-15-3/

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 1

Just to throw in some irony to the situation, I just received HAL notification for our April 11-25 Westerdam cruise, Japan and Russia, regarding Russia visa requirement.

Shaking my head.... but I am guessing this is an automated send out,timed “x” number of weeks before departure.

Just twiddling my thumbs, hoping that the cruise is cancelled, or modified - and will wait  for the cancellation offer from HAL.

I am so glad we have been to Japan twice before, so if this ends up a no go, so be it.  but must be disappointing for those who have never been, and to miss cherry blossom time if cruises to Asia are discontinued.

We just came back last week from a Thailand land trip, and I was nervous then already!  Never mind with the developments since.

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

13 hours ago, netpj said:

Thanks for posting the information.  As of right now (11:30 a.m in Port Kelang), Cunard has not advised us about any of this.  Guess they are too busy trying to assist the 116 passengers who have chosen to disembark here!

The above from the Cunard thread on QM2.  I knew I saw something like 110 passengers somewhere.

Roy

21 minutes ago, CJcruzer said:

Just to throw in some irony to the situation, I just received HAL notification for our April 11-25 Westerdam cruise, Japan and Russia, regarding Russia visa requirement.

Shaking my head.... but I am guessing this is an automated send out,timed “x” number of weeks before departure.

Just twiddling my thumbs, hoping that the cruise is cancelled, or modified - and will wait  for the cancellation offer from HAL.

I am so glad we have been to Japan twice before, so if this ends up a no go, so be it.  but must be disappointing for those who have never been, and to miss cherry blossom time if cruises to Asia are discontinued.

We just came back last week from a Thailand land trip, and I was nervous then already!  Never mind with the developments since.

Carol

We're booked on the very next cruise, and waiting for the same cancellation.  We've never been to Japan before, got an excellent deal flying comfort+ on Delta, but this will all have to wait.  We had considered various repositions between Singapore, Hong Kong, and Japan, including the cruise sailing right now.

1 minute ago, Himself said:

That is what I understand.  

Would be interested to know where you got the information, as it seems to contradict all available information (stating that Thailand denied them entry). Cruisemapper also shows the ship well offshore. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/westerdam-cruise-ship-denied-entry-five-ports-thailand-no-coronavirus-2020-2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CJcruzer said:

Carol

Carol:  I am booked on the cruise after yours, the transpacific departing Yokohama on April 25th.  I tried to do a mock booking on the HAL site for both of our cruises a few minutes ago.  When I clicked on ANY cabin category, "The cabin category you have selected is no longer available", message appeared, and this happened across all cabin categories on both cruises.  I believe they are going to cancel us soon.

Previously there was plenty of availability on both cruises.

Edited by Taters
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Himself said:

I hear she is docked in Thailand with only the crew living on her right now. 

Not sure where you heard this but totally untrue.

Thailand announced yesterday they were refusing Westerdam entry.  HAL is now looking for other options.

Everyone is on board and at sea as they have been for the last 11 days.

Just a quick update, not specifically HAL but the situation in general.  I am on the Crystal Serenity and we (along with 4 other ships) have just been denied entry to Tonga.  At least 3 of the ships are westbound with the last significant stop being in Papeete.  It is apparent that panic is spreading.  I wonder if Westie's best option might be to quarantine everybody and sail for Hawaii.  If they can disembark the Americans perhaps they can move those in inside cabins to better rooms for the remainder of her quarantine until the 14 days is out, and then perhaps somebody will let them dock. 

While I think the chance of coronavirus on Westie is virtually zero, at this point it seems to be a question of absolute proof to the authorities that it is actually zero.

Roy

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Actually, QM2 did disembark something like 110 passengers (I don't have the actual numbers but I think that's the number Safarigal said).   

Even better then.  Perhaps HAL could use this same port to disembark.  

47 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

Boy cruise ships in Asia are just plain "toxic" right now....no one wants to touch them!

Probably viewed as "Plague Ships".  Hopefully that perception doesn't spread or the cruise industry will be in deep s*#!.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, eroller said:

Probably viewed as "Plague Ships".  Hopefully that perception doesn't spread or the cruise industry will be in deep s*#!.  

Some of these smaller communities with limited health resources are probably being wise to deny entry to big ships.  They have to look out for their own citizens first and foremost.  But that doesn't have to be the end of the cruise industry.  Perhaps onboard experience will be enhanced as in times past, so that if some ports are missed, it won't be so disappointing.  

We're all gonna have to adjust to a new normal, I think.  DH and I talked about it.  We love being at sea, so we will adjust, if shipboard life is attractive.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Some of these smaller communities with limited health resources are probably being wise to deny entry to big ships.  They have to look out for their own citizens first and foremost.  But that doesn't have to be the end of the cruise industry.  Perhaps onboard experience will be enhanced as in times past, so that if some ports are missed, it won't be so disappointing.  

We're all gonna have to adjust to a new normal, I think.  DH and I talked about it.  We love being at sea, so we will adjust, if shipboard life is attractive.

What I posted was a worst case scenario.  I don't really see it going that far, but I'm no fortune teller and can't predict the future.  

Perception is a strong thing.  If this becomes far more serious and wide spread, people won't want to be confined to a ship regardless of where it sails ... even all sea days.  Not if they get the reputation of virus spreading plague ships.  Like I said worst case scenario.  

One thing is for sure, I'm guessing most cruise line executives are losing sleep right now wondering where this will go and how to contain the damage.  It's a PR nightmare and a tarnish to an industry that already suffers from some negative perceptions.  They also have the added burden of figuring out what to do with idol ships, something the cruise industry has rarely had to deal with ... at least not under these circumstances.   

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Taters said:

Carol:  I am booked on the cruise after yours, the transpacific departing Yokohama on April 25th.  I tried to do a mock booking on the HAL site for both of our cruises a few minutes ago.  When I clicked on ANY cabin category, "The cabin category you have selected is no longer available", message appeared, and this happened across all cabin categories on both cruises.  I believe they are going to cancel us soon.

Previously there was plenty of availability on both cruises.

Funnily enough, since I have had 4-5 couples notify me they cancelled the cruise (as I am organizing  private excursions) I thought there would be vacancies -  so I believe you may be correct in your assumption the6 may be cancelling soon.

HAL probably does not want anyone to jump in now, and then after they would get cancellation credits if and when HAL decides to pull out of Asia,

I also saw availability mid January, before this all started up, in some cabin categories.  

We shall see, but  there is big panic in Asia regarding the possible spread of Corona virus with visiting ships.   Personally, I should  think HAL does not want to get into the Diamond Princess situation -  bad enough the Westerdam is a ship without a country - but with an outbreak or possible quarantine of passengers - even worse scenario.

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer
  • Like 2

In the coming days, the amount of cases in HK will probably explode due to so many people from Wuhan going there before the quarantine on Jan 28th, estimated that 500,000 people fled to HK.   If the virus does have a 14 day (to 21 day they are now saying) incubation period, the day it would start appearing in HK is FEB 12-19.  IF there were people from Wuhan who had the virus. 

That was right around the time(JAN 30th) we would have arrived in HK to board the Westerdam that was to dock in HK on the 31st and leave on the FEB 1st.  HAL changed so that there was no over night in HK, only arriving on Feb 1 to board new people.  Thankfully we did not board due to the high risk in our opinion, much to the berating of our follow cruisers who were boarding Westerdam on our roll call.  

So, people in HK (like we would have been, as well as others boarding Westerdam) had a few days to shop, eat, mingle with possibly some people who may have been exposed in Wuhan.  

Whether the Westerdam has any cases will be evident in the next few days.  

11 minutes ago, eroller said:

One thing is for sure, I'm guessing most cruise line executives are losing sleep right now wondering where this will go and how to contain the damage.  It's a PR nightmare and a tarnish to an industry that already suffers from some negative perceptions.  They also have the added burden of figuring out what to do with idol ships, something the cruise industry has rarely had to deal with ... at least not under these circumstances.   

But bizarrely, CCL, RC and NCL stock prices are all up today ...

(I'm not being snarky. I do sincerely find it bizarre. Makes me think we (cruisers) are way more focused on this than the general public are.)

• Like 2