Coronavirus: Is it time for us to pull out of our cruise?

Sigh. So we are leaving on the Symphony next weekend, out of Florida. Part of me thinks: warm air, out of the NY area (thanks Anthem!) and no Chinese nationals etc so it's probably ok. 

Another part of me thinks, even if no coronavirus situation, someone might get the flu and get us all quarantined.

And then there is the small voice that says to tell them we were in contact with Chinese nationals (not true but maybe true--have been all over NY). If we can cancel, I can use the credit for later this year to cruise again. We have a place to go in Miami--and we have a cruise with our family at the end of the year.

My biggest fear is not getting the virus: my biggest fear is getting stuck on board. Between now and Feb 22, just wondering how much will change.

Thoughts?

Edited by CanonGraceCruiser

4 minutes ago, CanonGraceCruiser said:

Sigh. So we are leaving on the Symphony next weekend, out of Florida. Part of me thinks: warm air, out of the NY area (thanks Anthem!) and no Chinese nationals etc so it's probably ok. 

Another part of me thinks, even if no coronavirus situation, someone might get the flu and get us all quarantined.

And then there is the small voice that says to tell them we were in contact with Chinese nationals (not true but maybe true--have been all over NY). If we can cancel, I can use the credit for later this year to cruise again. We have a place to go in Miami--and we have a cruise with our family at the end of the year.

My biggest fear is not getting the virus: my biggest fear is getting stuck on board. Between now and Feb 22, just wondering how much will change.

Thoughts?

I think things like the flu and noro are bigger threats to you right now.

• Like 5

I’m cruising next week also and now because this situation with the anthem of the seas in New Jersey I’m having second thoughts 🤔 this is getting out of hands !!! Why cruise lines are allowing Chinese nationals on their cruises!!!!! 

• Like 1

We are going to NZ for three weeks first and on to Fiji on a cruise.Someone forsure will have the flu or sunstroke. If I could cancel without difficulty I would. I can not imagine being stuck on a ship . I hope a decision is made before we leave  for NZ. Good luck with your decision. It is not easy. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ivy86 said:

I’m cruising next week also and now because this situation with the anthem of the seas in New Jersey I’m having second thoughts 🤔 this is getting out of hands !!! Why cruise lines are allowing Chinese nationals on their cruises!!!!! 

They may have embarked before the new boarding rules took effect. This was an 11 night cruise.

• Like 6

I should mention that part of the decision making is the fact that I am immunocompromised....So that's not helping!

Still--I usually do just fine on cruises though and I take precautions. Still..... I can get over the norovirus and I get the flu shot but a different coronavirus knocked me out last year and it knocked my dad out, too.

Edited by CanonGraceCruiser

58 minutes ago, CanonGraceCruiser said:

19 million Americans have caught the flu this year, hospitalizing 140,000 and killing 10,000.  The cruise lines don't seem too worried about it.  🤨  One thing to remember: screening for the flu is as simple as having the nose swabbed and waiting a few minutes for the test results... so they could determine pretty quickly if a patient was sick from the flu.

You mentioned in your later post that you're immunocompromised... I'm going to guess that you're probably in better shape than others, since you're probably more diligent at taking precautions!  ("Washie-washie, washie-washie!")   My advice would be to enjoy your cruise.

--bruce T.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CanonGraceCruiser said:

Thoughts?

If you are worried abut this, you shouldn't even go to the grocery store

• Like 6

We are sailing out of Florida in a few weeks. Coronavirus has me concerned...but not for this cruise... it looks like the Anthem situation is more like the Costa ship in Italy than the Diamond Princess. I am hopeful the this virus wont reach the US in significant numbers in the next few months and that by that time we will have better and faster testing... and at least some treatments to reduce illness severity. My plan it to take a lot more of my prescription medication.... say enough for at least 14 extra days... and perhaps a larger supply of cold and flu medication (more for regular flu than this new thing)... and remember to limit touching of face after touching public surfaces... like railings and elevator buttons. But to be honest, I am glad we are driving... we always seem to get some crud whenever we fly. 

• Like 1

Just now, Another_Critic said:

And what is stopping people from lying about having contact with the "risk group"?

Absolutely nothing.  It’s not my fault.  I’m just telling the poster what will happen.  They won’t even let those of us who can’t sail on Anthem today (hopefully tomorrow but we don’t know yet) because of the potential Coronavirus, cancel the cruise.

We board the Oasis Sunday.  Have no intention of cancelling.  We're vigilant about handwashing & just hope others

are too.  We will wipe down our airline seat area & the hotel remote - the dirtiest thing in the room, wash after touching

door handles, menus, etc.  We will sanitize our room & utilize good hand technique throughout cruise . I'm a retired nurse

and am extremely vigilant with washing hands, the first line of defense.  It is so simple, but people just disregard sometimes.

I feel you can contact any germ anywhere, so it's up to me to ensure my safety and watch where others put their germy hands.

I am disgusted with women who go to the bathroom and walk out without washing their hands.  It makes me gag to think

they are going to eat with those germy hands.  Ugh.  I could go on forever, but this is our plan.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

And what is stopping people from lying about having contact with the "risk group"?

I don’t think they can stop it.  Or somebody traveling with the OP might really recall attending a gathering with a person from a risk group if they stop to think about it.

3 hours ago, CanonGraceCruiser said:

I should mention that part of the decision making is the fact that I am immunocompromised....So that's not helping!

Still--I usually do just fine on cruises though and I take precautions. Still..... I can get over the norovirus and I get the flu shot but a different coronavirus knocked me out last year and it knocked my dad out, too.

As you have a place to go in Miami, maybe you would be more comfortable with a land vacation this time.  You might have a a more relaxing time if you are not worried about illness. Your cruise is probably fairly low risk, but you have special concerns.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

If you are worried abut this, you shouldn't even go to the grocery store

Right. Except for when was the last time that the shopper on Aisle 9 caused the entire supermarket to be quarantined??

Again. Not that worried about getting sick. Much more worried that the gazillion flu cases that everyone keeps bringing up will cause a brouhaha and get us quarantined.

22 minutes ago, orville99 said:

We’re on Harmony in a CLS on Sunday. Highly doubt we’ll get “stuck” onboard, but I can think of worse places to be “stuck” for two weeks.

I thought that too. Then I read about conditions on the Diamond. That doesn't like fun. No water, delayed food and lousy quality. People hacking across the hall. And literally being stuck in your room with your family members for an indefinite period of time, using shampoo to wash your clothes. These are but a few of the stories I read about in the Diamond right now.