"Best burger at sea" am I the only one?

CanadaRob

2 hours ago, ryano said:

"Honey Stung Chicken" on Royal use to carry the same hype as a Guys Burger.  i guess it signifies that you are finally on a ship on vacation and that is a main go to when boarding except for a long time the HSC was only offered in the Windjammer on boarding day.   People on Carnival tend to flock to Lido buffet upon boarding leaving Guys with very short wait time.    I enjoy Guys burgers.  I have to chuckle when i hear they are greasy.  Burgers are suppose to be greasy.  The best burger to me is made with 73/27 ground beef.  I actually think Guys Burgers are 80/20 ground chuck though.  They are certainly better in MY opinion than Johnny Rockets and it is a nice touch that they are included.  I like the toppings like the carmelized onions etc.    

The thing i cant stand on Carnival that carries even more hype than a Guys burger is the warm melting chocolate cake.  Gross! 

I was right with you until you dissed the Carnival Melting Cake.  I forfeited years of my life to eat it twice last week.

With all the other choices in the buffet , I typically avoid the burger . 

I did have one on my last cruise ( allure ) , but only ate half of it . 

There are other items I prefer over this .

I must add though , the French fries are pretty good as soon as they come out .

1 hour ago, SuiteTraveler said:

I have trouble understanding why anyone would even want a burger, hotdog or pizza on a ship.  What appeals to me on a ship is seafood.  

Trouble with seafood it’s usually been frozen for 6 months.

Red meat freezes better.

6 hours ago, CanadaRob said:

Talking to other regular cruise line cruisers and this comes up as it does here from time to time.  It always goes something like" Guy's burgers are so great and they're included" or "

did you know The salty dog Ernesto's burger was voted the best at sea by cruise critic?"

I like a burger every now and then but I can't think of the last time I had a burger on a cruise ship(any cruise ship) 

Is there something about burgers on a cruise ship that make it a quintessential grab and go food?   I don't get why there is such a fascination with burgers?  

Am I the only guy that will forgo the burger for a quick sandwich or slice of pizza or a piece of fruit?  

Don't what to get into Royal's burgers good/no good just wondering about the whole trumpeting of burgers as a big deal.

I don't go out of my way for a burger but sometimes you just want one for lunch. Royal Caribbean has cured me of that. They are the worst burgers at sea the one's on Labadee were just as bad. I'm not picky about my burgers either. They just have to taste like meat.

1 hour ago, LouTheGlue said:

Guy's Burgers were my favorite

Carnival_Vista_Food-2016-05-19_16-31-45.thumb.jpg.440e193855547c2c5f901f4c957c8db2.jpg

Until we cruised on Nieuw Statendam and now the Dive-In Cannonball burger is my favorite

375881712_NIEUWSTATENDAM-2019-12-02_12-36-10.thumb.jpg.8cdd6c98faf52a55468f6b39dcf2dabb.jpg

Best of all these are free, not a fan of paying extra for JR.

Oh good to know. I am on Statendam twice this year to Norway and later to Iceland.

I am hoping the burgers will be good in Baltics.

18 hours ago, CanadaRob said:

I guess I'm curious about Princess cruisers that have had their burger it was rated best at sea by this very forum from The  Salty Dog

The free burger at the pool grill is just average.  I was not impressed with the Ernesto burger which is an extra cost.

23 hours ago, CanadaRob said:

Talking to other regular cruise line cruisers and this comes up as it does here from time to time.  It always goes something like" Guy's burgers are so great and they're included" or "

did you know The salty dog Ernesto's burger was voted the best at sea by cruise critic?"

I like a burger every now and then but I can't think of the last time I had a burger on a cruise ship(any cruise ship) 

Is there something about burgers on a cruise ship that make it a quintessential grab and go food?   I don't get why there is such a fascination with burgers?  

Am I the only guy that will forgo the burger for a quick sandwich or slice of pizza or a piece of fruit?  

Don't what to get into Royal's burgers good/no good just wondering about the whole trumpeting of burgers as a big deal.

When Guy's burgers first arrived on a Carnival ship they were awesome. Then they went to total garbage. Now they are just OK. Any burger I have on Royal is excellent. On some of there ships, in the evening in the buffet they hand make them. Awesome.

22 hours ago, bigeagle12 said:

Guy's burgers are the best.  Royal's are the worst.  Celebrity, Princess, and HAL are ok.

When was the last time yo had a Guy's burger. I had them when they first introduced them on Carnival. Awesome. The best ever,. Since then they have turned into an average burger. At one point they were not even edible. Super thin you could actually see through it and burnt. They would actually crack in half. Now they are just OK.

23 hours ago, CanadaRob said:

Hamburger is the quintessential American food. I judge most of my local diners and pubs by how well they can make a burger. When trying someplace new, I often will get a burger b/c if they can't get that right, then it's not worth returning to.

On a cruise, after a couple days of fine dining, it's nice to have some comfort food. Sometimes by the end of a cruise, I'm craving a PB&J sandwich.

Having said that, most cruise line burgers are average at best but are good enough to help me thru my burger withdrawals. Except WJ and Labadee burgers, those are inedible.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I don't go out of my way for a burger but sometimes you just want one for lunch. Royal Caribbean has cured me of that. They are the worst burgers at sea the one's on Labadee were just as bad. I'm not picky about my burgers either. They just have to taste like meat.

Depending on the ship, MDR burgers can be okay for lunch. Nothing to brag about but at least they look and taste something like a burger.  And it's free unlike JR burgers, which is one of the few burgers that this burger-loving guy won't eat, either at sea on at mu local mall.