New RCI Policy: All Chinese Citizens banned from cruising

Royal Caribbean on Friday barred all travelers holding Chinese, Hong Kong or Macau passports from boarding its ships due to concerns over coronavirus.

The ban applies to anyone holding one of those three types of passports regardless of when the person was last in their home regions, the company said in a statement.

Additionally, regardless of nationality, any guest or crew member who has traveled to mainland China, Hong Kong or Macau, or been in contact with someone who has, less than 15 days before boarding won't be allowed to board the company's ships.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/royal-caribbean-cruise-passengers-n-j-screened-coronavirus-4-taken-n1132266?cid=sm_npd_ms_fb_ma

Edited by smartpeach

The travel industry is definitely an unfortunate business to be in right now. With this virus basically being an unknown threat, they have to process the information they do have at the moment and make decisions that are able to be enforced in a practical way. 

If they restrict travel to certain groups they are seen as racist. If they do not restrict people they are seen as being for profit above all else. They are truly in a no win situation. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fscool said:

I wonder if you get a full refund if you are denied boarding or if they just hold onto your money and give you a cruise credit?  

I've heard both on these boards so no idea.  We're in Sydney,  Australia,  with boarding the Radiance scheduled for Sunday.  No idea who we've passed on the street, etc.

25 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

It’s just a matter of time until somebody decides this is somehow racist.

As maybe but they can't afford to cancel cruise after cruise with the knock on effect being the eventually bankrupting of the company. No Chinese, Hong Kong or even Japanese on board a ship reduces to virtually zero the chance of the infection getting on board the ship.

4 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

I've heard both on these boards so no idea.  We're in Sydney,  Australia,  with boarding the Radiance scheduled for Sunday.  No idea who we've passed on the street, etc.

I think you just lose the money. Make sure you have insurance it might get something back.

As another who posted the screen capture here is the text, I think right 

😣

"Royal Caribbean said it would not allow people with passports from China, Hong Kong or Macau to board its ships, or anyone who traveled there in the past 15 days."

I can understand traveled to a place due to risk, but to outright say any Citizen from these three places, I guess we know who will soon wonder why they have no docking rights there either, wow pretty senseless setup for escalation of negative perception!

• Like 1

Other than cruising, coronavirus will affect the following:

* The 2020 Olympics in Japan.

* All the Dollar Stores.

* Amazon

* Walmart

* Chinatowns in San Francisco and New York....Seattle, Vancouver.

* I can predict less people going to Chinese restaurants.

* and lastly, those white tubes (said to be an upgrade toiletry) of shampoo, shower gel, conditioner, and body lotion, are all made in PRC....People's Republic of China.

What happens if somebody was banned because of fever but actually had a regular cold or a regular virus and they don't get their money back, they simply go to the doctor to get tested, found they are negative then sue RC for discrimination?  Oh boy, this is necessary but it can be a huge problem for the cruise line.

1 minute ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

What happens if somebody was banned because of fever but actually had a regular cold or a regular virus and they don't get their money back, they simply go to the doctor to get tested, found they are negative then sue RC for discrimination?  Oh boy, this is necessary but it can be a huge problem for the cruise line.

The suit would not go anywhere. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bludevil said:

I got the same email from RC and don't understand how they can outright ban anyone with a passport from China, Hong Kong, ir Macau regardless of residence. 

I'm sure they are consulting with CDC and local officials. In this case I don't think they are throwing darts at a board. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Was I low with my 5 guesstimate?

I think you have to count now because tomorrow will be all cleaned up/consolidated. 

Total stands at 7 including "Anthem News Flash", 8 if you include "Concerned about upcoming Harmony cruise". 

1 hour ago, bonsai3s said:

Other than cruising, coronavirus will affect the following:

* The 2020 Olympics in Japan.

* All the Dollar Stores.

* Amazon

* Walmart

* Chinatowns in San Francisco and New York....Seattle, Vancouver.

* I can predict less people going to Chinese restaurants.

* and lastly, those white tubes (said to be an upgrade toiletry) of shampoo, shower gel, conditioner, and body lotion, are all made in PRC....People's Republic of China.

In San Diego, I have already heard officials on the news trying to calm people to continue shopping in an area with many Chinese businesses. 

7 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Add another  - disguised in a customer service related thread.

And many more to come as new developments in the story come out. 

This is a big decision.  I kind of get it as the cruise lines really have no way of knowing where people are coming from.  

We are also receiving evacuation flights at MCAS Miramar (of Top Gun fame) with the passengers under quarantine at the base.

Edited by SelectSys

46 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

This is a big decision.  I kind of get it as the cruise lines really have no way of knowing where people are coming from.

Knowing where people are coming from is probably not that difficult to determine.  Edit: Well, I guess it could be since you don't know where they've been between their home and destination.

What is difficult is knowing if/when people have been exposed to the virus.

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Knowing where people are coming from is probably not that difficult to determine.  Edit: Well, I guess it could be since you don't know where they've been between their home and destination.

What is difficult is knowing if/when people have been exposed to the virus.

As I said on another thread, I just don't know what information the cruise lines can access and what happens if people carry / use multiple passports books.

I agree it seems super difficult to determine who has been exposed and if they are even sick.