On a lighter note...why are some so upset with the end of towel animals?

GettotheSun

As I understand it, NCL stewards are no longer doing towel animals due to the desire to save water and energy (a towel from a towel animal must be washed whether used or not).  

I'm very familiar with the towel animal thing from various all-inclusives, and while cute, I can't say I would miss them.  Even our kids were pretty much "meh" over them.  Like: " Oh look a towel animal, that's nice.  Anyway where are we going for dinner tonight?"

I've read some comments on CC reviews specifically about people being very upset or disappointed due to the lack of towel animals.  It's actually called out in many reviews as being a large disappointment.  I don't get it.

• Like 2

While they're cute, I found that the lack of them didn't negatively impact my enjoyment of the cruise.  I actually enjoyed my second trip on the Bliss last year MORE than the first - the CD (while good on both trips) and their staff have MUCH more of an impact on that, plus sailing with others to share in the good times made the second trip better.

One trip was before the towel animals were eliminated, the other was after.

Edited by hallux
  • Like 2

I can't say I'm upset. Disappointed maybe. It's a little something special to look for when you come into your room in the evening that you don't get anywhere but a cruise.

You can't deny that almost every group of photos someone takes on a cruise includes at least one towel animal photo. That in itself shows that it's a special memory that people want to remember. I think it's reasonable to be disappointed that that part is no longer a part of your daily experience. 

I kind of compare it to "Bags Fly Free" on Southwest Airlines. I can tell you (as part of their employee family) that it is the number one thing someone says when they find out you work for Southwest. "Oh, Bags Fly Free. I love that." If they were ever to change that, there would be an uproar.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

I thought that if you asked for them, they would still be available to you.

Is that true?  That's interesting to note.  I'd actually agree with that.  I don't think they should do it by default, but if a particular family really wanted them, I think that should be done as a courtesy, when requested. 

10 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

I thought that if you asked for them, they would still be available to you.

I've heard that - especially if you are traveling with children.

I got one on my last cruise - it was holding the card that told us to change our clocks.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GracyandGravy said:

You can't deny that almost every group of photos someone takes on a cruise includes at least one towel animal photo. That in itself shows that it's a special memory that people want to remember. I think it's reasonable to be disappointed that that part is no longer a part of your daily experience. 

That's true, lots of people do love the towel animal photo...it's like a staple.  I get your point that it would be a disappointment.  Probably less so for us with 2 boys who frankly only pretended to care they liked them, haha!

I have no affinity one way or the other for towel animals but I have enjoyed some pics of others who have collected them over a week long cruise and found myself wondering,  why don't I  care about towel animals?  What's wrong with me?

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Georgia_Peaches said:

I have not affinity one way or the other for towel animals but I have enjoyed some pics of others who have collected them over a week long cruise and found myself wondering,  why I didn't care about towel animals?  What's wrong with me?

LOL!!!  I clearly cared more about them than my kids - especially my (now) 14 year old.  When we came back to the room there was usually a towel animal.  I'd say "Look there's an elephant towel!".  And he'd say "Ya, cool Dad.  Can I get steak at the restaurant tonight?".  Actual conversation.  

• Haha 2

I think for some it's not the travel animals per se, but the perception that the little things that made cruising feel special are going by the wayside - after all, when was the last time you stayed in a regular hotel and got a towel animal?

I've only been cruising since 2011, primarily with NCL. During my first cruise on the Sun, we had towel animals, chocolates on the pillows, and room service was free. The specialty restaurants were a single upcharge with no mandatory additional gratuity. Drinks had straws, lol. Now it seems like a lot of things are gone completely and those that remain have a charge - I just read that they are now charging for the little steam room and sauna on the Sun! Ridiculous. 

For the record, I'm all for doing things that help the environment - but I'm also cynical enough to think that it's really $$$ behind it, and not any love for the earth.

Edited by bostongal965
new idea to add
  • Like 3

I started cruising long before towel animals were a thing.

It was the custom at the time that at turn down, the cabin steward would find one's night attire and fold and drape it on the bed.

I started packing a better quality night gown. I would also try stashing the nightgown somewhere in the cabin. It was always found, draped and folded on the bed.

I was  glad when then custom was stopped.

Then the towel animals appeared and they were fun for the first few nights (no pictures were ever taken).

Then they just became something that had to be moved out of the way. I used to just disassemble them, fold the towels and leave for use the next night. Asking that the our cabin be skipped for the towel animals never worked.

I won't miss towel animals and, hopefully, I don't need to start hiding my nightgown again.

• Like 3

To me towel animals are a cruise tradition.  I'm a grown adult and love towel animals.  I usually ask the steward to leave behind the animals so I end up with a zoo by the end of the cruise.  They still make animals by default on recent cruises on Carnival, RCCL and Celebrity.

I had a chat about animals with my steward on a very recent NCL cruise and he told me the "company line" is to save water but it has a lot more to do with the fact NLC has reduced personnel and each steward has to cover more staterooms so not having to make animals (unless requested) saves them time. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, GracyandGravy said:

I can't say I'm upset. Disappointed maybe. It's a little something special to look for when you come into your room in the evening that you don't get anywhere but a cruise.

I kind of compare it to "Bags Fly Free" on Southwest Airlines. I can tell you (as part of their employee family) that it is the number one thing someone says when they find out you work for Southwest. "Oh, Bags Fly Free. I love that." If they were ever to change that, there would be an uproar.

The 2 don’t compare to me.  Towel Animals are cute, but not getting one doesn’t cost me money. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dd likes to cruise said:

The 2 don’t compare to me.  Towel Animals are cute, but not getting one doesn’t cost me money. 

I understand what you are saying, but almost without fail when someone knows you work for Southwest, the first thing they mention is bags fly free. It's the experience, not the actual savings. And more specifically that it is just something people associate with Southwest, just like many people associate towel animals with the experience of cruising.

1 hour ago, Pat.D said:

To me towel animals are a cruise tradition.  I'm a grown adult and love towel animals.  I usually ask the steward to leave behind the animals so I end up with a zoo by the end of the cruise.  They still make animals by default on recent cruises on Carnival, RCCL and Celebrity.

I had a chat about animals with my steward on a very recent NCL cruise and he told me the "company line" is to save water but it has a lot more to do with the fact NLC has reduced personnel and each steward has to cover more staterooms so not having to make animals (unless requested) saves them time. 

And that's why I really hate to ask for them even though we really do love to see them every night. On the other hand, we are in a large 2 bedroom suite and it is really unlikely that the other bedroom or other bathroom will ever be touched, so maybe it wouldn't be so bad to ask since our room really won't take the time that it would if it had a family or more people in it. #tryingtojustify

• Like 1

I worked for a cruise line for 10 years. Now I just cruise for fun. I'm fine without towel animals, and pleased to hear the over-worked stewards have one less thing to do. I really hope passengers aren't complaining to them about the company choices. 

• Like 2

Not only do I not miss them, I am happy they are gone!  Go ahead and shun me LOL

Seriously, I cruise in the Haven and they are still providing towel animals without asking (on my October & December cruises) and I have had to ask them to stop - as I have always done.

Are they cute?  I guess.  But, as a disabled person with limited mobility, they are a PAIN.  There is enough I need to do when returning to the cabin then trying to figure out how to move the towel animal from the bed (trying not to have it fall apart) and finding someplace to put it so that I am not hurting the cabin steward's feelings (after they took the time to make it for me - I'm sure because they thought it would make me smile.)  After a long day out, I really don't need chores when I come back to the cabin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gstrick99 said:

I worked for a cruise line for 10 years. Now I just cruise for fun. I'm fine without towel animals, and pleased to hear the over-worked stewards have one less thing to do. I really hope passengers aren't complaining to them about the company choices. 

You are very naive if you think the time saved by not making towel animals is not being directed by upper management toward the room stewards to a larger work load.  After all, that was the entire point of eliminating towel animals, to save NCL money.  Has ZERO to do with environmental concerns.  Without having the numbers crunched, I would guess the time savings from no towel animals was enough to add 1 extra room to every room stewards daily work load.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, bostongal965 said:

I think for some it's not the travel animals per se, but the perception that the little things that made cruising feel special are going by the wayside 

I think this is the issue.  Cruising is no longer "special" beyond just being a floating version of chain hotels and restaurants.  Loss of towel animals is just one more degradation of the specialness. 

On another note, if they are still making them in the Haven then I believe that proves the decision has nothing to do with the environment and everything to do with saving money on the steerage class while keeping the Haven experience "special" much the way the overall cruise experience used to be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

On another note, if they are still making them in the Haven then I believe that proves the decision has nothing to do with the environment and everything to do with saving money on the steerage class while keeping the Haven experience "special" much the way the overall cruise experience used to be.

We were in a non-Haven suite on the Gem last month for 20 days. No towel animals. Didn’t miss them. Our fabulous cabin attendant had 16 staterooms to service, including several suites. I’d rather cabin attendants spend their time on their real work, of which they have plenty, not making towel animals. I suspect they do too.

• Like 1