Cruising without passport

jimbo5544

That's a hard lesson to learn.  I never travel outside of the US without travel insurance and a passport.  When we took my son's friends on a cruise, we made sure they got their passports before the trip.    It's not a risk I am willing to take.  I hope the boy recovers quickly.  That's scary.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

Reinforces our decision to pay for passports for our 4 and 7 year old grands before our family cruise this summer.   All other family members have them, but we had taken the boys on a couple of cruises with only their birth certificates.  

We always get travel insurance for any who are cruising with us.  Small price to pay for peace of mind.  

• Like 1

Last year,, we finally decided to make the decision to go on our first cruise. My wife's parents .went on several in their time.  I'm glad she talked me into it. Not either of us having a passport, we had many discussion on it.... passport or passport card. Since neither of us had either, we decided on a passport card.Which we have.  Better than nothing right? I'm now having second thoughts, about getting a full passport. 

We are taking our grandkids on a cruise in June. I know they have passports, but didn't know when they expire. Looks like not until May 2021. So we are good to go. My guess is if the parents had passports they would let her kid back in with her. I think the parents didn't have passports either. My husband and I have ours and it I don't think I'll ever let them go. Not in this day and age. 

2 minutes ago, coevan said:

passport card is useless for a flight, and why are you having second thoughts about getting a passport?

I'm well aware of that coevan. I'm questioning about the wisdom of getting ONLY a passport card. Back then it was a matter of cost, pure and simple. Now it's more of an issue of necessity...that we were not able to see. Now that has changed. Don't you agree?

Yes, traveling without a passport is a crap shoot of sorts but as sick as the little boy is it evidently is not an emergency and that would change the paradigm substantially. I say it's not an emergency because the family is being allowed to remain onboard and the ship is capable of treating him until they return home. Millions of people travel every year with something other than a passport on a closed loop cruise without issue so for the vast majority of travelers it's a low risk proposition. Everyone needs to make an informed decision as to what travel documents to use and they should use the one that best suits their needs and risk tolerance. 

After reading this I am glad my whole family has passports!

I regard getting a passport as a necessary and helpful form of travel. Yes its expensive but how much is the trip you are going on?  3 of my kids used their passports for travel in Europe at the last minute and they thanked me for getting them when they were younger and renewing them. 

I also get TSA precheck. It was $85 but have made a few planes at the last second so it came in handy. 

I just don't understand why there's a debate about it. If its for a minor it lasts 5 years. An adult is 10 years. On the cruise ship or hotel you put it in your safe. 

My "kids" (now 31/28) have had passports since ages 4/7, when we first started traveling with them.  Yes, it was an added expense at a time where money was spare, but we deemed it prudent in the long run to have them.  You don't think you need something until you need it - then it may be too late - especially when traveling.  Hope the little guy is getting the treatment he needs on the ship. If my child really needed medical treatment the ship couldn't provide I would have left the ship, gotten the treatment in Mexico, and worried later about how to get home, the expense, etc.  My child's health would come first.

• Like 1

Despite this article and the recommendations of most people in the travel industry, there will continue to be lots of people who cruise without a passport. Just not very smart in my opinion. It’s sort of like insurance (auto, home, renter’s, etc.), you hope you never need it but you better have it. 

43 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I also get TSA precheck. It was $85 but have made a few planes at the last second so it came in handy. 

My 1st thought (before we got them) was the TSA PRECHECK costs a lot. FYI, sitting in airport as I type, we use it a lot!  But on further thinking that is cheaper than some people spend on a pair of blue jeans!  Or as my Dad calls them, dungarees!  Or 2 nights eating out in a decent price restaurant. Or way less than a day at any nice amusement park. You just have to put in perspective sometimes and it doesn’t sound so bad. 

1 minute ago, dd likes to cruise said:

My 1st thought (before we got them) was the TSA PRECHECK costs a lot. FYI, sitting in airport as I type, we use it a lot!  But on further thinking that is cheaper than some people spend on a pair of blue jeans!  Or as my Dad calls them, dungarees!  Or 2 nights eating out in a decent price restaurant. Or way less than a day at any nice amusement park. You just have to put in perspective sometimes and it doesn’t sound so bad. 

I agree. We fly a lot so its worth it to us. 85 divided by 5 is 17. $17 a year is worth it!!!

I would have paid $850 when I had 5 children 13 and under standing in long lines at TSA in the past!!  

22 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I agree. We fly a lot so its worth it to us. 85 divided by 5 is 17. $17 a year is worth it!!!

I would have paid $850 when I had 5 children 13 and under standing in long lines at TSA in the past!!  

I had no idea it was that cheap or was good for 5 years. I only fly a couple of times a year, but at that price it's seems worth it to me. 

7 minutes ago, Rudyard said:

I had no idea it was that cheap or was good for 5 years. I only fly a couple of times a year, but at that price it's seems worth it to me. 

It is def worth it if you fly a decent amount. 

• Like 1

Living so close to Canada we all have passports.  It's just easier to cross the border.  My kids have had them since they turned 10 because they started to cross with other families.

Hoping the child is okay.  I would be a nervous wreck if that happened to my son.