MSC took away my Loyalty points!

Janan

I think that the problem was the OP's wording.

The OP doesn't like the "...3 year..." stipulation (many people also do not) but the wording used in the post seems more like "...what MSC did to me was wrong...".

If the wording was more like "...MSC's loyalty program is crap...MSC needs more variety in their itineraries...even if you book within 3 years, you lose your status if the cruise ends a few days after 3 years...", I think that most people would agree. 

I've had my own issues with VC but since loyalty status/points don't really mean much to me on any line, I don't let these things bother me. I hope that the OP has a great cruise. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 1

By No means am I saying I am the only one who has gotten "the short end of the stick" but it seems that I am the only one who is outraged by this behavior. I feel that perhaps if MSC knew how this policy was affecting their loyal customer base it may nor repeal the policy but they may try to "tweak" the policy so it is mutually beneficial to all involved. That may be naive but I feel if companies are to achieve longevity and good will with the customers that things may change. Let's face it there is really no difference in the product that cruiselines offer (perhaps the size of ships, the amenities on board; bowling alley, ice rink, water slides, etc) it all comes down to how they treat their customers. I think MSC has made a "BIG" mistake in how they are treating their customers and if they have their attention called to it the policy may change.

Andy

4 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I think that the problem was the OP's wording.

The OP doesn't like the "...3 year..." stipulation (many people also do not) but the wording used in the post seems more like "...what MSC did to me was wrong...".

If the wording was more like "...MSC's loyalty program is crap...MSC needs more variety in their itineraries...even if you book within 3 years, you lose your status if the cruise ends a few days after 3 years...", I think that most people would agree. 

I've had my own issues with VC but since loyalty status/points don't really mean much to me on any line, I don't let these things bother me. I hope that the OP has a great cruise. 

The only thing I can address is what they have done to me....Do I agree with most your points....yes. but MSC did take my Loyalty points...I felt violated because "in my mind" I did nothing to warrant their behavior. Certainly it is their business and they can do what they want; However, at one time I felt that MSC was rewarding my loyalty, and even though you may feel there are better loyalty programs out there I was happy with it...plus it felt good be recognized for loyalty which does not happen often in this world anymore. As I have said before I will deal with this and MSC will most certainly get less of my cruising business in the future, which I imagine is how other people will deal with this betrayal.

Andy

10 hours ago, Janan said:

I sincerely hope that your never put in a position where someone discounts your thoughts and feelings but i think that ship has already sailed (no pun intended) because of your significant lack of empathy and focus.

This thread was to point out what MSC did wrong, by discounting my loyalty to them as much as it could be, (with the limited itinerary I was offered due to my financial constraints) and by the same token (since I do not feel that my financial situation is unique or that I am special in anyway) many of their cruisers that may find themselves in the same position. I think what they are doing is wrong. If you feel by denigrating me and my thoughts and Yes feelings as well that this makes you the BIG man on campus then I have accomplished my mission by feeding your delusion.

Andy

To be FAIR, MSC's decision on itinerary has nothing to do with loyalty schemes.  It's about filling the cabins.  It's about making a profit.  And that's EXACTLY what their goal is - And should be!

I agree that the 3 year wipe-out of all loyalty credits is STUPID. 

I'm not an MSC cheerleader, but look at what is happening to the other cruise lines that keep loyalty points forever [e.g. Celebrity]:  the 'elite' group on board is so big that they don't have a venue for the loyalty party, so they switch to free drink coupons and the camaraderie is lost.  I would also point out that there are plenty of threads complaining about how other cruise lines don't value their 'loyal' customers because they sell VIP packages or give Suite guests lots of amenities.  I view loyalty program amenities as nice gifts, but I recognize that they are gifts – I did not earn them:  I paid for a cruise, they delivered the cruise I paid for = we're even.  Then if they give me some loyalty bennie on the next cruise = thanks!  

10 hours ago, sidari said:

Janan ... While I agree with you with the ridiculous system on three years while other lines keep you at your earned level there are those who will see your issue as minor compared to what Black card holders lost when MSC took away their loyalty club in order to change to the voyagers club and status match!

Im relatively new to MSC, but would like to know about the old black card loyalty club and why it was changed to accommodate the voyagers club and status match program.

We belong to Virgin Atlantic airline as well as cruise lines loyalty “clubs” and Virgin miles disappear if not used within 3 years . I accept this as part of the loyalty scheme as I also do with MSC.

The OP stated originally the itineraries were not suitable and couldn’t do Europe there is South America on your side of the pond.

25 minutes ago, gtaylor said:

There are 'points' and there is status.

With my airlines I get to keep my 'points' (miles) and with hotels my 'stays' but have to re qualify every year for

"status'. I know that - it is in their rules.

gary

MSC takes away both if you don't cruise every three years.  

The real question is "how are you showing loyalty if you don't cruise for three years?"  OP blames MSC for having boring itineraries – which is true – but only booking cruises because the itinerary or the price suits you doesn't actually show loyalty.  So why should you expect the cruise line to reciprocate?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The real question is "how are you showing loyalty if you don't cruise for three years?"  OP blames MSC for having boring itineraries – which is true – but only booking cruises because the itinerary or the price suits you doesn't actually show loyalty.  So why should you expect the cruise line to reciprocate?

Totally agree we have done 5 YC in 14 months and hav e another booked for 2021, I suspect the OP is looking for deals as well as itineraries 

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We have sailed MSC 10 times in 8 years, if we decide not to cruise with them for 2 years that does not mean we are no longer loyal to their brand! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm not an MSC cheerleader, but look at what is happening to the other cruise lines that keep loyalty points forever [e.g. Celebrity]:  the 'elite' group on board is so big that they don't have a venue for the loyalty party, so they switch to free drink coupons and the camaraderie is lost.  

We sail X quite often, but always in the cheap seats.  It took us FIVE cruises of about 45 days to reach the Celebrity first level loyalty category.

From OUR side, it was damn annoying to have prime areas of the ship taken over EVERY NIGHT for those elite cocktail parties.  Now that we're not peons anymore and can join the parties, we'd still prefer the coupons so we can select which bar and go to a variety of lounges.

I've never understood the hype for msc status match/voyager club. MSC  took away my points, and my status match, and I'm not even attempting to get either fixed for my next cruise in April. Not worth the headache of dealing with customer service.

The only benefit I would find appealing is the 5% and MSC is kind enough to give me 10% for being a civil servant, so that has no value to me personally. The 5% plus 10% cruises seem to be those less desirable so I'm not likely to ever use that perk. The OBC would be nice if I sailed MSC enough to build to the higher levels. I could care a less about a fruit basket. The welcome back cocktail wasn't to my liking (champaign and fruit juice?). The chocolate ship was disgusting (old, white, powdered). I'm not much for a tasting menu. I received a robe my very first msc cruise (fantastica) just by asking. The priority line for embarkation was much longer than the no status line. What am I missing?

Convince me to call MSC to get this sorted out :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Janan said:

By No means am I saying I am the only one who has gotten "the short end of the stick" but it seems that I am the only one who is outraged by this behavior. I feel that perhaps if MSC knew how this policy was affecting their loyal customer base it may nor repeal the policy but they may try to "tweak" the policy so it is mutually beneficial to all involved. That may be naive but I feel if companies are to achieve longevity and good will with the customers that things may change. Let's face it there is really no difference in the product that cruiselines offer (perhaps the size of ships, the amenities on board; bowling alley, ice rink, water slides, etc) it all comes down to how they treat their customers. I think MSC has made a "BIG" mistake in how they are treating their customers and if they have their attention called to it the policy may change.

Andy

I don't understand why you would be "outraged" when you knew the policy since you joined the VC. It is not like they sprung this on you with no notice.

If you felt that strongly against the policy, you should have chosen another line if you could not sail within 3 years.

BB ... For our Meraviglia Xmas cruise we arrived at 12.30 and went straight through security and onto the ship within 15 minutes, the other line still filled the building downstairs, I guess it depends on arrival time and where you sail from.

Odd that you had a white chocolate ship or did I misunderstand that ? All ours have been dark chocolate.

Our Divina cruise at Xmas 2018 was upgraded to a 5+15 % cruise which was great and this does happen on others, I agree that for many those 5+15 in the VC club are not viable though a few in the 5+10 have been of interest to us but part of the flight journey made them not bookable.

54 minutes ago, sidari said:

Odd that you had a white chocolate ship or did I misunderstand that ? All ours have been dark chocolate.

I think she meant that the ship, when exposed to air, dried out and got lighter and brittle.  Our first ones did the same thing.  But the last times they have been in plastic boxes and last a long time.  EM

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I think she meant that the ship, when exposed to air, dried out and got lighter and brittle.  Our first ones did the same thing.  But the last times they have been in plastic boxes and last a long time.  EM

Exactly! But ours was in a plastic box. It was dark chocolate that had white spots, like chocolate gets when it's old. This was on Divina and not one of the ships with Venchi, so it is likely those chocolate ships are better quality. Ours was, well, yucky :(.

Sid: the 5+15% is an excellent perk. I had no idea they would offer 5+15% for a holiday sailing. The ship must not have been selling well. Do you recall if that was just for Aurora? I can see where MSC would need to discount Aurura more now that they have have watered down the Aurora benefits. 

Maybe I should ring MSC..... but the though actually makes my head hurt lol

4 hours ago, sidari said:

BB ... It was for all experiences including Aurea lol, Meraviglia also had the same on the TA to NYC I believe.

For our Divina cruise we found out from a friend who is a travel agent in the US.

The TA doesn't surprise me at all, those are low demand, rarely full, and heavily discounted. But the 15+5 on a holiday sailing, now that is something!