Do you have concerns about cruising at this time? Onboard now?

gottagocit

I live in FTL and this has been all over the news but I don;t know if anyone posted it yet. Caribbean Princess came back to FTL today EARLY with hundreds of people sick. This is the second time in their last 2 cruises

Kathy

23 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

I live in FTL and this has been all over the news but I don;t know if anyone posted it yet. Caribbean Princess came back to FTL today EARLY with hundreds of people sick. This is the second time in their last 2 cruises

Kathy

What a shame!  You think you're safe from Corona and then this.  Just goes to show you which is the most concerning.

39 minutes ago, suzyed said:

What a shame!  You think you're safe from Corona and then this.  Just goes to show you which is the most concerning.

It wasn’t Corona it was Noro.  Happens all the time 

• Like 2

A new health and travel advisory updated 2/29/20 can be found here:

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/coronavirus-update.html

Note that #1 now includes
Any individual who has traveled from or through mainland China, Macau, Hong Kong, South Korea or a location currently subject to lockdown by government health authorities 

Edited by idahospud

I just returned from a Caribbean cruise two weeks ago and booked another  one - Canada/ NE  for June - this past Wednesday.  Not concerned about this anymore than I am about the flu.  I am concerned about the mass hysteria the news media is creating and repercussions because of that.

Edited by mek
  • Like 7

48 minutes ago, mek said:

I just returned from a Caribbean cruise two weeks ago and booked another  one - Canada/ NE  for June - this past Wednesday.  Not concerned about this anymore than I am about the flu.  I am concerned about the mass hysteria the news media is creating and repercussions because of that.

I'm not concerned about the virus as much as I am concerned that all the hype and hoopla may cause us to miss ports because someone on board is "sick" without even know what/why.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, suzyed said:

I'm not concerned about the virus as much as I am concerned that all the hype and hoopla may cause us to miss ports because someone on board is "sick" without even know what/why.

Not only missing ports, but not being able to disembark the ship as it is happening now to two cruises. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, villauk said:

That’s the issue: you may see lots of water, just not be able to dock at any of the ports on the route.

Yes. I agree with you. That is a real problem. My wife loves cruising. I am okay with cruising, but I much prefer adventure bike touring. I think after our next family cruise, I will go on some bike trips by myself.

The idea of a quarantine or missing seeing the ports (the thing I enjoy most about cruising) is my main concern.

I fear this disease far less than I fear peoples' behaviour. Can you imagine if this coronavirus had the lethality of ebola? I hate to think how people would behave. 

8 minutes ago, RMMariner said:

The idea of a quarantine or missing seeing the ports (the thing I enjoy most about cruising) is my main concern.

Yes, I think that’s one of the main issues. It will be interested to see what transpires for the cruise lines now that the Dominican Republic have their first case.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, suzyed said:

I am concerned about being stuck on a ship, not going into ports etc.  Now with community transmissions the risk is much greater and reliable testing is not readily available.  I just cancelled a B2B transatlantic and British Isles for April & May.  
I am a nurse and what we are seeing and hearing is not hype.  This is serious stuff.

People who ate totally asymptomatic Can spread this virus.   

• Like 6

On 2/28/2020 at 9:29 PM, AlyssaJames said:

I think Italy just “looks” bad because they’re actually testing people, unlike the US?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/covid-19-testing/

If there are more stories like this, that would certainly support your statement.  And if this continues, I would not be surprised if other countries start denying citizens of the USA from disembarking.  https://www.reddit.com/r/nyc/comments/fayko1/my_covid19_story_brooklyn/

Edited to remove preview since there is crude language at the start.  If you're offended by swear words, do not open!

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

If there are more stories like this, that would certainly support your statement.  And if this continues, I would not be surprised if other countries start denying citizens of the USA from disembarking.  https://www.reddit.com/r/nyc/comments/fayko1/my_covid19_story_brooklyn/

Edited to remove preview since there is crude language at the start.  If you're offended by swear words, do not open!

There actually were quite a few stories like that .   But I think more testing will begin now ( at least that’s what I’m reading) 

18 minutes ago, spyro1952 said:

I am concerned about being stuck on a ship, not going into ports etc.  Now with community transmissions the risk is much greater and reliable testing is not readily available.  I just cancelled a B2B transatlantic and British Isles for April & May.  
I am a nurse and what we are seeing and hearing is not hype.  This is serious stuff.

People who ate totally asymptomatic Can spread this virus.   

I understand your concerns.  They are legit.  Do you have concerns for other flus and viruses that are out there?  True, the fatality rates MAY be lower than for Cor. (IMO, rates for Cor are still unkown) they are still fatal... even with immunizations.  I'm struggling with the data side of this issue and risk avoidance.  At what point is it low enough or high enough?

One thing we have going for us is that as cruisers, we practice good hygiene. We know to keep our hands off of our faces, and to wash them frequently, especially after returning to our cabins.  That really helps to keep us healthy. 

• Like 1

It's too little too late here in the USA. There are most likely thousands of cases already here in the USA but the CDC has refused to test people except for a few. 

But then the CDC comes out and tells us to prepare for a major outbreak. In my eyes the CDC is just about useless and incompetent. Yes I am being critical because the truth is being hidden from the American people.

Edited by tk2fast
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Considering taking a cruise.

So, regarding recommendations:

• Wash your hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds.
  • Supplement hand washing by using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
  • Avoid close contact with people suffering from respiratory illness.
  • Cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze using a tissue or your bent elbow.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Get vaccinated against seasonal influenza.

What do you personally do when you observe offenders around you?   Say, or do anything, to protect yourself from catching a cold, “cruise cough, cruise crud”,  URI, or worst....flu or Corona virus?  Call the offenders out?  Especially when eating at the buffet, bars, casual cafes or public areas?

Thank you.

Edited by Justalone
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Justalone said:

Considering taking a cruise.

So, regarding recommendations:

• Wash your hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds.
  • Supplement hand washing by using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
  • Avoid close contact with people suffering from respiratory illness.
  • Cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze using a tissue or your bent elbow.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Get vaccinated against seasonal influenza.

What do you personally do when you observe offenders around you?   Say, or do anything, to protect yourself from catching a cold, “cruise cough, cruise crud”,  URI, or worst....flu or Corona virus?  Call the offenders out?  Especially when eating at the buffet, bars, casual cafes or public areas?

Thank you.

Something we always do when we cruise is that we wash our hands when we exist the buffet area because we touched the same serving spoons 1,000+ other people did too. We do not eat anything with our hands. The lady that stands at the entrance of the buffet area looks at us like we're crazy, On our last cruise we let her know and she realized that was a good idea. Maybe this will help others. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, travellovers2 said:

Something we always do when we cruise is that we wash our hands when we exit the buffet area because we touched the same serving spoons 1,000+ other people did too. We do not eat anything with our hands. 

Great idea...  🙂

• Like 1