RC announce more Coronavirus measures

Someone alluded to this earlier.  The big issue with cruising will be how do the deal with a ship full of people when someone onboard gets covid-19.  We will get an idea as they now deal with the Grand Princess.  Someone that got off the previous cruise was diagnosed.  The big unknown is if you go on a cruise and someone on the ship shows signs will they be quarantining all the passengers.  It could be the possibility of quarantine that becomes a big unknown.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As a lot of us are past the time we can cancel for a full refund, do you think that there are strategies that can be implemented to minimize risk and still enjoy the cruise?

For example, eating in the Buffet v Dining room? Same risk?

Using Stairs vs Elevators to avoid close contact?

Any other ideas?

1 hour ago, NJBill said:

As a lot of us are past the time we can cancel for a full refund, do you think that there are strategies that can be implemented to minimize risk and still enjoy the cruise?

For example, eating in the Buffet v Dining room? Same risk?

Using Stairs vs Elevators to avoid close contact?

Any other ideas?

Royal has changed final payment dates from 90 days out to 60 days for many cruises.

the dining room probably has less risk than a buffet. 

It is probably safer to use the stairs rather than a packed elevator.  Remember to sanitize or wash your hands after using the handrails.  It might be a good idea to carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer.  After a while it could be harsh on your hands so some moisturizer might be a good idea as well.  

1 hour ago, ryano said:

Coronavirus-vs-Influenza_Infographic.jpg

I don't know what this is trying to prove??

your comparing years and years of data and instances to a virus that has just started to spread!

its like saying 'only 300 people have died from causes related to vaping, where are 652 million people died with causes relating to smoking'

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Billmont said:

The final payment date on our May European cruise was Feb 8 with 4 stops in Italy. 50% loss if we cancel this week, 75% loss if we wait till next. RCI won't budge on the dates.

Puts us in a difficult position.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you on the Vision on May 8th.?????  that ship is suppose to dock overnight in Venice.  I am on that sailing and I guess we have to hope they find a different itinerary unless Barcelona gets shut down in the next month or so.  time will tell.

I will wait for a true cancel rather than forfeit 2k dollars (half of my booking).  at least airlines will give an e voucher with small fee to change.

4 hours ago, MoniMommy said:

China is an authoritarian government and they were able to lock down parts of China. They are even offering money to people who report their fever and money to people who report on those who have a fever and did not self report. They were able to take draconian measures. Without these measures, surely the virus would have spread more. Democracies cant take these messages. Democracies cant quarantine entire cities/states.

Italy has

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blizzard54 said:

Royal has changed final payment dates from 90 days out to 60 days for many cruises.

Actually,  it’s only for the May 29-June 11 sailings. Ours for May 7, in and out of Rome, wasn’t changed. 

1 hour ago, mashisback said:

I don't know what this is trying to prove??

your comparing years and years of data and instances to a virus that has just started to spread!

its like saying 'only 300 people have died from causes related to vaping, where are 652 million people died with causes relating to smoking'

Im not trying to prove ANYTHING 🙄   I am just showing you where people may have gotten that its "tiny compared to the flu".  When you look at the actual numbers,  it certainly appears that way.  Take that however you will  🙄   I couldnt care less. 

Edited by ryano

For my cruise on the Harmony this Sunday:

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

Over the last few weeks, we’ve implemented new and enhanced health & safety protocols, along with travel regulations, to ensure we maintain a healthy environment onboard as developments related to coronavirus COVID-19 continue to change globally. While we continue to assess the impact, we’ve decided to add a new health screening which supports all our initiatives put in place to help keep you healthy & safe!

So, starting March 6th, 2020 on all Royal Caribbean International ships, mandatory temperature screenings will be conducted for all guests and crewmembers on embarkation day. If your temperature is above 100.4°F or 38° C, you and those in your party will undergo a secondary health screening. Temperatures will be taken with a digital, no-touch thermometer. So, no need to worry. 

If you require a secondary screening, this is what you can expect: 

• Your temperature will be checked again. 
    • You’ll undergo a pulse oximetry reading. This means, a small device will be placed on your finger to measure your oxygen level. 
  • If you happen to have a chronic lung illness, like asthma, please bring a letter from your medical practitioner that indicates your normal baseline oxygen saturation levels. This will help ensure you are not denied boarding if you are healthy otherwise.
  • Then, a medical professional will check you for flu-like symptoms, respiratory illness, etc., and would make a final assessment to understand if you’re fit to sail. 

If it is decided that we must unfortunately deny you boarding, you’ll receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit for your cruise fare paid, and any precruise Royal Caribbean International purchases and taxes and fees will be refunded to your original form of payment.

And, if for any reason, you happen to have a fever before your cruise, we kindly ask you to not come to the port. Please contact us or your Travel Advisor immediately and we will happily provide you with a credit for future travel.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation while we do everything possible to keep our ships safe for you! We look forward to seeing you onboard!

Sincerely,
Edited by TNcruising02

1 minute ago, colesc15 said:

Just got the same message. The last portion makes it sound like you can just call and say you have a fever and get a future cruise credit? 

That is the way it sounds to me.  It doesn't mention needing a doctor's note.

Sounds like everyone has an out now. Just cal, say I have a fever and that's it. I suspect lots on cancellations now. I travel in March, if this is still in place we may take it. I dont want my 81 year old mom to get sick.

9 hours ago, Laurba99 said:

Please share what the dr advices for his age.

My doctor said that we should be more concerned about getting the flu and asked us if we had received our flu shot. She  further told us to wash our hands often and stay out of close contact with people. I think it would be safe to say that because of this outbreak, we are all practicing good hygienic practice. 

Since I can't find travel size sanitizing wipes, I am going to make up baggies from a large container that I have and will use them wherever I feel I need to. I am sure our cabin will be thoroughly sanitized but I'll have my large container handy. 

That said, I am sailing on March 15. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, webgal318 said:

My doctor said that we should be more concerned about getting the flu and asked us if we had received our flu shot. She  further told us to wash our hands often and stay out of close contact with people. I think it would be safe to say that because of this outbreak, we are all practicing good hygienic practice. 

Since I can't find travel size sanitizing wipes, I am going to make up baggies from a large container that I have and will use them wherever I feel I need to. I am sure our cabin will be thoroughly sanitized but I'll have my large container handy. 

That said, I am sailing on March 15. 

Don’t assume your cabin is clean....we’ve been wiping down the cabin for years when we first arrive.  Most of the time the wipes are pretty grimy when we’re done.  There’s no way the stewards have time to do more then a quick swipe.  

We got off the Enchantment Monday.  We did notice they were doing extra cleaning in the public areas of handrails etc.  You couldn’t enter the windjammer without hand sanitizer pretty much forced on you, which was good and there were more hand sanitizer machines in public areas then I’ve ever seen before.  All good. The only additional thing we did this time was the DH brought his work computer along in case of quarantine.  Thankfully that didn’t happen.

We cruise again in 6 weeks hopefully.  I’m more concerned about flying then the cruise.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Don’t assume your cabin is clean....we’ve been wiping down the cabin for years when we first arrive.  Most of the time the wipes are pretty grimy when we’re done.  There’s no way the stewards have time to do more then a quick swipe.  

We got off the Enchantment Monday.  We did notice they were doing extra cleaning in the public areas of handrails etc.  You couldn’t enter the windjammer without hand sanitizer pretty much forced on you, which was good and there were more hand sanitizer machines in public areas then I’ve ever seen before.  All good. The only additional thing we did this time was the DH brought his work computer along in case of quarantine.  Thankfully that didn’t happen.

We cruise again in 6 weeks hopefully.  I’m more concerned about flying then the cruise.  

I also use strong hand sanitizing wipes to clean our cabin as soon as we get into it.  The phone, remote (some folks put it in a plastic bag), toilet handle, shower handle, balcony and all other doors etc.  

• Like 1

Carnival seem to have the same screening and cancel policy.

But, to avoid knee jerk cancellations, they are offering "incentives" to guests who choose to proceed with their scheduled cruise between now and May 31st:

$100 OBC for 3-4 day cruises

$150 OBC for 5 day cruises

$200 OBC for 6 day and longer.

Edited by icsys
  • Thanks 1

Well done Princess Cruises 

What's New?

The details vary by departure date. The following applies to new and existing bookings on cruises and cruisetours in all markets globally.

Date of Departure* Benefit
April 3, 2020 or earlier Cancel up to 72 hours before sailing to receive Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for 100% of cancellation fees
April 4, 2020 - May 31, 2020 Cancel by March 31 and receive Future Cruise Credit for 100% of cancellation fees
June 1, 2020 - June 30, 2020 Final Payment moves to 60 days prior to sailing

*Date of departure is from the start date of your cruise or cruisetour, whichever is earlier. Excludes charter cruises.

Guests who choose to keep their booking as currently scheduled for departures between March 9 and May 31 will receive the following Onboard Credit amounts:

• $100 USD / $150 AUD per stateroom for 3 and 4 day cruises
  • $150 USD / $225 AUD per stateroom for 5 day cruises
  • $200 USD / $300 AUD per stateroom for 6 day and longer cruises
  • Like 1