RC announce more Coronavirus measures

2 hours ago, toras said:

Googling about air on airplanes,

On most aircraft, air is also circulated through hospital-grade HEPA filters, which remove 99.97 percent of bacteria, as well as the airborne particles that viruses use for transport 

• The vent above your airplane seat may help you avoid contact with microorganisms that can get you sick as it can create an invisible air barrier around you.
  • This air barrier can stop airborne viruses from lingering in the air around you

That is correct.

Once again, there  is NO contamination risk of Covid-19 by cabin air onboard aircraft. 

• Like 1

I think the news is kind of freaking people out. It should be fine. Annual flu and pneumonia still kill more people. Remember West Nile Virus, Zika, SARS, MERS? .....

My concern isn’t contracting the virus as much as getting quarantined on a ship for weeks. Also we cruise for the ports more than the ship so being denied port enter concerns me too. I’m hoping we learn a lot more in the coming weeks that allows people to make better cancellation decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

It's an unknown. Yes in numbers so far more died from reg seasonal Flu in US. The R-nought and Fatality rate so far seems to be significantly higher with Coronavirus. Starts to spread here we'll find out here. Just to early to tell. But "Freaking people out", think about one case or suspected case on Cruise Ship, 3-4 weeks min extra of Quarantine far from home, separated from Family sounds like enough Freak some out, more so then actually catching it. So far this is effecting more the World then the others you stated... But get your point. My first scare was as a 10yr old and the 70's Swine Flu. Where more were hurt by the shots then the actual disease...

Exactly. The potential quarantine and lost wages, etc concern me far more than contracting the virus myself.

Read an interesting website about comparisons to SARS and MERS.  Not really a good comparison as these were 1) significantly more deadly (60% fatality for SARS I think) and 2) did not spread until symptoms were obvious.  People either died or were quarantined before they could infect many others, so much easier to control.  Covid-19 however spreads much more/faster with a significantly lower fatality rate and the ability to spread before symptoms appear.

Fully agree though with the annual flu and that there is more fear than logic out there regarding Covid-19

Yes but there’s more fear bc it’s simply too early to really know the details of this virus. People fear what they don’t know. I think the coming weeks will shed more light. I hope, at least.

7 hours ago, toras said:

Googling about air on airplanes,

On most aircraft, air is also circulated through hospital-grade HEPA filters, which remove 99.97 percent of bacteria, as well as the airborne particles that viruses use for transport 

• The vent above your airplane seat may help you avoid contact with microorganisms that can get you sick as it can create an invisible air barrier around you.
  • This air barrier can stop airborne viruses from lingering in the air around you

I always thought it was suggested you shut the vent off on the plane to avoid illness. 

9 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Read an interesting website about comparisons to SARS and MERS.  Not really a good comparison as these were 1) significantly more deadly (60% fatality for SARS I think) and 2) did not spread until symptoms were obvious.  People either died or were quarantined before they could infect many others, so much easier to control.  Covid-19 however spreads much more/faster with a significantly lower fatality rate and the ability to spread before symptoms appear.

Fully agree though with the annual flu and that there is more fear than logic out there regarding Covid-19

Correction in what I stated above...the virus with a 60% fatality rate was H5N1...avian flu.  I knew SARS didn't sound right as i was typing it so I found the article to confirm.  Here's the link:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/02/covid-vaccine/607000/

I got an email regarding my cruise in March.

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

We’re looking forward to welcoming you aboard! Before you embark on your adventure, we have an important change to share with you.

Over the last few weeks, we’ve been carefully monitoring global developments related to Coronavirus (COVID-19). We are fully focused on protecting the health and safety of our guests and crew, along with the ports we visit.

While this situation remains quite fluid, we’ve decided to make a change to our travel regulation to comply with guidance from the U.S. Centers of Disease Control, World Health Organization, and other public health authorities around the world and we wanted to make sure you were informed. 

Until further notice, all ships in the Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. fleet will adopt the following health screening protocols:

• Regardless of nationality, we will deny boarding to:
    • Any guest who has travelled from, to, or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, and the Italian regions of Lombardy and Veneto in the past 15 days.
    • Any guest who has come in contact with anyone with 15-day prior travel to mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, and the Italian regions of Lombardy and Veneto. The CDC characterizes contact with an individual as coming within 6 feet (2M) of a person.
    • Guests who report feeling unwell or demonstrate any flu-like symptom.
  • There will be mandatory specialized health screenings performed on:
    • Any guest who has travelled from, to, or through Japan, Singapore, Thailand, and Italy (all regions other than Lombardy and Veneto) in the past 15 days.
    • Guests who are uncertain about contact with individuals who have traveled from, to, or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Thailand, and Italy in the past 15 days.
  • Guests presenting with fever or low blood oximetry in the specialized health screenings will be denied boarding.
  • All guests who are denied boarding due to these restrictions will receive full refunds.

We regret to have to do this. However, these precautions will help avoid the spread of this virus and will protect all guests and crew. We take this very seriously and have a responsibility to maintain a safe and healthy environment onboard our ships, as well as in the ports we visit.

If you or someone in your stateroom does not comply with our updated travel regulation, please contact your Travel Advisor immediately, or contact us at 1-800-256-6649 or visit www.RoyalCaribbean.com/contactus for your local Royal Caribbean International office phone number.

Onboard our ships, we continue to take numerous proactive steps to maintain high health standards. This includes:

• Thoroughly sanitizing the cruise ship terminal before and after every sailing,
  • Special sanitizing of high traffic areas onboard multiple times a day,
  • Adding extra medical staff on each sailing, 
  • Providing complimentary consultations with medical experts for all guests & crew,
  • Plus, the Captain will make two daily announcements during your cruise reminding everyone of how to stay healthy onboard.

And, you can do your part too! Here are some important tips to help keep you healthy and prevent colds, flus, and stomach viruses – both onboard and on land. 

• After using the bathroom and before any meal or snack (it’s a cruise; we know there’s lots of that), make sure to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds.
  • If you happen to sneeze, cover your nose and mouth with a tissue (or with your upper sleeve). Avoid sneezing or coughing into your hands or without covering your nose and mouth.
  • Use hand sanitizer as often as possible. Rub the gel thoroughly, and in-between your fingers, until your hands are dry.

And remember, if you don’t feel well while you’re onboard, it’s imperative that you immediately visit our medical facility for a complimentary checkup. Our onboard doctors and nurses are always ready to assist. Your safety and wellbeing are always our top priorities, but we also want you to have an amazing time. Stay clean, stay healthy, stay happy!

Lastly, should we have to make any changes to our newly implemented travel regulation, we will let you and your Travel Advisor know immediately. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

We are on the Navigator next month for a long weekend cruise.  I am not concerned right now; statistically we stand a (much, much) greater chance of having something happen to us driving down from Tampa.  Or for that matter catching the virus (or any virus) at the supermarket, coffee shop, work, school, gas station, etc.

That being said, the wildcard is a quarantine- whether necessary or not.  If we see a ship sailing from a US port quarantined between now and then OR a several international departures getting quarantined, that will be our indicator.  As spun up as the media and everyone is right now I could easily see a domino effect where every ship that has a fever on board goes on lockdown.  Personally if we see a quarantine or two on US-based sailings, I think it would be bad form for RCI not to issue refunds on future sailings (although I expect they wouldn't.)  I'm not sure how you could expect someone to sail if they have a reasonable chance of getting stuck on board for 14 days.  Not to mention what you might catch if heaven forbid there was an active case onboard.

2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I got an email regarding my cruise in March.

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

We’re looking forward to welcoming you aboard! Before you embark on your adventure, we have an important change to share with you.

Over the last few weeks, we’ve been carefully monitoring global developments related to Coronavirus (COVID-19). We are fully focused on protecting the health and safety of our guests and crew, along with the ports we visit.

While this situation remains quite fluid, we’ve decided to make a change to our travel regulation to comply with guidance from the U.S. Centers of Disease Control, World Health Organization, and other public health authorities around the world and we wanted to make sure you were informed. 

Until further notice, all ships in the Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. fleet will adopt the following health screening protocols:

• Regardless of nationality, we will deny boarding to:
    • Any guest who has travelled from, to, or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, and the Italian regions of Lombardy and Veneto in the past 15 days.
    • Any guest who has come in contact with anyone with 15-day prior travel to mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, and the Italian regions of Lombardy and Veneto. The CDC characterizes contact with an individual as coming within 6 feet (2M) of a person.
    • Guests who report feeling unwell or demonstrate any flu-like symptom.
  • There will be mandatory specialized health screenings performed on:
    • Any guest who has travelled from, to, or through Japan, Singapore, Thailand, and Italy (all regions other than Lombardy and Veneto) in the past 15 days.
    • Guests who are uncertain about contact with individuals who have traveled from, to, or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Thailand, and Italy in the past 15 days.
  • Guests presenting with fever or low blood oximetry in the specialized health screenings will be denied boarding.
  • All guests who are denied boarding due to these restrictions will receive full refunds.

We regret to have to do this. However, these precautions will help avoid the spread of this virus and will protect all guests and crew. We take this very seriously and have a responsibility to maintain a safe and healthy environment onboard our ships, as well as in the ports we visit.

If you or someone in your stateroom does not comply with our updated travel regulation, please contact your Travel Advisor immediately, or contact us at 1-800-256-6649 or visit www.RoyalCaribbean.com/contactus for your local Royal Caribbean International office phone number.

Onboard our ships, we continue to take numerous proactive steps to maintain high health standards. This includes:

• Thoroughly sanitizing the cruise ship terminal before and after every sailing,
  • Special sanitizing of high traffic areas onboard multiple times a day,
  • Adding extra medical staff on each sailing, 
  • Providing complimentary consultations with medical experts for all guests & crew,
  • Plus, the Captain will make two daily announcements during your cruise reminding everyone of how to stay healthy onboard.

And, you can do your part too! Here are some important tips to help keep you healthy and prevent colds, flus, and stomach viruses – both onboard and on land. 

• After using the bathroom and before any meal or snack (it’s a cruise; we know there’s lots of that), make sure to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds.
  • If you happen to sneeze, cover your nose and mouth with a tissue (or with your upper sleeve). Avoid sneezing or coughing into your hands or without covering your nose and mouth.
  • Use hand sanitizer as often as possible. Rub the gel thoroughly, and in-between your fingers, until your hands are dry.

And remember, if you don’t feel well while you’re onboard, it’s imperative that you immediately visit our medical facility for a complimentary checkup. Our onboard doctors and nurses are always ready to assist. Your safety and wellbeing are always our top priorities, but we also want you to have an amazing time. Stay clean, stay healthy, stay happy!

Lastly, should we have to make any changes to our newly implemented travel regulation, we will let you and your Travel Advisor know immediately. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Problem is no one who goes to the trouble to arrive at the port will ever admit if they feel unwell. And very easy to mask symptoms. 

55 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Problem is no one who goes to the trouble to arrive at the port will ever admit if they feel unwell. And very easy to mask symptoms. 

True, but it's better than nothing.  At least they are trying.  Also, it might make people who are sick decide to cancel.

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

True, but it's better than nothing.  At least they are trying.  Also, it might make people who are sick decide to cancel.

I think in order to get a full refund you have to be denied boarding....no refund if you cancel yourself (unless you have travel insurance).  I could be wrong. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I think in order to get a full refund you have to be denied boarding....no refund if you cancel yourself (unless you have travel insurance).  I could be wrong. 

I think so too.  I think you actually have to show up at the port and be denied to get the full refund.  But some people have travel insurance and might decide to cancel before the trip if they fear they will not be allowed to board.  I think what Royal is doing is pretty much all they can do.  I feel like the media is creating a panic when the odds are actually very slim of catching this virus when you aren't anywhere near a hot spot.

I would only be concerned if I was traveling with elderly people or very young children.  Other than that, it seems like a person would be much more likely to pick up the virus in an international airport.

8 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

I lived in Wedgwood and attended Decatur back in those days.

You moved away so fast when the band started playing last February on Vision, that we didn't have a chance to chat about much of anything. Let alone Seattle. :classic_biggrin:

2 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

It looks like if you have any symptoms they want you to call.  They don't want people coming to the terminal if they have symptoms.  They will probably require a form to be filled out by your doctor for a refund. 

12 hours ago, Coralc said:

You moved away so fast when the band started playing last February on Vision, that we didn't have a chance to chat about much of anything. Let alone Seattle. :classic_biggrin:

I am sorry we did not get a chance to talk more.  Sometimes I can not handle the volume of the music. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2020 at 9:21 AM, fdthird said:

You gotta feel for what Royal is going through and how this is affecting their business.  This is going to cost them a lot of $$$!

It's evident on our next cruise. It was completely sold out before Christmas, now it's opening up like crazy, folk are cancelling and it's a Baltic. We are making out like bandits on PD's.

4 hours ago, johnjen said:

It's evident on our next cruise. It was completely sold out before Christmas, now it's opening up like crazy, folk are cancelling and it's a Baltic. We are making out like bandits on PD's.

What is a PD? (thanks in advance)

If you are thinking about canceling your cruise and you have travel insurance, please contact your insurance company as I have read where some of the policies will not cover the virus.  That even includes the policies that have cancel for any reason.  These policies must be purchased before a certain date to cover the virus.  It may just be better to wait until the very last minute to cancel to see if the cruise line cancels your cruise.  If they cancel then you will get a refund for your costs.

Just got this from PRINCESS about our upcoming cruise :

CORONAVIRUS TRAVEL ADVISORY
We're monitoring the situation with the coronavirus that originated in mainland China, and our medical experts are working with global health authorities. As a precaution, anyone who has traveled from or through mainland China, Macau or Hong Kong (including airport transits), or has had contact with a suspected or confirmed case of coronavirus (2019-nCoV) within 14 days of the start of this cruise will not be allowed to board the ship. If this applies to you or your client, please contact us with proof of this travel for a full refund of the amount paid to Princess Cruises. All guests will also be subject to pre- boarding health reporting and enhanced screening at check-in. Due to changing circumstances, it is possible that authorities in the countries on your cruise may change their entry requirements on short notice. Please check all entry requirements prior to your arrival to the ship to ensure you are not impacted. Guest passports will be scanned to verify compliance. False responses on forms will result in immediate debark at the next opportunity, and you may face legal consequences. We may change requirements to safeguard guests and crew.
  • Like 1

What I am so confused about is that with the Spanish flu in 1918 the only means to spread the disease was via ships And not that many of them, and the flu spread via the ports. Well today we have how many flights each day domestically and internationally multiplied by over a hundred countries. Why the hell did they not learn from a simple logic? It was obvious to me that all travel should have been halted first internationally and then domestically. Sometimes you have to say that health is more important than economics.

Edited by tottenhamfc