⭐Live Allure TA 🚢 March 1, 2020 - Time to rub the lamp 🧞

John&LaLa

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Peter came through with horseradish,  but in typical Royal fashion we got way to much.

So I got some condiment containers and filled 5 tubs. 

If anyone needs some, let me know.

Perhaps a horseradish card for the nominal price of $25.99 for 10 helpings? Two punches for a large though.

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

Fountain show started 20 minutes late. It was pretty good from up here. 

20200307_202331.thumb.jpg.570fedd970d32a80681d34bdfb254c30.jpg

And now its running again, unscheduled, but hardly anyone watching

We have a diving competition tomorow at 11:45. 

And no time change😁

Sunset from the S9+

20200307_202143.thumb.jpg.0159080d37698597569436a194d42ce4.jpg

Got an Android update yesterday, and a lot of functions look/act differently 

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 7

On 2/28/2020 at 6:01 PM, Sea Dog said:

Peppermint Patty Martini- A Chocolate Martini with some Peppermint schnapps added. Very yummy.

50/50- half rye whiskey, half french cognac with bitters and a cherry.

Headed to Champagne Bar now.

The quest for Peppermint Patty

• Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 12:46 PM, Pratique said:

How can there be a horseradish shortage? Doesn't the stuff grow like weeds and take over the whole garden?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Sunset from the S9+

Got an Android update yesterday, and a lot of functions look/act differently 

Just upgraded my S9+ to the S20 Ultra, you'll have to check it out when you get home. You'll have some amazing pics taken with it! 100x zoom...

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

BAR HOURS

2116439453_BARHOURS.jpg.73fc9144ee0e4ab587fb6478d74a28e4.jpg

I think we've hit about half of them so far

You mean you didn't do a BAR CRAWL and hit them all in one day/night?  We did a Bar Crawl/Poker Draw on the Allure when she first came to So FL.  Great Fun.

• Haha 1

They have a bridge office in the Promenade daily to talk about Navigation of the crossing.  It turns into a Q&A of sorts.  

The damaged azipod was discussed.  With the propellor blades removed from the starboard azipod they can achieve a better top speed.  Prior to removing the blades they were running that azipod around 80% while they operated the two good azipods at 110-120% of normal capacity. This was the best outcome given the circumstances. 

The azipod at 80% was basically a sea anchor slowly them down despite running the other azipods above normal capacity.  With the propellor blades removed the 3rd azipod is being used as a rudder of sorts offering some steering control.  I don't imagine they are using it for that purpose exactly, but they do have to trim it to create the ideal effect.

The damaged azipod was stated to have some seal issues as well as more metal particles in the fluids that were higher than ideal and that required they operate it at below normal capacity prior to removing the propellor blades in December.  They are not planning to replace the azipod assembly as a whole, they'll replace seals and bearings that are worn beyond ideal limits.

There is nothing abnormal about the propellor blades that have been removed, they will put the same ones back on during drydock presumably with the normal drydock maintenance applied that all blades will receive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

There is nothing abnormal about the propellor blades that have been removed, they will put the same ones back on during drydock presumably with the normal drydock maintenance applied that all blades will receive.

Do you have a photo of the blades rigged to the helipad?

Our crossing gift came this morning.

We got 2, so I'll give one to Pat

20200308_111002.thumb.jpg.e9f13dc8b3fd50df19e83de5d1a47d7c.jpg

Pinnacle picture is day 10 Aqua Theater

20200308_110919.thumb.jpg.3b0686107f4e2759be123ad1d14b2b7d.jpg

Interesting that you now have to 'buy' it.

That's not going to go over well. 🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, twangster said:

The damaged azipod was stated to have some seal issues as well as more metal particles in the fluids that were higher than ideal and that required they operate it at below normal capacity prior to removing the propellor blades in December.  They are not planning to replace the azipod assembly as a whole, they'll replace seals and bearings that are worn beyond ideal limits.

The bearing issue has been a problem forever. I don't know why they can't come up with some type of engineering plan to put this issue to rest.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The bearing issue has been a problem forever. I don't know why they can't come up with some type of engineering plan to put this issue to rest.

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that Harmony and Symphony have improved designs.

• Thanks 1

The nominal maintenance expectancy of the azipod was stated to be 10 years of continuous operation.  When they started noticing the increased metal particles in the lubrication fluids they brought ABB engineers on board to advise on best solutions.  ABB recommended the 80% of normal capacity limit.  

26 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

It's a mechanical system with tremendous power involved.  There is going to be mechanical wear.  I assume 10 years fits the 5 year drydock calendar nicely but it seems they didn't quite make it.  I'm sure those conversations with ABB have occurred.  Perhaps they'll lower normal operating ranges to eek out a few more months or perhaps with was just a one off.  The other two are within design limits.

New Navigational session today just concluded.  We have around 4,500 guests on board this sailing.  

42 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Do you have a photo of the blades rigged to the helipad?

I've been meaning to see if they can be spotted from the deck 14 public deck forward near the Solarium.  That will be my afternoon mission.  Lunch first because I haven't eaten in like at least 3 hours.  

Edited by twangster
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Do they do the navigational talks on all TA’s or is this because you had to change course?  Going on our first TA this spring and my husband would enjoy interacting with the officers.