⭐Live Allure TA 🚢 March 1, 2020 - Time to rub the lamp 🧞

John&LaLa

1 minute ago, molly361 said:

There were a lot of Greeks here when the city was first settled

Smyrna (/ˈsmɜːrnə/ SMUR-nə; Ancient Greek: Σμύρνη, romanized: Smýrnē, or Ancient Greek: Σμύρνα, romanized: Smýrna) was a Greek city located at a strategic point on the Aegean coast of Anatolia. Due to its advantageous port conditions, its ease of defense and its good inland connections, Smyrna rose to prominence.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Not John, but I can tell you it is about a half hour away.  Easy peasy up I-95 to 528...straight shot to the port. 

Vierra and Suntree are mainly retirement communities, lots of golf courses, and not on the beach.  Located on the "mainland" across the the river to the west from the island beach community.  

I wouldn't say that Viera is a retirement community. While there are plenty of retirees in Viera, the split is somewhat even between younger and older. There are large developments (Indian River Colony Club, Grand Isles, Heritage Isles and now Bridgewater) that are 55+. There are also a lot of young families. To put some perspective, there are 3 public elementary schools in Viera with a 4th opening next year due to overcrowding of the 3 existing schools.

2 hours ago, RFerrington said:

John (or anyone else who knows), how far is Viera from Port Canaveral ?  Any feedback on the Viera communities ?

Viera has a bit of a polarized view around here. Viera is one of the more dense areas of the county with probably the largest concretation of retail and restaraunts in one area in the county along with lots of new development. That means that most houses have very little land and dense packed houses, but also has a lot of parks and open spaces. Everywhere pretty much has an HOA along with a CDD. A lot of the more native Floridians hate it, but I personally love it.

Viera is one of the more expensive areas around that isn't on the water. Expect to spend a minimum a $300k on a decent house with most of the new communities over $500k and some north of $1 mil. The whole area has really been built up in the last 20 years, so there aren't a lot of older houses. There is a lot of housing diversity, so you can get smaller townhomes or massive houses within a couple minutes of each other. There is also a lot of new construction currently, starting with townhomes in the low 300's all the way up to the $1mil+ base price full custom homes (around a dozen new construction communities are currently selling).

One big plus for commute times is that pretty much all of Viera is within 5 minutes of I-95.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Ok, so I'll ask, where did tbe name "Smyma" come from? It doesn't sound very nice when you say it out loud.😉

Smyrna was a Greek city on the Aegean and several states have a city named Smyrna...such as Tennessee and Georgia in addition to Florida.

oops..should have read to the end before replying...

Edited by truffles2

5 minutes ago, truffles2 said:

Smyrna was a Greek city on the Aegean and several states have a city named Smyrna...such as Tennessee and Georgia in addition to Florida.

That's ok, apparently I need all the educating that I can get!😊

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MechE31 said:

I wouldn't say that Viera is a retirement community. While there are plenty of retirees in Viera, the split is somewhat even between younger and older. There are large developments (Indian River Colony Club, Grand Isles, Heritage Isles and now Bridgewater) that are 55+. There are also a lot of young families. To put some perspective, there are 3 public elementary schools in Viera with a 4th opening next year due to overcrowding of the 3 existing schools.

Hence the reason I said "mainly" when you add in Suntree.   Yes, lots of schools there with Viera being the newer section and having less retirees.  The whole area indeed has grown like crazy.   With much more building coming on.  Nice place to shop too!  🙂 

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

Edit  The man who settled it (Turnbull) named it in honor of his wife's Greek heritage

Smyrna (/ˈsmɜːrnə/ SMUR-nə; Ancient Greek: Σμύρνη, romanized: Smýrnē, or Ancient Greek: Σμύρνα, romanized: Smýrna) was a Greek city located at a strategic point on the Aegean coast of Anatolia. Due to its advantageous port conditions, its ease of defense and its good inland connections, Smyrna rose to prominence.

It's also a suburb of Atlanta. OTP, north west.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, truffles2 said:

We have a Symrna in Maine, too 🙂

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, molly361 said:

I like New Smyrna😇

Boston's Fish House has the most amazing fresh New England seafood!

And the drugstore on Canal St (I think) with its old fashioned soda fountain with all the good stuff. 

Add in the Canaveral National Seashore and New Smyrna’s worth a long  drive!

2 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

And the drugstore on Canal St (I think) with its old fashioned soda fountain with all the good stuff. 

Yes Little Drug Co  on Canal St-  I like how New Smyrna has 2 downtowns, Canal Street which has old town charm and Flagler Ave which is the beach strip 

image.jpeg.a284cc89931db3afd919a86787185a37.jpeg

Edited by molly361

47 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

That's ok, apparently I need all the educating that I can get!😊

I don’t know about Tennessee and Georgia, but the one in Florida is pronounced Sum erna. 

I have been corrected approximately 3,247 times. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Bummer having Canaveral National Seashore closed right now.  😞 

17 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Yes Little Drug Co  on Canal St-  I like how New Smyrna has 2 downtowns, Canal Street which has old town charm and Flagler Ave which is the beach strip 

image.jpeg.a284cc89931db3afd919a86787185a37.jpeg

We love the Garlic!  😍

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ATG said:

How many people know what that means?  We lived in Tucker, also OTP on the east.

You mean everybody doesn't know OTP.

We lived ITP in Brookhaven for a while.

Our last Atlanta address was Tucker. Just off Idlewood

16 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

You mean everybody doesn't know OTP.

We lived ITP in Brookhaven for a while.

Our last Atlanta address was Tucker. Just off Idlewood

No idea what OTP is and ITP to me means Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpera.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Outside the Perimeter

Inside the Perimeter

The Petimeter is I 285, the loop around ATL

Basically OTP is the burbs

OMG, WTH!

U lived OTP in ATL?  SMH

ROTFLMAO

😁😉

Edited by HBE4
  • Haha 1

Nice launch, but 90 minutes into the 2 hour window.  

Safety First

20200326_162009.thumb.jpg.a25353fbb1c66c5a69ea9fadbd728fd1.jpg

ULA (United Launch Alliance) is a Boeing/Lockheed partnership

538354868_IMG_6740crop.thumb.JPG.8aee98919829a152f3eb27d5841109dc.JPG

This is an Atlas V carrying a satellite for Military communications

Officially the first launch for US Space Force

1387983268_IMG_6747crop.thumb.JPG.db6d75fca633bbd15afbb93c14cef0e2.JPG

AEHF-6 (Advanced Extremely High Frequency) satellite

216963416_IMG_6752crop.thumb.JPG.fdc02ece91ec053179cb546bbbdf7fc5.JPG

SRB (Solid Rocker Booster) separation

Should be 5 of them

1922916234_IMG_6756srbseparation.JPG.45bd91d61ec5529430fe2ee61b37ee0d.JPG