So Disappointed in NCL - price dropped IN HALF

susanf31

I'm so disappointed in NCL.  We booked three cabins, two inside and one balcony. We made final payment. The price of all 3 cabins has dropped IN HALF.  We paid more for an inside cabin than the balcony cabins are now selling for. I wouldn't mind price swings of a few hundred dollars but we are talking about thousands of dollars.

It seems as a gesture of good-will and our future business as happy customers, they would offer an upgrade, spa pass, but no...nothing. So we are overpaying for this cruise about $3000.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, susanf31 said:

I'm so disappointed in NCL.  We booked three cabins, two inside and one balcony. We made final payment. The price of all 3 cabins has dropped IN HALF.  We paid more for an inside cabin than the balcony cabins are now selling for. I wouldn't mind price swings of a few hundred dollars but we are talking about thousands of dollars.

It seems as a gesture of good-will and our future business as happy customers, they would offer an upgrade, spa pass, but no...nothing. So we are overpaying for this cruise about $3000.

Just a question....if the cruise doubled in price, would you be ok if NCL called you and said you had to pay more, even if you already made final payment? 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Mine dropped by £800 the week after, but booking in the Uk there's nothing can offer. Celebrity will at least usually allow you a free upgrade. I'd paid an £1700 deposit (as I had flights and hotel booked) so couldn't cancel and rebook.

Hey ho!

No, they will not offer an upgrade. I asked. I'd also rather have a spa pass, Vibe pass, cabin upgrade...anything.  They are only offering 25% shipboard credit for the difference in price drop.  This is what we get for booking early. Will never deal with NCL again.  Part of my family are paying MORE for an inside cabin than balcony cabins are currently selling for.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, susanf31 said:

No, they will not offer an upgrade. I asked. I'd also rather have a spa pass, Vibe pass, cabin upgrade...anything.  They are only offering 25% shipboard credit for the difference in price drop.  This is what we get for booking early. Will never deal with NCL again.  Part of my family are paying MORE for an inside cabin than balcony cabins are currently selling for.  

That’s actually good, they don’t have to offer anything. This is the standard procedure in cruising. I’ve never heard of anyone getting spa passes or vibe passes in this situation, just a paid upgrade or 25% OBC or nothing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

Just a question....if the cruise doubled in price, would you be ok if NCL called you and said you had to pay more, even if you already made final payment? 

Hey, my NCL stock right now is way less than I paid (and I didn't sell when it was way more than I paid) - do I get a refund?

8 minutes ago, susanf31 said:

25% OBC or 50% FCC is their standard offer if they won't upgrade.  Sometimes it pays to call back if you want an upgrade- not all NCL reps are created equal.  But it also depends on ship capacity - is it nearly full?

Edited by julig22
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, susanf31 said:

25% of $3000 is $750. You could at least buy three spa passes for that amount....

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, susanf31 said:

So, ...in addition to giving you exactly what you booked for exactly the price that you agreed to pay, they are offering you OBC? Those monsters!

44 minutes ago, susanf31 said:

...we are overpaying for this cruise about $3000.

Did you feel that way on the day that you booked?

If EVERY person who booked before final payment received a free upgrade after final payment date, nobody would be able to book before final payment date. There isn't enough space to move everyone "up". 

26 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

From now on I'm booking the time off work and buying my cruise fare at the last minute. If my sailing isn't available, then I'll suck it up and go to another line or ship that week.

That's a risk that some are willing to take and if it works for them, great. 

Personally, I'd rather book what I want at the price that I'm willing to pay and not worry about what others pay. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 9

36 minutes ago, susanf31 said:

Let me ask you this, if the price of the cruise went up in price and NCL came back to you looking for some extra money would you pay it? Of course you wouldn't........you were willing to pay X price and you did. NCL or any other cruise line 

owes you nothing

• Like 4

On another note OP.  It says you joined this website back in 2001!!! And have only 78 posts in 19 years!   That might a inter-webz record for lurking stats, impressive.  (this isn't meant as an insult, just an observation of the longevity of being a member with the lack of posting).  

• Haha 1

I swear....there are lots of people in the world incapable of rational thought.  They are blinded by emotion so they can play the victim card.

There is a worldwide medical emergency going on right now and it has probably dramatically slowed bookings.  They are slashing prices to try and fill the ship which is how supply and demand works.  If you booked early and paid a higher price then it is what it is, if you happend to be free to take a last minute cruise then you will make out.  It is how the world works, not a predatory business practice on the part of NCL.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Do people complain the same way when they purchase everything else in their life? When you buy a car and then it goes on year end clearance 10 months later do you call the dealership and demand money back or say “I’ll never buy xxx again”? This goes for anything that might be cheaper then when you purchased it. Why does NCL owe anyone anything ? I agree that if you agree to buy at a certain price that is your decision and no one else made you whip out your credit card. The amount of price drop threads and people complaining is out of control. There is no one to blame but yourself when you buy something .

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Do people complain the same way when they purchase everything else in their life? When you buy a car and then it goes on year end clearance 10 months later do you call the dealership and demand money back or say “I’ll never buy xxx again”? This goes for anything that might be cheaper then when you purchased it. Why does NCL owe anyone anything ? I agree that if you agree to buy at a certain price that is your decision and no one else made you whip out your credit card. The amount of price drop threads and people complaining is out of control. There is no one to blame but yourself when you buy something .

We live in a World of Whiners  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, susanf31 said:

You got the room you wanted and were happy with the price you paid at final

paynent, correct?   Do you go back to the grocery store weeks later and try to get a refund on a sale item you paid full price weeks or months before?  This is the chance you take with EVERY cruise line!  

• Like 3

MrMike45 - not sure what you are trying to imply.  I only cruise every 5 or so years. I only hang out on these boards when I'm actively booked on a cruise....which happens to be this year.  Last cruise was 2013.  That's why I've been a member since 2001 and only have a few posts.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

Hey, my NCL stock right now is way less than I paid (and I didn't sell when it was way more than I paid) - do I get a refund?

25% OBC or 50% FCC is their standard offer if they won't upgrade.  Sometimes it pays to call back if you want an upgrade- not all NCL reps are created equal.  But it also depends on ship capacity - is it nearly full?

I agree on calling back. I have done it twice. Got a better offer the 2nd time but decided to still wait and see. So call again!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, susanf31 said:

So, contrary to your original post, they ARE offering you something.  They offered you 25% OBC.  Take it and enjoy.  That's what they almost always offer, if they offer anything.

• Like 2

these threads, and topics always make me think of other things that go on sale, right after 'we' buy them.  If you purchased, say a whole new living room set, for lets just say 3k,  and the week after it was delivered to you it went on sale for 1500$.....would you be back at the store asking for a refund?  or the coffee and end tables to complete the set??  NO, because you obviously were comfortable paying the 3k.  Or if the new car you just bought  went on sale for a much lower amount than you agreed to pay??  again, NO you wouldn't be back at the dealer asking to be compensated because you paid the higher price.  

I just don't understand expecting to be rewarded, or compensated, if the cost of what you purchased (at an amount your were comfortable paying) goes down.  

JMHO....

• Like 1