82 Sick on Grandeur?!?!

19 minutes ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

I wonder if it's a strain not covered by the flu vaccine.  I travel a lot, so I get the flu shot every year as a precaution.

This isn't the cruise that just left yesterday. It was a previous one and the ship was deep cleaned before they boarded the next group.  A couple of cruisers onboard had posted about flu and how security at one port was wearing masks  when people were reboarding.  I know someone who was on that cruise.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

It’s flu season.  These cases are real, but I just hope all this paranoia doesn’t have a significant negative impact our Liberty cruise in a few weeks.   Primarily, I’m concerned about not being able to get into port. This is my nieces and my parents first cruise to the Caribbean and I’m not sure they will go again so it would really be a bummer not to see the islands  because someone(s) on our cruise has the flu which is normal this time of year 

Dan

• Like 1

Just now, The Fun Researcher said:

It’s flu season.  These cases are real, but I just hope all this paranoia doesn’t have a significant negative impact our Liberty cruise in a few weeks.   Primarily, I’m concerned about not being able to get into port. This is my nieces and my parents first cruise to the Caribbean and I’m not sure they will go again so it would really be a bummer not to see the islands  because someone(s) on our cruise has the flu which is normal this time of year 

Dan

Very true.

I was on the nov 16th sailing. Our cruise director went missing after 1st day. Upper respiratory. I left the cruise with a cough. Week later full blown pneumonia. On our other web site there was alot of talk if people with bronchitis and pnuemonia, and coughs. Stuff spreads like wildfire. And i am not impressed by the "deep cleaning"  It will do nothing for airborne diseases. 

Just now, suesnake2002 said:

I was on the nov 16th sailing. Our cruise director went missing after 1st day. Upper respiratory. I left the cruise with a cough. Week later full blown pneumonia. On our other web site there was alot of talk if people with bronchitis and pnuemonia, and coughs. Stuff spreads like wildfire. And i am not impressed by the "deep cleaning"  It will do nothing for airborne diseases. 

I remember back in the day 200-300 people per cruise with norovirus. What was that like 10 years ago?

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Dan

Agree. It's a regular midwinter on a Cruise, everyone has or gets Cold, Flu or Noro... Unfortunately with the CV scare there is chance miss Ports even though probable nobody has it

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

I remember back in the day 200-300 people per cruise with norovirus. What was that like 10 years ago?

Think there was one or two ships that had even higher totals. Been on one those ships after extensive cleaning, sterile, safer...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

We were on the cruise affected with the Flu.  We did not get sick but was told by the Captain that it was type A Influenza, that is normal in the winter months. Everyone had to get off and those of us that were on b2b2b were given the opportunity to go to the Inner Harbor and could be picked up at noon.  We opted to sit on a tour bus outside of terminal  until they let us back on.  Husband went to put our passbooks in cabin and all cabin doors were open and mattresses were on end. They did try to keep everyone healthy, but it is up to each individual to what is expected. This happens at times, but will not deter us from cruising.. .   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I wonder if it's a strain not covered by the flu vaccine.  I travel a lot, so I get the flu shot every year as a precaution.

The flu shot gives you a 50-70% protection at best, and the effect lasts for 3 months tops.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Meltdown said:

The flu shot gives you a 50-70% protection at best, and the effect lasts for 3 months tops.

My kids/Grands all had shots, instead caught strain B which is really hard on youngsters and my Daughter who already had health issues... Know theres been talk possible second Flu shot yr. Many times theres a second wave in April some parts Country, this after many received their shot over 6 months before

Edited by ONECRUISER

I was on the Grandeur last year for a B2B between the last cruise in March and the first cruise in April.  They had to do a deep cleaning then, too.  We all sat in the suite lounge in the terminal. When we went back to our room we saw the cabin stewards [and some helpers] giving the cabins an extra cleaning. 

Three days into the second cruise DH came down with the flu [type B] and he was quarantined for 24 hrs. Since we were 15 days into our trip at that time he had to have gotten it on the ship. So we are going to be cautious this time around.  

I leave on a B2B cruise on the Grandeur of the Seas again this Saturday.  😮

I have purchased hand sanitizer, pre-packaged individual sanitizer wipes, Clorox wipes, Lysol spray, antibiotic hand soap to put by the bathroom sink and extra meds.  I have also decided I am not shaking hands with anyone this cruise.  I am not one to wipe down my cabin when I board.  but, this time I plan to give it a good once over.  

We always get a flu shot. Wish us luck. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Meltdown said:

Agreed. I'm just surprised when people who had the shot are surprised that they caught it anyway. 🙂

There is no magic pill. 🙂

That's true.

I've never had the flu and just continue to get the flu shot each year.  If there's a vaccine for something, I am all for doing everything I can to be pro-active.  I'm a big hand washer while traveling, so I think that helps a lot.  Plus, we have actually moved away from people who are coughing when we've been in airport waiting rooms.

we sailed the Grandeur from 2/20 thru 2/28.  we could not access our suites until 2 pm vs the usual 1 pm.  we were told that the prior cruise had cases of the flu and that the ship had to be "bombed" with disinfectant.  we had a great cruise but got a late start & missed Nassau due to a huge storm.  we also had to return to Orlando to drop of a medical emergency person....non of this had to deal with illness

8 hours ago, retiredgram said:

We were on the cruise affected with the Flu.  We did not get sick but was told by the Captain that it was type A Influenza, that is normal in the winter months. Everyone had to get off and those of us that were on b2b2b were given the opportunity to go to the Inner Harbor and could be picked up at noon.  We opted to sit on a tour bus outside of terminal  until they let us back on.  Husband went to put our passbooks in cabin and all cabin doors were open and mattresses were on end. They did try to keep everyone healthy, but it is up to each individual to what is expected. This happens at times, but will not deter us from cruising.. .   

Was the ship allowed to dock at all ports as scheduled while having 80+ pax with the flu?

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Was the ship allowed to dock at all ports as scheduled while having 80+ pax with the flu?

The flu did not effect any port stops. We were held up a little while before clearing us on St. Kitts.  Medical emergencies did cause us to miss St. Croix on the 12 night. Nassau on another. We had quite a few emergencies while on our b2b2b.

I boarded the day that the mentioned cruise ended.  We were told not to come to the pier until noon, as they were doing a deep cleaning.  "retiredgram" described the day above.  While no one likes to be sick, 82 cases of flu (and that's not 82 confirmed cases; it's some with Influenza A and some with "flu-like" symptoms) out of 2200 passengers is less than 4%.  We are talking about an older demographic - not only was this mid-February, it's a 12 night cruise, so they are more likely to be susceptible to illness.  When I was teaching, 4% out sick would be a big nothing.

And I am deeply disdainful of a news article that cannot even spell the word "Caribbean" correctly.

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

I boarded the day that the mentioned cruise ended.  We were told not to come to the pier until noon, as they were doing a deep cleaning.  "retiredgram" described the day above.  While no one likes to be sick, 82 cases of flu (and that's not 82 confirmed cases; it's some with Influenza A and some with "flu-like" symptoms) out of 2200 passengers is less than 4%.  We are talking about an older demographic - not only was this mid-February, it's a 12 night cruise, so they are more likely to be susceptible to illness.  When I was teaching, 4% out sick would be a big nothing.

And I am deeply disdainful of a news article that cannot even spell the word "Caribbean" correctly.

Well Said. It's the norm, boarded many times when ship was doing "EXTRA" cleaning that day. For 6 out of 7 yrs ending 2002 Cruised week of Presidents Day, I'd get extra Fed Holiday off and my Kids school had Mid-Winter Break that week. Was mostly 9-12niters many sickies inc me one yr, only time in 33yrs I ever caught anything on a Cruise. Ex twice got sick and 2 my kids came down with Noro on board another. Time of yr, though was only yr my kids were in Program around other kids. Happens, if not on the Ship my kids(now Grands) always bringing sickness home from School...