Corona Virus.. anyone worried??

pmck

11 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

Administration officials have debated whether to effectively ban Americans' use of cruise ships for the duration of the crisis, another individual said, which could include steps to limit cruise ships’ access to U.S. waters.

Meaning we would get in in Florida and it would land/dock only at other US states or only US territories (Puerto RICO/St Thomas)

The US cannot handle evacuating and quarantine cruisers at the expense of government resources.   We need to focus on shutting down this virus before we end up like china italy Iran and I hear spain continues to have rapid increase of infected people.

There are a lot of nice places to visit in the US so if a vacation is mandatory maybe time to do a road trip and enjoy our beautiful land.  Then when all better we enjoy everything that comes with cruising. 

I cannot believe I am typing this as I have 6 future cruises for this year alone but I am definitely going to cancel my March unless they cancel first.

Be safe and stay healthy.  Remember you may get the virus and not even know it and transmit it to someone who could die from getting it.  I dont want to even think about that!

• Like 5

On 3/8/2020 at 6:16 PM, TNcruising02 said:

Personally, I think there is a bigger risk of getting it at an airport because nobody is taking temperatures or being nearly as careful.  I think the airports will be mega spreaders at some point.

Public transportation is a major risk in every city. I worry about traveling on the bus each day. Feel like there's more risk there than on the ship.

• Like 2

Things to consider are that cruises bring people from all areas of the country and world. People will bring, unknown to them, diseases. One cruiser who reports a cold or Flu like symptons and your cruise will probably be affected with loss of port stops or possibly quarantine at end of cruise.  How many of us would be able to or want to endure that hardship and inconvenience? Remember cruise lines are also transferring personal from ship to ship all the time. Hope they will maybe modify this policy with Princess experience.

Also, how will it affect your enjoyment of cruise with this underlying concern, flinching at every sneeze or cough of a fellow cruiser. 

Just saying! We have a cruise scheduled in September and will be monitoring situation until final payment due in May. Definitley holding off on plane reservations at this time even though they have adjusted their policies. Trip insurance already purchased on cruise portion and understand that they will refund premium or alow one to apply to a new trip.

My two cents.

1 minute ago, sawyerfam said:

Things to consider are that cruises bring people from all areas of the country and world. People will bring, unknown to them, diseases. One cruiser who reports a cold or Flu like symptons and your cruise will probably be affected with loss of port stops or possibly quarantine at end of cruise.  How many of us would be able to or want to endure that hardship and inconvenience? Remember cruise lines are also transferring personal from ship to ship all the time. Hope they will maybe modify this policy with Princess experience.

Also, how will it affect your enjoyment of cruise with this underlying concern, flinching at every sneeze or cough of a fellow cruiser. 

Just saying! We have a cruise scheduled in September and will be monitoring situation until final payment due in May. Definitley holding off on plane reservations at this time even though they have adjusted their policies. Trip insurance already purchased on cruise portion and understand that they will refund premium or alow one to apply to a new trip.

My two cents.

It’s completely true-I think someone would be lying if they cruised now and weren’t worried at every sneeze when the drs say constantly those droplets are how it’s spread. I really hesitate to get on and worry the whole time...

• Like 3

13 hours ago, InvKevin said:

With other responsibilities that need to be attended to after the cruise, we can't afford to be locked down for 14 or more days away from home !

Thinking more about my previous post, if only one person on the ship gets sick or shows signs of a virus, everyone is at risk for quarantine because it should be reported.

Even though they gave us an upgrade to a balcony, we just had to cancel our cruise.  The offer was great, but the risks are greater in my opinion.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, slr817 said:

If the weather had any effect against this disease then why are people in warmer countries like Australia getting it and dying from it, as a Nurse I can assure you this is not like the flu, at this point no one knows how bad it will get, the people who say it's nothing just don't want to pass up their cruise

I wondered that myself. It started in China and Hong Kong and it's summer there.

6 minutes ago, Monthend said:

My grandson has been in Asia since January. It's been in the high 80's and 90's. 

That sounds more like Thailand temps. Wuhan, China is averaging around 50F for lows and 60F for highs. It would have been much cooler 2 months ago. 

Edited by MADflyer

5 minutes ago, MADflyer said:

That sounds more like Thailand temps. Wuhan, China is averaging around 50F for lows and 60F for highs. It would have been much cooler 2 months ago. 

Apologies, geography isn't my strong point. Thought he was closer but you are right. Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia. Actually that makes me feel better.Lol

22 hours ago, GM1999 said:

We are set to sail on the Symphony this Sat. Family and friends are telling us to cancel because of the govt warning. However, if we cancel we're out $4000 in airfare. Now we're thinking go to Disney World/Universal instead? Although what's the difference in being around crowds there vs on a cruise ship where crew is disinfecting all the time? No one is taking temps at the Disney entrance right? Trying to keep a level head but when friends are telling us they're all cancelling their plans it makes us think. Haven't heard anything about Harmony or Liberty ships having trouble so that makes me feel better. I wish we didn't have to make a decision in 36 hours. 

Hi, I'm just off the Navigator of the Seas and sailed with my 89 yr old Dad, 55 yr friend and I'm 56.  The ship was sold out, my two flights to/from MIA/BOS were 100% full and we had a blast.  I'd definitely be more concerned about Disney/Univ vs. a cruise right now simply because you are in such close proximity to other people standing in the lines and you HAVE to keep touching the seatbelts on rides.  Royal was taking the temps and not allowing people from the affected areas to board...the parks are not doing those things.  They MADE you wash before entering the buffet and were constantly washing the handrails, elevators etc and there was plenty of Purell!

Does anyone in your group/family have underlying health conditions or a comprised immunity system?  Anyone elderly?  If not, I'd go!  26 people in the U.S. have died, 22 in Wash State, 19 of which were in one nursing home.  For most of us, if we got COVID, it would likely feel like a cold.  Bring Clorox wipes for wiping down your airline seat area and to clean the cruise cabin (we cleaned our outside doorknobs etc every day), wash ALOT, use hand sanitizer, take your vitamins, sleep and eat well/healthy, press the elevator button with your elbow and spend time outside in the beautiful sunny weather.  20,000 people have died from the flu this year, but you were still planning to travel...Enjoy your trip!

• Like 4

I am on Harmony of the Seas right now and feel much more comfortable on the ship than I did at the airport.

Everyone had their temperature taken right away as soon as they arrived at the terminal.  The buffet is roped off so that people have to wash their hands before entering. Hand sanitizer is everywhere and people are actually using it now. 
We had to use hand sanitizer before entering the Escape Room and three times during a ship tour. I see the crew constantly cleaning and wiping down hand rails. Does this type of cleaning happen at amusement parks, supermarkets, airports, public transportation and anywhere else outside of a hospital? 
I think a legitimate concern, although slim, is what happens if someone on the ship has the virus. As far as catching the virus, the airports are what I think of as hot spots.

i have another cruise coming up and unless something changes significantly, I will go on that one.

It seems like anyone in a high risk group would think twice about traveling during flu season, even without this virus. It’s a personal decision. 

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I am on Harmony of the Seas right now and feel much more comfortable on the ship than I did at the airport.

Everyone had their temperature taken right away as soon as they arrived at the terminal.  The buffet is roped off so that people have to wash their hands before entering. Hand sanitizer is everywhere and people are actually using it now. 
We had to use hand sanitizer before entering the Escape Room and three times during a ship tour. I see the crew constantly cleaning and wiping down hand rails. Does this type of cleaning happen at amusement parks, supermarkets, airports, public transportation and anywhere else outside of a hospital? 
I think a legitimate concern, although slim, is what happens if someone on the ship has the virus. As far as catching the virus, the airports are what I think of as hot spots.

i have another cruise coming up and unless something changes significantly, I will go on that one.

It seems like anyone in a high risk group would think twice about traveling during flu season, even without this virus. It’s a personal decision. 

Respectfully said. Thank you!

We leave on the Oasis Sunday. It is not an easy decision but every point you made is why we are still going. No one in our party falls in the high risk categories. 

To those who have cancelled, your reasons are fully respected. There will be a next time. 🙂

Edited by kevnick0814
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, MADflyer said:

The first lawsuit from Grand Princess was just filed in Los Angeles US District Court and it is against Princess Cruises. 

The essence of the complaint is that Princess knew that an infected guest was on the prior cruise and didn't inform guests on the current cruise either before or during. The plaintiffs are arguing that if they had been informed, they would have not boarded the ship or gotten off in Honolulu. The suit appears to be targeting actions that were within control of the cruise line.

My daughter and I recently got off Navigator.  When she went back to her job at the VA as an RN they sent her home for 2 weeks. She has no symptoms, no known exposure.  It was just because she was on a cruise!