Corona Virus.. anyone worried??

pmck

16 hours ago, nalrudaini said:

I'm from Kuwait.  Although we don't have many infected (72 as of today), Schools and universities were closed for 2 weeks.  Today, it was announced that the whole country will shut down for the next 2 weeks, and all commercial flights to be suspended. Borders with Iraq and Saudi Arabia were closed earlier in the week.

There is so much fear, mainly when seeing the sharp increase in confirmed cases in Europe.

The family plans on travelling to the US in July/August.  So far, we haven't talked about cancelling that trip but we will get to it next month probably, when it becomes clear if the virus is under or out of control.  

Nalrudaini- a lot can change and either get better or worse between now and July/August.  We may have a better handle on it by then.  I would not worry too much nor would i cancel yet.  Just my opinion

4 hours ago, Robinhill said:

Nalrudaini- a lot can change and either get better or worse between now and July/August.  We may have a better handle on it by then.  I would not worry too much nor would i cancel yet.  Just my opinion

I agree. That's why we are waiting to see what the outcome is before deciding. We are 4 months away and - like you said- a lot can change 😊

15 hours ago, gammite said:

wow.  i wonder how many other lines will follow suit.

Princess Followed and will have no cruises for 60 days !

Princess is owned by Carnival, so we might see them follow as well soon.

Edited by InvKevin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, InvKevin said:

Princess Followed and will have no cruises for 60 days !

Princess is owned by Carnival, so we might see them follow as well soon.

I don't know what they are waiting for; many of their clientele on social media are HELL BENT on getting on board WOOOOOOOOOOO WOOOOOOOOOOO MY VACATIOOOOOOOOON.  Dumbest adults I've ever encountered in my life.  "It's just the flu"  and anything you show them is "Well, you have YOUR facts, I have mine." ugh.  Someone needs to actually save these people from themselves before they clog and collapse the healthcare system. 

• Like 9

22 hours ago, Junkhouse said:

We all should be concerned but people are going nuts.  Went to several stores yesterday and almost every shopper had at least 4 cases of water in their baskets.

Don't think the water taps are going to be turned off!  

• Like 2

Live news conference...

• British Columbia Health Director is strongly urging no travel outside of Canada whatsoever, including the US.
  • no quick trips across the border to Bellingham or Seattle.
  • If we do travel, we will be imposed quarantine, no school or work for minimum 14 days.
  • Events not allowed over 250 people

I can only assume the (cruise) port will be one of the next issues addressed in the coming days...

in other words Alaska season in grave jeopardy.

Edited by Hoopster95

Update to last post ...  The links will not work from the following JPG as they are for my access only.

Universal Studios is also closing from what I was just told.  Seaworld Parks Orlando still up in the air.

disney.jpg

Confirmed - Universal Orlando Resort will temporarily close its theme parks effective at the close of the business day on Sunday, March 15

Edited by InvKevin
Added Information

16 hours ago, squadron said:

Don't think the water taps are going to be turned off!  

That's more reasonable than buying a year's supply of toilet paper like a bunch of people are doing. After all, if the public works department gets sick, the water might get turned off automatically if a computer detects a problem that no one is there to fix.  On the other hand, it's fairly unlikely that we'll end up confined to our homes for an entire year... 😉

8 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

Use a bidet! Toilet paper is for cave men

We were saying the same thing at our house.. so if people run out of toilet paper, why can't they use water?  Take showers, etc...everyone feeds into the hysteria created by the media.!

16 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I don't know what they are waiting for; many of their clientele on social media are HELL BENT on getting on board WOOOOOOOOOOO WOOOOOOOOOOO MY VACATIOOOOOOOOON.  Dumbest adults I've ever encountered in my life.  "It's just the flu"  and anything you show them is "Well, you have YOUR facts, I have mine." ugh.  Someone needs to actually save these people from themselves before they clog and collapse the healthcare system. 

You do know you can express your opinion without constantly being rude? Maybe give it a try.

• Like 3

Just now, BeachChik said:

You do know you can express your opinion without constantly being rude? Maybe give it a try.

I can express my opinion in a civil way just like you are doing.  You just don't like my opinion.  I think the people hell bent on going on a cruise right now are the epitome of entitled, selfish, and ignorant.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I can express my opinion in a civil way just like you are doing.  You just don't like my opinion.  I think the people hell bent on going on a cruise right now are the epitome of entitled, selfish, and ignorant.  

Yes name calling is very civil. Your opinion means nothing to me. I don't have a dog in the fight since I have no plans to cruise. But what I do see is someone that can't express themselves without name calling and being rude as if that will make people listen.

Edited by BeachChik
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, InvKevin said:

Next sailing on Carnival Pride out of Baltimore has been Canceled

I am getting reports now that Royal Caribbean, NCL, Azamara, and others are going to suspend cruises from US ports soon !

On 3/11/2020 at 1:53 PM, Pratique said:

The experts are saying that the best thing to do is to flatten the curve by limiting the rate of infection. It would take longer to run its course but the day-to-day numbers would be more manageable. Our health care system cannot sustain a sudden spike.

At this point, this is the direction they’re taking.  The big question is whether at this point can it be slowed enough and can it be snuffed out.  I’m honestly not sure whether we can or have the wherewithal to do so successfully.  If we don’t, then we’ll still overrun the health care system.  Let’s hope it can be contained.

RCCL has cancelled cruises for the next 30 days.  Other cruise lines have cancelled for a 60 day period.  Below is a copy RCCL Press Release from earlier today.

Royal Caribbean Announces Voluntary Suspension of Cruises

Friday, March 13, 2020

Today Royal Caribbean Cruises LTD. announced that it is suspending cruising in the United States for 30 days.

We understand the gravity of the public health crisis confronting the country. And this is our part to play. So, beginning at midnight tonight, we are pausing the fleet’s US sailings for 30 days. 

We are reaching out to our guests to help them work through this disruption to their vacations, and we are truly sorry for their inconvenience. We are also communicating with our crew to work out the issues this decision presents for them. We know this adds great stress to our guests, employees and crew, and we are working to minimize the disruption.

Cruises that depart US ports before midnight tonight and international cruises will operate their scheduled itineraries.  US ships already at sea will finish their itineraries as planned.

Our business is providing great vacations and creating great memories. We look forward to getting back to work as soon as we can.”

1 minute ago, Dennis#1 said:

RCCL has cancelled cruises for the next 30 days.  Other cruise lines have cancelled for a 60 day period.  Below is a copy RCCL Press Release from earlier today.

Royal Caribbean Announces Voluntary Suspension of Cruises

Friday, March 13, 2020

Today Royal Caribbean Cruises LTD. announced that it is suspending cruising in the United States for 30 days.

We understand the gravity of the public health crisis confronting the country. And this is our part to play. So, beginning at midnight tonight, we are pausing the fleet’s US sailings for 30 days. 

We are reaching out to our guests to help them work through this disruption to their vacations, and we are truly sorry for their inconvenience. We are also communicating with our crew to work out the issues this decision presents for them. We know this adds great stress to our guests, employees and crew, and we are working to minimize the disruption.

Cruises that depart US ports before midnight tonight and international cruises will operate their scheduled itineraries.  US ships already at sea will finish their itineraries as planned.

Our business is providing great vacations and creating great memories. We look forward to getting back to work as soon as we can.”

My first vacation since I lost my mother, I so needed it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

At this point, this is the direction they’re taking.  The big question is whether at this point can it be slowed enough and can it be snuffed out.  I’m honestly not sure whether we can or have the wherewithal to do so successfully.  If we don’t, then we’ll still overrun the health care system.  Let’s hope it can be contained.

They're focused more on slowing the rate of infection than on containment. It can't be snuffed out. There needs to be a certain percentage of the population that gets infected (and thus develops an immunity to this novel strain) before the herd immunity starts to have an effect on reducing the number of transmissions. In that sense it's like the flu in that lots of people still get sick but not all at once. So the total number of people infected may still be high but ideally it will occur over a longer period of time.

• Like 3