No price drops

CruiseVA

I noticed the same with the cruises we have booked. 

I suspect they will be doing complementary upgrades (? ??Wishful thinking???) or upsells after final payment 

Edited by jennybenny

2 hours ago, CruiseVA said:

I just checked all 7 cruises I have booked thru till 3/22, everyone of them is more now (with less bennefits) than my original pricing.  No biggie, just interesting....

During "normal" times, prices drop to fill ships, so they lower prices but make it up in volume. Ultimately, cruise companies win.

Today, many won't go on a cruise because of the virus. You could lower prices, and its not likely more people will cruise because of lower prices. But at the same time, cruise companies are really hurting financially. So maybe they are thinking, for those that want to cruise now, charge them more, why not. We live in different times now, so cruise companies might be reacting. 

Current pricing on two upcoming cruises (basic or with the paid extra amernities) is higher than what I paid with three-for-three when I booked last fall.

EZAir pricing also is higher than when I booked flights earlier this year.

8 hours ago, ano said:

During "normal" times, prices drop to fill ships, so they lower prices but make it up in volume. Ultimately, cruise companies win.

Today, many won't go on a cruise because of the virus. You could lower prices, and its not likely more people will cruise because of lower prices. But at the same time, cruise companies are really hurting financially. So maybe they are thinking, for those that want to cruise now, charge them more, why not. We live in different times now, so cruise companies might be reacting. 

This is exactly my thinking, too.  I am sailing in a month and the pricing is a lot more than what I paid and I got all three perks added to my sailing.  I have checked and from what I can see, there is a lot of cabin availability!  Now, this isn't taking those guaranteed cabin bookings into account, so I just don't know how sold out it really is.  I was kind of expecting to get an upsell offer but, maybe they are working things out with this new cancellation policy and such before dealing with any other things at the moment.  

BTW, we are still planning on going ... I have a little over 3 weeks to decide.  One of our friends was teasing us that they won't be able to stop in any of the ports.  Fine by me ... wasn't planning on getting off the ship in port anyway.  Plus, Princess is now offering us $200 more in obc to stay onboard and my flights were just rebooked (Southwest) and I saved another couple hundred $ there.  There are increasing numbers of CoVid-19 cases in our area, so not counting my chickens before they are hatched ... but, as mentioned, as of now, we are still planning on our little bon voyage party on our balcony.  

• Thanks 1

I'm wondering if keeping the prices up is a way to discourage those who can still cancel without losing money from cancelling? If I had one booked far in the future and was looking for discounts and saw my early-bird pricing was best, then I would not likely cancel and hope for prices to drop.

Actually, come to think of it, I'm in that position with another cruise line and am holding off canceling for now for exactly that reason, plus I can cancel for any reason until 15 days before the cruise and get a full credit so I'm best to hold onto the deal I have now.

I don't envy cruise lines at the moment, this is an incredibly fluid situation and no amount of emergency planning can cover all the possible outcomes. I will say that everything I've heard about Princess is that they are setting a good example in both handling a crisis and doing what they can to keep their current bookings in place. On the radio this morning I heard an interview with a woman who will be released from the Diamond Princess quarantine this morning and able to finally return home (get this, our government is releasing her from the centre this morning but her flight home across the country isn't until late tonight - what a long stressful day for her!) When asked she said she would be cruising again, and with Princess. She has a free cruise waiting for her so she'll be taking it! 

We were booked on 10 day Med explorer trip for Oct 2021.  Same cruise on same ship, same cabin for Oct 2020; $2300 less;  so I swapped out next Oct for this Oct.  Seems like a win to me

26 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

We were booked on 10 day Med explorer trip for Oct 2021.  Same cruise on same ship, same cabin for Oct 2020; $2300 less;  so I swapped out next Oct for this Oct.  Seems like a win to me

Wow ... now, that is a great deal!!  

My 12 day European Capitals cruise in Sept 2020 dropped from $3,199 to $2,799 earlier this week.  Same cabin, same perks with BSE.  I've had the cruise booked since the day it opened up in Nov 2018 and have been watching prices ever since.  This is the biggest change so far.  

Edit to say the cruise has been selling very well and there aren't a huge amount of cabins available.  

Edited by Paula_MacFan

I see the cost of PVP Platinum has gone up in the past three weeks. May have been a planned increase, so not sure.

We booked the second week of February for July 2021 and insurance was $262 a person. Just checked the same room and it's now $278.

19 hours ago, CruiseVA said:

I just checked all 7 cruises I have booked thru till 3/22, everyone of them is more now (with less bennefits) than my original pricing.  No biggie, just interesting....

Report back when you're within a couple of weeks or so of your cruises. I booked a 7-day r/t cruise out of Dubai in an OV cabin on RCL's Jewel OTS, about 10 days before the cruise was set to set sail, and I paid $175pp.

I keep watching prices and haven't seen the anticipated bargains on Princess. Last year I was fortunate to get some good prices as a single on my Alaskan and Panama Canal cruises. Right now, I haven't found any bargains for singles.

• Like 1