New travel policy coming soon from Royal

1 hour ago, MoniMommy said:

Ar first I thought the FCC was generous, but now I realize it's not. Many cruises will have to be cancelled. The Grand will not be the last ship in this predicament. Once a ship is infected it's out of commission for 1 or 2 months. Also, ports are going to continue to deny entry. By giving FCC they can hold your money even if your cruise is eventually cancelled. 

Well they dint have give us option to cancel Cruise and give you FCC, feel lucky they are. Otherwise under normal rules you decide to cancel, loose the non-refundable part of paid off cruise

• Like 2

I have been following this thread with great interest as we are booked to sail on Ovations of the Seas in April 2020.  If we cancelled this cruise, it is highly unlikely we will do the same cruise before 2021. So my question is, can the FCC be applied over to more than one cruise providing there is enough credit to cover two cruises? 
Secondly, we booked the April 2020 cruise with one TA. I have another cruise booked with another TA for May 2021 where only the deposit has been paid. Can I use the FCC to pay for that cruise?  Does the FCC stay with me or the TA?
Thanks for any responses to my questions. 

Ar first I thought the FCC was generous, but now I realize it's not. Many cruises will have to be cancelled. The Grand will not be the last ship in this predicament. Once a ship is infected it's out of commission for 1 or 2 months. Also, ports are going to continue to deny entry. By giving FCC they can hold your money even if your cruise is eventually cancelled. 

IMO, it is generous for what is happening AT THIS TIME. Cruises from US are not being cancelled yet, so RCCL offering this option gives peace of mind to those cruising in the next few months. Will cruises be cancelled? Maybe...maybe not. 

What about an "at the port" situation where screening (is RCCL doing temperature scans like Princess?)  

What if roommate has a temp and is sent home with a full refund but other pax in cabin wants to sail?  It's not like the room on departure day could be sold to anyone else so seems like RCCL would prefer to let other pax sail and keep the money.  

13 minutes ago, palmettostatecruiser said:

IMO, it is generous for what is happening AT THIS TIME. Cruises from US are not being cancelled yet, so RCCL offering this option gives peace of mind to those cruising in the next few months. Will cruises be cancelled? Maybe...maybe not. 

I am glad you see it that way. I fell cancellations are inevitable. With community spread there is bound to be 1 person on every cruise with the diease. If that person is tested and found positive after leaving the ship (which is what happened with the Grand) CDC can quarantine everyone on the next cruise. This will mean cancellations of all cruises on the ship for days, weeks, (maybe months).

20 minutes ago, SAmome said:

What about an "at the port" situation where screening (is RCCL doing temperature scans like Princess?)  

What if roommate has a temp and is sent home with a full refund but other pax in cabin wants to sail?  It's not like the room on departure day could be sold to anyone else so seems like RCCL would prefer to let other pax sail and keep the money.  

People boarding Grandeur today in Baltimore are reporting temps being taken and questions being asked, so yes, they are screening including taking temps.

25 minutes ago, MaTaiTai said:

I have been following this thread with great interest as we are booked to sail on Ovations of the Seas in April 2020.  If we cancelled this cruise, it is highly unlikely we will do the same cruise before 2021. So my question is, can the FCC be applied over to more than one cruise providing there is enough credit to cover two cruises? 
Secondly, we booked the April 2020 cruise with one TA. I have another cruise booked with another TA for May 2021 where only the deposit has been paid. Can I use the FCC to pay for that cruise?  Does the FCC stay with me or the TA?
Thanks for any responses to my questions. 

The FCC stays with you.  You can apply it to any reservation. Yes the fcc can be applied to more than 1 cruise.  You apply it to the first cruise and any remaining amount will be added to a new FCC that can be applied to a different cruise. 

25 minutes ago, SAmome said:

I’m sure it’s a case by case basis but if one person has a fever and demonstrating flu like symptoms they will most likely deny boarding to all as they have been in close contact with that person. 

2 hours ago, MoniMommy said:

If cruise is cancelled you receive refund in cash not FCC.  Not sure what happens if you cancel today and cruise is later cancelled.  Safest to just hold off on cancelling until close to 48 hour mark.

That's my point. If cruise is canceled you get all of your money back. If you cancel first you get FCC. Right now I am almost at 60 days. If I cancel at 60 days or before I will get half cash and half FCC. If I wait till 48 hours all I get is FCC. If I cancel now I get 50%refund and the rest FCC, but is the cruise is later canceled I cant convert the FCC to a refund.  

Edited by MoniMommy

That's my point. If cruise is canceled you get all of your money back. If you cancel first you get FCC. Right now I am almost at 60 days. If I cancel at 60 days or before I will get half cash and half FCC. If I wait till 48 hours all I get is FCC. If I cancel now I get 50%refund and the rest FCC, but is the cruise is later canceled I cant convert the FCC to a refund.  

You aren't including the previous option where you cancelled now even though the ship may still sail, got 50% refund, and flat out lost the other 50%.  At least you now have the option of the other 50% being FCC.  If you are certain that the cruise will be cancelled, just wait and get a full 100% refund when that happens.

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

If cruise is cancelled you receive refund in cash not FCC.  Not sure what happens if you cancel today and cruise is later cancelled.  Safest to just hold off on cancelling until close to 48 hour mark.

1 minute ago, bobmacliberty said:

You aren't including the previous option where you cancelled now even though the ship may still sail, got 50% refund, and flat out lost the other 50%.  At least you now have the option of the other 50% being FCC.  If you are certain that the cruise will be cancelled, just wait and get a full 100% refund when that happens.

No, I am not certain it will be canceled. I do believe there will be cancellations but dont know if mine will be one. So I can take some cash now and a FCC or risk canceling late and having it all as FCC. I do realize FCC is better than nothing.

16 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

We paid for our upcoming cruise in part with a cruise credit we had from last cruise.  If we cancel do we lose out on the credit?

I am no expert, but I think a new FCC will be issued that incorporates the value you bought in from the previous FCC and of course whatever additional money you paid. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in.

26 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

We paid for our upcoming cruise in part with a cruise credit we had from last cruise.  If we cancel do we lose out on the credit?

You unfortunately lose that FCC and will be issued a FCC in the amount of the actual fare you paid.  I saw a list somewhere that addressed your exact case, I will see if I can find it again, I do remember it says that the FCC you applied will be considered expired.

Just now, reallyitsmema said:

You unfortunately lose that FCC and will be issued a FCC in the amount of the actual fare you paid.  I saw a list somewhere that addressed your exact case, I will see if I can find it again, I do remember it says that the FCC you applied will be considered expired.

Wow! That's not good. I was completely wrong in my assumption.  

Just now, DaniDanielle said:

Thank you my friend.  Hopefully, there will be no canceling!!

I hope you don't have to cancel too, but I can totally understand why you guys would cancel. 🙂  We sail in May and are waiting it out as of now.  I have had enough problems on ships when there wasn't something like this going on, so if anyone is going to catch something, you know who it would be! 😄 

On 3/6/2020 at 10:42 AM, awestover89 said:

Just received this email:

• September 25, 2013
  •  
  • 1,999 posts
  • Key West, FL

Just received this email:

Dear Travel Partner,

As the situation with Coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to evolve, we understand your clients may be concerned about booking new cruises or about their upcoming travel plans. So, we're introducing a new, temporary change to our cancellation policy that gives your clients the flexibility to make the best choice for their vacation. All new and current bookings for sailings on or before July 31st, 2020 can now cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure with our new Cruise With Confidence policy.

As always, thank you for your support and partnership!

CRUISE WITH CONFIDENCE

We're happy to introduce a new, temporary change to our cancellation policy that gives you the flexibility to make the best choice for you and those in your party. All guests who are currently booked on sailings on or before July 31st, 2020 can now cancel their reservation up to 48 hours to departure.

If you cancel outside of final payment:

• If you booked a Non-Refundable Deposit program - you'll receive a Future Cruise Certificate in the value of your deposit and a refund for all other funds paid.
  • If you booked a standard promotion - you'll receive a full refund of all amounts paid.

After final payment, if you cancel up to 48 hours before your sailing:

• You'll receive credit for any funds held in penalty to use on a cruise sailing before December 31st, 2021.
    • You can expect to receive your credit via email within 1 week of when you cancel your booking.

We hope that this new policy provides you with comfort - knowing you can choose to sail as planned or at a later time. Either way, we want you to have the perfect cruise vacation. Since this policy is new, we've included some answers to questions you may have below. Please note that this policy is subject to change.

The health, safety, and comfort of our guests and crew remain our highest priority. To learn more about how we are keeping our ships in tip top shape and for insights into our travel regulations, click here.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International. We look forward to seeing you onboard very soon!

Sincerely,

Aurora Yera-Rodriguez

AVP | Guest Experience

Royal Caribbean International

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

1) What precautions have been taken to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus while onboard?

• All terminal and ship access points are being thoroughly sanitized before and after all sailings. In addition, high traffic areas onboard, including restrooms and public areas, are undergoing extensive cleaning each evening, over and above the normal procedures. Daily announcements are being made to remind guests to wash their hands often, use recommended coughing etiquette, and report any illness symptoms immediately. Also, additional medical staff has been added and are providing complimentary medical consultations during each sailing. To learn more, visit our dedicated updates page here.

2) Do all sailings qualify for "Cruise with Confidence"?

• The "Cruise with Confidence" program covers all new and existing bookings departing before July 31st, 2020.

3) What if I want to change my ship and sail date instead of cancelling?

• Guests outside of final payment can change their ship and sail date. If you booked a Non-Refundable Deposit program, we'll waive the change fee for sailings through July 31st, 2020.

4) I'm within Final Payment and I know exactly when I want to cruise again. Can I just change my ship and sail date and not get the Future Cruise Certificate?

• We're happy to hear you've already planned your future cruise with us! Unfortunately, we won't be able to change your ship and sail date within the Final Payment period. What we can do is create a new booking and collect deposit so it's ready to go when your Future Cruise Certificate becomes available to use. Don't worry - if the credit covers the deposit, it ends up going back to you. Please contact us or your Travel Advisor.

5) What is the process for cancelling my reservation?

• Should you be interested in cancelling or moving your existing reservation to an alternate ship or sailing, click here to get the process started. We'll automatically cancel your reservation and issue you your credit within a week of the date you cancel your booking so that you can rebook. If you decide to call us, please know wait times may be longer than expected.

6) Do the same parameters apply to both Group and Individual reservations?

• Both named Individual and Group reservations qualify for the "Cruise with Confidence" guidelines.

7)Will my air change fees be protected?

• If you've booked your air through our Air2Sea program and now wish to alter plans, you can do so with confidence! Royal Caribbean will handle all re-accommodations and we'll cover any change fees. You'll be responsible for any additional charges.
  • If you booked your air independently, please reach out to your air carrier for assistance with cancelling or changing your flight accommodations

😎 What about hotel and transfers? Will I receive a refund for those?

• If you purchased these with Royal Caribbean - they will be refunded. Anything purchased outside of Royal Caribbean is not covered.

9) Do standard Final Payment timelines still apply?

• Yes, full payment is still required on your Final Payment Date. Please reach out to your Travel Advisor or review your Booking Invoice for more information.

10) How are Non-Refundable Deposit bookings impacted by this policy update?

• If you booked a Non-Refundable Deposit and wish to cancel outside of Final Payment, we'll provide you with an FCC for the full amount of your deposit, instead of taking a penalty of $100 USD per person. If you choose to change your ship and sail date outside of Final Payment, we'll waive the change fees for any sailings departing before July 31, 2020.

11) What if I booked with Royal Caribbean Travel Protection? Can I still use that to make a claim?

• If you booked and paid for Royal Caribbean Travel Protection, you can still file a claim for cancellation through AON. Please note, if you agree to receive a credit from AON, your Future Cruise Certificate from Royal Caribbean International will be inactivated. The benefits of Royal Caribbean Travel Protection will still apply if you choose to sail. We will not be refunding the amount of Royal Caribbean Travel Protection as our guests can still use this to claim other travel expenses.

12) How long will the Future Cruise Certificates be valid for?

• They will be valid for all sailings departing on or before December 31st, 2021.

13) What if I decide to cancel for the Future Cruise Credit and I already had an FCC on my reservation?

• You're in a unique situation, since you used a credit. Your original Future Cruise Certificate will be considered redeemed and used. You'll receive a new Future Cruise Certificate based on the cruise fare in penalty in your current booking. You're forfeiting your old credit, so you may want to wait to decide. We are optimistic that things will be more stable.

14) What will happen to my Onboard Credit if I cancel?

• Any Next Cruise Onboard Credits will be re-added to your booking if you change ship and sail date. And if you choose to cancel, it will be re-applied to your new booking. All other Onboard Credits will not move with your ship & sail date change and will not be honored on new bookings.

Brand

38 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Found it, number 13 on the above quoted post.

Edited by reallyitsmema

Glad to see Royal did this.  But this part kind of sucks

13) What if I decide to cancel for the Future Cruise Credit and I already had an FCC on my reservation?

• You're in a unique situation, since you used a credit. Your original Future Cruise Certificate will be considered redeemed and used. You'll receive a new Future Cruise Certificate based on the cruise fare in penalty in your current booking. You're forfeiting your old credit, so you may want to wait to decide.We are optimistic that things will be more stable.

I have a cruise booked for May.  Used $900 in FCC towards the $2500 payment.  So if I understand this correctly, if I cancel I am out the $900 in previous FCC and only get issued $1600.  Am I wrong?

doesn't make sense to me especially since the original FCC would not have expired til the end of October.

I hope I am misinterpreting this.  If not I hope Royal reconsiders.  Right now I am not cancelling but if things get worse I may and it seems quite unfair to lose that $900 .  At a minimum the previous $900 FCC should be reinstated with it's original expiration date (October in this case)

Edited by Maverick61
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

I know, you have had your share of fun times!  We got such a good price on this trip I really would hate to cancel.  Hopefully, by May this will all be contained and a vaccine will be available.

When most doctors claim it will be at least a year until a vaccine is available.

13 minutes ago, Maverick61 said:

I have a cruise booked for May.  Used $900 in FCC towards the $2500 payment.  So if I understand this correctly, if I cancel I am out the $900 in previous FCC and only get issued $1600.  Am I wrong?

You are not wrong.  That is exactly how it will be handled.