16 Night Suez Canal - Jewel OTS itinerary change? Now ends in Athens!

March 23, 2020 sailing.

Looked at cruise planner today and it looks like the itinerary has changed.  Cruise docs do not show a change.  The main issue is that it now terminates in Athens instead of Rome.  A big difference considering the flight from Rome...

When do they send out the official we have changed the cruise notice so that we can change our flights?  I do not want to change the flight without being notified.

Essentially they added an overnight in Dubai, removed Oman stops, added a couple of sea days, Limassol Cyprus, a stop at Crete /Chania (Souda), and an overnight in Athens (Piraeus).

I guess the next cruise will now start in Athens instead of Rome.

Edited by mike123abc

Just got notice from RCL:

As a result, we’ll now begin our cruise with an overnight visit in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, where we’ll set sail at 5:00 PM on Tuesday. Then, once we sail through the Suez Canal, we’ll visit a new port, Limassol, Cyprus, before making our way to Rhodes, Greece. Next, we’ll visit Chania (Souda), Crete, Greece on Monday. And lastly, we’ll end our cruise with an overnight in Athens (Piraeus), Greece. Below, please find our revised itinerary.

Image did not load.

I just got off the phone with American Airlines and changed my flight.  They were nice enough to wave the change fee this time.  They said however if it changes again I would have to pay both change fees.  Hopefully it will not change again.

I can just imagine the number of flight changes this virus is causing.  A couple thousand airline seats just changed with this one cruise...

The big highlight of the trip is Jordan, so hopefully it will still stop there.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, scottraveller said:

So if you don’t want to change flights are they obliged to provide a full refund of your airfare 

If you booked airfare through the cruise line they will typically, but if you do your own thing they typically don't refund 3rd party services.

53 minutes ago, scottraveller said:

I’m sure in a court of law they would have a problem with that due to contract law. 

I don't know about the law but there are many people who were on our cancelled Quantum cruise who are seriously out of pocket for flights and hotels that were non refundable. Thankfully we booked as a package with a UK ta who were obliged to refund everything. Before the cancellation they had already changed the disembarkation from Hong Kong to Singapore so we had to change flights. They offered up to $400 change fee for independent flights.

4 hours ago, Heymarco said:

United is allowing free changes to anyone booked though end of March to anytime this year. Hopefully other airlines will follow suit.

Not as helpful as it sounds. From United site:

No change fees for new bookings 

We know people are taking a second look at their travel plans right now, and we want you to have flexibility when planning your next trip — that's why when you book a flight with us between March 3 and March 31, 2020, you can change it for free over the next 12 months.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Thanks 1

Royal did address the airline change fees in the email:

If you purchased flights through our Air2Sea program, we’ll reschedule your flights home for you. There is no need for you to call in as we will be sending your new flight details via email no later than Wednesday, March 11th.

If you booked your flights independently, you may reach out to your airline carrier to assist with the changes. 
If you re-book your flights on your own and incur a change fee, we’ll reimburse you up to $200 USD per guest for Domestic flights and up to $400 USD per guest for International flights, with proper documentation. Please submit your receipts to RoyalGuestRelations@rccl.com for review and reimbursement. 

If you need assistance accommodating your travel home, our Air2Sea Team is available to assist you at 888-372-9996 from the US or Canada or 019321834223 Internationally.  If you’d like to re-book your flights through our Air2Sea Team, you’ll be booked in economy class flights at no additional cost. Please know, flights are at the discretion of our Air Sea Experts.
And, if you booked airport transfers through us and are changing your flights through the airline directly, please contact us to provide the new flight details. 

Celebrity just cancelled the Constellation from Dubai to Barcelona (formerly Civitavecchia). The Connie is currently in Mumbai and is terminating the cruise there early. According to an email to the customers the ship can´t return to Dubai. In another email to the customers of the Dubai-Barcelona cruise Celebrity stated that the VAE have closed their ports. The Jewel is currently in Dubai. But I fear the two more cruises might be cancelled as well as the Dubai-Athens one.

steamboats

According to TUI Cruises the closure does only affect ships coming in from other areas than the UAE waters. As the Jewel is staying within the UAE waters she might not be affected. But it´s a developping story.

steamboats

55 minutes ago, kernow said:

On another site people currently on Jewel posting that today's cruise is going ahead as normal. Ship is being deep cleaned as a precaution.

That gives me hope at least!! We have spent so much time organising things, with your help, after Quantum got cancelled and fly out on Thursday!

On 3/7/2020 at 5:10 AM, mike123abc said:

Just got notice from RCL:

As a result, we’ll now begin our cruise with an overnight visit in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, where we’ll set sail at 5:00 PM on Tuesday. Then, once we sail through the Suez Canal, we’ll visit a new port, Limassol, Cyprus, before making our way to Rhodes, Greece. Next, we’ll visit Chania (Souda), Crete, Greece on Monday. And lastly, we’ll end our cruise with an overnight in Athens (Piraeus), Greece. Below, please find our revised itinerary.

Image did not load.

Sort of not related to the original topic, but how does tbe overnight stay work? 

Do you have to spend the night onboard? 

If you do, is there a curfew? 

If you spend the night in town, do you have to inform the ship? 

If guests are free to spend the night onboard or in town, would doors be closed at a certain time at night and reopened in the morning? 

18 hours ago, TRUEBLUE66 said:

Thanks, good to know. Enjoy your cruise!

Hopefully  we will be getting on next Monday.

If you frequent the Windjammer, you will NOT be disappointed. This has been THE most diverse Windjammer I have ever seen. There are all different types of food, and it's all great!