Email from Orlando Ashford - Great response to a crisis

ASIWISH

1 minute ago, gphb said:

We see an additional $100 for the first and second passenger but nothing for the third passenger in a cabin.   I always find the $200 per cabin/$100 per passenger misleading as why should we automatically assume this caps in HAL's favor (presumably for single passengers).  Every passenger including the third and fourth is making a choice in cruising at this time.

It would be a very nice suprise if that $ 100 OBC would be applied for one of the grandchildren, because only port taxes are paid for this 3rd passenger in a cabin. We do not expect this at all.

We booked with Expedia, I tried calling today but couldn’t get through. We have a sister trip April 5. 3 of us sharing a cabin. Our sister listed as “passenger 3” found out her work is issuing new regulations. Anyone traveling outside the country for spring break is supposed to self quarantine for 2 weeks. As of now the Caribbean is not included. Should it be, she would need to cancel. 
Does anyone have experience with this? Is she out her shared portion? Does she get a FCC? Do we absorb her portion? Hoping she won’t have to cancel. But myself and sister #1 are NOT going to cancel. I know this is probably difficult to answer. 
Thanks for your help.

Edited by dueforacruise

I recieved the e-mail this morning.  I am booked on a Coastal cruise 4/25/20 and am having some 2nd thoughts about that cruise as I am at  high risk for serious disease if I got attacked by the virus.  Have allready discussed with my travel agent and everything can be just moved over if I rebook by 3/31/20 for a cruise to begin before 3/31/21.  Planning to contact my pulmonologist for medical advice next week then make up my mind whether to go on 4/25 or cancel and rebook for a later date, possibly 08/2020.

18 minutes ago, gphb said:

We see an additional $100 for the first and second passenger but nothing for the third passenger in a cabin.   I always find the $200 per cabin/$100 per passenger misleading as why should we automatically assume this caps in HAL's favor (presumably for single passengers).  Every passenger including the third and fourth is making a choice in cruising at this time.

I'm a single person in a cabin.  I pay for 2 people even though I'm the only one in the room.  I'm getting $100, not $200.

I kind of feel since I'm paying for an invisible person, the invisible person should get their onboard credit too!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

We just got the $200 OBC for our May cruise to Alaska.  Does HAL allow you to use non-refundable OBC to buy future cruise certificates like NCL does?  If not, can it be used toward excursions or daily service charges?  We still plan on going but are waiting to see how bad the outbreak situation gets in Kirkland since we have to fly to Seattle for the cruise.

4 hours ago, suec12 said:

We booked our May cruise long ago and plan / hope to go. It is my understanding that if we sail, we will get an additional OBC? I viewed my payment tab and saw only an earlier OBC noted - anyone seeing their amount adjusted to reflect the current "stay on board" incentive or am I misunderstanding that older booking would also be getting an additonal credit?

I booked our April 27th cruise just 18 days ago and I don't see the $100pp on my payment tab either but maybe it shows up closer to sail date.  If I don't see it a few days before we leave I will contact my PCC to check.

22 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I booked our April 27th cruise just 18 days ago and I don't see the $100pp on my payment tab either but maybe it shows up closer to sail date.  If I don't see it a few days before we leave I will contact my PCC to check.

In speaking with a HAL rep earlier today, I was told it "may" not show up until you are on board.  Should that be the case, I would definitely print/save a copy of that email to take with you.  Mine did show up on my booking, perhaps because I had HAL tinker with the booking slightly, and that may have triggered the addition of the OBC.  Hopefully it shows up soon or that your PCC can confirm for you

15 minutes ago, CruisingAndDiving said:

In speaking with a HAL rep earlier today, I was told it "may" not show up until you are on board.  Should that be the case, I would definitely print/save a copy of that email to take with you.  Mine did show up on my booking, perhaps because I had HAL tinker with the booking slightly, and that may have triggered the addition of the OBC.  Hopefully it shows up soon or that your PCC can confirm for you

Thank you!  Great info!

• Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 9:54 PM, awhcruiser said:

Pretty sure everyone who has a cruise on HAL has received this email!

My cruise is in August and I didn't get it.  Maybe it went to my TA?   Or maybe because it's August I didn't get it, and they'll see what happens when it get closer to final payment.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dueforacruise said:

We booked with Expedia, I tried calling today but couldn’t get through. We have a sister trip April 5. 3 of us sharing a cabin. Our sister listed as “passenger 3” found out her work is issuing new regulations. Anyone traveling outside the country for spring break is supposed to self quarantine for 2 weeks. As of now the Caribbean is not included. Should it be, she would need to cancel.

I can't help with your other part but have heard of the companies requiring self quarantine.  I have a coworker leaving today on Bliss out of NYC.  Since it's just Bahamas he won't have to, but this is a legit concern.

57 minutes ago, VermeulT said:

My cruise is in August and I didn't get it.  Maybe it went to my TA?   Or maybe because it's August I didn't get it, and they'll see what happens when it get closer to final payment.

Could be!

1 hour ago, VermeulT said:

Maybe you did not get it since you are still before final payment date and can simply cancel on your own without a penalty.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, VermeulT said:

I can't help with your other part but have heard of the companies requiring self quarantine.  I have a coworker leaving today on Bliss out of NYC.  Since it's just Bahamas he won't have to, but this is a legit concern.

My company asked me to self-quarantine after returning home from vacation in Italy on Feb 28.  On the day before I returned they put in place stringent business travel policies and also encourage folks not to travel on vacation to any of the 'hot spots'.  The problem with that is that what is a safe destination one day may be a hot spot the next. There were literally 0 reported cases in Italy when I left on my vacation, and by the time I returned the Lombardy and Veneto areas were blowing up with cases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VermeulT said:

This is only for cruises departing before May 31. I'm sure they're hoping the situation is under control by then. 

I booked a stateroom for myself and my wife and another stateroom (with a different confirmation number) for my mother in law. We got the email with her confirmation number but not ours (up to this point we have received 2 copies of every communication from HAL - one for our booking and one for hers).

So, I logged in to check, and we did get $100 added each for my wife and myself ($200 for our room), but only $100 for my mother in law (not $200 as she is traveling solo). We'll see how it works out but honestly she already probably had more OBC than she could use since shore excursions are already paid for and she doesn't drink.

As all of us did, I received the email.  What a great response by HAL.  We embark next week in FLL.  So far still planning to go, and I’m not complaining about $200 in onboard credit.  So far, none of our stops is on the CDC no-go list.  Thankfully, wife, teenager, and I are in good health.  I’m genuinely worried that ONE person with the flu could keep us from docking at any port including the home port....however, despite the news the last two days about delayed disembarkment, there are dozens of cruise ships and only a few issues.

Tough decision to make now...good thing I always buy the premium cancellation policy...

Maybe I need to call to see if I can upgrade to a suite if folks are cancelling...

Edited by neuronbob

Offering OBC for going on a booked cruise is a very cynical response by HAL.

They should be doing what Viking is doing which is refunding all funds paid in the form of a travel voucher which is good for up to two years from the time of cancellation. To entice people to get into a potentially hazardous situation as what HAL is doing is serious misconduct.

There are so many ramifications if people get quarantined on a ship. One which I didn't even consider which was pointed out by a passenger on the Grand Princess was if a person is on medication they may not have enough with them to maintain proper dosage for an extended period. I would bet this would affect a sizable portion of your typical cruise demographic.

If it were me I would say NO WAY to HAL's offer.

13 minutes ago, NordicPrince said:

Offering OBC for going on a booked cruise is a very cynical response by HAL.

They should be doing what Viking is doing which is refunding all funds paid in the form of a travel voucher which is good for up to two years from the time of cancellation. To entice people to get into a potentially hazardous situation as what HAL is doing is serious misconduct.

There are so many ramifications if people get quarantined on a ship. One which I didn't even consider which was pointed out by a passenger on the Grand Princess was if a person is on medication they may not have enough with them to maintain proper dosage for an extended period. I would bet this would affect a sizable portion of your typical cruise demographic.

If it were me I would say NO WAY to HAL's offer.

Per the email by Orlando Ashford, the reason for this thread:

They did and are. We were to leave March 21st. We were refunded our full cruise fare (since we were past final payment) in the form of a FCC and then used it to book a new cruise. We had the option of booking our new cruise through the end of this year with the cruise commencing by the end of 2021.

The OBC is for those who are not cancelling.

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

My company asked me to self-quarantine after returning home from vacation in Italy on Feb 28.  On the day before I returned they put in place stringent business travel policies and also encourage folks not to travel on vacation to any of the 'hot spots'.  The problem with that is that what is a safe destination one day may be a hot spot the next. There were literally 0 reported cases in Italy when I left on my vacation, and by the time I returned the Lombardy and Veneto areas were blowing up with cases.

This is my travel concern. Nobody knows what place(s) will be hot spots tomorrow or next week or next month.

It's difficult for travelers to know what to do. Those of us here may have one or two trips we're worrying about. But imagine the stress at the cruise lines--it's impossible to plan for the unpredictable. 

• Like 1

We got this from HAL today.  I did check the link provided, and it is part of the medical blog on the HAL site.  

We are closely monitoring the situation with COVID-19 (coronavirus) and our medical experts are working with global health authorities. For the most-up- to-date health advisory and list of boarding restrictions, please visit:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/coronavirus-travel-advisory.html

Please check this page frequently for updates, and if you or your client are subject to any of the restrictions, please contact us with proof of travel for
a full refund. All guests will be subject to pre-boarding health reporting and enhanced screening at check-in. Guest passports will be scanned to verify compliance. False responses on forms will result in immediate debark at the
next opportunity, and you may face legal consequences. Due to changing events, it is possible that entry requirements for the countries on your cruise may

change and your itinerary may be modified or some guests may be required to stay on board. We may change requirements to safeguard our guests and crew.

This whole situation is so unfortunate but I do think HAL is reasonable in their handling of it.  We were supposed to leave on the Nieuw Statendam on March 29th and have been waiting for a year for this trip.  We decided today that we will cancel and take the FCC [though I was told be HAL that my FlightEase flights will be refunded in cash.  She actually broke down what I would get back to my credit card vs what would be in an FCC].  We are in decent health and not elderly so are not too worried about getting sick but the risk of being quarantined or missing ports is too much for DH to stomach.  He said he will not enjoy himself if the whole trip he's thinking any minute the captain could come on the PA and announce we cannot dock, either in a port or at the end of our trip.  The Princess situations have changed our feelings on the matter; it would suck to miss a flight home because of a delay or be forced into the even worse situation of a quarantine.  We've decided to just go to Mexico for the week instead where the risks are less.