Here’s the bottom line on deciding to cruise for now

cl.klink

6 hours ago, jcpc said:

I'm somewhat amazed at the fact that "over 60" is considered "elderly".  Lots and lots of folks in their 60's are still working every day and are in no way what I would consider elderly.  I guess perception of elderly changes as one gets older!!

OMG...is so agree with you...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, travel1light said:

But  this advisory from the State Department doesn’t  change that. As long as cruises run, people will continue to go, and disproportionate resources are still going to be called into play.   

But the problem is that if ports no longer receive ships based on CDC, WHO, and government warnings, cruises can't run.  I've held strong in my refusal to cancel but the writing appears to be on the wall with recent press releases.  Sad can't begin to describe how I feel.  😥

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Edinburghgirl1 said:

I agree I’m 61 this year still working and go to the gym everyday and run 5k.  I’m on no medication. I’ve never smoked and my blood pressure is in the ideal range so why am I classed as high risk? Provided my cruises at end of August and November and my land holiday to Thailand in June aren’t  cancelled I  fully intend   to go.!

I applaud you!!

2 hours ago, esp15 said:

With the denominators still being so small, less than 500 active cases in the US with a population of over 300,000,000 people, the risk is still very, very, very low of you having any disruptions. 

Don’t you have to test people, though, to obtain the correct numbers? From this side of the pond, we keep hearing/reading about the lack of testing in the US. 

Since your government has issued a statement stating US citizens should not travel by cruise ship, then really if you choose to do so, you are putting yourself in the situation and will be expected to get yourself out of it.

Ports are refusing ships in every corners of the world, so again, what’s the point in sailing and causing further issues/problems for others to sort? Surely this constant worry/anxiety of what may happen on your sailing can’t be good for your health either.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, mafig said:

I haven't cancelled yet.

I suppose if I had, I might be on here posting that others should also.  It would make me feel better about my decision.

Or maybe I'd let others decide for themselves.

I am not sure how this thread took off in the politics and age and hygiene direction, but I totally agree with this comment. People should do what's best for them and not worry about what others are doing.

Edited by TCBFlash
  • Like 4

I totally agree this is a decision everyone has to make for themselves. Based on facts and their own comfort level. But this is not a game or contest. No one should be congratulated for what ever decision they make. Nor should they be criticized for it. At this point there is no definitive answer to what is best for everyone. No one is a hero for going on their cruise nor for canceling it. We all have to do what we think is best for ourselves and our families. Period!

dcl  

• Like 3

We are scheduled to cruise on April 5th, and our family (well, I should say, my parents) are having a hissy fit that we are still planning on going. I just turned 36 yesterday and my husband is 35.  We are healthy. No underlying issues that we know of.  I’ve talked to hubby about the chances of quarantine. He doesn’t seem too concerned. He works for the federal government and he said it would just be considered sick leave, which he has TONS of. 
Going to wait I guess & see how the next few weeks pan out. I wouldn’t want my parents to cruise right now.. decisions, decisions. 

• Like 3

Actually, anybody with high risk IMO is over 50- when you look at the charts.  Of course if you had CA and underwent chemo in the past couple of years or have other medical issues- you should stay home.  Your life, and the life of those you might contaminate at home has to be worth more then a cruise.

We will sail again this summer. On this side of the pond!

17 hours ago, villauk said:

Don’t you have to test people, though, to obtain the correct numbers? From this side of the pond, we keep hearing/reading about the lack of testing in the US. 

Since your government has issued a statement stating US citizens should not travel by cruise ship, then really if you choose to do so, you are putting yourself in the situation and will be expected to get yourself out of it.

Ports are refusing ships in every corners of the world, so again, what’s the point in sailing and causing further issues/problems for others to sort? Surely this constant worry/anxiety of what may happen on your sailing can’t be good for your health either.

I do believe the number of cases in the U.S. will increase as new test kits are released.  Many people here are also "self quarantining" to prevent future cases.

There are conflicting statements about cruise travel for U.S. citizens and I believe some of those statements are politically motivated.  That being said, if two healthy adults with no underlying health issues want to take a cruise...

Also given the increase in PRE SCREENING for cruise ships and (this should also be at airports) I do believe that there won't be many more extended cruises due to infected passengers and crew....

I am not an infectious disease MD but I did work at the CDC for a while including the Ebola, SARS, and MERS outbreaks...

Donna

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Realblonde474 said:

Dr. Fauci is not a CDC spokesman, he works with USAID,  just an FYI.  

Thank you.  I knew that!  Duh.  VP Pence kept deferring to him so I just lumped him in with the CDC group.  My bad.

1 hour ago, Realblonde474 said:

Dr. Fauci is not a CDC spokesman, he works with USAID,  just an FYI.  

Tony Fauci is the Director of the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Disease, one of the National Institutes of Health. Nothing to do with USAID, other than sharing the last three letters of the acronym. 

Correct that he is not part of CDC. 

Edited by markeb

Yes... these are very trying times.  But...  can we all just take a deep breath?

1.  Please folks, just make your own decisions about whether to cruise or cancel.  No need to list your health issues here on Cruise Critic and solicit advice. Only YOU can decide.

2. Please be realistic...  the cruise lines and TA's are trying their best.  They are overwhelmed. Be patient, and expect to wait if you are calling.

3. If your cruise is AFTER July, please stay off the phone for now.  You are not affected by final payment at this point.  Let others get through this situation first, ok?

4. The current compensation "MAY" not be the final compensation when this thing is finally sorted (ie: FCC's, refunds, etc).  Again, please be patient, and let this settle out. The cruise lines will need your business, and they'll be fair (hopefully).

5. Finally...  please think globally. To cruise or not is a first world problem.  Your disappointment of canceling may be your best decision.  Don't agonize. Don't look back.

So please... let's all pull together and pray for a healthier (and cleaner) world, and hopefully cruising will be in your future.

Until then....  stay safe and healthy.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, julia said:

Yes... these are very trying times.  But...  can we all just take a deep breath?

<my snip>

So please... let's all pull together and pray for a healthier (and cleaner) world, and hopefully cruising will be in your future.

Until then....  stay safe and healthy.

@julia  thank you for your well timed & thoughtful post...  hopefully I'll be able to thank you in person in May :) 

• Like 4

Today I realized my TA wouldn't be paid if I were to cancel now.  I'm hoping that if I do have to cancel at the 11th hour, she will have received commission.  This is her entire livelihood.  This is so awful for so very many.  I realize I have it easy and need to quit thinking so much about myself.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely agree! And let’s not forget in addition to the TA, anyone you speak to at airlines & hotels are trying to help you. While you’re upset about your vacation, they’re worried if they will have a job when all of this is over. 

• Like 2

And only the cruiser can decide whether waiting to request a cash refund is in their best interest.  It is not always. I am getting a cash refund on three trips, but I am waiting to request it out of respect for others who are trying to get through now, but there is a certain amount of risk in that approach. 

Thanks.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 1:41 PM, mafig said:

We have 3 people over 60 (way over 60) running for President.  

However, I guess they shouldn't go on a cruise?????

Using those three as an example doesn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence in me, if you know that I mean......lol.