Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

Regards future cruise credits.  Not much use if a company goes bust and some people who had booked TC hols with vouchers were not able to re claim the value when they went down, even if a new holiday was booked.  They had to prove the holiday had been paid for with money.  Not something we would be accepting at present from any holiday company if there was an alternative of a refund.

13 minutes ago, Hampshire Steve said:

I don't particularly want a refund but the business man in me thinks there is a greater value to a cancelled FCC than just a 100% refund. Its a wait and see - nearly bought Carnival shares at £15 a couple of days ago, cheaper now and who knows in a week?

Of course there is always the possibility that Carnival could go into administration, with outstanding debts lost, and  then be bought out of admin to start cruising again without any huge financial liabilities........just saying.

Oops I see tring just beat me to it.

Edited by terrierjohn

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Of course there is always the possibility that Carnival could go into administration, with outstanding debts lost, and  then be bought out of admin to start cruising again without any huge financial liabilities........just saying.

Chapter 11, yes a possibility but my thought are their bankers might step in before taking that hit. 

If shares are cheap enough then it's a risk worth taking, perhaps safer or equal to going black or red?

20 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Oops I see tring just beat me to it.

There's a lot in that. Plenty of successful companies trading today only because the original shareholders were ditched.

I've written off my Carnival shareholding now. Anything I get from it will be a bonus. 

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

Why are we delaying the inevitable then? 

I always thought that a pandemic ended two ways. Either most build up immunity and it dies down or it becomes same as common cold/flu where it will never go and is reoccurring. 

I’m assuming that we are delaying for a vaccine? 

Partly to allow time for research to develop effective drugs and/ or vaccines but mostly to slow the spread of transmission to stop the NHS, social care and other systems being overwhelmed. E.g. if they expect 500 people in your town to need urgent hospital treatment for the virus but your local hospital only has the capacity for 50 people, then everyone's chances of survival are much better if those 500 people don't all catch it right at the beginning in one go! Ditto needing enough not-ill people at any given time to continue caring for the kids, elderly, sick and disabled and to make sure things like production/ distribution/ sales of food and medicines continue throughout. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

and what about all the Europeans that live here in the UK.  Are they banned from travel to the US.  He hasn't said so.   Mind you, he's such a pillock, he probably wouldn't know that.

I'm glad you had enough discipline to moderate your language then Jean 😇Many on the other hand would have found it rather more difficult. Me for one.😤

Avril 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, staygulf said:

Just seen that Sir Patrick Vallance says that the virus will return year after year, like flu, and it will take 60% of the population to be infected to build up herd immunity. 

That's at least 40 million people and how long is it going to take to get to that number, several years.

I was of the opinion that the summer cruise season is essentially no more and how long is the FCO travel advisory for the 70 and overs etc going to last, August, October, next spring.....?

So if it takes several years each year it will cull 3% of the up to 70's. 8% of the up to 80's and 14% of the over 80's

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm glad you had enough discipline to moderate your language then Jean 😇Many on the other hand would have found it rather more difficult. Me for one.😤

Avril 

The origin of pillock is interesting, somewhat like the origin of 'Richard head'

• Haha 1

If P&O go belly up a new cruise line will emerge from the debacle. They still own the name Ocean Village so that sorts out the dress code and free booze arguments.

allegedly TUI will re emerge Marella as Thomson and occupy the former Cunard market segment!

Edited by davecttr

10 minutes ago, davecttr said:

If P&O go belly up a new cruise line will emerge from the debacle. They still own the name Ocean Village so that sorts out the dress code and free booze arguments.

allegedly TUI will re emerge Marella as Thomson and occupy the former Cunard market segment!

Perish that thought right away.

Marella not covering themselves in glory at the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

Looks like Oceana Fly Cruises starting from Malta will be in doubt following the new restrictions from Maltese Government 

https://www.maltatoday.com.mt/news/national/100993/live_coronavirus_prime_minister_to_announce_new_measures#.XmuS4C-nyf0

Entrants to Cyprus from UK will have to self quarantine for 14 days on arrival, up to 28th March.

Does Oceania go there without me looking?

Unlikely but not impossible, normally if you cancel before final balance is paid you forfeit the deposit. You need to wait and see what the best offer is from P&O, but I suspect the best you will get is an FCC credit to the value of your deposit, then you have until the end of the year to decide if you want to put use it to book another cruise, or throw it away and take the loss.

34 minutes ago, staygulf said:

That’s you banned from entering America then. 😜

Having flown there hundreds of times when I was aircrew, I can assure you I have no desire to ever go back there.  Now Canada is a different matter.  I lived there for 2 years.  So totally different from the States.

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I wonder what Aurora will do.  No ports to go to.   Do they come back and let everyone off, or just steam around for the next 7 days or however long the cruise is.

Absolutely gutted.

Spoke to doctor and my Heart Attack in December where I got a stent fitted and feel very fit is classed as Chronic Heart Disease.

We have had to cancel our Azura Transatlantic cruise next week as per Government advice!!

Edited by grapau27