Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Is that N004?  I read that it was cancelled on Facebook?  Written by someone who was booked on the cruise.

If this is the Ventura cruise for Tuesday, we are also booked on that one.

Based on the latest FCO advice, we won't be able to go because my wife has asthma and it seems pretty clear that the fco advises against travel on cruise ships if you have asthma, so although I haven't actually checked the small print of our travel policy yet, I suspect we would not be covered anymore.

I'm assuming the 48 hour limit for making decisions doesn't apply if you are changing your plans under FCO instructions?

Are P&O waiting till Sunday to tell everyone, hoping that more people will rebook rather than wait for a refund?

If they cancel the entire cruise, do they have to refund everyone automatically or do we still have to call them?

3 minutes ago, Javert1969 said:

If this is the Ventura cruise for Tuesday, we are also booked on that one.

Based on the latest FCO advice, we won't be able to go because my wife has asthma and it seems pretty clear that the fco advises against travel on cruise ships if you have asthma, so although I haven't actually checked the small print of our travel policy yet, I suspect we would not be covered anymore.

I'm assuming the 48 hour limit for making decisions doesn't apply if you are changing your plans under FCO instructions?

Are P&O waiting till Sunday to tell everyone, hoping that more people will rebook rather than wait for a refund?

If they cancel the entire cruise, do they have to refund everyone automatically or do we still have to call them?

My feeling, so not based on any fact, is to wait for them to move. I am. They will need to cancel or it will be you and me sat in the Epicurean next Tuesday having a free steak, looking out over the city of Southampton

• Like 1

Someone mentioned P&O doing round the UK cruises.  I dont think this is a bad idea.  They could do hop on- hop off sort of thing, so people dont have to travel to Southampton for a cruise, and they could port every day, so anyone who gets ill would not be far from medical help. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fishnchips said:

Maybe p&o should be shutting down like the rest of the cruise lines for 60 days like everybody else !!!

Just announced by all cruise lines 

P&O The cruise line that goes that extra mile .....🚢😏

1 hour ago, grush240 said:

Sorry to hear this mate, we've had to do the same my COPD and the gaffers Type2 have stuffed us. have rebooked for the same cruise next year. Mean time booked an 11 day trip to Cyprus on the 24th, I'am going away

Sorry to hear your situation too.

I hope your Cyprus trip makes up for missing your cruise.

My friend is on  Britannia's TA from Barbados at the end of March so I've been checking the Caribbean for any port closures. I couldn't find any, so that got me thinking. Couldn't P&O do round trips to some of the islands as most of them are virus free? I think I'd give it a try. At a very reasonable price of course.

Avril 

37 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Hi Jean, on a different note. Now looking for a summer break in either Devon or Cornwall. Have done the English Riviera and Illfracombe. Anywhere else you would suggest !!!!!! Serious question

Perhaps I should start a new thread called "If we can't sail what is your recommendation"

If you haven’t visited Northumberland then would highly recommend. Glorious beaches, great walks, great pubs, restaurants and people. Always had great weather too when we have been up there.

Also West Coast of Scotland or Ireland as above.

X

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Deeliteful said:

If you haven’t visited Northumberland then would highly recommend. Glorious beaches, great walks, great pubs, restaurants and people. Always had great weather too when we have been up there.

Also West Coast of Scotland or Ireland as above.

X

🤫 Don’t tell everyone 😂 

• Like 1

I’m confused. P&O is NOT saying that over 70’s or those with underlying health issues cannot cruise. They are saying that over 70’s and those with underlying health issues CAN still cruise with them, providing that these passengers acknowledge that they are still prepared to do so in spite of govt advice. Exact wording is;

If you’d like to keep your existing booking, your ship and crew will be ready and waiting to welcome you, however you will be asked to confirm you have chosen to sail having read the latest government guidance.

Many on here are saying that if any over 70’s or those with underling health issues cruise then their insurance won’t be valid, yet P&O ask all passengers to have travel insurance. So are P&O really encouraging ‘high risk’ passengers to travel with no insurance? I would doubt it, so is it an absolute fact that these passengers won’t be covered by their insurance? 

10 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I’m confused. P&O is NOT saying that over 70’s or those with underlying health issues cannot cruise. They are saying that over 70’s and those with underlying health issues CAN still cruise with them, providing that these passengers acknowledge that they are still prepared to do so in spite of govt advice. Exact wording is;

If you’d like to keep your existing booking, your ship and crew will be ready and waiting to welcome you, however you will be asked to confirm you have chosen to sail having read the latest government guidance.

Many on here are saying that if any over 70’s or those with underling health issues cruise then their insurance won’t be valid, yet P&O ask all passengers to have travel insurance. So are P&O really encouraging ‘high risk’ passengers to travel with no insurance? I would doubt it, so is it an absolute fact that these passengers won’t be covered by their insurance? 

Yes and yes. Travellers defying the FCO advice will be uninsured and P and O are actively suggesting that they consider doing that, thus breaking the terms of the passage contract. A ridiculous situation. God forbid someone is tempted by their 125% sweetener and falls ill on a cruise uninsured. Doesn’t bear thinking about. Would P and O be responsible for the costs?

Edited by staygulf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Hi Jean, on a different note. Now looking for a summer break in either Devon or Cornwall. Have done the English Riviera and Illfracombe. Anywhere else you would suggest !!!!!! Serious question

Perhaps I should start a new thread called "If we can't sail what is your recommendation"

We will survive

I feel sorry for Hayes who have just 'saved' Thomas Cooke folk ………..

Come down to Salcombe, the southernmost point in Devon.  Walk on Dartmoor etc.  It's beautiful down here.

Just now, jeanlyon said:

Come down to Salcombe, the southernmost point in Devon.  Walk on Dartmoor etc.  It's beautiful down here.

Many, many happy memories of Paignton as a child (and more recently with elderly parents) and more recently Hele Bay in Illfracombe. Just checking them all out but would like to do somewhere different

How bizzare though on CC to be asking about a holiday in the UK ......

I may be picking your brains !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must start another thread called Not really Cruise Critic but ....

18 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Many, many happy memories of Paignton as a child (and more recently with elderly parents) and more recently Hele Bay in Illfracombe. Just checking them all out but would like to do somewhere different

How bizzare though on CC to be asking about a holiday in the UK ......

I may be picking your brains !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must start another thread called Not really Cruise Critic but ....

Perhaps someone should invent a website and forum called Trip Advisor 🙂

Would not have the same familiar company over there though, must admit.  Will be a lot of posts disappearing from here, but I won't tell. 

Edited by tring

13 minutes ago, staygulf said:

Yes and yes. Travellers defying the FCO advice will be uninsured and P and O are actively suggesting that the hey consider doing that, thus breaking the terms of the passage contract. A ridiculous situation. God forbid someone is tempted by their 125% sweetener and falls in on a cruise uninsured. Doesn’t bear thinking about. Would P and O be responsible for the costs?

I’m not doubting you, but I’m struggling to get my head around it because it just doesn’t add up. Is the FCO wording ‘advise against’ enough to invalidate insurance? If yes, why on earth are P&O not just automatically cancelling bookings made by all over 70’s? Could it be the same reason as the new cancellation policy I.e. trying to keep money in the business via future cruise credit, rather than refunding? Also, if the FCO wording is sufficient to invalidate insurance, surely P&O has an obligation to flag to those customers over 70 who still decide to go ahead with their cruise that they will be doing so with no insurance cover?  I’m surprised that I am the only person to have picked this up as it seems a major issue to me. The only other possible explanation is that the assumption that insurance is invalid is incorrect. 

Edited by Selbourne