Canada Ban on Cruise Ships until July 1st

koolforkatz

2 hours ago, npcl said:

I have relatives that live in two of the port towns.  While they would be economically impacted they would prefer that the ships not come until the outbreak ends due to very limited local medical facilities.

Alaska seems to have taken very little direct action so far.  Probably because of a lack of cases.  As I understand it they just got their first one, a cargo pilot.  But no local spread as of yet.

Ok. Correct, we have 1 known case. Our schools are closing for the next 2 weeks to try to flatten the risk of spreading when everyone returns from spring break vacations.

Only thing we can do at this point is wait to hear from Princess what their plans are. 

We are booked on an Alaska cruise leaving Whittier 06/27 - arriving in Vancouver July 4th . . . final payment is due next week. Hoping there is some messaging from Princess before then. Hesitant to make final payment on a cruise in the apparent grey zone like that.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, japlanet said:

Only thing we can do at this point is wait to hear from Princess what their plans are. 

We are booked on an Alaska cruise leaving Whittier 06/27 - arriving in Vancouver July 4th . . . final payment is due next week. Hoping there is some messaging from Princess before then. Hesitant to make final payment on a cruise in the apparent grey zone like that.

Your final payment was moved to 60 days prior to cruise.

Should be April. We have a June cruise, final payment in April. So you have some time.  

• Like 2

of course … easily ? maybe not so much if they want to lessen them in the case of Canada - maybe a decision 30-60 days in advance for the cruise lines to re-adjust ?

3 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

All of which can be adjusted 

12 hours ago, nooptere said:

The 5 stages of grief and loss are: 1. Denial and isolation; 2. Anger; 3. Bargaining; 4. Depression; 5. Acceptance.

People need to get to stage 5 real quick - cruises to Alaska will not be happening this summer.  Certainly none before July 1st and I highly doubt any after that point.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, voljeep said:

so which is the more 'realistic' plan

1) Australia - 30 day ban

2) Princess and others - 60 day ban

3) Canada - 7/1 - which is 108 days from today

hopefully Canada is not the 'new norm'

Canada might not be long enough. Consider the bans to be extendable depending upon events as they near end.

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

so which is the more 'realistic' plan

1) Australia - 30 day ban

2) Princess and others - 60 day ban

3) Canada - 7/1 - which is 108 days from today

hopefully Canada is not the 'new norm'

New Zealand has also imposed a ban, similar to Canada's, until June 30.

Have a cruise 9/11/20 from New York cruising Canada. Final Pay date is May 14. Would you cancel before that or pay and take a chance. Did not purchase insurance. Deposit refundable.

Cruise cost $11,000

Insirance is $1200.00 and it only refunds 75% of fare. Cancel for any reason not available. Thats why I didnt buy it.Age 72. Wife 69

2 minutes ago, sunneesmile said:

my point is from a conversation earlier in the thread that cruise lines have not had time to make any changes yet.  Don't be a meanie

Sorry. I misunderstood.

Yes, website changes are slow.

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

Have a cruise 9/11/20 from New York cruising Canada. Final Pay date is May 14. Would you cancel before that or pay and take a chance. Did not purchase insurance. Deposit refundable.

Cruise cost $11,000

Insirance is $1200.00 and it only refunds 75% of fare. Cancel for any reason not available. Thats why I didnt buy it.Age 72. Wife 69

If it were me, I would cancel. You can always rebook if things calm down and you really feel you want to go.  

58 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Cruise cost $11,000

I would not finalize it, especially without insurance. You would be at the mercy of the cruise line and their compensation package. So far most have been decent but you never know what might happen. And we don’t know how the financial health of the lines will land once this is over. I wouldn’t want them holding $11,000 of my money. 

But watch how things go and use a fare alert website to notify you of changes then you can go ahead and re-book when things look better. Canada is being so ultra-cautious right now. I am within final payment and waiting to see what happens. And I got a great deal on the cruise and flights. But if I had the option to back out, I would. Too many things up in the air right now. But hopefully it all works out. 

We have an Alaskan cruisetour booked on Grand Princess.   Dates are 5/12-5/22.  Ends in Vancouver.  We are patiently waiting to see what Princess does. I was looking at cruises for later in the season, before I knew about the Canadian ban.  A TA from one site just called me.  She said ALL May Princess cruises were cancelled.  I didn’t think to ask her about June. We are hoping to see Princess has extended FCC to our cruise.  I’m sure all cruise powers that be are scrambling this weekend.  I feel so sorry for all involved. From the cruise line employees to the port cities.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Cruise cost $11,000

Insurance is $1200.00 and it only refunds 75% of fare. Cancel for any reason not available. That's why I didn't buy it.Age 72. Wife 69

Lots of missing info (personal health natch) to make informed opinions, IMHO.  But something to consider is the new Princess cancellation policy is 30 days out, so you can treat 8/12/20 as similar to your FP date.  Granted, you get refunded with a FCC for the penalty amount, but you don't lose anything if a repeat customer.  If this thing continues, I expect current policies to extend.  

4 hours ago, JEL1958 said:

We have an Alaskan cruisetour booked on Grand Princess.   Dates are 5/12-5/22.  Ends in Vancouver.  We are patiently waiting to see what Princess does. I was looking at cruises for later in the season, before I knew about the Canadian ban.  A TA from one site just called me.  She said ALL May Princess cruises were cancelled.  I didn’t think to ask her about June. We are hoping to see Princess has extended FCC to our cruise.  I’m sure all cruise powers that be are scrambling this weekend.  I feel so sorry for all involved. From the cruise line employees to the port cities.  

that is very early for an Alaskan land tour.  The tour buses in Denali only go 25 miles into the park.  For that reason alone I would be glad that the cruise/cruisetour is canceled.  If you can go later in the season you won't regret it. 

Leaving 1 day after the famous Princess implementation of a 60-day cruise shutdown.  We thought we would be going still, then Canada decided to close all Canadien ports to ships with over 50 passengers.  I know this cruise cannot continue, it would leave on 5/11/2020, then go to Victoria, BC, and, disembark in Vancouver, still in May, well before the July 1 date that Canada will allow cruise ships into port...

Edited by CruiseVA

We didn’t realize we were too early when we booked.  The buses won’t even be running until a few days after we are there.  We can rent a Jeep, but can only go in 15 miles.  We are glad we will be able to reschedule for this reason.  We may even wait until 2021.