Royal follows Cancels cruises for 30 days

1 minute ago, flyguyjake said:

Do you think they crews are staying onboard and just doing extra cleaning, maintenance and perhaps minor refurbishments?

I will ask a couple of my friends on one of the ships when they get back in port. Their internet is so bad(and they make them pay $4 an hour) that they only use wifi or cellular in port. They are entertainers so I am sure they will be sent home but I will ask what will they do with the other crew. 

Also just received my e-mail for my 3/22 Anthem sailing. They will process the FCC, but you can request a full refund anytime before 12/31/21. 
Given that I have other cruises booked, I’ll probably take the 125%.

mac_tlc

I foresee future cruises will get booked up fairly quickly with all these cancellations... I canceled our last week, haven't received the FCC email yet with #,  so good luck to everyone booking at a later date with that voucher. They stated 7-10 days to receive the confirmation # for credit.

13 minutes ago, blackjack24 said:

I feel for all of the employees and entertainers on the ships. I've made some friends on Royal ships and keep in touch with them and they were of course worried about the virus but also wanted to be able to finish their contract to make money. What will Royal do with them now? I know they must go home or somewhere but I assume they will not be paid and then are they just expected to return to finish their contracts? 

A lot are going home, some already have their flight schedules. 

3 hours ago, flyguyjake said:

VP Pence said most cruise lines were paused for 60 days. I think Royal is cutting it short and leaving the door open to pissing even more people off when they have to extend the pause for another 30 days.

Royal isn't even shutting down for the full 30 days. It's all a game of chicken right now. The cruise line doesn't want to have to give that many refunds so they're only doing 28 days right now hoping people cancel and take the FCC. for cruises up to 60 days from now. I think it's pretty clear that they'll have to increase the length of the pause....

I'm booked past the 30 days, end of april.

I'm wondering if my prepaid parking is partially refundable. Didnt occur to me to look at cancel terms,

... just in case the 30 days is extended.

Sounds like the 30 days was forced on them, not voluntary. 

I planned on getting away from these boards, then saw it posted to my roll call. 

Good that rcl refunds cruise price, but some have other expenses tied up, some have already flown to port from postings here. 

I dont want to lose $70 parking prepaid fees. Nothing compared to some, but who wants to lose money. Didnt occur to me to wait when I booked parking in feb.

If anyone else has parking booked, let us know how you fared, if you got a refund.

5 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Royal isn't even shutting down for the full 30 days. It's all a game of chicken right now. The cruise line doesn't want to have to give that many refunds so they're only doing 28 days right now hoping people cancel and take the FCC. for cruises up to 60 days from now. I think it's pretty clear that they'll have to increase the length of the pause....

Well the Pres just tweeted he "asked" them to do it. Game of chicken? You are suggesting that we were all notified that our cruises were cancelled and we are all trying to work to get associated cancellations made as part of a game? While I will agree there are some nuts playing in this escapade, this 30 day thing is no joke. And they have had so many cancellations they couldn't cruise with so few people anyway, it would cost them more than it's worth. There are real people getting real negative consequences here.

Some of the opinions that I have seen from so many in recent days have just been astounding - paranoia, conspiracy theories, scoffing at almost every person of every type and opinion, I guess this kind of thing brings out the worse and not the best in cruisers... errr people.

Edited by AlohaLivin
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Yekis1689 said:

No one at Royal knows anything just spoke with them, and they said it is still sailing and I informed about press release 🙄 guess I will call back in 2-3 days see if I can get switched to the April 25th sailing

I’m on the Anthem right now and the crew on the ship seemed to be in the know? Our waiter was telling us he was done in 1 1/2 months and is hoping to just go home early. 

49 minutes ago, elephant98 said:

So, it’s not a 30 day suspension after all. The Saturday April 11th sailing is not included. 

Hehe, we all joke about “Royal Math” when calculating fares.  Evidently, Royal math extends to processes as simple as counting to 30.

My next cruise is 30 days from today.  So, it appears Dh and I are still in “wait and see” mode.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

Well the Pres just tweeted he "asked" them to do it. Game of chicken? You are suggesting that we were all notified that our cruises were cancelled and we are all trying to work to get associated cancellations made as part of a game? While I will agree there are some nuts playing in this escapade, this 30 day thing is no joke. And they have had so many cancellations they couldn't cruise with so few people anyway, it would cost them more than it's worth. There are real people getting real negative consequences here.

Some of the opinions that I have seen from so many in recent days have just been astounding - paranoia, conspiracy theories, scoffing at almost every person of every type and opinion, I guess this kind of thing brings out the worse and not the best in cruisers... errr people.

What I am suggesting is that the company knows full well that they'll be cancelling cruises for the next 60 days but have only announced so far for 30. I believe they are hoping that people cruising 30-60 days out will cancel on their own and thus only owed a FCC and not a full refund. Royal does not want to give refunds. 

For the record.....I believe Royal should definitely be giving refunds. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

Some of these opinions in recent days are just astounding - paranoia, conspiracy theories, scoffing at almost every person of every type and opinion

Yes accusing some of fear mongering! Read this! 1% of your state "could" become infected with coronavirus.

The director of Ohio's Department of Health said Friday her statement the previous day that 100,000 people in the state currently have coronavirus was based on "guesstimating," casting doubt on the high number.

"I am not saying there are absolutely for certain 100,000 people, I'm saying I'm guesstimating," the director, Dr. Amy Acton, said at a news conference.

Acton had drawn attention on Thursday when she said at a press conference alongside Gov. Mike DeWine (R) that she estimated there are already 100,000 people in Ohio with coronavirus, based on the fact that the virus is spreading in the community.

"We know now, just the fact of community spread, says that at least 1 percent, at the very least, 1 percent of our population is carrying this virus in Ohio today," Acton said then. "We have 11.7 million people. So the math is over 100,000. So that just gives you a sense of how this virus spreads and is spreading quickly."

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/487534-ohio-official-was-guesstimating-statement-that-100000-people-have

2 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

What I am suggesting is that the company knows full well that they'll be cancelling cruises for the next 60 days but have only announced so far for 30. I believe they are hoping that people cruising 30-60 days out will cancel on their own and thus only owed a FCC and not a full refund. Royal does not want to give refunds. 

I agree with you completely. I’ll be waiting until the 48 hours (more like 72?) before our April 11 sailing to cancel for this precise reason. In the meantime, I will make a likely fruitless effort to hold Royal to their “30 day” press release which is still on their website and try to get a refund now. 

Just now, blackjack24 said:

One of my friends on board messaged and said all crew and entertainers are staying on the ship for 30 days. He said a lot of the regular crew are happy because it will be like a paid vacation. 

So wonder what happens if and when a crew member contracts conronavirus. Does a new 14 day quarantine take place? You would need ships without passengers for a minimum of 14 days before you know all crew is clear. I wonder if they are getting crews tested?

7 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I completely agree that they don’t want to do that (give refunds). I feel for all the entities who are losing so much over all of this. Today I heard Delta is cutting 40% of employees... I can’t fathom...🙁

11 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

So wonder what happens if and when a crew member contracts conronavirus. Does a new 14 day quarantine take place? You would need ships without passengers for a minimum of 14 days before you know all crew is clear. I wonder if they are getting crews tested?

I'm not sure at this point. He said they don't have a lot of details yet other than they are staying on and still getting paid. I figured if it was 30 days they might try and keep everyone on because it would be so hard to replace people or expect them to come back in 30 days because they come from all over and that would be another nightmare. If it gets pushed to 60+ days I would think they might send them home. I asked if they were staying in port or having to stay at sea. For their sake I hope they get to stay in port so they can at least have free usable internet to make time go by faster. 

I also wonder what happens to the ones who were close to going on vacation? Several I talked to were only a couple weeks from vacation when I got off my 2/29 sailing. Will they make them stay or do they go home?

We were scheduled to leave on Sunday on 3/15/20 on Liberty of the Seas, I am choosing the full refund to be applied to my credit card as 125% FCC might be a less value for a future cruise based on the lack of supply of cabins, itineraries and ships, just something to ponder.

PS trying to get my United airfare refunded now, wish me luck

16 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Hmm, trouble with that logic is that some people will be actively booking those cruises 30-60 days out, including those who just had cruises canceled.  Only to turn around and refund them again (or offer 125%FCC).

More likely, they do not have a crystal ball, so they do not know exactly how this outbreak will develop in the coming weeks.  It may indeed be require more cancellations (as you suspect).  Or perhaps we will all be more fortunate and 4 weeks will be enough.