Royal Caribbean suspends all cruising in US

Charles4515

46 minutes ago, SusieV said:

125% is an insult for those of us cruising this weekend.

I'm not trying to be a smartass here, but how is that an insult? This is not a case of a cruise line cancelling because of fault in their ship or any other condition that they could have prevented or need to take responsibility for. This is all uncharted territory. 

Would it have made more sense or been more acceptable for some for X to say " theres a global pandemic right now and travel isn't advisable at this time, especially by cruise ships, but in deference to those whose cruises are in the next 30 days, we'll continue sailing so that their vacations are not ruined or they are inconvenienced"?  

Seriously, you either pull your ships or you don't. I think the only reason that today's ships were allowed is because a decision/ announcement did not cone until after boarding and/or sailing time in some ports. However, I seriously doubt that anyone boarding a ship today did so with 100% confidence that the ship would sail, especially in light of new developments in the last 72 hours. 

Could the press release have been a little more detailed? Possibly but they issued a very detailed release within 3 hours of the original. Perfectly understandable and reasonable. 

• Like 3

Thank you!  When I first saw this announcement a few hours ago, I emailed my TA regarding a refund, vice FCC. He replied that my 4/11 Infinity cruise was not cancelled.  So glad you took the screen shot!  

1 hour ago, SusieV said:

And next week. We’ve spent money we can’t get back, cancelled gigs, etc. They should have decided this earlier, or given something like Princess did. Show us they actually care. 

• Like 2

I just wish they would at least consider rescheduling my cruise for another time for the same amount of money we paid originally. Even with the extra  25%, the same cruise next year is about $3,000 more for the two of us 🙁

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SusieV said:

I certainly would not take it- cash is king any day. 

Of course people will moan and then rebook on another cruise and so life goes on......

Only if you complain and lots of others do on say Twitter which is very public will the offer change. But even then I doubt it will.

I note from Mirage’s post that cash refunds will take 30 days 🤷‍♀️
The FCC would not be so bad apart from the fact that it will go no-where to purchasing a similar cruise in the future, the prices are already a lot higher. Once you have ‘committed’ your FCC, then X considers it redeemed, so you cannot change your sailing without losing the value of the FCC.

11 hours ago, flvol77 said:

My TA just said Royal will resume operations April 11th .....

At this stage I'd suggest "is currently scheduled to resume operations" is more accurate than "will" - it's very difficult to know where the world will be in 30 days time.

2 minutes ago, DYKWIA said:

At this stage I'd suggest "is currently scheduled to resume operations" is more accurate than "will" - it's very difficult to know where the world will be in 30 days time.

Absolutely. Apparently Corona virus cases will be at their peak here in the UK in four weeks time. That could very well have an impact on Apex sailings from Southampton as she's due to start her maiden voyage in 18 days I believe. 

50 minutes ago, isdoo said:

I certainly would not take it- cash is king any day. 

Note that you can opt for a cash refund up until the FCC expiration date, which is 31 Dec 2021. Since all future cruises seem to be priced considerably higher than what I paid for my just canceled cruise, that extra 25% may come in handy. So, for now I'm taking the 125% FCC knowing I can always convert it to 'king cash' should I need the money (for a lower priced cruise with a different line). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, downsmead said:

I note from Mirage’s post that cash refunds will take 30 days 🤷‍♀️
The FCC would not be so bad apart from the fact that it will go no-where to purchasing a similar cruise in the future, the prices are already a lot higher. Once you have ‘committed’ your FCC, then X considers it redeemed, so you cannot change your sailing without losing the value of the FCC.

If X really wants to stay afloat, it seems that they would let you pick a similar cruise (Norwegian Fjords to Norwegian Fjords) at a future date and keep your price paid and perks.  As has been said, the future cruises are priced a lot higher with fewer perks.  The 25% additional doesn't come close to covering the difference.  

Once cruisers begin realizing this, they will be hitting X up for the 100% refund.  Not a smart move on X's part IMHO.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jawz33 said:

Thank you!  When I first saw this announcement a few hours ago, I emailed my TA regarding a refund, vice FCC. He replied that my 4/11 Infinity cruise was not cancelled.  So glad you took the screen shot!  

I’m on that sailing too...I think they’d need to honor the refund offer but who knows.  We would rather take the refund then a FCC.  My husband said when I have hours to wait on home go ahead and try to call.  Lol.

The Celebrity.co.uk website is not including any information about cruises being suspended for the month. The latest on the website under Travel Alerts is about all cruises from 16th March denying boarding to over 70's without the doctor note. However when going to Celebrity.com the information is there. Big and bold. If Celebrity want to keep several websites running they need to ensure the latest information is added to them all. Either that, or have just the one website. 

1 minute ago, laslomas said:

The Celebrity.co.uk website is not including any information about cruises being suspended for the month. The latest on the website under Travel Alerts is about all cruises from 16th March denying boarding to over 70's without the doctor note. However when going to Celebrity.com the information is there. Big and bold. If Celebrity want to keep several websites running they need to ensure the latest information is added to them all. Either that, or have just the one website. 

It is hidden!

Click on the Corona virus alert at the top of the page, then when the black travel alert line comes up, pick the arrow and the list of suspensions is there.

It is not obvious at all, should be ‘headline news’ IMO

12 hours ago, bluwes said:

Our sailing is gone. Our next job is getting our mega dollar business class flights refunded. Don't hold out much hope

So sorry....

You could ask if they would give you an open ticket...nothing to loose by trying. 

Alternatively check your insurance and credit card small print, you never know...

It would be useful if you could feed back for others probably facing a similar situation in the next few weeks.

Edited by chemmo

What’s upsetting is we were not notified until 10pm the night before the cruise. When the info had been spreading thru the internet for about 5+ hours. They issued a press release before they notified passengers. When we first heard rumors on the street in PR we called and they told us we would have to go to the dock in the morning to find out what they would do for us. 

For those that think travel is a minor inconvenience 10 hours from LA to PR is more than that. 

I understand they had to pick a date for it to start. But people Cruising should have been notified at least simultaneously if not first. No compensation for our flight down here or hotel. Our celebrity book air was rebooked for us with all 4 of us in middle seats not near each other- that is not equivalent to what we had. 

so yes, I agree people sailing tomorrow should have been offered something more that people sailing in a month. Who know if insurance will even cover any of this. 

• Like 2

This confusion about what’s cancelled and what’s not is pretty pathetic.  I realize the pandemic is unprecedented in the cruise industry and decisions and press releases are being made quickly, but they should be able to count and edit a press release.  I assume that before a press release is considered ready to be released it is reviewed by several key staff and the CEO.  Wouldn’t you think someone in the room would look at a calendar and ask the question: Why is April 13 Reflection cruise being cancelled a staff member asks since it’s past the 30 day suspension period?   It’s not supposed to be the CEO answers.  But it’s on the list of cancelled cruises the staff member replies.  Who’s the idiot who put it on the list the CEO asks.  Is there anyone else in this room who can’t count?

And put it back on the website the CEO demands.  Nevertheless, the April cruises on the website start with April 21.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, chemmo said:

So sorry....

You could ask if they would give you an open ticket...nothing to loose by trying. 

Alternatively check your insurance and credit card small print, you never know...

It would be useful if you could feed back for others probably facing a similar situation in the next few weeks.

It’s getting ridiculous now. Last night our sailing on the 13th April was listed as suspended. This morning it’s been removed and showing as sailing. Left hand  right hand springs to mind.

• Like 1

Celebrity is doing nothing to instill any confidence in sailing with them on 4/11.  While I do appreciate this is all new territory, theIr ever changing refund policies, and un-cancelld cruise dates makes me apprehensive.  Also, 30 days from midnight March 14 is not April 10.  

Folks, this is all very new and unprecedented.  Unless you were supposed to sail today or in the next week or so, let's give them time to sort all of this out and come up with the accurate list of ships and sailings affected.  If you are beyond 30 days as of now a little patience perhaps.  IMO I think the 30 day period will likely be extended since it will be totally driven by port closures, travel restrictions, and government restrictions.  That will be a very slow and cautious approach.  Unfortunately there will not be a magic calendar day when the world goes back to normal any time soon.  We all just need to support each other here and elsewhere.

• Like 2

Misinformation, confusion, new boarding rules, lack of direct communication with those passengers who were affected. Heads should roll. I understand that there is great pressure and the future of the company is on the line. Times require cool heads and organizational skills and so far those involved in the process show neither. I can drive to the port, no problem for me, but I really feel for those with flights, hotels, tours, etc who reacted to what Celebrity told them. The Board needs to step up and launch an internal investigation of this entire matter and take action which would extend goodwill to those affected. Celebrity has been a great company with wonderful people and a truly hope that real soul searching with bring the company back stronger than ever!

Edited by Orator
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Orator said:

Misinformation, confusion, new boarding rules, lack of direct communication with those passengers who were affected. Heads should roll. I understand that there is great pressure and the future of the company is on the line. Times require cool heads and organizational skills and so far those involved in the process show neither. I can drive to the port, no problem for me, but I really feel for those with flights, hotels, tours, etc. Who reacted to what Celebrity told them. The Board needs to step up and launch an internal investigation of this entire matter and take action which would extend goodwill to those affected. Celebrity has been a great company with wonderful people and a truly hope that real soul searching with bring the company back stronger than ever!

I would suspect any internal investigation on how this has been handled is constantly ongoing and the hope is they will learn from mistakes made up until this point and adapt. This really is an unprecedented situation and it’s  hanging on a daily basis whether that’s the airline industry, cruise companies, local government, and of course those running countries. Personally we would not fly anywhere just now, just too much of a risk regardless.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Orator said:

Misinformation, confusion, new boarding rules, lack of direct communication with those passengers who were affected. Heads should roll. I understand that there is great pressure and the future of the company is on the line. Times require cool heads and organizational skills and so far those involved in the process show neither. I can drive to the port, no problem for me, but I really feel for those with flights, hotels, tours, etc. Who reacted to what Celebrity told them. The Board needs to step up and launch an internal investigation of this entire matter and take action which would extend goodwill to those affected. Celebrity has been a great company with wonderful people and a truly hope that real soul searching with bring the company back stronger than ever!

Heads are rolling I’m sure just for the fact that they are taking a massive downturn in business. A tour operator I used to work for that owns a fleet of river and small cruise ships and has land tours all over the globe laid off over 60 employees this week (out of a staff of maybe 400 or so) at their US headquarters plus laid off staff all over the world at their regional offices. It’s more than passengers losing their vacations and crew temporarily out of work. Lots of other people impacted. Think of all the hotels and restaurants in the FLL/MIA area that will be ghost towns now without the cruise business, or all those local transportation companies who take people to and from ships.

• Like 2