Are our cruising days over? (merged topics re: health and age restrictions)

WmFCoyote

16 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

The people are from Palm Springs. The reporter that got the phone call previously was also from there. That is why he called and wanted to speak to her. He was familiar with her.

The ship personal knew she was a very possible COVID19 case. Yet they did not inform the passengers. They only told them to self quarantine when they got home. They left into the community in cars, buses,  went to the airport and boarded flights. "Quarantine when you get home."  Sounds to me that they just wanted to get people off. Now they were exposed and they have now exposed others on their way home. 

Someone screwed up bad!

Edited by onboard2005

I know this is slightly off topic but I've been noticing that there is a LOT of cruise ship traffic coming and going from Port Everglades.  Today there are three ships, yesterday I think there were four other ships and the day before looked like five or six different ships.

Anybody know what is going on?  Are they disembarking crews or taking on supplies?  I don't think they're sailing with guests....😕 

Edited by Daniel A

20 hours ago, onboard2005 said:

The people are from Palm Springs. The reporter that got the phone call previously was also from there. That is why he called and wanted to speak to her. He was familiar with her.

The ship personal knew she was a very possible COVID19 case. Yet they did not inform the passengers. They only told them to self quarantine when they got home. They left into the community in cars, buses,  went to the airport and boarded flights. "Quarantine when you get home."  Sounds to me that they just wanted to get people off. Now they were exposed and they have now exposed others on their way home. 

Someone screwed up bad!

And that is exactly why neither the governor of Florida nor the mayor of Fort Lauderdale want to allow the HAL ships to disembark, in order to avoid a repeat of the above.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I know this is slightly off topic but I've been noticing that there is a LOT of cruise ship traffic coming and going from Port Everglades.  Today there are three ships, yesterday I think there were four other ships and the day before looked like five or six different ships.

Anybody know what is going on?  Are they disembarking crews or taking on supplies?  I don't think they're sailing with guests....😕 

Noone disembarks - crew only on board - strictly fuel, provisions, dump garbage, and go back out

"maybe" if a crew member is "sick" they get disembarked - not even sure about that now

Looks like Island Princess gets it turn today in PE/FLL

10 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Noone disembarks - crew only on board - strictly fuel, provisions, dump garbage, and go back out

"maybe" if a crew member is "sick" they get disembarked - not even sure about that now

Looks like Island Princess gets it turn today in PE/FLL

On Monday both Regal and Sky were in PE.

You are all aware that there are many of your neighbors, working in medical centers / hospitals, grocery stores, Costco, office buildings, pharmacies, uber drivers, passengers on public transportation, airport personnel, Amazon employees, mail carriers, restaurants, etc that are positive and are all around us for these essential services right now ... aren't you?  If they are symptomatic and then test positive, they are also told to just go home and self isolate without any monitoring to make sure they are adhering to these restrictions.  

Why would anybody even think to deny these people a place to disembark?  Nobody wants more of this disease in their backyard, so I get it ... but, what now?  Just leave them out there?  BTW, the only ones that I think screwed up are any passengers that boarded knowing they were feeling ill.  Otherwise, I don't think it is helpful to place blame.  

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

You are all aware that there are many of your neighbors, working in medical centers / hospitals, grocery stores, Costco, office buildings, pharmacies, uber drivers, passengers on public transportation, airport personnel, Amazon employees, mail carriers, restaurants, etc that are positive and are all around us for these essential services right now ... aren't you?  If they are symptomatic and then test positive, they are also told to just go home and self isolate without any monitoring to make sure they are adhering to these restrictions.  

Why would anybody even think to deny these people a place to disembark?  Nobody wants more of this disease in their backyard, so I get it ... but, what now?  Just leave them out there?  BTW, the only ones that I think screwed up are any passengers that boarded knowing they were feeling ill.  Otherwise, I don't think it is helpful to place blame.  

Well said/.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

These people knew the risk they were taking when they boarded. Not to sound unsympathetic, but it's better to let them remain on the ship to receive treatment at this point for everyone's sake.

21 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Not placing any blame, but as you say, those who may test positive will be sent home without, as you state, any monitoring to make sure they are adhering to the restrictions. Passengers being onboard a ship affords the governor the ability to keep them there so they don't intermingle with the general population on land. I understand that Gov DeSantis is considering the possibility of allowing Floridians to disembark safely. I guess we'll see what happens. Personally, I am getting rather sick and tired of people playing the blame game. (and I'm not referring to you or anyone in particular) People in authority are doing the best they can to cope with this deadly and unprecedented virus, and too many in our culture seem to be criticizing their every move. I suppose the critics could do a much better job than those they criticize, but oddly they never say how.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

I suppose the critics could do a much better job than those they criticize, but oddly they never say how.

Just once I'd love to hear the Monday morning quarterbacks offer a solution to the problems other than point out how everyone else has done things so incorrectly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Not placing any blame, but as you say, those who may test positive will be sent home without, as you state, any monitoring to make sure they are adhering to the restrictions. Passengers being onboard a ship affords the governor the ability to keep them there so they don't intermingle with the general population on land. I understand that Gov DeSantis is considering the possibility of allowing Floridians to disembark safely. I guess we'll see what happens. Personally, I am getting rather sick and tired of people playing the blame game. (and I'm not referring to you or anyone in particular) People in authority are doing the best they can to cope with this deadly and unprecedented virus, and too many in our culture seem to be criticizing their every move. I suppose the critics could do a much better job than those they criticize, but oddly they never say how.

I do think people are forming their opinions out of fear over actual knowledge.  There are so many 'keyboard warriors' and too little humanity.  I know people that have tested positive and I would only hope that they wouldn't be shunned because they were out there providing essential services.  Before they were symptomatic, they were also unknowingly exposing others to it.  If one is truly frightened of the virus, stay in your home and adhere to all the strict guidelines as more of the population that you know already is infected.  

11 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

People in authority are doing the best they can to cope with this deadly and unprecedented virus, and too many in our culture seem to be criticizing their every move.

People in authority should be doing the best possible in this situation, but the best possible means basing decisions on scientific and medical information, not on emotion.

Too many important decisions are not being made based on the science of the situation.

Too many promises made that cannot be kept also reduces trust in those in authority.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2020 at 9:53 AM, MissP22 said:

These people knew the risk they were taking when they boarded. Not to sound unsympathetic, but it's better to let them remain on the ship to receive treatment at this point for everyone's sake.

No, they did not know the risks when they boarded.  The timeline for this cruise has been posted numerous times.  At the time they boarded, there were no quarantines.   

Perhaps you might wish to explain just  how the ships were to provide treatment similar to that they can receive on shore?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

No, they did not know the risks when they boarded.  The timeline for this cruise has been posted numerous times.  At the time they boarded, there were no quarantines.   

Perhaps you might wish to explain just  how the ships were to provide treatment similar to that they can receive on shore?

I've since learned that you're correct about when they boarded. I don't follow the latest news on all these ships. 

It seems to be a full time job lately. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 4:51 PM, Cruise Raider said:

There were about 800 passengers on Crown Princess who refused to be tested prior to disembarkation.  They went to the four winds.  Ten percent of those who did get tested were 10 positive.  So 80-odd passengers went home and infected family, friends and people in their towns/cities.  Disgusting behavior.

2 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

There were about 800 passengers on Crown Princess who refused to be tested prior to disembarkation.  They went to the four winds.  Ten percent of those who did get tested were 10 positive.  So 80-odd passengers went home and infected family, friends and people in their towns/cities.  Disgusting behavior.

And only millions upon millions of others out there in the world that have been exposed and possibly infected also that have not been tested and going about their daily lives.  Why stop at only those 80+ passengers.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Seems to me that a test should have been a requirement at that point since many of them must have had some close contact with an infected person at one time or another. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Potstech said:

"So 80-odd passengers went home and infected family, friends and people in their towns/cities."

And you know this how?

The longer this drags on, the more I'm ignoring wild speculation devoid of a factual basis.

Greetings from Burke, VA, just up the road from you in Richmond. 😀

On 4/1/2020 at 1:36 PM, Daniel A said:

On Monday both Regal and Sky were in PE.

Possibly disembarking some of the crew and sending them home - real home. Chris Wong - Vlogs on YouTube about his life working for Royal Caribbean - was just sent home last week after floating around without passengers on Oasis of the Seas (and getting to live somewhat like a guest when finished with the daily deep cleaning work they were doing, dining at the specialty restaurants and enjoying the pools and so forth)  for several days in the Bahamas before coming in to Miami and being put on a flight home to the UK. 

6 hours ago, WmFCoyote said:

Still waiting for Princess to say weather or not they will require a "Fit to Sale" letter and will they cancel any more Alaska cruises.

One of the reasons we cancelled our summer cruise on Princess (Norwegian Fjords) was the same question of whether they would require some sort of doctor's letter. Also Norway had already closed some of the ports, and we wondered of our flights would still be available.

We have a telephone doctor's 'visit" on the 15th with our family doctor (internal medicine).  I am going to ask her for her opinion on whether or not she would sign the letter posted for Royal Caribbean.  I know that Princess isn't requiring one at this time - just wanted her opinion about the wording and signing of such a letter.

7 hours ago, WmFCoyote said:

Still waiting for Princess to say weather or not they will require a "Fit to Sale" letter and will they cancel any more Alaska cruises.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that the 'Fit to Sail' form was only a proposal floated to VP Pence's Corona Virus Working Group.  There is no documentation that the proposal was ever implemented industry wide or even accepted or endorsed by The White House.  (According to USA Today, NCL sent an e-mail out stating they will require a form from the PAX' doctor at boarding.  I see where RCI wants one too for near future sailings during the emergency but nobody's sailing now anyway.  They then stated if a PAX is denied boarding they'll give the PAX a FCC... 🤣)  If you don't hear from Princess that you will need one, then you won't need one.  The only Fit to Sail Form I am aware of that Carnival requires is for PAX who require dialysis.

Again, I welcome any corrections to this post, but , please, if you contest what I say here, please use reliable open source material to back up contrary posts.  Third and fourth hand anecdotes aren't generally considered reliable.

Edited by Daniel A

11 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that the 'Fit to Sail' form was only a proposal floated to VP Pence's Corona Virus Working Group.  There is no documentation that the proposal was ever implemented industry wide or even accepted or endorsed by The White House.  (According to USA Today, NCL sent an e-mail out stating they will require a form from the PAX' doctor at boarding.  They then stated if a PAX is denied boarding they'll give the PAX a FCC... 🤣)  If you don't hear from Princess that you will need one, then you won't need one.  The only Fit to Sail Form I am aware of that Carnival requires is for PAX who require dialysis.

Again, I welcome any corrections to this post, but , please, if you contest what I say here, please use reliable open source material to back up contrary posts.  Third and fourth hand anecdotes aren't generally considered reliable.

Don't think you are wrong as I haven't seen anything come from Princess about requiring a letter.  Since we will be talking with our doctor on the 15th,  I am just asking for her opinion on her signing a letter like this if we sail on a cruise line that might be requiring such a letter.