Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

lahore

Most of the people on this site were very strong supporters of the cruise industry.  How many of us are they now converting from advocates to detractors of their brand due to these return policies.

In many cases we are the same people that they would need to fill their ships, when safe to do so, now not so much.

I might book a last minute cruise, but do not have any intent of giving Princess 10's of thousands months in advance ever again.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

I boarded the ship on Jan 20th.  I was one of those passengers ON A CRUISE, the World Cruise 2020, in the middle of the Indian Ocean when the pause was announced mid-March.  Our captain was given orders to make a U-turn and go back to Fremantle, Australia (which took 8 days, making 18 straight days at sea) where we were put off the ship on March 21st and commercially flown home.

As of May 7, 2020

I am currently owed (approximately to the best of my knowledge)

Travel Expenses = $2,818 (Request submitted March 25th)

Option 2 Cash Refund = $30,773.51 For 70 missed days (Request submitted Apr 10th)

Option 2 FCC Bonus Credit = $30,773.51 (Request submitted Apr 10th)

Folio "Refundable OBC"  Refund = $2,715 (Submitted date unknown, possibly after Apr 20th)

Princess Interaction To Date:

2 on board letters Re: compensation, the second, dated March 19th essentially replaces the first.

1 Automated Email Re: Travel Expense Submission 3/25/20

1 Conversation with Customer Relations Re: Travel Expense Submission about 4/5/20.   Was told 1 item will be denied, but will be forwarded as "approved" less  denied item. (Passenger Services director on board verbally said this will be reimbursable, Santa Clarita HQ personnel told not reimbursable )

1 Automated Email Re: Option 2 Submission 4/10/20

1 Conversation with Customer Relations Re: Any kind of status available?, Answer NO, but they are working in some kind of date order.  Also discussed Folio "Refundable OBC"  Refund check.  Was told Princess will scrutinize to determine what portion is "refundable"   So I now anticipate the amount will not be what was shown in my folio when I disembarked.  Unable to give me a date when the "clock" starts on this.

Princess Website/Captains Circle

To Date:

NO UPDATES, cruise abruptly halted still showing

To add to the fun, my September cruise was cancelled yesterday.  My TA priced moving to 2021 and the fare is about double, so ... No thanks.

Yes, I understand I need to have patience, but I really wonder if I will ever see any of this?

Signed, NOT a very happy Princess camper

You go back to January. So they are not refunding in order of booking. I would file a dispute with credit card company. Many more in line up for refunds as of yesterday. All the best to you. 

Edited by dog

47 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Well our Island cruise for March 17 was cancelled and no refund. Received the FCC. I received an email saying it is taking them a while to do all the refunds. rest assured, we will receive it. That was last week.

My 4 friends were to be on this cruise and got their refunds over a week ago. Go luck. 

On Holland America many people are saying in the last few hours that they are receiving their FCC emails from HAL.  Quite a few people actually.  It's like they flipped a switch.  But so far no REFUNDS.  Thought I'd let you know that when it happens, it happens fast and it might go that way with Princess.  

57 minutes ago, mcrimmins said:

This seems simple to me.....you have $10,000 of my money. You were unable to perform the service I paid for, even though it was through no fault of yours. I want my money back.  You have been either unable or unwilling to comply with my refund request that you solicited. Do you really expect me to ever step foot on another one of your ships?  

Seems Simple to me.

This is cruise critic website. Share with Princess cruises. 

On 5/3/2020 at 5:12 PM, PrincessLuver said:

I will be right behind you......evidently some people do not mind if Princess says one thing and does another.....hope others follow your plan of action too....it cracks me up on how Princess can possibly take millions from it's passenger and it is a yawn to some on CC but if Princess does not honor an old paper coffee card they act like it is a major federal crime on CC!

Just an FYI....today's Princess webinar stated that ALL cruises cancelled during the first pause have had FCCs completed as of April 30th. I know that I DO NOT have mine, neither does my client....so that tells me that something is very wrong with this "system"...

2 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Just an FYI....today's Princess webinar stated that ALL cruises cancelled during the first pause have had FCCs completed as of April 30th. I know that I DO NOT have mine, neither does my client....so that tells me that something is very wrong with this "system"...

I do not have any FCC either..in fact my page that used to show a balance of $0.00 now I can't even 'open'.

We received our refund for February cruise in March through TA although now waiting for TA to pass on money told 6-12 weeks from TA even though Princess refunded money,   FCC was put on within couple of weeks back in March, now waiting for refunds for May and June cruises.  

57 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

I boarded the ship on Jan 20th.  I was one of those passengers ON A CRUISE, the World Cruise 2020, in the middle of the Indian Ocean when the pause was announced mid-March.  Our captain was given orders to make a U-turn and go back to Fremantle, Australia (which took 8 days, making 18 straight days at sea) where we were put off the ship on March 21st and commercially flown home.

As of May 7, 2020

I am currently owed (approximately to the best of my knowledge)

Travel Expenses = $2,818 (Request submitted March 25th)

Option 2 Cash Refund = $30,773.51 For 70 missed days (Request submitted Apr 10th)

Option 2 FCC Bonus Credit = $30,773.51 (Request submitted Apr 10th)

Folio "Refundable OBC"  Refund = $2,715 (Submitted date unknown, possibly after Apr 20th)

Princess Interaction To Date:

2 on board letters Re: compensation, the second, dated March 19th essentially replaces the first.

1 Automated Email Re: Travel Expense Submission 3/25/20

1 Conversation with Customer Relations Re: Travel Expense Submission about 4/5/20.   Was told 1 item will be denied, but will be forwarded as "approved" less  denied item. (Passenger Services director on board verbally said this will be reimbursable, Santa Clarita HQ personnel told not reimbursable )

1 Automated Email Re: Option 2 Submission 4/10/20

1 Conversation with Customer Relations Re: Any kind of status available?, Answer NO, but they are working in some kind of date order.  Also discussed Folio "Refundable OBC"  Refund check.  Was told Princess will scrutinize to determine what portion is "refundable"   So I now anticipate the amount will not be what was shown in my folio when I disembarked.  Unable to give me a date when the "clock" starts on this.

Princess Website/Captains Circle

To Date:

NO UPDATES, cruise abruptly halted still showing

To add to the fun, my September cruise was cancelled yesterday.  My TA priced moving to 2021 and the fare is about double, so ... No thanks.

Yes, I understand I need to have patience, but I really wonder if I will ever see any of this?

Signed, NOT a very happy Princess camper

Holly, why are you requesting FCC AND a refund? How does that work?

We’re still waiting on our Option #1, correction and credits..

9 minutes ago, suzyed said:

Option 2 was full refund plus a goodwill FCC amount

1 hour ago, npcl said:

Most of the people on this site were very strong supporters of the cruise industry.  How many of us are they now converting from advocates to detractors of their brand due to these return policies.

In many cases we are the same people that they would need to fill their ships, when safe to do so, now not so much.

I might book a last minute cruise, but do not have any intent of giving Princess 10's of thousands months in advance ever again.

I suppose with 28 Princess cruises I would  be considered a strong supporter, but I’m far from turning to a detractor due to these  return policies. I don’t know anything about business but I think it would be hard to immediately refund on the scale that has now been requested. Of course, I am in a position that if I have enough to book a cruise I feel i can wait to get it back. Others aren’t so lucky. I’m not going to give Princess any more money, but as my cruises get cancelled I’ll apply the FCCs to the next available cruise until I actually go on one.

36 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Nope! Not true!  We have not got ours. Just spent almost 2 hours talking to 3 different people and NOT ONE could view my account and that I had applied for the FCC! NOT ONE!

12 minutes ago, billco said:

I suppose with 28 Princess cruises I would  be considered a strong supporter, but I’m far from turning to a detractor due to these  return policies. I don’t know anything about business but I think it would be hard to immediately refund on the scale that has now been requested. Of course, I am in a position that if I have enough to book a cruise I feel i can wait to get it back. Others aren’t so lucky. I’m not going to give Princess any more money, but as my cruises get cancelled I’ll apply the FCCs to the next available cruise until I actually go on one.

I share the same feelings. I will definitely sail Princess again, simply because I love their product. However, I will no longer book early and pay over time. I will wait until last minute and be sure the cruise will sail. I have had 2 cruises cancelled by Princess, and 1 by Carnival - all of which were paid in full. My NCL and RCI cancellations were only deposits so not as concerned. I do have a full suite booked for March with Princess and I pay off $300 a month so have already given them a substantial amout toward the booking - I'm going to stop doing that and hopefully apply my FCCs (if I ever get them) instead....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, suzyed said:

Nope! Not true!  We have not got ours. Just spent almost 2 hours talking to 3 different people and NOT ONE could view my account and that I had applied for the FCC! NOT ONE!

I hear you - I finally got a GREAT rep last week that was on the phone with me and customer relations for over an hour. My March 14th booking hadn't even been tagged for processing. Hopefully it is sorted now, but I was told the timeline starts from then since that was when it was "processed" (not the date it cancelled/sailed/option request received). UGH. Prior to this, not one person could give me an answer...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, suzyed said:

Susan, Exactly what Ceilidh1 said just below you.  We had choices stated in the letter we received March 19th.  We also had a choice of all FCC with an additional 25% bonus which I did NOT choose.  The cruise was expensive so it is a lot of money.

16 minutes ago, suzyed said:

Either intent or incompetence (or intent hiding behind incompetence) take your pick.

A competent organization, intending to process refunds as fast as it could, no matter what the work load, would not appear like this to its customers.

Edited by npcl
  • Like 4

Hi fellow refund-waiters,

I put in a dispute with my CC company about three weeks ago. The day after I made the request, a provisional refund was put in the account. On Monday, I called to get a status update and found out that the dispute was approved and the money was mine. Now I am short about $500 and still working on that, but disputing the charges and providing a bit of evidence does work. 

A second thing... I have been in IT for 28 years, most of it in risk and controls and Business Continuity. I work to make sure our business can function in case of a disaster. We make sure we have manual work-arounds and an effective communication program. In this case, if Princess is truly having this many problems this far into the disaster, it makes me doubt their preparedness for other disasters that they may face in the future. 

just one man’s opinion

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

FYI - I just got off the phone with Danielle from Customer Relations and she stated that the FCC's were completed for the first pause of sailings that PRINCESS CANCELLED.  She said now the REFUNDS need to be processed for those sailings and THEN they will go back to March 12 and begin the FCC/refunds for customers that cancelled their cruise before Princess did.  She also told me that she does not have a time frame for how long that will take.  I cancelled on March 11, one day before Princess cancelled my March 21 sailing!  I guess those with sailings after May 12 will probably see their refunds next year IMO! 

Good luck to us all...

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Worldpeek said:

FYI - I just got off the phone with Danielle from Customer Relations and she stated that the FCC's were completed for the first pause of sailings that PRINCESS CANCELLED.  She said now the REFUNDS need to be processed for those sailings and THEN they will go back to March 12 and begin the FCC/refunds for customers that cancelled their cruise before Princess did.  She also told me that she does not have a time frame for how long that will take.  I cancelled on March 11, one day before Princess cancelled my March 21 sailing!  I guess those with sailings after May 12 will probably see their refunds next year IMO! 

Good luck to us all...

Well

THAT is not right 

I do not have my FCC

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Worldpeek said:

Good luck to us all...

That ties in with what I was told last week. I cancelled my March 14th cruise on March 10th, two days before Princess. I've seen nothing in way of FCCs or refund and no one was able to even give me an answer. Last week, I finally got a rep who was able to work through it and told me 60 days from that point....

11 minutes ago, remydiva said:

Well

THAT is not right 

I do not have my FCC

Nor is Danielle right about my situation. I cancelled March 6 th for a cruise March 7 th. Got my refund to credit card and my FCC by the end of March. 

Does Princess not realize they had passengers on board ships before mid-March that they put off in foreign ports when the pause happened.  What about us?  They owe me quite a lot and I am not a lending institution.  We seem to be put aside in favor of scheduled cruises that did not happen.  So are we at the end of the line after they cancel all cruises for the next year?  It will be interesting to see if we get anywhere with this huge new wave of cancellation upon them. 

Feeling forgotten.  (I know I am not alone)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

It’s pathetic that those cowardly incompetent “executives” are obviously asking their lowly paid CSRs to systematically lie to their customers.

Such a shame.

1 hour ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

For those of you folks who have yet to dispute your charges, your options are very simple:

1) You can continue to exercise "patience" and "trust" in an organization that has gone out of it's way to repeatedly lie to you, changed their policy mulitple times, gave varying and outright contradictory information depending on the day you called or whether you spoke with "Danielle" or "Rachel".  God help those that might have spoken with "Bob" or "Susie" cause they've just got transferred from accounting last week (because all of their accountants have too much time on their hands doing nothing).

OR

2) You can join the group that PT Barnum wasn't talking about and CALL YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANIES and HELP YOURSELVES!!!

I asked my credit card company about this back in the beginning - I wasn't planing on disputing but just wanted to know my options. At that time, they told me the time limit to file was 60 days. I assumed that meant 60 days from the transaction, so was already past that point. Now others are saying it may be from sailing date - I plan on calling back tomorrow to clarify as the 60 days from sailing date for me is on May 13th.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, suzyed said:

We are like you...…

We have been waiting since mid-March to get our chosen Option 1 Future Cruise Credits (instead of refunds) promised by Princess for our mid-voyage cancellation. It has now been almost 60 days since we got kicked off the Crown, and about 65 days or so since we were told that our voyage had been shorted. In addition to the FCCs owed relating to our cruise fare, they owe us $750 of unused On Board Credit and $500 for a balcony upgrade that we paid for while on board for the final 10 days of the cruise which we never got to use. We bought that balcony upgrade as an "insurance policy" in case the ship was put in quarantine.

Any suggestion that March Option 1 clients have been taken care of is clearly false.....