Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

lahore

I just don't understand how you can send all these reps back home to work out these issues on their own and "manually" figure our who gets what. They are not trained or equipted to handle an unpresedented event such as this. When we call them and ask a question that they don't know the answer to, who can they turn to for an answer?  They have to put us on hold and then try to get "someone who knows how to handle your issue".  This scenerio is not fair to the reps and not fair to us as customers and stockholders. 
Why couldn't Princess come up with a computer "fix" or algorithm to deal with the FCC and refund issues?  I believe they are stalling until they figure out where all funds/money is coming from to reimburse us.  So then why can't they issue the FCCs first....it costs them nothing at this point to do so (we are going on 60 days since our Option #1 request)? Maybe by that point they will get funds to help bail them out and start issuing refunds.  Right now they have every one PO'd.

6 hours ago, WNcruiser said:

Absolutely incorrect. I disputed my cruise fare, got my money back (Approved by Princess) and have my FCC. 

You are only losing time and money by not filing a dispute. 

That must be nice....we don't have our FCCs.

4 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

thousands of crew members lingering on the water not taken home, 

I have to speak up about this point...I have a number of friends who are crew members and still at sea right now. All of them say that Princess has treated them excellently - put them in their own balcony cabins, they eat in the dining room, have entertainment, bars are open, etc. Princess is trying very hard to get them home - they are still stuck on ships because no ports are letting them disembark. A good friend is on Emerald right now trying to get home to Canada. Princess had a charter flight set to take them from Nassau and a bus waiting at the dock to take them from the ship to the plane. No one on the ship is sick. They have been at seas for months. They were denied docking and not allowed to disembark by Bahamian authorities. Media would have you believe that the cruiselines are keeping them on the ships as they don't want to pay to get them home. This could not be further from the truth - it's costing far more to keep them at sea than to get them home. A ship can not dock without permission from port authorities and local government.

Your other points were definitely spot on!

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Fair enough.  I had heard and read many reports to the effect of what you were describing in the media and perhaps am overstating things as I can't know what they feel.  Still, I gotta believe, a good portion just want to get home as soon as possible in any way they can.  But it is a more difficult logistical issue then just corporate press releases and accounting matters that's for sure.

For sure - they ALL want to get home. Some have been on almost a year as they were nearing the end of contracts when this hit. I really feel for them and their families. 

38 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I have to speak up about this point...I have a number of friends who are crew members and still at sea right now. All of them say that Princess has treated them excellently - put them in their own balcony cabins, they eat in the dining room, have entertainment, bars are open, etc. Princess is trying very hard to get them home - they are still stuck on ships because no ports are letting them disembark. A good friend is on Emerald right now trying to get home to Canada. Princess had a charter flight set to take them from Nassau and a bus waiting at the dock to take them from the ship to the plane. No one on the ship is sick. They have been at seas for months. They were denied docking and not allowed to disembark by Bahamian authorities. Media would have you believe that the cruiselines are keeping them on the ships as they don't want to pay to get them home. This could not be further from the truth - it's costing far more to keep them at sea than to get them home. A ship can not dock without permission from port authorities and local government.

Your other points were definitely spot on!

3 ships coming into Oakland California USA and will be berthed here until they sail again. I know 1 is NCL but don't know what the other 2 are. Hopefully they can fly out from Oakland Airport 

• Like 1

So sad to hear about crew stuck on the ships.   They deserve to be home during this difficult time and I hope that happens soon for all of them.

We are among the many who selected option 2 at March 12 pause (for a cruise on April 12).  We filed a dispute with Visa today.   Had to wait 1 hour to get through (the dispute centre is very busy these days) but then it was very easy to do and was completed all over the phone.   We had hoped that we would not need to go this route but we are too close to the 60 day mark so felt we had to take action.  It’s a great relief knowing we have now greatly improved the odds of getting our money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carnevale said:

So sad to hear about crew stuck on the ships.   They deserve to be home during this difficult time and I hope that happens soon for all of them.

We are among the many who selected option 2 at March 12 pause (for a cruise on April 12).  We filed a dispute with Visa today.   Had to wait 1 hour to get through (the dispute centre is very busy these days) but then it was very easy to do and was completed all over the phone.   We had hoped that we would not need to go this route but we are too close to the 60 day mark so felt we had to take action.  It’s a great relief knowing we have now greatly improved the odds of getting our money.

All the best to you. Let us know when all settled. 

12 hours ago, nho9504 said:

He did NOT get the refund from Princess as he initially worded -  he later posted the answer on someone's question about "technically it is the result from a credit card dispute".

I cannot believe the initial post would be so misleading when everyone is trying to figure out if there are ANY cash refund is processed for the massive suspension started on Mar 12.   His post sounded like it was...  especially he thanked  Princess...

On top of that, I dont know what is the purpose of the long post about being nice to the call center workers so to get a good result.  The principles are sound as I myself practice that all the time, even incl chitchat with the Philippines based reps of their home town(s) - BUT the problem is, his refund WAS NOT ISSUED by Princess in the ordinary way of process refund, but a DIRECT RESULT OF A CREDIT CARD DISPUTE.

While I appreciate another positive data point on CC dispute results I am quite disappointed by the initial misleading data point.

I am in a unique situation that I could not filed a CC dispute with reasons long posted ago.  Had I paid the cruise with my CC, I would have filed right after 30 days passed as that was the time frame given by Princess on the first suspension.   Princess is very stupid in handling this situation - they could do a better job in communication, as to sending out periodic emails on the progress, letting their CSRs know where your refunds stand as in the long queue,  anything that is slightly more transparent then all the mumble jumble "thank you for being Elites" blah blah blah.

Being a business person with financial and accounting background, I fully understand where Princess is coming from, and understand their need to preserve cash - but their PR is a disaster in this crisis time - they are essentially ALIENATE their most loyal customers in handling this crisis.  I feel truly bad for those of you having Tens of Thousands of $ tied up, essentially an interest free loan bankrolling CCL / Princess...  None of the airlines which have flights touch US soil could refuse refund because DOT (Department of Transportation)  has issued reinforcement notice when airlines tried to pull a no refund, only voucher stint, even though their vouchers are issued rather timely, unlike Princess on the FCC... 

For those of you who have airlines canceled on you, if your flights touch US soil, call your airlines to ask for 100% refund, even if you have been issued voucher - unless you want the voucher - mentioned DOT's ruling - this works 100% of time to get your money back.

May be we need a government regulation body on cruise lines that operate their ships in US water, so the passengers rights are protected.

Since you claim to be a person with a business , financial, and accounting background why did you not pay for your cruise with a credit card.

You especially with your background should be aware of the credit card fine print that provides consumers with protections that are not available with those that pay using a debit card, check, cash, bitcoin, paypal, etc

4 minutes ago, hm9912 said:

Since you claim to be a person with a business , financial, and accounting background why did you not pay for your cruise with a credit card.

You especially with your background should be aware of the credit card fine print that provides consumers with protections that are not available with those that pay using a debit card, check, cash, bitcoin, paypal, etc

Yes, I agree. 
all the best to those still waiting for FCC & cash ( credit card) refunds. 
March 12 to May 12 th—- almost 2 months now. 

11 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

hm9912, why did you feel the need to "thank" Princess in your first post declaring a "refund"? 

I don't at all see what there is to thank them for. 

I thanked Princess because when we first contacted Princess shortly after our April 4th cruise on the Sky Princess was cancelled, the rep that took our call asked for our booking numbers and was extremely pleasant, helpful, and working from home.

I'm sorry that my thanking Princess caused so much confusion which indicated to me that many do not understand how the system works?

I tried to make it clear in my original post yesterday morning shortly after seeing the money refunded in my Princess Visa account on how to get the ball rolling for those that are just sitting at home thinking that the money that they paid for a cancelled cruise is just magically going to be refunded to them by Princess.

Maybe it will eventually but most credit card terms of use give one a 60 day window to initiate a dispute.

Sorry if my post was not clear.

I always thank all call center reps no matter what company I'm calling as I am well aware of the stress and low pay conditions that they work under. Every call is monitored, timed, and every keystroke is closely monitored. They need permission just to go to the bathroom.

It is a tough job and they should be appreciated for the job that they do.

For those that are angry their anger should be directed at our inept federal government that bears much of the responsibility for the mess our entire country is currently in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, remydiva said:

Devils advocate here .. 60 calendar days or 60 business days? Most billing caveats use the phrase ‘5 to 7 business days’. Princess did not.

If business days , then add another 3 weeks or so to ‘60 day mark’ ( Plus stat holidays like Easter and May long weekend)

Do they count cruises by "business days"? 

• Haha 1

Princess has lost my respect!  Princess is holding our money and they have made so many BS statements about returning our refunds.  Princess just can no longer be trusted to do the right thing.   Nothing will change until Princess starts living up to their word again.  Princess needs to return all money collected from cancelled cruises, this is ridiculous.   The only thing we want from Princess at this point, is a return of our money.  Good luck everyone!

• Like 3

Do you think anyone at Princess is monitoring the forums these days?  Surely they must be getting nervous to see all the folks - many Princess loyalists - who are appalled at the way this refund process is going, or should I say not going.

It makes no sense to me that they are dragging their feet and not providing ANY refunds to speak of.  They are in danger of losing their most valuable customers.

The only thing I can think of is that they do not care because they do not intend to resume sailing.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LDVinNC said:

It makes no sense to me that they are dragging their feet and not providing ANY refunds to speak of.  They are in danger of losing their most valuable customers.

The only thing I can think of is that they do not care because they do not intend to resume sailing.

Makes me wonder what Tony Kaufman knows, how he sleeps at night, and just how stupid he and Jan think we all are as they keep kicking the can down the road.  Perhaps they are the stupid ones.

15 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

With all due respect, you didn't make anything clear in that first post nor was their any semblance of a "how to" message in your first post declaring your "refund".  You didn't mention anything about a CC dispute nor even make any suggestion whatsoever. 

Totally agree.  Witness my reply at the time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LDVinNC said:

Do you think anyone at Princess is monitoring the forums these days?  Surely they must be getting nervous to see all the folks - many Princess loyalists - who are appalled at the way this refund process is going, or should I say not going.

There are only 65  following this thread   - not enough to fill a lifeboat.

I bet Princess are really worried 

I wish CC would bring back the who posted facility and the number of posts.

Edited by Aulanis

1 minute ago, Aulanis said:

There are only 55  following this thread   - not enough to fill a lifeboat.

I bet Princess are really worried 

I wish CC would bring back the who posted facility and the number of posts.

Have you ever heard the old saying that satisfied customers tell maybe 3 people and dissatisfied customers tell 10?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, hm9912 said:

I thanked Princess because when we first contacted Princess shortly after our April 4th cruise on the Sky Princess was cancelled, the rep that took our call asked for our booking numbers and was extremely pleasant, helpful, and working from home.

I'm sorry that my thanking Princess caused so much confusion which indicated to me that many do not understand how the system works?

I tried to make it clear in my original post yesterday morning shortly after seeing the money refunded in my Princess Visa account on how to get the ball rolling for those that are just sitting at home thinking that the money that they paid for a cancelled cruise is just magically going to be refunded to them by Princess.

Maybe it will eventually but most credit card terms of use give one a 60 day window to initiate a dispute.

Sorry if my post was not clear.

I always thank all call center reps no matter what company I'm calling as I am well aware of the stress and low pay conditions that they work under. Every call is monitored, timed, and every keystroke is closely monitored. They need permission just to go to the bathroom.

It is a tough job and they should be appreciated for the job that they do.

For those that are angry their anger should be directed at our inept federal government that bears much of the responsibility for the mess our entire country is currently in.

You're blaming the federal government for Princess not doing what they promised they would do?  LOL!

• Like 3

I had two cruises that were cancelled by the cruise lines.

First was Carnival due to sail April 6th - I went on line and used their form to cancel with full cash refund when I received the email from Carnival.  Then received email from Travel Agent and put through a cancellation through them.  After 30 days, I went to my credit card company and filed a dispute and I now have a credit sitting on my account.

Second was a Princess cruise, due to sail May 16th, booked directly with Princess.  I went on line and filed a form to cancel for full cash refund - later got a request sent to my husband and filed out another request.  Three days ago I filed a dispute with my credit card company (used different credit card then with the Carnival) and that credit just came through this morning.

I feel better, because I don't have to make a payment to the credit card companies for at least two months, while they figure things out.  If Carnival and Princess due issue the credit, then i will remove the dispute.

I feel like most - they have had my full payment since January and February, so I have waited long enough

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cherylandtk said:

Makes me wonder what Tony Kaufman knows, how he sleeps at night, and just how stupid he and Jan think we all are as they keep kicking the can down the road.  Perhaps they are the stupid ones.

I'm starting to think WE are the stupid ones for believing what Princess has told us.  As soon (within 24 hours) as Ms. Swartz heard that they would  get a "bail out" of sorts, she paused all the sailings, and declared that the cruises would go to their "natural end".  The only problem was that we were on the Coral doing 32 days and she "paused" it after the first 14 days with no plan whatsoever of getting us home after the first part of the cruise.  I don't even think she knew that our cruise had another 18 days to go!   
Then she posts a video that we were encouraged to watch by our Captain and she almost tearfully asks us to take Option #1 to help Princess.   So being good Princess passengers, that's what we did....on March 15th.   So to thank us for our loyalty, all we have gotten is the run-a-round, lies and misinformation.  And by the way, not a dime back, not a single FCC, incorrect charges on our folio (that was only sent to us a week ago).  Now we have to try to reverse the incorrect charges to our Princess Cruises Visa card because the bogus charges were almost immediately added to our credit card.
Yeah...who are the stupid ones here? 😞

• Like 1

Received this email from Princess on 5/1/2020

We know you’re waiting for your refund and may be frustrated by how long it’s taking. We hear you and are doing everything in our power to get it to you as soon as possible. Rest assured we’ve received your request, and it’s in our queue.

We ask for your continued patience in affording us the time to work through the refunds properly. Because we are not able to use our usual automated process, our team is manually handling a large volume of requests while working from home. We want to try to make sure each and every guest's booking is handled accurately, and as efficiently as possible and this is taking more time.

As always, we thank you for your understanding and hope you and your loved ones are staying healthy and safe during this difficult time.

10 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

We know you’re waiting for your refund and may be frustrated by how long it’s taking. We hear you and are doing everything in our power to get it to you as soon as possible. Rest assured we’ve received your request, and it’s in our queue.

We ask for your continued patience in affording us the time to work through the refunds properly. Because we are not able to use our usual automated process, our team is manually handling a large volume of requests while working from home. We want to try to make sure each and every guest's booking is handled accurately, and as efficiently as possible and this is taking more time.

As always, we thank you for your understanding and hope you and your loved ones are staying healthy and safe during this difficult time.

Many reported having received that email days ago.  Didn't believe it then, and don't believe it now.  Just platitudes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

We never even got that email.