Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

lahore

I was going to wait for Princess to issue the refund. But saying that refunds will be issued in order of cruise date, and ours was end of April, and NO ONE has received their refund, I went ahead and disputed the CC charges. If there was some progress indicated on these threads about seeing refunds coming through at least for the last half of March, I would have waited. But from what I have read the only refunds have been for specific cruises cancelled just before they announced the pause, they apparently haven't even started on the rest of the refunds which has caused a lot of mistrust.

I called into Chase with a dispute two weeks ago, and have not heard anything back.  Today, I called to check on it, and was told that a provisional credit had not been posted to my account because they had not heard back from Princess.  This leads me to wonder if Chase is going to stop giving people provisional credits because they are ending up getting stuck with the charge.  The Chase representative suggested that I check with the disputes department, which is open Monday through Friday, so I will call back tomorrow to get some clarity.  Has anyone else had this type of communication with their credit card company?  Thanks!

24 minutes ago, Mackenzie1 said:

I called into Chase with a dispute two weeks ago, and have not heard anything back.  Today, I called to check on it, and was told that a provisional credit had not been posted to my account because they had not heard back from Princess.  This leads me to wonder if Chase is going to stop giving people provisional credits because they are ending up getting stuck with the charge.  The Chase representative suggested that I check with the disputes department, which is open Monday through Friday, so I will call back tomorrow to get some clarity.  Has anyone else had this type of communication with their credit card company?  Thanks!

I got provisional credits right away from Citi and Capital One.  Bank of America is requesting more information and has given me a deadline for responding or else they will close out the dispute.

Chase may want more information, so definitely call the dispute department asap.

I just made one last attempt at contacting Princess to get some info, via Live Chat on their website. No new info. My refund and FCCs are in process but there is no date as to when they would be released (whatever that means). The rep claimed to not know which department/person would know that information or be responsible for that decision. She suggested I call and ask to speak with a supervisor. I won't be doing that. She did say that my sailing date had "priority" as it was among the first cancelled and they were going by sailing date. So, if this is priority, those of you with April/May sailings may have a really long wait ahead! I let her know (and asked her to note on my booking) that May 20th will be 60 business days since cancellation and, given that I was initially told 7-10 days, I feel I have been patient enough. May 20th will be the date I start the chargeback. I am sad it has come to this as I have always supported Princess but this is way beyond unreasonable.

48 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

May 20th will be the date I start the chargeback. I am sad it has come to this as I have always supported Princess but this is way beyond unreasonable.

I'm curious, why wait until the 20th?  Seriously curious.  You know that you can cancel a chargeback if you get your refund from Princess?  All you are doing is giving them more and more time to pay your refund.  You may run out of time.  

4 minutes ago, dweeb said:

I'm curious, why wait until the 20th?  Seriously curious.  You know that you can cancel a chargeback if you get your refund from Princess?  All you are doing is giving them more and more time to pay your refund.  You may run out of time.  

I have already spoken to my bank and am within the timeframe. I am giving Princess the benefit of the doubt and the opportunity to do the right thing (naïve, I know..). May 20th is exactly 60 business days so there should be no argument from them that I haven't been patient. Part of me REALLY wants them to come through - I love cruising with Princess and don't want this to taint my opinion of them. Sadly, they are not helping their situation...

• Like 1

Thanks for the honest reply.  I love cruising with Princess also, however they have not been forthcoming with anything more than "we are working hard at it"  I really hope that they survive, but I really have my doubts from their actions.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dearinger said:

Those of you who have not received refunds after 60 days, will this prevent you from cruising with Princess in the future? If yes, are you put off of cruising completely or are you switching to another line?

Good question - I don't cruise exclusively with Princess, but they are my preferred line. I have 2 cruises booked with them currently - one in March 2021 and one in April 2022. Both are in full suites and already have substantial money paid on them (I like to pay monthly as opposed to having a big final payment). I am reconsidering both of them, but mainly the 2021 as I'm actually not sure if that will even sail. Given the time I have had to wait on my March sailing from this year being taken care of, I'm not sure I want the money I have paid for 2021 tied up. Not to mention if they DO go bankrupt (which I don't think they will right now, but cruising in general may not make it out of this...). 

If Princess survives, I likely would cruise with them again BUT I will not continue to pre-pay or purchase things ahead of time. My cancelled sailing was obviously past final payment and I chose option 1 so not expecting a refund of cruise fare. However, I should have received back shore excursions, pre-paid gratuities, port fees, and part of the EZ air. For future cruising (at least for the next year or so) I will book last minute for cruises that I know will sail...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, dearinger said:

Those of you who have not received refunds after 60 days, will this prevent you from cruising with Princess in the future? If yes, are you put off of cruising completely or are you switching to another line?

Our 42 day B2B Hawaii, South Pacific, and Panama Canal trip was to be our last long (and longest ever by a long shot) cruise.  Also by far our most expensive, since we splurged on a suite.  Think enough money to buy a decent car.  I would never put that much money at risk with a cruise line again.  I have been very nervous about this, and finally filed a dispute this week.

I think, also due to age and medical conditions, that we will not cruise outside the country again.  Of course, this means only river cruises in the future.  We have sailed on the American Queen several times and love it, so that is not a huge hardship.

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

contacting Princess to get some info, via Live Chat on their website

Hi - Is that only for agents - cant find anything on PCUK  but that doesnt surprise me

we dont have a toll free number either.

It does say they will answer emails in 3 days but the person on my case has this

Please note that the Guest Relations Team are working through significant volumes, whilst also working remotely from the office.  This means my colleagues and I are not set up to make or receive telephone calls. Please therefore ensure that all correspondence is via email and in the event that you receive my out of office please forward your email to PCUK.GuestRelations@princesscruises.co.uk.  We are working hard to respond to all correspondence as quickly as possible and in line with the ABTA revised guidelines of 56 days.

So you CANT phone and they have 56 days to respond to an email  Hmmm!

9 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

Hi - Is that only for agents - cant find anything on PCUK  but that doesnt surprise me

we dont have a toll free number either.

It does say they will answer emails in 3 days but the person on my case has this

Please note that the Guest Relations Team are working through significant volumes, whilst also working remotely from the office.  This means my colleagues and I are not set up to make or receive telephone calls. Please therefore ensure that all correspondence is via email and in the event that you receive my out of office please forward your email to PCUK.GuestRelations@princesscruises.co.uk.  We are working hard to respond to all correspondence as quickly as possible and in line with the ABTA revised guidelines of 56 days.

So you CANT phone and they have 56 days to respond to an email  Hmmm!

The Live Chat is on the Princess.com site - not sure if the UK version has it, but I would assume so? It's not there all the time - no idea of the official days/hours it is available. If you go on the site as if you are booking a cruise, down at the bottom of the page there is a tab that says Site Feedback. If Live chat is available, there will be a green tab next to the Feedback tab that says Live Chat. I check periodically - today it was there. Some days, it's not.

1 minute ago, ceilidh1 said:

If Live chat is available, there will be a green tab next to the Feedback tab that says Live Chat. I check periodically - today it was there. Some days, it's not.

Thanks I will check tomorrow  - its 10pm here now. 

• We were to sail on the Sky Princess  3/21/20
  • We submitted our refund request for Option 2 on 3/17/20
  • FCC and FCD posted 4/21/20
  • Our cruise was paid via 2 separate credit cards and 1 gift card and 1 promotional gift card.  We received a credit to one of our credit cards (AMEX) for the total amount charged to it on 5/16/20.  Our gift card was reloaded with the amount used.  The promotional gift card which originally expired 1/31/20 was not refunded as expected. 

Just waiting for the other credit card to be credited.

We did not contact Princess or either of our credit card companies during this timeframe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dearinger said:

We have done about 70 cruises all over the world, are currently owed full-fare refunds from Princess (plus hotel and EZair), NCL and Cunard, plus FCD refunds from Princess and HAL, haven't seen a penny. Will probably start seeking Chase charge-backs tomorrow, as our first-due Princess refund is beyond 60 days.  We're pretty much put off by NCL and CCL handling of refunds, the virus, crew, and PR BS. We have serious doubts about the cruise lines' survival, and doubt that cruising will be anywhere near as attractive for us as pre-Covid-19. We also don't trust the lines to enforce any new protocols. But in a couple of years...., maybe RCI?

Edited by latserrof

4 hours ago, Mackenzie1 said:

Talk with disputes directly.  The first line customer services really do not know anything about disputes.

The normal process if you opened one by talking with customer service is by passing you to disputes  (last week it was about a 40 minute wait). They will start the case and send you a form. Once the form is sent you have 2 weeks to complete the form and send it back along with any documentation that you have.  Then they will review the form and documentation and at that time send you a letter, post the credit in your account (pending completion of process), and notify Princess of the dispute.

If you have not filled out the form and signed it, you do not have a dispute officially opened.  It requires a signed document.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I just made one last attempt at contacting Princess to get some info, via Live Chat on their website. No new info. My refund and FCCs are in process but there is no date as to when they would be released (whatever that means). The rep claimed to not know which department/person would know that information or be responsible for that decision. She suggested I call and ask to speak with a supervisor. I won't be doing that. She did say that my sailing date had "priority" as it was among the first cancelled and they were going by sailing date. So, if this is priority, those of you with April/May sailings may have a really long wait ahead! I let her know (and asked her to note on my booking) that May 20th will be 60 business days since cancellation and, given that I was initially told 7-10 days, I feel I have been patient enough. May 20th will be the date I start the chargeback. I am sad it has come to this as I have always supported Princess but this is way beyond unreasonable.

note the released.  Normally that would mean that they have been processed and approved, but put into holding until being released for payment.  I suspect most of our refunds are in that status.

3 minutes ago, npcl said:

note the released.  Normally that would mean that they have been processed and approved, but put into holding until being released for payment.  I suspect most of our refunds are in that status.

I thought as much, but was unable to get an answer as to who releases them and when. I was also told on April 29th that my refunds had been processed and told 60 days from THAT point.....If they were already processed on April 29th, I see no reason they have not been released by May 17th?

On 5/15/2020 at 5:17 PM, cherylandtk said:

Use March 16, the day you originally requested the refund as your response date. Use Princess’ cancel date (March 12?) as the date the refund clock started. Tell your credit card company Princess cancelled, you accepted their refund offer and it has now been two months without any refund from Princess and you want to dispute the original payments that Princess failed to provide their services for.

Thank you for the advice. I called my bank on Saturday and told them what you stated. They are filing a claim on all three charges. They said I should have a provisional credit this Monday. 

• Like 2

If they are doing them in cruise sail date order, then my 4/11 cruise was a little over one month from when cruises stopped

( around March 7th )so my refund should have been processed by now. That month of cruises should have been completed already. At this rate, I really feel for the May & June cruisers waiting for their refund. It's gonna be a while.

I think I'm going to be contacting the bank this coming week. 

3 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

If they are doing them in cruise sail date order, then my 4/11 cruise was a little over one month from when cruises stopped

( around March 7th )so my refund should have been processed by now. That month of cruises should have been completed already. At this rate, I really feel for the May & June cruisers waiting for their refund. It's gonna be a while.

I think I'm going to be contacting the bank this coming week. 

My sail date was March 14th and received nothing - no refund/no FCC

4 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

My sail date was March 14th and received nothing - no refund/no FCC

Well, that's actually really alarming. Yours would have been one of the first ones to get processed. What the heck are they doing? If they are processing refunds, you would have received yours by now.

Edited by tonit964
changed wording

3 hours ago, Willwis said:
  • We were to sail on the Sky Princess  3/21/20
  • We submitted our refund request for Option 2 on 3/17/20
  • FCC and FCD posted 4/21/20
  • Our cruise was paid via 2 separate credit cards and 1 gift card and 1 promotional gift card.  We received a credit to one of our credit cards (AMEX) for the total amount charged to it on 5/16/20.  Our gift card was reloaded with the amount used.  The promotional gift card which originally expired 1/31/20 was not refunded as expected. 

Just waiting for the other credit card to be credited.

We did not contact Princess or either of our credit card companies during this timeframe.

How can this be ?

• We were to sail on the Caribbean Princess  3/21/20
  • We submitted our refund request for Option 2 on 3/13/20

And haven't heard anything yet and my Princess TA knows nothing more.  This was supposed to be in chronological order !

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AZQC-Cruiser said:

How can this be ?

• We were to sail on the Caribbean Princess  3/21/20
  • We submitted our refund request for Option 2 on 3/13/20

And haven't heard anything yet and my Princess TA knows nothing more.  This was supposed to be in chronological order !

Wait...I can beat you!

• We were to sail on the Royal Princess  3/14/20
  • We submitted our refund request for Option 1 on 3/12/20

Nada. Zilch. Zip.

• Like 1