Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

lahore

4 hours ago, thinfool said:

Whom do you think will declare bankruptcy.

This is a Princess forum...Princess cannot declare bankruptcy.

Not sure what you are talking about and I believe you have no clue what you are taking about either.  

Subsidiaries can file bankruptcy separate and apart from the parent.  That’s often the reason for subsidiaries.  

Foreign corporations can file for bankruptcy protection in US courts.  Foreign companies often like the Ch.11 reorganization benefits US courts can provide.  

7 hours ago, ghstudio said:

yes, cash refund plus lower FCC's.  The FCC's are now in our account but we haven't seen any $'s refunded yet.

Yeah, I checked earlier today and again just now...no FCC.😕

46 minutes ago, SCOOTERNINJA said:

Not sure what you are talking about and I believe you have no clue what you are taking about either.  

Subsidiaries can file bankruptcy separate and apart from the parent.  That’s often the reason for subsidiaries.  

Foreign corporations can file for bankruptcy protection in US courts.  Foreign companies often like the Ch.11 reorganization benefits US courts can provide.  

In the way CCL is organized and does business it would be difficult for the subs to declare bankruptcy and successfully get it through a BK court.  Primarily because a lot of the debt is through the parent corp.  So little value to have a sub declare BK leaving the parent corp with most of the debt.

Certainly are some more hoops to jump through for subsidiaries that are totally owned by the parent corp, more ways for the debtors to challenge and consolidate.

A parent entity can be held liable for the debts of an insolvent subsidiary when: ... The insolvent subsidiary is under-capitalised or inadequately capitalised. The insolvent subsidiary's policies are not principally directed to meet its own interest but rather to that of another company

In the US for example

A parent entity can be liable for the debts of an insolvent subsidiary under the following doctrines:

Common law principles, including:

alter ego;

piercing the corporate veil;

single business enterprise;

agency.

State corporate and creditors' rights laws.

Federal bankruptcy laws for fraudulent or preferential transfers of subsidiary assets.

Substantive consolidation in bankruptcy.

"Control group" state and federal liability statutes.

Edited by npcl

1 hour ago, dog said:

I would call again. You did not and will not receive what you paid for   If no luck get rid of that credit card.  Or file dispute by sending in paperwork, anyway

Amex refunded my $2k deposit made July 2919. Since The cruise date was not until Oct 2020 and cancelled March 1 st, refundable before final payment. 

I agree with this! If you remember, back in March my credit card company told me 60 days from the transaction date was the limit. I had not been specific enough in what I had asked - I simply asked about disputing a charge. After yours and others mentioning services not received, I called again and received a different response - 119 days from the date the service was meant to be received or travel was meant to commence.

I definitely recommend checking with credit card again and being VERY specific!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Exactly!  If 'only' 38% wanted a refund, then what is the holdup??  Plus the cheerleaders have defended Princess by citing the thousands of passengers based on total ship capacity.  Now we find out it's a fraction of the passengers actually seeking a refund.  This just makes the whole lack of refunds all the more reprehensible.  

And that is 38% across all Carnival brands so how many are even Princess passengers of that percentage who are requesting refunds.....Princess made the 100% refund offer and they are scamming a lot of people right now....shameless!!!

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 2

I called Princess yesterday to inquire about our multiple refunds for cancelled cruises and reimbursement of expenses that we submitted.  The reimbursement of expenses was to get us home from Fort Lauderdale when they terminated all cruises, as per the letter Princess delivered to our stateroom prior to disembarkation.  The Princess representative took the two booking numbers and looked them up.  She informed me that no processing for my cancelled cruises or other reimbursements had begun.  I advised her that I had submitted them on 18 March 2020.  She advised me that they were paying these claims as soon as possible.  I then asked her how long will it be before I see a refund and there was silence on the other end of the telephone.  She said they are working on them now.  I then asked her if she personally knew of anyone who had actually been reimbursed and she said, NO.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BigTimeCruiser said:

I called Princess yesterday to inquire about our multiple refunds for cancelled cruises and reimbursement of expenses that we submitted.  The reimbursement of expenses was to get us home from Fort Lauderdale when they terminated all cruises, as per the letter Princess delivered to our stateroom prior to disembarkation.  The Princess representative took the two booking numbers and looked them up.  She informed me that no processing for my cancelled cruises or other reimbursements had begun.  I advised her that I had submitted them on 18 March 2020.  She advised me that they were paying these claims as soon as possible.  I then asked her how long will it be before I see a refund and there was silence on the other end of the telephone.  She said they are working on them now.  I then asked her if she personally knew of anyone who had actually been reimbursed and she said, NO.

Sad to say the least 

• Like 1

I cancelled a fully paid June 2nd cruise on March 9th after Princess’s Cancellation Policy came out.  On March 11th I received what was suppose to be a total refund but it was $534.56 short.  On March 13th I called and talked with a Customer Service Representative and after about 45 minutes to an hour of her checking with various offices everyone agreed that a mistake was made and I should have received the total refund.  I was told that the $534.56 would be credited back to my credit card in 7 – 10 days.

After 30 days I called again was told that refunds were being worked on and they could not give me any further information.  I emailed very offices including Jan Swartz’s and the next day received a call from a representative of her office.  She confirmed everything that was done but told me that it was taking 60 days to get a refund.  She said that I would definitely receive the refund by May 12th (60 days from the date of the error correction.

On May 12th I called Jan Swartz’s office back and was told that they were still working and that they could not really do anything else.  I was Told quote: “It would be best to submit a credit card dispute is you really want your money back in a timely manner.”

On May14th I called my credit card company and we initiated a dispute.  I faxed them 9 pages of documents that related to everything that happened. 

Today, May 16th, the $534.56 has been credited back to my credit card.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, famski740 said:

On May 12th I called Jan Swartz’s office back and was told that they were still working and that they could not really do anything else.  I was Told quote: “It would be best to submit a credit card dispute is you really want your money back in a timely manner.”

Wow.  I am now really glad I filed a dispute the other day if the president's office is giving that advice.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BigTimeCruiser said:

reimbursement of expenses that we submitted.  The reimbursement of expenses was to get us home from Fort Lauderdale when they terminated all cruises, as per the letter Princess delivered to our stateroom prior to disembarkation. 

I think they really baulk when it comes to paying for expenses. 

We HAD to book new flights from Syd to London - just economy but as often the case 

a one way is as expensive as a return.  At the time flightw were starting to be cancelled

everywhere Qantas had pulled most of its internal flights so we just hoping to get away.

Of course the letter we got in the stateroom had  the magic words (or was it lies?)

"And we will do everything in our power to return each guest home with the greatest amount of care possible"   In our case that amounted to giving us the phone number

for Etihad Airlines.  wow!  pulled all stops out there then!

Then on the claim form " Air change fees.increased flight costs within the same class of service, and transportation expenses will be reimbursed."

So we got ourselves home whizzed off the form receipts and boarding cards etc and

maybe 6 weeks later got an email  saying we HAD to claim on our own insurance for

the air BEFORE they could look at out claim.  - No mention of that in the on board letter.

So I managed to get an email saying we were not covered for THEM cancelling and

now we are 2 months down the track with no indication of a refund.

We cannot go the Cr Card route.  In fact the best option for us might be of they went bust then we could claim on ABTA/ATOL then there is the small claims court but no use if they

really have no money.

32 minutes ago, LDVinNC said:

Wow.  I am now really glad I filed a dispute the other day if the president's office is giving that advice.

My Princess personal cruise consultant also told me to file a dispute with my credit card company.  This is a very bad reflection on Princess to say the least!

1 hour ago, famski740 said:

I cancelled a fully paid June 2nd cruise on March 9th after Princess’s Cancellation Policy came out.  On March 11th I received what was suppose to be a total refund but it was $534.56 short.  On March 13th I called and talked with a Customer Service Representative and after about 45 minutes to an hour of her checking with various offices everyone agreed that a mistake was made and I should have received the total refund.  I was told that the $534.56 would be credited back to my credit card in 7 – 10 days.

After 30 days I called again was told that refunds were being worked on and they could not give me any further information.  I emailed very offices including Jan Swartz’s and the next day received a call from a representative of her office.  She confirmed everything that was done but told me that it was taking 60 days to get a refund.  She said that I would definitely receive the refund by May 12th (60 days from the date of the error correction.

On May14th I called my credit card company and we initiated a dispute.  I faxed them 9 pages of documents that related to everything that happened. 

I have had funds credited back to my credit card after filing a dispute, but with the caveat that the dispute investigation is in progress, which means the charge could go back on the CC. So, while not having to make a minimum payment or having interest charges I'm still going to wait until final resolution before asking for a check.

This is from an e-mail i got from American Express: 

We're writing regarding your recent inquiry about the transaction from PRINCESS CRUISES PASSANTA CLARITA CA.

We're writing to let you know that, as a result of our investigation, we've credited your account for $****.**, which will appear on your next statement.

It's important to know that we may accept the response from PRINCESS CRUISES PASSANTA CLARITA CA at a later date and review the information they provide. In these situations, we may rebill your account. If that happens, we'll be sure to let you know immediately. If you don't hear from us by July 7, 2020, then you may consider this matter closed

• Thanks 1

I thought this situation was a Hot Mess, but it's now reached a whole new level.  There is no rhyme or reason to the way Princess is handling this, and it's difficult to keep patient, as they ask all to do.

We had 2 7-day cruises booked for RIGHT NOW--the 1st was a Pacific Coastal (Royal) which was 5/9 to 5/16 ... our 2nd was an Inside Passage (Emerald) which was to have sailed 5/17 (tomorrow).   We had pre-cruise hotels booked on both legs  of this trip, and of course flights, ALL booked through Princess. as well as several excursions.

I called Princess yesterday to find out about our status on our 1st cruise, which made it on the 1st phase of cancellations.  We cancelled 3/11--then Princess cancelled the day after, 3/12.  On 3/13, we sent back the form indicating Option 1,   We received the confirmation receipt the same day.  Like everyone else, the timeline for receiving the FCC's (or refund) was changed from 10 days to 30, then 60 days.  So far,  my husband was credited on his CC for excursions booked, but no FCC has been forthcoming.  

The woman I spoke with was friendly enough, but it soon became clear that she was stressed out and not equipped to provide much info.  The entire phone call took 1 hr., 8 min., and although I appreciate her time, I'm not very confident about the outcome.  She did give me some figures, but also mentioned the "holding account" and wasn't very clear about how much we would receive in it.  When I pressed her on the fact we are over 60 days now, she indicated that they don't really want to tell anyone that it will be within the 60 days time frame any more as they have a lot of FCC's and refunds to process.  I realize she has no power in these decisions, but after working many years in customer service, this just is not acceptable.

The really odd thing is that for our 2nd cruise (which I paid on my CC), Princess refunded me the cruise fare, shore excursions and specialty dining 2 days after we cancelled.   Of course, I would still be entitled to FCC, which has not been posted to our account.

I might add, we did book a future cruise in 2021 (10 day Inside Passage), and other than our $200 dep., there's no way we are making any more payments on that.  The FCC's we're expecting should certainly take care of most of the cruise fare.

Edited by Cruzinnana47
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dag144 said:

My Princess personal cruise consultant also told me to file a dispute with my credit card company.  This is a very bad reflection on Princess to say the least!

I asked mine about it and he said, 'well, it's not going to speed things up any if you do'.   I told him, I was ok with that, I just didn't want it to slow things down!   Anyway, he said, Princess doesn't mind if you file a dispute, the credit card company might, though.  Well, I just did mine online, answered some questions and submitted it.  A couple days later, I was given a provisional credit with a date by which Princess must respond to the dispute, which I believe is in early July.  I still have a lot of money hanging out there as I had 5 reservations with Princess, including some money with two different credit cards used on one sailing, even though I only filed on a dispute on one card for the partial payment and future cruise deposits, gift cards,  both of which were applied so not sure how long I will have to wait to get the value of those back.  I just can't put anymore cash down for any cruises until they start back up again and until I am fully refunded.  I'm sad to say that the more time that goes by, the less I think my DH even wants to cruise.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, famski740 said:

Thanks for the share.....I wish that is all they owed me....but I have sent a lot of documents to the credit card company I used so it looks like a number of credit card companies are at least  finding fault with Princess.

From Princess and CCL's point of view only a relatively small percentage of those waiting for refunds will file a dispute.  By not contesting the disputes (as long as they match the amount owed) they get those aggressively seeking refunds off their back, while still retaining most of the money and taking their time with those less aggressive about getting a refund.

I was thinking that what was going on was a normal case of cash flow management.  That CCL was managing the refund rate across all of their brands.  If they are doing that, it is even at a far lower rate than I would expect.  It is now looking like any major flow of the refunds themselves are not going to start until the cruise lines see their path to sailing again.

• Like 1

Just called my bank and disputed all three charges for our May 2 cruise. Was told I should see a provisional refund on Monday. Sorry I am not waiting for Princess to file for bankruptcy and allow them to write off what they owe me. 

• Like 2

We submitted the refund request and got the acknowledgement email receipt on 12th March (April 25th cruise), we got a ‘sorry bear with us email’ On 2nd May. We rang the UK number today and go straight through. Although they acknowledge our refund request on 12th March, it didn’t hit their refund pile until 20th March so the lady said it would be 60 days from then, so if we don’t get it by end of next week to ring her back. Will wait and see what happens. Fingers crossed. 

Edited by Rascal1

Well, here is our experience.  We selected option 2 for our cancelled 4/29 Hawaii cruise on 3/12.  Were told 30 days to process - when we hit 6 weeks, we disputed with Amex because we were no longer willing to wait for the return of our $10k plus.  Amex was amazing - gave us immediate credit.  Princess had the FCC credit to us by the end of April and they just processed our final refund reconciliation  today.  So, the good news is refunds are moving now.  That being said, we have no regrets that we took action and diputes the charges to expedite the release of our funds.  Hope everyone else sees their refunds soon!  Now, looking forward to more future cruising on a variety of our favorite cruise lines, including Princess. I think they ended up doing the best that they could given the extraordinary circumstances.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, pricesx4 said:

Well, here is our experience.  We selected option 2 for our cancelled 4/29 Hawaii cruise on 3/12.  Were told 30 days to process - when we hit 6 weeks, we disputed with Amex because we were no longer willing to wait for the return of our $10k plus.  Amex was amazing - gave us immediate credit.  Princess had the FCC credit to us by the end of April and they just processed our final refund reconciliation  today.  So, the good news is refunds are moving now.  That being said, we have no regrets that we took action and diputes the charges to expedite the release of our funds.  Hope everyone else sees their refunds soon!  Now, looking forward to more future cruising on a variety of our favorite cruise lines, including Princess. I think they ended up doing the best that they could given the extraordinary circumstances.

Hi,

Would you elaborate the "final refund reconciliation" process?   Was it because you had filed the dispute so it kind of speeding up the refund process?  Thanks

• Like 1

I can’t speak to whether the dispute expedited processing on Princess’ part.  We disputed the final payments, but I had charged the original deposit on another card that I didn’t bother  filing a dispute on since it was only $400.  Today Princess credited both cards for the entire amounts paid with each.  Hope that helps provide more clarity.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pricesx4 said:

I can’t speak to whether the dispute expedited processing on Princess’ part.  We disputed the final payments, but I had charged the original deposit on another card that I didn’t bother  filing a dispute on since it was only $400.  Today Princess credited both cards for the entire amounts paid with each.  Hope that helps provide more clarity.

So Princess refunded you the whole cruise fares, right?   Or Amex credited the amount that you disputed, Princess gave you back the deposit you didn't bother to dispute?    Thanks

Edited by mfajxc99
  • Like 1