Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

4 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Leigh, I was going to put those numbers up, Less than 40 "possible" complications regarding blood clots out of 17 million doses administered. That subject came up in our briefing from Dr. Bonny Henry today. Clearly the benefits outweigh the risks.

I think someone mentioned that Astra Zeneca would be manufactured in Oz so I think that would be a positive in it's favour. We are finally ramping up here, it looks like the vaccines are coming in much more regularly, and the age groups are being moved forward.

I hope that the distribution hiccups that you are experiencing at the moment will get sorted soon. It's time someone, anyone takes charge and moves the program forward.

Yes Lyle, the AstraZeneca vaccine is being manufactured in Melbourne and I believe it starts to rollout next week. I think the distribution hiccups are because the federal govt is doing some of the vaccinations themselves and the states and territories the remainder. I don't know why the federal govt are not in charge of all the vaccinations. It would make more sense for only one entity to be distributing and doing them. But who knows why they make these decisions. Although glad I don't have to make them! 

Leigh

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

From reading a few articles from various sources this morning, it appears the concern is about one batch of the AstraZenica vaccine made in Austria. There is still no real or clear evidence that the vaccine caused the clots in the 37 cases reported out of 17 million who have received the vaccine in the UK and EU.  

AstraZenica Vaccine and Blood Clots (1)

AstraZenica Vaccine and Blood Clots (2)

AstraZenica Vaccine and Blood Clots (3)

Leigh

I read the same data and I just find it interesting that only EU countries seem to have a problem. I know quite a few people in the UK who have had the vaccine and no problems. The other interesting fact was the Pfizer vaccine has a similar count of people having blood clot issues, similar to the percentage in the general population.

My thing is if Italy and other EU countries are so concerned re AZ vaccine why won't they release the embargo they put on the vaccines that were due to be sent to Australia?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

My thing is if Italy and other EU countries are so concerned re AZ vaccine why won't they release the embargo they put on the vaccines that were due to be sent to Australia?

Why not.🤔  My thoughts exactly. 

• Like 2

Just speaking to my GP.

She said they are scheduled to receive their first delivery of vaccine on Friday for roll out next.

Except, they do not know how many doses they will receive. She said they are reluctant to set up and not have enough doses, or have lots of doses and people not turning up because of the clot news.

Certainly said I would be in the 1b group which starts next week.

• Like 2

I was at my GP last week having sea urchin spines removed from my foot. They will be contacting patients and advising appointment times. I'm 1b.. My GP said, in the 1a category, they have over 100 patients aged 90+. It's only a small practice in a small lakeside suburb but a lot of retirees by the look of it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Docker123 said:

Just speaking to my GP.

She said they are scheduled to receive their first delivery of vaccine on Friday for roll out next.

Except, they do not know how many doses they will receive. She said they are reluctant to set up and not have enough doses, or have lots of doses and people not turning up because of the clot news.

Certainly said I would be in the 1b group which starts next week.

My friend's GP on Southside Brisbane said she can have vaccine from next week.  She would be 1B Group.  

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I was at my GP last week having sea urchin spines removed from my foot. They will be contacting patients and advising appointment times. I'm 1b.. My GP said, in the 1a category, they have over 100 patients aged 90+. It's only a small practice in a small lakeside suburb but a lot of retirees by the look of it.

That sounds panful.  On my annual visit to North Qld. and Great Barrier Reef from childhood, I used to be afraid of standing on a stone fish.  Now I'm more afraid of stingers in summer.  

People are definitely living  longer.  Nice to retire to lakeside suburb.  My friend's mother who is 100 has just received her first Govt. package, Level 3.  

On 3/16/2021 at 12:17 PM, possum52 said:

From reading a few articles from various sources this morning, it appears the concern is about one batch of the AstraZenica vaccine made in Austria. There is still no real or clear evidence that the vaccine caused the clots in the 37 cases reported out of 17 million who have received the vaccine in the UK and EU.  

Really good point and nicely researched. With those numbers you could theoretically argue it prevents blood clots as more than that would be expected in 17 million people. In other words, in the world of news media, clicks get revenue, and negative articles get clicks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lyle, I came across this just before on our ABC website which I found interesting - 

A Canadian company is moving its plant-derived COVID-19 vaccine candidate into final-stage testing. Medicago announced Tuesday it will enroll up to 30,000 volunteers in a study in Canada and the US, and potentially expanding to several other countries. Medicago uses plants as living factories to grow virus-like particles, which mimic the spike protein that coats the coronavirus. British partner GlaxoSmithKline contributes an immune-boosting chemical called an adjuvant to the vaccine.

Leigh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NumnuT_OZ said:

Damn....

Worst pain i have ever had is an urchin spine under my fingernail...🥵

The pain wasn't much at all. I trod on something while walking my board out to a sufficient depth for the foil. I felt the bottom of my foot and felt something prickly sticking out and pulled it out. It looked like a very fine splinter about 15mm long. I thought no more of it and sailed for an hour or so.

That night my foot felt a little sore when I put weight on it and I could feel something, like a bit/tip of a splinter sticking out. As I am not flexible enough to turn my foot to get a good look at it, I used a mirror and could see a couple of tiny dark marks. I rubbed some Savlon on it and the next morning I could feel like infection was setting in so made an appointment with my GP to get it checked out.

At the surgery my doc checked my foot and started squeezing  and got a bit of a spine and some pus out but she said she would need to use a scalpel to get the rest . She asked if I would like a shot of anesthetic. I couldn't make up my mind as I knew anesthetic shot into feet can be painful. The assisting nurse suggested that the doc start with the scalpel and see how I handle it. I must say my doc has a very gentle touch and she ended up removing seven spines causing very little pain at all.

The nurse stuck a waterproof dressing over it so that I could go sail again the next day. I also got a tetanus/pertussis shot as it had been 10 and 4 years, respectively, since my last ones.

I've been swimming, sailing, canoeing in my lake for 60+ years and have never seen a sea urchin but now I know they are there. A couple of months back I trod on a bull rout - also painful - they're similar to a stone fish, as well as cutting (same foot) on a razor fish. The cut was about four inches long, deep enough to hurt but not bleed. A razor fish a type of clam that has a very sharp edged shell poking just above the bottom.

https://lakemacfamilylife.com.au/razor-fish-lake-macquaries-secret-foot-slicer/

Looks like I'll be going back to wearing my rubber booties.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Lyle, I came across this just before on our ABC website which I found interesting - 

A Canadian company is moving its plant-derived COVID-19 vaccine candidate into final-stage testing. Medicago announced Tuesday it will enroll up to 30,000 volunteers in a study in Canada and the US, and potentially expanding to several other countries. Medicago uses plants as living factories to grow virus-like particles, which mimic the spike protein that coats the coronavirus. British partner GlaxoSmithKline contributes an immune-boosting chemical called an adjuvant to the vaccine.

Leigh

Thanks Leigh I knew there was a Canadian company working on a vaccine but it hasn't really been in the news very much. There was also an announcement about 6 weeks ago that there was going to be a new facility here to produce vaccines but that won't be up and running for over a year. I'm glad that there is in country capability in Oz even if you can't produce as much as needed at least that supply is not under the discretion of other countries.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

The pain wasn't much at all. I trod on something while walking my board out to a sufficient depth for the foil. I felt the bottom of my foot and felt something prickly sticking out and pulled it out. It looked like a very fine splinter about 15mm long. I thought no more of it and sailed for an hour or so.

I am glad you weren't in too much pain, I would hate to have seven spines removed, one was bad enough....

I was collecting kina (Maori for urchin) as they are one of the best berley/bait for snapper..

Edited by NumnuT_OZ
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, lyndarra said:

https://lakemacfamilylife.com.au/razor-fish-lake-macquaries-secret-foot-slicer/

Looks like I'll be going back to wearing my rubber booties.

Those Razor Clams/Fish are damned good eating. Very popular in SA for eating and fantastic Whiting bait.

Edited by Russell21
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Those Razor Clams/Fish are damned good eating. Very popular in SA for eating and fantastic Whiting bait.

Years ago I saw them as the featured item on Iron Chef. Looked much more appetising than the Hagfish they had once.

19 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

If this news report about each way travel between Australia and NZ is on the money, what next? Local cruising starting in September?

"New Zealand could decide as soon as Monday to open a quarantine-free travel bubble with Australia from mid-April" Full article here 9 News

I've been waiting for that news but it's too close to winter now for the land tour I want to do.

Edited by lyndarra

Just now, MMDown Under said:

Will be good for skiers. 

It was bad enough breaking my foot when I was over there 2019 so I don't want to add a leg to the list. My skiing days are over methinks.

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

Hey Lyle, I see your southern neighbour is planning to help Canada out.

"The United States plans to send 1.5 millions of doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine to Canada, White House officials said Thursday". Source NYT.

I heard that today as well, thanks to President Biden; but there is some "fine print", the US has not approved Astra Zeneca yet but we have. Hey we'll take it but I think this is a "loan" and we will need to replace those doses at a later date. I'm guessing the doses we will get may have to be used soonish.