How does Golden Princess dock in Melbourne during a ban

I'm curious how they can allow the ship to dock in Melbourne during a clear ban on all cruise ships in Australia.

I also think its pretty ridiculous that they actually sent a letter to all passengers telling them they are free to move about the ship while waiting to disembark.

I know we can't leave people stranded on a cruise ship for 30 days, but why not at least quarantine them.

3 minutes ago, DT1304 said:

I'm curious how they can allow the ship to dock in Melbourne during a clear ban on all cruise ships in Australia.

I also think its pretty ridiculous that they actually sent a letter to all passengers telling them they are free to move about the ship while waiting to disembark.

I know we can't leave people stranded on a cruise ship for 30 days, but why not at least quarantine them.

The Golden was probably allowed to dock because she was on a Melbourne back to Melbourne cruise. The passengers have to be able to disembark. Even if they were quarantined on the ship, they will still be mixing with others as they disembark and while on the tram or shuttles. I'm not sure what international passengers have to do, but Australians will start their quarantine once they reach home.

Leigh

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sewgood said:

Did the passengers actually get off the cruise ship at all in New zealand?

I don't think so but others will be able to confirm that.

Leigh

Exceptions were made for those Australian cruise ships (and possibly a few others) that were already on their way back to Australia or cruising around Australia. The 14 day self-isolation rule will apply once they disembark.

• Like 1

At least they may of had one stop.

I did see on the TV this morning that they are unable to get off until the test results come back of any sick people on board with respiratory symptoms. Hopefully all come back as negative and they just have colds.

2 hours ago, sewgood said:

Hopefully all come back as negative and they just have colds.

Or none of them are sick at all - it was just an awful rumour about the virus on board Golden in the first place, just saying ......

From one of our CruiseCritic Editors - about Coronavirus on Golden:

No. This not accurate. One passenger was tested by NZ health authorities and they were negative. The person was on the same flight as someone who tested positive. The positive airline passenger was noton Golden Princess. The ship is virus-free and returning to Australia in line with the government's moves to curb the spread.”

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 2

I don't believe there is a ban.

There is only a restriction on ships from foreign ports visiting Australia - with certain exceptions as well even to that.

As long as that condition is met, ships should be able to dock without issue as I haven't heard of any ban.

4 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

It seems as though the MSC Magnifica arrived around noon.

However, Vicports say it has come from Sydney.

Apparently the MSC Magnifica was in Hobart on Saturday where the captain didn't allow passengers to disembark because there were five cases in Tasmania. There has been no suggestion that there are infections on the ship.

Golden Princess still at Station Pier.

Vicports departures list shows her there until 30/3.

I would guess she will be moved to the anchorage at some stage, but no more cruise ships are likely to come along.

Passengers disembarked yesterday afternoon after all clear.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/cruise-passengers-stuck-for-hours-as-victorian-authorities-test-sick-guests-20200319-p54bq1.html

Edited by Docker123

22 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Thanks for letting us know.

I hadn't heard anything since yesterday morning.

I think sometimes the news outlets are fast to post the bad (shocking) news, but slow to less us know the good news.

Nothing more to say on this matter apart from "refer to other thread about the 2700 passangers allowed to disembark in Sydney and now 4 (so far) have been confirmed to be positive for the virus"

Oh well. Stupid is as stupid does!!!!

We have a Cruise ship at Port Adelaide that has a Skeleton maintenance crew and no passengers. Adelaide is its home base. It goes out to local waters from time to time then returns. Crew are not allowed on shore. This was explained this morning in our media. There is no risk.  

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 12:58 PM, Aus Traveller said:

Apparently the MSC Magnifica was in Hobart on Saturday where the captain didn't allow passengers to disembark because there were five cases in Tasmania. There has been no suggestion that there are infections on the ship.

Yes that is the one where a staff member left the ship and didn't return.  He was interviewed on TV.  I don't know how many others got off. 

On 3/20/2020 at 1:13 PM, MicCanberra said:

The ban didn't count for the ships already in Australia (waters) or sailing out of an Australian or NZ port when it was implemented.

That wasn't clearly explained to the public.  Mixed messages

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The original announcement was that no cruise ships from foreign ports would be allowed to dock. Some people seem to hear just part of an announcement. 🙂

Agreed.  Visual people need to see the message, not just hear it.  

Edited by MMDown Under