for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

I had friends evacuate from Big Bear Lake in CA & our son’s in-laws have loaded the 5th wheel & are headed out here as we speak. If I have to go through a natural disaster I’d rather have in this order a blizzard, a hurricane, an earthquake, a tornado & a wildfire. 

• Like 2

Good morning girls,  here is something that hopefully cheers everyone up (at least for a few minutes).  Today

is National Linguine Day!   Here are some photos that look really good😃

A Linguine Lover's Cookbook: 40 Pasta Dishes to Celebrate National Linguine  Day on September 15th by Martha Stephenson

Clam Linguine: The Lamborghini of Pasta - Shepherd Express

National Linguine Day | Seafood Restaurant in Suffolk County New York

National Linguine Day and Lemony Parmesan Linguine – Rosemarie's Kitchen

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning girls,  here is something that hopefully cheers everyone up (at least for a few minutes).  Today

is National Linguine Day!   Here are some photos that look really good😃

A Linguine Lover's Cookbook: 40 Pasta Dishes to Celebrate National Linguine  Day on September 15th by Martha Stephenson

Clam Linguine: The Lamborghini of Pasta - Shepherd Express

National Linguine Day | Seafood Restaurant in Suffolk County New York

National Linguine Day and Lemony Parmesan Linguine – Rosemarie's Kitchen

My fav is smoked salmon linguine from a local restaurant!

Kat, I used Tito's for the limoncello :)    when it's done aging in about 4 weeks, I'll put it in small bottles & into the freezer...  the recipe I used takes about 6 weeks total :)  Your pizza bowl sounds so good :)

Melody,  I have some frozen shrimp & Paella rice & seasoning, one of these days that's going to be what's for dinner :)  & regarding disasters, well, like you, wildfire is pretty far down on my list.  :)  However, can I just say no thank you to any of them? ;)

Lois & 57Redbird, congrats on your home upgrades!  You're giving me motivation to get off my behind & do some straightening up....  things have gotten a little sloppy here, going to clean up & finish Halloween decorating inside :)

Sailor_Sally,  I love my crockpot!  & Instant Pot as well :)

Lois, since in the "before" times we mostly ate out, the Instant Pot is a lifesaver for me...we alternate cooking dinner, & for me it's either the instant pot or I BBQ...  with the instant pot I can make a pot roast in under an hour & it comes out so tender...  I also do boneless, skinless chicken thighs in under 30 minutes & then shred them for tacos...  & if you forget to take something out of the freezer, you can cook it frozen, it just adds a little extra time :)  

& no, I don't work for Instant Pot lol ;)

I have never used an InstaPot or pressure cooker. I do have a slow cooker...I tend to go through seasons of using that appliance. I'll get on a slow cooker kick but I must admit that I absolutely HATE cleaning the slow cooker. IDK...such a pain...and I don't like the thought of my food cooking in plastic so I'm not interested in those liners. I think the problem is that the things I like to prepare in the crock pot form that line around the edge and it's just a PITA to get off. And my big crock doesn't fit in sinks very well...so overall...enough time has to pass that I feel up for dealing with the aftermath of slow cooking to make it worth while.

Now talk about my mini rice cooker? OMG...I love that thing. I think you can cook other things in it but I only use it for rice. I took a chance several years ago and bought it on clearance at Target for $6.58 and now I can't believe I haven't had one before that. It only cooks a max of 1.5 cups of dry rice...but that works out to the perfect size for my uses.

I'm very interested in the Limoncello recipe! Looking forward to hearing how that comes out. Did you use "normal" lemons or Meyers?

Exciting news about everyone's home improvements.

The craziness of the world right now feels so chaotic. To all in the path of these natural disasters all over, I hope everyone stays safe and healthy. Well...I always hope everyone can be safe and healthy...

Kat...you've mentioned your sleeveless hoodie dresses several times. What brand are they? 

Sally...do you do typical floured and dipped and floured again fried chicken in the air fryer? I just made my first batch of fried chicken EVER. I was so sad that DS and I didn't get to it before he left 😞 but anyway, I followed the Thomas Keller Ad Hoc recipe...and I didn't change a thing, which is really unusual for me LOL, and I've never considered myself a fan of fried chicken...wasn't something I ate growing up in CA...but man oh man, this was SO GOOD. DH and I have been eating fried chicken for days now (the recipe calls for 2 chickens). DH rarely eats cold protein, he almost always likes it reheated,, even leftovers, but this is so good he will even eat this fried chicken cold. What a mess though dealing with the oil...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

I have never used an InstaPot or pressure cooker. I do have a slow cooker...I tend to go through seasons of using that appliance. I'll get on a slow cooker kick but I must admit that I absolutely HATE cleaning the slow cooker. IDK...such a pain...and I don't like the thought of my food cooking in plastic so I'm not interested in those liners. I think the problem is that the things I like to prepare in the crock pot form that line around the edge and it's just a PITA to get off. And my big crock doesn't fit in sinks very well...so overall...enough time has to pass that I feel up for dealing with the aftermath of slow cooking to make it worth while.

Now talk about my mini rice cooker? OMG...I love that thing. I think you can cook other things in it but I only use it for rice. I took a chance several years ago and bought it on clearance at Target for $6.58 and now I can't believe I haven't had one before that. It only cooks a max of 1.5 cups of dry rice...but that works out to the perfect size for my uses.

I'm very interested in the Limoncello recipe! Looking forward to hearing how that comes out. Did you use "normal" lemons or Meyers?

Exciting news about everyone's home improvements.

The craziness of the world right now feels so chaotic. To all in the path of these natural disasters all over, I hope everyone stays safe and healthy. Well...I always hope everyone can be safe and healthy...

Kat...you've mentioned your sleeveless hoodie dresses several times. What brand are they? 

The dresses - they were from Just Fab.  I haven't seen them in 2 years, though.  They are made with french terry, so very comfy.  

I bought a little InstaPot around Christmas because everyone said it was great.  It's still in the box.   But, I have a really cool Krups rice cooker.  It also has controls to be a slow cooker, steamer and oatmeal pot.  I've used the slow cooker control a few times to do a hunk of pork and I've made good oats in there.  Haven't steamed, although some potstickers someday may work.

We had another fire down in the canyon between us and SLC.  Fortunately, they knocked it down fairly fast.  They had one little one-engine airplane that was dumping retardant on the hills.  And, the fire up in the Uintas just keeps re-flaring up.  There's a crew up that just beats is down and waits for it to come back.   Found out my old friend is back up in Idaho working on the fires here in the Payette.  She is in wildfire management.  She is "retired", but they call her back every summer to work a fire.  

Man, the Gulf Coast is getting hit in a big way.  This hurricane just won't move.  The amount of rain coming down is incredible.  Water and storm surge everywhere.  It's going to be another long time of cleanup.

• Like 1

Ah ok. I use my Breville counter top toaster/convection/convention/pizza oven DAILY. I love that thing. Today for lunch I roasted Brussel sprouts in it. I read a book once that said that most likely it's not that you don't like something, you just don't like the way it was prepared. I used to really dislike Brussel sprouts but ever since I started roasting them...OMG...even DS loves them. 

That sounds like a yummy chicken preparation Sally.

• Like 1

Hi Ladies :)

Anita, here's what I did for the Limoncello:

1 bottle tito's vodka ( or any decent vodka)  8 Meyer lemons, washed, then peel only the yellow part,  be sure to scrape off any white parts from the back, or you'll have bitter limoncello)   pour vodka in a very big, clean jar, it should hold twice the amount of your vodka bottle.  Add lemon peels, & put in a cool dark place for at least two weeks....don't move it around or expose to direct sunlight.  After two weeks mix 3.5 cups of water with 2 cups of sugar, heat over stove at low simmer for 5 minutes until sugar is completely dissolved, stirring the whole time,   it needs to cool completely before you add it to your vodka & peel concoction, so I transferred it to another saucepan I had cooled in fridge to help it cool faster.  Add it to your jar w/vodka & peels, give it a little stir,  then back to the cool, dark space for 4 weeks.  Give the jar a little swirls once in a while, but don't shake. 

After 4 weeks, strain, decant into smaller flasks or jars & put in freezer.... once it's cold you are good to go :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

Hi Ladies 🙂

Anita, here's what I did for the Limoncello:

1 bottle tito's vodka ( or any decent vodka)  8 Meyer lemons, washed, then peel only the yellow part,  be sure to scrape off any white parts from the back, or you'll have bitter limoncello)   pour vodka in a very big, clean jar, it should hold twice the amount of your vodka bottle.  Add lemon peels, & put in a cool dark place for at least two weeks....don't move it around or expose to direct sunlight.  After two weeks mix 3.5 cups of water with 2 cups of sugar, heat over stove at low simmer for 5 minutes until sugar is completely dissolved, stirring the whole time,   it needs to cool completely before you add it to your vodka & peel concoction, so I transferred it to another saucepan I had cooled in fridge to help it cool faster.  Add it to your jar w/vodka & peels, give it a little stir,  then back to the cool, dark space for 4 weeks.  Give the jar a little swirls once in a while, but don't shake. 

After 4 weeks, strain, decant into smaller flasks or jars & put in freezer.... once it's cold you are good to go 🙂

Do you use a knife to peel the lemons or do you think a potato peeler would work?

Edited by ReneeFLL

18 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Do you use a knife to peel the lemons or do you think a potato peeler would work?

I used a peeler that I have that's made for zesting lemons, but I still got a tiny bit of the white part, I scraped that off the back with a paring knife :)

Did you get the crazy rain that some parts of Florida are having?

23 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls,  Kat, did you ever get any more information about that Debate? Tickets, etc.?

We haven't found anything yet.  There's 3 of us on the hunt. 

I did put in an order for a pair of slightly custom Black Converse All Stars low tops (classic Chucks). I wanted a leopard tongue and off-white rubber.  The leopard just to be sassy and the off white rubber so it doesn't look so bad if it gets dirty.   I'll be wearing them through November 4.  If I go back to my job, I'll be able to wear them since they're black.  But only on non-snowy days - I need waterproof and lug sole stuff since I do go outside for some things.  A lot of women here in town are buying black Chucks.  They go well with jeans and Patagonia jackets 😉  Nordstroms must be running out by now (any women would go to Nordy before a sporting goods store!!!)!  Come Sundance time, since they are limiting attendance, we can be our own PIBs (People in Black - a running Sundance joke on the clothing worn by the Sundancers).  

I think it's salad night.  Just have to figure out which one.  

Have a good day ladies!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

back again 🙂   @slidergirl Kat, that's scary about the fires popping up near you...  Do you have a preplanned escape route?  

I can go multiple directions, depending on where the fire is.  Had one 3 years ago in the hills (no trees, just grass & bush)that got within 5 miles of my house. No evac needed since the wind shifted.  Ready to head W down I-80 to SLC.   The new one today is out by Duschene, a good hour away.  But we have Red Flag again today.  This is getting tired.