for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

27 minutes ago, Sailor_Sally said:

This may back fire for some restaurants since people will not feel safe .

It might but it might not.  Just because they can open 100% does not mean they have to.   The restaurants we go to have never had tables that close together before all this happened anyway.  Our county and city have never had a mask mandate but a lot of people still wear them inside.  I just had my nails done today and everyone had masks on.  

Did everyone watch the announcement? I heard the news here first LOL so I went and watched the announcement.

I think a point that is getting lost in the news reporting on the announcement is when the governor said that he thinks it is "misplaced that government is better than the local businesses" at determining how to conduct their business. It is up to the local businesses to determine how they can best make their customers feel safe and how to conduct their business. Businesses are highly vested in safe operations so that they can continue to be a business so as he was expressing the move into Phase 3, it wasn't as a free for all so much as a government isn't limiting you any longer...figure out what works for you on your own without worrying about satisfying some government protocol.

He said, we need everyone to be able to go to work and so local governments can't force businesses to close. "Every business has a right to operate."

There is provision for local governments to limit capacity to somewhere between 50-100% but they have to justify that as well as demonstrate the cost of full capacity.

Again...not trying to be political so much as to temper the concern. Businesses will do what they will and consumers will talk through their dollars spent or saved. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I can only say Good Luck and hope the positivity rate doesn't go into double digits...

If it does maybe we can get a lot of people who are pretty sure they are not currently positive go get tested to bring those numbers back down.

1 hour ago, Anita Latte said:

On a different note, this article isn’t getting the coverage I would expect from such good news:

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/covid-19-treatment-underway-in-florida-has-near-perfect-success-rate

Thought I would share it.

Survival rate isn't much anymore.  Thousands of us didn't get hospitalized, didn't get vented.  thousands didn't have the lung issue - it's now showing that blood and nerves are more at risk with COVID.  Some had only a low grade fever and 7 month latert are suffering post-COVID issues.  

So while this may be some good news,  allow me to say it will have zero bearing on opening up the US and keeping COVID at bay.   What person in their right mind would want to go out and party like it's 2018, knowing that if they contract COVID, there is a small chance that a drug may not keep you from being sick, but maybe not die.  Sorry, but MHO as someone dealing daily with issues.  

Not trying to be argumentative but it’s not a single drug, it’s a more comprehensive treatment aimed at prohibiting some known effects of the virus which are where the danger of COVID truly lies. Like you say. Many deaths have occurred after the virus is no longer active but the virus ravaged the body systems before the virus ran its course and even with COVID no longer active, bodies couldn’t recover from the damage. Further study could show that this treatment protocol would also be beneficial to mild and moderate cases and not just the severe ones, especially as more is learned about the long term effects of COVID. Just because the body is able to squelch major symptoms doesn’t mean that the body isn’t still ravaged by the virus. It’s all a big, hard learning curve and I thought it was good news, especially considering that two aims of the treatment protocol are totally achievable through nutrition, boost immune systems and lower inflammation. I’ve been reading that even a 50-75% effective vaccine would be welcomed and so my thoughts are that treatment better also become more effective, especially with the talk of any vaccines needing to be tweaked annually, as the annual flu shots are. A lot of what I read basically points to the world never being the same again...regardless, progress on several fronts can only help. I do believe that improved treatment will be helpful. I don’t believe COVID will ever be at bay. I think it’s here now and we get to deal with it from now on. It isn’t stable...it will not be like polio...it will be like influenza, changing form, causing some deaths, causing life changing damage, and for some, being something they had once, or twice, or several times.

I didn’t mean to end on such a negative note! Trying to share something positive...

So in light of that...I’m very excited to be anticipating two deliveries on Monday. I’ve ordered a pair of Sloggers to wear during all my anticipated gardening which is about to begin here in FL with fall and winter being great times to plant. I also ordered a router table top mount for my first wood working project. I’m making yoga blocks out of Purple Heart Wood. And yes, the natural color of the wood is purple.

Edited by Anita Latte
  • Like 1

I love purple heart wood.  It is beautiful.  When ordering my spinning wheel I was sorely tempted to pick that wood but ended up with tiger wood instead.  Enjoy the wood working.  I need to get busy and work on my front flower bed soon.  It will be next spring before we get the garden beds built.  We have some kind of lemon tree in the back, but the lemons have an unpleasant taste.  I am thinking it might be our soil?  

9 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

So in light of that...I’m very excited to be anticipating two deliveries on Monday. I’ve ordered a pair of Sloggers to wear during all my anticipated gardening which is about to begin here in FL with fall and winter being great times to plant. I also ordered a router table top mount for my first wood working project. I’m making yoga blocks out of Purple Heart Wood. And yes, the natural color of the wood is purple.

Yes...I would agree that it is your soil. It's probably not providing the right nutrition for the tree. Did you feed the tree at all? I remember you moved recently...did you buy or rent? Maybe the previous caretakers of the lemon didn't take good care of it either. I've also read that being water challenged can affect the fruit. IDK where in FL you are? It's hard to imagine anywhere here being water challenged this year LOL.

I'd never heard of purple heart before seeing it. We drove up to Ormond Beach to check out a specialty wood shop that had nothing but furniture grade wood and there it was. Come to find out that there are some challenges working with it so I'm very glad that I'm doing such a simple project. I just need to cut the board to length and rout all the edges. The purple color can fade so I'm hoping with a UV protective finish coat and the fact that they will be blocks and so not exposed like a piece of furniture might be, the deeper purple color will last.

I'm not making garden beds yet. I'm going to do something that I read about a long while back. Unfortunately, I can't find the book again...but it was a book about how to build your vegetable garden over 5 years. Basically in year 1, you use bags of soil as your beds. Poke holes in the bottom of the bag and make room for your plants in the top of the bag and there you go. A somewhat shallow, but still, a "raised bed". You can test out the area that you plan to plant. I'm going to lay down cardboard and about 6" of gathered mulch from the yard (pine needles etc) and lay my bags on top of that to get started this fall. If it all works out, we may build some beds in the spring. I've been thinking about building beds from pallet wood and scouring my area for free pallets. I'm all about doing this with more effort but less $$$.

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

I love purple heart wood.  It is beautiful.  When ordering my spinning wheel I was sorely tempted to pick that wood but ended up with tiger wood instead.  Enjoy the wood working.  I need to get busy and work on my front flower bed soon.  It will be next spring before we get the garden beds built.  We have some kind of lemon tree in the back, but the lemons have an unpleasant taste.  I am thinking it might be our soil?  

You might have a Meyer lemon. They do have a different taste to them than regular lemons. You could take a lemon & sample of your soil  to a nursery or agricultural school (that’d likely be free) & have them test both

20 minutes ago, awhfy said:

You might have a Meyer lemon. They do have a different taste to them than regular lemons. You could take a lemon & sample of your soil  to a nursery or agricultural school (that’d likely be free) & have them test both

That is a great idea.  I will do that and see what the results are.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

Not trying to be argumentative but it’s not a single drug, it’s a more comprehensive treatment aimed at prohibiting some known effects of the virus which are where the danger of COVID truly lies. Like you say. Many deaths have occurred after the virus is no longer active but the virus ravaged the body systems before the virus ran its course and even with COVID no longer active, bodies couldn’t recover from the damage. Further study could show that this treatment protocol would also be beneficial to mild and moderate cases and not just the severe ones, especially as more is learned about the long term effects of COVID. Just because the body is able to squelch major symptoms doesn’t mean that the body isn’t still ravaged by the virus. It’s all a big, hard learning curve and I thought it was good news, especially considering that two aims of the treatment protocol are totally achievable through nutrition, boost immune systems and lower inflammation. I’ve been reading that even a 50-75% effective vaccine would be welcomed and so my thoughts are that treatment better also become more effective, especially with the talk of any vaccines needing to be tweaked annually, as the annual flu shots are. A lot of what I read basically points to the world never being the same again...regardless, progress on several fronts can only help. I do believe that improved treatment will be helpful. I don’t believe COVID will ever be at bay. I think it’s here now and we get to deal with it from now on. It isn’t stable...it will not be like polio...it will be like influenza, changing form, causing some deaths, causing life changing damage, and for some, being something they had once, or twice, or several times.

I didn’t mean to end on such a negative note! Trying to share something positive...

I apologize for getting so militant.  Now that I was actually given a diagnosis that I was "presumptive" COVID positive back in the winter, all the crap that I've dealt with are making sense.   People concentrate on deaths and hospitalizations.  I wish there was some magic treatment that made sure no one was left with the "after effects" - heart issues, blood clots, total fatigue, blood sugar issues, shingles (turns out many got shingles on face or in eyes), dizziness, permanent vision changes, and it goes on.  

Have fun with the woodworking!!!  My one grandfather had a woodshop in the top of his barn.  He let me "help" him and I loved it!  

Nothing again today.  It's windy out.  I've got some inside things I can do if I work up the energy.  OOTD: my gray Athleta crop sweatpants and my brand new Queen RBG Tshirt.  If I end up going to the market or something, I'll switch the sweats for a pair of leggings.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

Omg shingles on the eyes? That sounds absolutely horrible. Maybe I should quit ignoring the message in mychart that it's been past due for years. I've never gotten one before so I have been ignoring it. 😔

Yes, please get that shingles vaccination!!!!  

this was the 2nd bout of shingles I've had.  First was back sometime in the 90s pre-vaccine.  Lower center back, right where your pants would hit.  Awful pain, basically wore just a Tshirt for weeks.  When vaccinations were created, no one said to get it if you already had shingles.  Lucky me.  Now, I have to wait until December to get mine.  The shingles in the eye wasn't really painful like the back, but it screwed big time with my vision.  I couldn't even walk to the mail boxes because everything was fuzzy and it just made me nauseous.  Couldn't drive a mile to the store for the same reason.  Anyway...

Between shingles and norovirus, noro was far worse in the short term, but shingles was bad for longer.  I don't think I'd wish either on my worse enemy.  

4 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Yes, please get that shingles vaccination!!!!  

this was the 2nd bout of shingles I've had.  First was back sometime in the 90s pre-vaccine.  Lower center back, right where your pants would hit.  Awful pain, basically wore just a Tshirt for weeks.  When vaccinations were created, no one said to get it if you already had shingles.  Lucky me.  Now, I have to wait until December to get mine.  The shingles in the eye wasn't really painful like the back, but it screwed big time with my vision.  I couldn't even walk to the mail boxes because everything was fuzzy and it just made me nauseous.  Couldn't drive a mile to the store for the same reason.  Anyway...

Between shingles and norovirus, noro was far worse in the short term, but shingles was bad for longer.  I don't think I'd wish either on my worse enemy.  

Thanks for the info. I will make an appt for it.

Hello All, once again just catching up. Kat, so it looks like you had Covid-that would certainly explain all the issues you have been dealing with. Does this mean that you have antibodies? This virus and  its affect on the body is really very concerning. It amazes me that so many disregard the recommendations of the doctors and scientists. For this reason it seems necessary to put requirements in place that protect everyone including those who aren’t taking it seriously since they can so easily infect others. We will most likely be living with the precautions that are meant to prevent spread for a long time. I worry that, as these “precautions” are relaxed, We will see fewer masks, less social distancing, and so on. 

Anita, thanks for sharing that article. Let’s hope that there are several treatments that prove effective along with vaccines. Then maybe we will get Covid under control. I don’t know if we will ever completely eliminate it but hopefully its occurrence will be drastically diminished.

I haven’t heard anything mentioned about a world wide trial led by Washington University in St Louis, to see if the MMR vaccine will help prevent the virus. The trial will involve health care workers who are caring for Covid patients to see if the MMR vaccine will  strengthen their immune systems and protect them from Covid. Here is the link for those who are interested.

https://medicine.wustl.edu/news/global-trial-to-test-whether-mmr-vaccine-protects-front-line-health-care-workers-against-covid-19/

Melody, OMG, that accident sounds awful. I certainly hope your stylist is going to be ok.

Anita, that raised vegetable bed seems like a great idea and one that even I might be able to manage.

Bought several pumpkin items as well as other seasonal finds at Trader Joe’s. I did forget to look for the Apple Cider foaming soap-it smells so good. I’m not even sure that they are stocking it this year. Oh and the Flyer has has a recipe for Fall Turkey Chili with Pumpkin. Calls for 2 cans of their Organic Pumpkin. I’m still trying to figure out how that will taste and if I want to take a chance and try it.

We have had a few days of fairly good air quality so have tried to take advantage of outdoor activities. Today we walked early, then worked on cleaning the front porch, door and lights which led to some flower bed clean up. I took the summer wreath down, put up the fall wreath and a fall garden flag. The ash from the fires left a coating on everything. Prediction is for more hot weather over several days and concern that it will make fighting the fires more difficult. It will also cause our air quality to be unhealthy and we will most likely again see and smell smoke. Guess I will be working on indoor activities.

OOTD, jeans and a tee I usually wear only in the fall-I couldn’t resist.

Sharon

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Omg shingles on the eyes? That sounds absolutely horrible. Maybe I should quit ignoring the message in mychart that it's been past due for years. I've never gotten one before so I have been ignoring it. 😔

Don’t put it off!  Shingles is very, very debilitating. If you haven’t had the pneumonia vaccine get that too (just not together!)

• Like 1

Hi friends....well, I have more health news too....I will be ok but have been in the hospital since Friday night. 

I am home now.  Seems 2020 keeps getting suckier and suckier....It seems I had a bleeding ulcer😲 and to make

a long story short, I fell Friday night in my kitchen and then when I stood up....I threw up blood. Other issues happened.

After seeing the blood I thought maybe I needed to call 911.  So I did and had 6 gorgeous men come in my

house LOL......(only good thing about the entire event) My hemoglobin was too low (red cells) and I had internal bleeding.

ER Doc took a cat scan and admitted me.  I had an endoscopy yesterday and the bleeding has stopped. (thankfully)

and my blood number is better.  I have 2 new meds I have to take for 90 days (basically the rest of the year)...........

It was a bit scary.......it is good to be home.  

Yep, things were starting to fall in place with all the crap I've dealt with.  My NP still isn't on the bus with it, but she put in an order for an antibody test - negative.  But so far out from the initial illness that I didn't expect a positive.  There's no "static" level of antibodies and how long they last - another frustration for everyone.  Enough of that, I'm too much Debbie Downer.  

Sharon - did you find the Apple Cider fruit spread?  I tried some of it last night - really good!!!  I'm thinking it may make a good glaze on some pork.  But, it's good on a whole wheat bagel, too!!!   I did a half/half bagel - one side the fruit spread, the other side pumpkin cream cheese.  If you are into their prepared salads for a quick fix, the new one that was an udon salad with peanut dressing (in the little round containers, not the rectangle one) was darn tasty.  If it wasn't such a pain to get down there, I'd live on all their prepared salads.   I am going to have to look up the turkey chili recipe.  Do you ever look at all their recipes online?  Some goodies in there.  

We still have smoke around.  California has to get rid of it somewhere so it comes here.  Some days it's tolerable, some days it's nasty.  Sigh.  

Still waiting for my sign to come in the mail so I can finish up my seasonal luge display.  I decided it will be a combo of Fall (pumpkins) and Election time (the sign and flags).  The pink flamingos will be there just for fun - maybe I'll try to fashion tiny little masks for them.  

OOTD:  since I didn't go out yesterday, my Notorious RBG shirt is still waiting.  I do have to hit the store for some breakfast things for the week, so I'll wear the shirt with a pair of my Sweaty Betty leggings.  Now, I have to also decide which mask to accessorize  with for the outfit!!!  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi friends....well, I have more health news too....I will be ok but have been in the hospital since Friday night. 

I am home now.  Seems 2020 keeps getting suckier and suckier....It seems I had a bleeding ulcer😲 and to make

a long story short, I fell Friday night in my kitchen and then when I stood up....I threw up blood. Other issues happened.

After seeing the blood I thought maybe I needed to call 911.  So I did and had 6 gorgeous men come in my

house LOL......(only good thing about the entire event) My hemoglobin was too low (red cells) and I had internal bleeding.

ER Doc took a cat scan and admitted me.  I had an endoscopy yesterday and the bleeding has stopped. (thankfully)

and my blood number is better.  I have 2 new meds I have to take for 90 days (basically the rest of the year)...........

It was a bit scary.......it is good to be home.  

OMG Lois!  I am soooo sorry you had that happen.  I can't imagine how scary that was.  I'm glad that you thought to call 911 and get to the hospital.  Do you have to modify your diet again?  Thank goodness the bleeding has stopped.  I'll keep thinking good thoughts of you.  We are a sad sack of old women, aren't we???   And, I agree that one good thing about 911 are the men that show up to attend to you!!!  

• Like 1

Hi Kat, thanks so much🙂 yes, it was not normal.    I have to say, I had actually gone to my GP earlier in the week

about some dark stool issues (trying to be tactful) and he had me go to Quest for labs......but then this happened

after that issue.  So this was really the 2nd event in a week....😦and being that I fell.....if I hadn't seen blood,

I might have just laid down and gone to sleep but some thoughts came over me and said what if I don't wake up?😲

So I just tried to sit for a few minutes and thought the best thing would be to call rescue......they came very

quickly.