for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

3 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

Lois, I think Kat & Melody mentioned a watch that will call 911 if you fall or are unconscious & can't get to the phone 🙂

Hope you're doing well, & hope yo can get that stain out of the carpet

Hi Debbie, small tv is better than no tv🙂............

And I missed that post about the watch. I will google it.....sounds like something I might be interested in..............

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Debbie, small tv is better than no tv🙂............

And I missed that post about the watch. I will google it.....sounds like something I might be interested in..............

They are referring to an Apple Watch. There are several models. My husband just purchased one of the lower-end models which doesn’t have the feature that calls when you fall. Perhaps Kat will share what she learned when she gets back from the Apple store.

16 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I know what you mean. I have been pretty much in lockdown since this whole she-bang got started, and twice now I have gotten to a place where it's hard to feel happy/good/cheerful about anything -- especially when things look just as grim as they have; no real light at the end of the tunnel...  It's hard not to be mad at those who go out and keep the pandemic going. 

Both times I have just kept going and eventually the mood lifted. I have to say, though, that I feel really weary (from work stress but also COVID stress). It's been hard not seeing my parents (88 and 94!) or sister, not going to work and seeing my colleagues that I've worked with for close to 20 years, etc.   I'm very lucky to have my adult son with me -- he was living at home when this all started and is still here. 

Without travel in the near-term to look forward to, a lot of my day-to-day joy of living is missing though...

I hope you are able to turn the corner -- just remember:

image.png.0a5397d324b3d3d040fd0c662e0df09d.png

Hi Cynthia, today is a bit better, I think birthdays, anniversaries, are difficult (for me at least)  

I completely understand what you're saying about those everyday joys that are missing, planning travel, going out to lunch with friends, etc.   

But you're right, eventually this will pass, & we will travel again, just differently for a couple of years.  :)

Glad that you have your son with you, & still have your work.    I still have mine too, but it's not the same without the fun parts in the before times of fun lunches, cocktail hours, etc.   

ps:  the limoncello was soooo good!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Sounds like you had an interesting career. Now I get the slidergirl.

Flu shot - get them every year, but I did learn about the high dose on here, thanks.

Shingles and pneumonia vaccine shots are on my list to talk to my dr about to set up the appt.

Renee, good catch on her user name, how did I not see that ???   :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

Debbie, that’s a ciber hug! Apparently that isn’t a word or I’m not spelling it correctly. Autocorrect turned into “fiber”🙄

I'll take a fiber hug, my colon says "thank you"  lol ;)

18 hours ago, Sailor_Sally said:

Sharon , Sorry you are having a bad day . I miss my daughter and grandkids so much . I really thought things would be better in October .

Sally, I did too, I hope you can come up with a safe way to see them, or at least lots of FaceTime, which I know is not the same... cyber hugs to you :)  this too shall pass, just not soon enough :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi Kat, I must have totally missed a full post............what watch are you referring to?

It's the Apple Watch 6.   I live in the Apple ecosphere (MacBook Pro, iPhone SE, iPad Mini), so I thought the Watch could be a good pick since you can sync everything.  

1 hour ago, cruise kitty said:

lol, at first it autocorrected to that 🙂   I feel like if Oxytocin's can't get something out, nothing can.   

That's so cool that you worked with the Olympic teams,  the only thing I know about the sledding portions is the movie Cool Runnings....  I didn't realize that there are 3 different sledding events (is sledding the correct term)   

How is the air doing out your way?  the wind has shifted here & brought back the smoke, but it's not too bad.  

& TV wise, I don't know if I mentioned it, but our tv went out last Wednesday,  hopefully the repair person will be here by friday, but until then we are like that old redneck tv on top of broken tv joke....  I moved a little cabinet under the broke tv to try & be semi civilized, but  our old 28 inch tv is definitely no substitute. :classic_tongue:

IMG_1126.thumb.JPG.170f028fab2e24d2fa173c75ce9e3a60.JPG

It's the "sliding" sports.  The US is actually the only one that says "bobsled" - everyone else says "bobsleigh."  

The Jamaicans were a fun group - always happy.  I met just one of the original team.  But, the 2002 team gave me a Jamaican Bobsleigh Team baseball hat with "Scabbardgirl" on the back.  I got tagged "scabbardgirl" in Innsbruck Austria when the guys would yell at me "Scabbardgirl" when they wanted me to bring their runner covers (called scabbards) to them at the Finish.  I DO know the coach.  He was actually from Park City and we all knew him.  He's nowhere near John Candy size - he's maybe 5'6 and not chunky!  He was a bobsled pilot back in the 80s.  Good stories.  Good memories.  Good souvenirs.  From the baseball hats from teams to Tshirts from teams to (name drop coming), the photo with Prince Albert of Monaco hugging me.  Yes, Albert was a bobsleigh pilot for Monaco.  His pushers were also his security team.  They were all so nice and personable.  And, they loved to raid the candy bowl I brought out at the end of the races!!!  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

It's the Apple Watch 6.   I live in the Apple ecosphere (MacBook Pro, iPhone SE, iPad Mini), so I thought the Watch could be a good pick since you can sync everything.  

Hi Kat, oh....ok.........I own nothing in the Apple world. I have an HP laptop and an android phone. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

Renee, good catch on her user name, how did I not see that ???   🙂

I've always been curious what some of the names mean and why people choose them. Mine is obvious and not very creative.

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

I've always been curious what some of the names mean and why people choose them. Mine is obvious and not very creative.

Mine too.......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

@slidergirl Kat, you should write a memoir, or a blog about those days,  you've had some amazing experiences!  Next time the winter Olympics are being held, I'm going to watch the "Sliding" sports & think of you 🙂

Between that and my "experiences" working the Front Desk and being a Concierge at luxury hotels where "A" listers from Entertainment and Politics vacation and have their fundraisers, it would be a barn burner!!  

Next Winter Olympics will be (maybe) in Beijing.  Many of the sliders I worked with as athletes are now the coaches!  So, I still get to see a bunch of them on TV.  

• Like 3

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Apple Watch 6.  Silver aluminum body with white band.  Cried as I put down my Apple Credit card.  But, it is not the most expensive watch I've bought: that was an Omega Seamaster Titanium & 18kt gold that  picked up in St. Thomas.  I've got the watch all set up and synced to my iPhone.  I LOVE it when electronics are self-intuitive when you set them up.  It's on my wrist and ready to play.  I used the pulse ox feature - I was 94.  It did put a note that this was done at high altitude, so nice to see it lets you know that.  The ECG I did and was, as expected, normal.  My pulse rate is a bit high, but it's been that way lately.  At least I now have a new toy to occupy my time!

Yes I did stop by TJ's to pick up some more salad and a $2.99 pumpkin.  No, I didn't go to Shake Shack.   

• Like 2

Kat you got the same watch as our daughter. She loves it. I bet that Seamaster is beautiful!  I gave my Dad’s 1950 Seamaster to our son with the provision that he never sell it ( it’s worth a few $$$ ) 

Lois. If you do Android check out the Samsung Smart Watch. I’m not sure, but I think they have the 911 feature too. I’m all Apple too.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Help! I'm peeling my lemons for limoncello. Am I getting to much plinth on the piece on the top? The bottom piece I used a veggie peeler which I'm thinking might not be getting enough peel.

20201006_192628.jpg

Hi Renee, mine looked the same, but i used a sharp paring knife to scrape the white stuff off the back.   :)

9 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning🙂.......oh, I know what that is.....maybe I am confused.  I don't need anything for my heart. I thought

you were recommending something like a button if an emergency arises.....what happened to me was a horrific

stomach issue. 

The Apple smart watch has a feature that actually calls 911 for you. If you fall on the floor (which it sounds like you might have done) it will ask if you want it to call 911 & dial it for you. You can talk to 911 on the watch too

On 10/5/2020 at 5:19 PM, cruise kitty said:

Hi Sharon,  I'm sorry you're having a rough time, & I totally understand 🙂   I haven't posted much lately because I've been filled with doom & gloom & haven't had much nice to say...  however, today's our anniversary, (34 years)  & I decided to bottle up my limoncello a few days early...  so it's in the freezer now, & we'll have some with our dinner tonight...  I hope things brighten up for you a bit soon.   I know you miss your kids, & this is so hard to do, especially when it seems like lots of folks are living like this isn't going on.  

Anyhow take care,  XXXX, & hugs to you.

& Hi to everyone else too & a hug if you need it 🙂

-Debbie

IMG_1146.thumb.jpg.209bf38273f3519f72f49c247f69b9e2.jpg

Very pretty. I have to ask--the two outside bottles look suspiciously like Patron tequila bottles.

I can't wait to bottle mine--I'm still two months out. I used a recipe that takes 80 days.

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

The Apple smart watch has a feature that actually calls 911 for you. If you fall on the floor (which it sounds like you might have done) it will ask if you want it to call 911 & dial it for you. You can talk to 911 on the watch too

Thanks for the explanation.

• Like 1

Limoncello sounds very interesting.  What is everyone's favorite way to use it?  Drink recipes?  

Life here has gotten busy so I have been wearing more jeans/tshirts/nicer shirts/ real shoes/nice sandals lately.  

My son came up to visit Monday for a nice lunch.  It is a little cooler so I made chicken tortilla soup and a pumpkin chiffon pie.

My knitting group has been meeting every week and with the slightly cooler weather I have been able to wear some of my hand knits to that.  Yippee.

My husband and I have been tackling some of our big outdoor projects and are rebuilding our pump house this week.

Plus, I have started to volunteer at a local rescue organization which will help me get rid of some of this covid weight.  I have already lost 2 lbs.  LOL

Getting my nails done again on Friday.

• Like 1

Well, looks like our last booked cruise for 2020 has been cancelled!  I have mixed feelings about it, part of me really wanted to go but not sure it would be a good idea to do so.  At least this has made the decision for me!  

We are supposed to drive up to VA later this month to help our daughter in law with the grandkids for a few days while our son is on the road but that may not happen with the WH infections so I guess we just wait and see. 

The limoncello sounds really good! I am thinking we should give it a try! And, Melody, the lobster roll looks amazing!

OOTD:  I am still wearing jammie pants and my “show your pride” t shirt.  Thinking about getting dressed 😂 but will put on exercise clothes.  Forgot to mention I got a haircut and color last Friday!  My stylist was willing to stay after closing, it was a nice feeling to get rid of my scraggly  and gray hair😂😂

Stay safe and healthy everyone!

Sherri🙂

• Like 1