Booking now for April 13 cruise too early...?

We're totally bummed to cancel our European river cruise next week, late March.
So now looking at earliest time frame to book an ocean cruise closer to home.

Just saw today on RCL's own website, that  they are  restarting their 7 day cruise out Galveston on April 13 at a great price.

Just seems a little early to me.

We're not too worried about the Coronavirus itself, but mostly worried being stuck onboard because of all the travel issues, & it being a 21 day quarantine cruise.
So what's your earliest prediction that Cononavirus will be mostly gone whereas ALL travel restrictions will be lifted & no travel hassles?

I wouldnt be rushing my friend. The best thing you can do right now is to monitor the situation and read the news. Why risking your money and time going on cruise that might stay in the middle of the ocean due to precautions taken by the on land authorities due to some info about a sick person on board. Stay at home and enjoy your stay by the TV. This is my piece of Advice

• Like 3

I think if we look at Italy at the moment, they are in full crisis mode. They are weeks ahead of the UK and US in terms of having the disease but are nowhere near to seeing an end to it. 

As much as any of us crave that holiday, this could very well be a lot longer and worse than we imagine. 

Stay safe everyone 😉

• Like 1

Way too early.  Late summer would be a best guess on when things may start to turn around.  RCL is being falsely optimistic about a cruise leaving 4/13/20.

The quicker we start to take "social distancing" seriously, the quicker we can get through this.  Americans are still not taking this seriously.  While you may not be worried about the virus for yourself, you can (and likely will) get it in some form and possibly spread it to someone else who DOES care about it because they are elderly or in fragile health.

Flatten the curve, people!

• Like 4

Way too early,  we have a trip April 12th and I’m waiting for Royal to cancel. Airlines already have. If other countries are indicators it’ll be months. And if people keep not taking it seriously even longer with worse outcomes. We’re watching it play out now very drastic differences between Italy and South Korea with how Covid-19 has been handled.

• Like 2

I'm keeping my reservation for May 11 and I'd sail tomorrow if I could. I'm slightly into the at-risk group: 61 years old and a smoker. But my wife and I are in excellent health and have practiced "safe cruising" for years and have never taken ill during or after a cruise.

For some real data, we should look at what happened on the Diamond Princess. There was a perfect storm for disease and death, yet even though the passengers and crew were unwilling experimental subjects, they have done all cruisers a huge service:

83% did not contract the disease.

Slightly less than half the passengers (48.6%) who got the disease showed NO symptoms.

There were a total of 7 deaths among those on board. All of them were in people over seventy.

So 1.7% died and we know nothing of their pre-existing conditions.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/03/16/diamond-princess-mysteries/

With passenger prescreening, "safe cruising " practices, and a little common sense, the Diamond Princess experiment will never be repeated.

For myself and my wife, we are not scared and will live our lives accordingly. We will also practice "safe citizenship" as we practice safe cruising while at sea.

• Like 1

If its too dangerous to start schools back up this school year, not much chance of cruising.

I booked again next winter/January and starting to think the virus will still be with us then. Just hopeful of a vaccine by then so its safer to live normal lives.

As far as now, we are basically shelter in place, but not enforceable imo. Some are and some ignoring it. Like churches, beaches  lots are still gathering.

Unless everyone follows rules, it will take longer to get rid of the virus. Just look at the new number of cases and deaths.

Edited by firefly333

49 minutes ago, blondie from arizona said:

Just to lend some positivity. Hopefully this virus, like the flu, dies out as the weather turns warmer.

I have read many comments similar to this lately. However, I live in Florida and the weather is already warm here, but that hasn’t stopped the spread of the virus here. 

1 hour ago, Sobro said:

I'm keeping my reservation for May 11 and I'd sail tomorrow if I could. I'm slightly into the at-risk group: 61 years old and a smoker. But my wife and I are in excellent health and have practiced "safe cruising" for years and have never taken ill during or after a cruise.

For some real data, we should look at what happened on the Diamond Princess. There was a perfect storm for disease and death, yet even though the passengers and crew were unwilling experimental subjects, they have done all cruisers a huge service:

83% did not contract the disease.

Slightly less than half the passengers (48.6%) who got the disease showed NO symptoms.

There were a total of 7 deaths among those on board. All of them were in people over seventy.

So 1.7% died and we know nothing of their pre-existing conditions.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/03/16/diamond-princess-mysteries/

With passenger prescreening, "safe cruising " practices, and a little common sense, the Diamond Princess experiment will never be repeated.

For myself and my wife, we are not scared and will live our lives accordingly. We will also practice "safe citizenship" as we practice safe cruising while at sea.

Personally I think it will be months before cruise ships start sailing again, although I would like to be wrong about this. If/when cruise ships start sailing again I think you will initially see strict guidelines on who can board a ship. Anyone in a higher risk category will likely be banned for the near future.  While I don’t think your age will restrict you, being a smoker likely has a high probability of keeping you from cruising. 

• Like 1