US LEVEL 4 NO INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL ALLOWED

JOHN474

I’m getting a kick out of the ‘its only an advisory’......got it. And of course, in a short while people who decided they would travel anyway because it’s ‘just an advisory’ will be on TV somewhere is Chile/France/Ireland/etc saying ‘how do I get home? Why doesn’t the US military come fly me home????’....and so on. And I don’t mean the posters here, because we can all get into nitpicking and giving each other English lessons, but most CC posters are experienced travelers and fully understand a State Dept Advisory. No putdown meant, but it does get a bit funny arguing whether the US Govt will not allow us to travel. Heck, there are Americans who traveled to North Korea and Iran for ‘fun’ and got into just a bit of trouble (usually by being just US citizens) and the families kept pressing and even blaming the US Govt for not doing more to get them out.

enough. We all understand what this Advisory means.

I’m kind of like a few others who have cancelled early on one cruise with Viking and getting a FCC which is fine since I’ll cruise with them again once things clear up, and now waiting (because I have a TA who is guiding me!) for another cruise line to cancel a cruise that obviously will not be made and I’ll get the full refund. And if not, I’ll get a mix of FCC/Refund, at least right now and that may change to full refunds. This is on a Line that I may not go on again soon so a refund works better. And I realize cruise lines don’t print their own money so full refunds are realllllllly tough.

By the way, I bought $200 worth of Romanian Leu and $200 worth of Hungarian Forint for my cancelled river cruise......anybody need any?????

Den

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

The real question is how long will the ban be in force?.  We are still holding our booking for May 18, 2020 with the hope it gets canceled and we can get the cash back.  Then there are the airfares and change fees that would be waived.... Lots of questions and nothing to do but wait and see.  Thank you Celebrity for giving us that very generous 48 hour window.  It really helps with the waiting game.

Australia went to a level 4 a few days ago. Our PM suggested it was likely for 6 months  but did not give an end date. 

Qantas will cease all international flying in a week for an unspecified time. One state will no longer accept travellers from the mainland. We are in lockdown. 

There were rumours it was going to Level 4 for about 24 hours prior. Started by telling all Australians to get home immediately. 

The headline of this thread is absolutely correct. 

Edited by Pushka

13 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

I’m getting a kick out of the ‘its only an advisory’......got it. And of course, in a short while people who decided they would travel anyway because it’s ‘just an advisory’ will be on TV somewhere is Chile/France/Ireland/etc saying ‘how do I get home? Why doesn’t the US military come fly me home????’....and so on. And I don’t mean the posters here, because we can all get into nitpicking and giving each other English lessons, but most CC posters are experienced travelers and fully understand a State Dept Advisory. No putdown meant, but it does get a bit funny arguing whether the US Govt will not allow us to travel. Heck, there are Americans who traveled to North Korea and Iran for ‘fun’ and got into just a bit of trouble (usually by being just US citizens) and the families kept pressing and even blaming the US Govt for not doing more to get them out.

enough. We all understand what this Advisory means.

I’m kind of like a few others who have cancelled early on one cruise with Viking and getting a FCC which is fine since I’ll cruise with them again once things clear up, and now waiting (because I have a TA who is guiding me!) for another cruise line to cancel a cruise that obviously will not be made and I’ll get the full refund. And if not, I’ll get a mix of FCC/Refund, at least right now and that may change to full refunds. This is on a Line that I may not go on again soon so a refund works better. And I realize cruise lines don’t print their own money so full refunds are realllllllly tough.

By the way, I bought $200 worth of Romanian Leu and $200 worth of Hungarian Forint for my cancelled river cruise......anybody need any?????

Den

Den - I agree with your comments. My complaint is the difference between a ban on travel (like North Korea where travel is not legal) and an advisory not to travel is not semantics.  The OP also posted what at that point was rumored. Not fact! There is way to much of that going on today.

I disagree that reading the headline that everyone would understand today that I can still travel to Canada on business - I am not concerned at all with getting home.  Canada's issue today involves Canadians losing their insurance on Sunday because of the pandemic (similar to trip insurance discussed on CC) if they are out of the country.  

2 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

There are 5 stages to grief:  denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance.  Lots of people are still in the first stage.

So true.  And if you are on or have been on a cruise the last week or so that can't find a place to port or a place to disembark, you get to stage 5 pronto.

I am glad I posted this alert a few hours ago.

Some of what it means ...

The Level 4: Do Not Travel advisory "advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19."
The State Department urged Americans "in countries where commercial departure options remain available" to "arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period." 
The updated advisory also cautioned US citizens living abroad to "avoid all international travel."

The US Government is making it clear.... if you don't get home soon, you may be stranded and on your own for a long time, in a foreign country.  Depending on the country, this could be very risky.  Also, each country will have their hands full, with their own residents. Where are you going to stay?  Most hotels are closing down? Most airlines are barely flying?

For the indefinite future, all cruises will need to be cancelled. The disclaimers you need to sign already are pages long. With some many folks infected and not showing symptoms, cruise ships will have infected individuals and no country will allow them to let passengers off.

It is hard to imagine, under the circumstances, ANY cruise line, continuing to sale, for months.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, JOHN474 said:

For the indefinite future, all cruises will need to be cancelled. The disclaimers you need to sign already are pages long. With some many folks infected and not showing symptoms, cruise ships will have infected individuals and no country will allow them to let passengers off.

It is hard to imagine, under the circumstances, ANY cruise line, continuing to sale, for months.

This is the whole point.  I am really tired of hearing "ALL passengers will be screened on embarkation so we will be on a really healthy ship."  Hello? Meet the real world: 

Passenger 1 is infected with COVID-19 3 days before the sailing and shows absolutely no symptoms.  Temperature check at embarkation port, perfectly normal.  Passenger 1 interacts with hundreds of passengers.  Shaking hands.  Close quarters at the CC gathering.  Shares a table in the sky lounge with others.  Uses the tongs in the Oceanview cafe.  Dozens of pax use said tongs.  Shares a 6 top in the MDR with others.

Day 4 of the cruise, full blown symptoms.

"Nuff said.

• Like 4

Agreed. Dr Sanjay Gupta on CNN right now. Just stated that 80% of individuals that get infected, get it from individuals that do NOT know they have it, and are NOT showing symptoms.  This says it all. The risk of getting infected on a cruise ship and or the risk of being stranded, has increased exponentially.

Every DR on cable news, TV, US CV Task Force, FDA, CDC give the same warnings. I am quite sure, Dr's and health authorities in all other countries are communicating the same messages.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Alfred E Newman, here.  😉

I'm at the "whatever" stage.

Ruth,

There are probably quite a few folks out there that are too young to know who Alfred E. Newman was.  😁

7 hours ago, az_tchr said:

Airlines are flying. Limited flights from LAX to Vancouver.

The travel ban now is the US/Canada border. One way traffic for the public. No shopping or tourism and 14 day quarantine in Canada on return.

Would presume you 5/18 cruise will be cancelled.

I am assuming our 5/11 on Millennium will be cancelled. She embarks in Seattle, a hot spot, and disembarks in Vancouver, which doesn't want her. I'm holding out for the refund.

36 minutes ago, Texed said:

Ruth,

There are probably quite a few folks out there that are too young to know who Alfred E. Newman was.  😁

He's not dead yet!

42 minutes ago, Texed said:

Ruth,

Forgot the visual....

What, me worry?

t_500x300.jpg

23 hours ago, JOHN474 said:

President Trump just announced (1220 PM EST Wednesday) that Carnival has offered its Carnival ships to house patients, as needed , in cities such as NYC.  Celebrity & RCL should offer to do the same with all the ships are idled by imminent cancellations. Celebrity should cancel immediately ...and not wait to the last minute to cancel cruises.

The Grand Princess experience is not a good example to follow.  Why would an earlier warning not to get on a cruise ship because of the risk of spread on board now call for sending the sick there/