US LEVEL 4 NO INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL ALLOWED

JOHN474

I read on FOX news it was announced by the US State Department.

After doing search on Google, It appears announcement is imminent.

According to KRON4 TV station ...

Coronavirus: The Latest

State Department issues highest-level travel advisory instructing Americans abroad to come home

by: Alexa Mae Asperin

Posted: Mar 19, 2020 / 08:20 AM PDT/ Updated: Mar 19, 2020 / 08:20 AM PDT

SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) – The U.S. State Department is expected to soon announce a Level 4 Travel Advisory applying to all international travel, Politico reports. 

The advisory urges all Americans abroad to either return to the United States or prepare to shelter-in-place as the coronavirus pandemic continues to spread globally. 

Under the advisory, Americans would be instructed not to travel internationally.

US State Department is preparing to raise travel advisory to highest level: DO NOT TRAVEL

From CNN's Kylie Atwood

The State Department is preparing to raise its travel advisory worldwide to Level 4: Do Not Travel – the highest level — in the face of the coronavirus pandemic. 

Four sources told CNN that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had approved a Level 4 advisory. 

Late last Wednesday, the advisory was raised globally to Level 3: Reconsider Travel “due to the global impact of COVID-19.”

Politico was the first to report the heightened advisory level. CNN has reached out to the State Department for comment. 

Another source told CNN that the move would be aimed at curtailing Americans’ travel abroad and to get those who are traveling to come home.

So how are we going to get home from San Diego when this cruise to nowhere finally ends?  Still being held by the uncooperative Chileans off the coast of Valparaiso.  We have lost 5 precious days in getting home because of them.  No one sick on board, so maybe we're lucky to be here in our safe little bubble, being treated royally by Celebrity.

In retrospect, I wish I had NOT cancelled 5  B2B cruises for partial Cash Refund & partial FCC.

It is obvious now, Celebrity will be cancelling all cruises worldwide for several months.

It makes absolutely no sense to cancel for a 100% FCC, when it is imminent that Celebrity will be cancelling cruises worldwide, and subsequently issuing cash refunds. 

Wish I had held out for the 100% cash refund .... congratulations to those of you that made the smarter decision to hold out for cancellation and 100% cash refund!

• Like 3

The real question is how long will the ban be in force?.  We are still holding our booking for May 18, 2020 with the hope it gets canceled and we can get the cash back.  Then there are the airfares and change fees that would be waived.... Lots of questions and nothing to do but wait and see.  Thank you Celebrity for giving us that very generous 48 hour window.  It really helps with the waiting game.

• Like 1

President Trump just announced (1220 PM EST Wednesday) that Carnival has offered its Carnival ships to house patients, as needed , in cities such as NYC.  Celebrity & RCL should offer to do the same with all the ships are idled by imminent cancellations. Celebrity should cancel immediately ...and not wait to the last minute to cancel cruises.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

So how are we going to get home from San Diego when this cruise to nowhere finally ends?  Still being held by the uncooperative Chileans off the coast of Valparaiso.  We have lost 5 precious days in getting home because of them.  No one sick on board, so maybe we're lucky to be here in our safe little bubble, being treated royally by Celebrity.

Maybe rent a car and drive back to Vancouver if you can't fly into your country? The border closures are in place but you would be allowed into your own country. Good luck with that. But, you still have ten days or so before you get back to San Diego, yes?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JOHN474 said:

Guess this means, all cruises will now be cancelled. If you can not travel to the port, or home from the port, how can you have cruises?

John - your post is a bit confusing as inside the USA we see CDC travel warnings. The CDC has 3 levels.  Not 4.  It also is not in place!

All cruises by members of CLIA are already cancelled for 3 more weeks.  Cruiselines are waiting till they complete the last group of cancellations before doing the next batch.

Except in a couple of limited areas one can travel as needed. Here are encouraged to drive to a park to hike or? Airlines still flying.

Edited by az_tchr
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, JOHN474 said:

President Trump just announced (1220 PM EST Wednesday) that Carnival has offered its Carnival ships to house patients, as needed , in cities such as NYC.  Celebrity & RCL should offer to do the same with all the ships are idled by imminent cancellations. Celebrity should cancel immediately ...and not wait to the last minute to cancel cruises.

I heard that too.  Good for them.

President Trump said "Carnival Cruise Lines" a couple of times.

To the individual who communicated The US State Department does not have a Level 4 warning.

The following is from the US State Department website:

Safety and Security Messaging

• file

We have made it easy for you to get clear, timely, and reliable safety and security information about every country in the world and access it at home or on the go via our mobile-friendly website, travel.state.gov.

Take Us With You Wherever You Go Abroad

The mission of the Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs is to protect the lives and serve the interests of U.S. citizens abroad. We provide information to help you assess for yourself the risks of international travel and what steps to take to ensure your safety when you decide to go abroad.

Before You Go

You can access all of our safety and security information on one country page. So before you travel, check our Travel Advisory and Alerts for your destination(s) at travel.state.gov/destination. Be sure to read further country-specific details on the same page that could affect your travel, such as entry/exit requirements, local laws and customs, health conditions, transportation, and other relevant topics.

ALL /

Travel Advisory 

We issue a Travel Advisory for each country of the world. Travel Advisories follow a consistent format and use plain language to help U.S. citizens find and use important security information. Travel Advisories apply up to four standard levels of advice, describe the risks, and provide clear actions U.S. citizens should take to help ensure their safety.

To see a complete list of Travel Advisories for every country in the world, see travel.state.gov/traveladvisories.  Click on our color-coded world map at travelmaps.state.gov for a global view.

Levels 1-4

The Travel Advisory appears at the top of each country page, with a color corresponding to each level: 

travel-levelv1.svg

Level 1 - Exercise Normal Precautions: This is the lowest advisory level for safety and security risk. There is some risk in any international travel. Conditions in other countries may differ from those in the United States and may change at any time.       

Level 2 - Exercise Increased Caution: Be aware of heightened risks to safety and security. The Department of State provides additional advice for travelers in these areas in the Travel Advisory. Conditions in any country may change at any time.  

Level 3 - Reconsider Travel: Avoid travel due to serious risks to safety and security. The Department of State provides additional advice for travelers in these areas in the Travel Advisory. Conditions in any country may change at any time. 

Level 4 – Do Not Travel: This is the highest advisory level due to greater likelihood of life-threatening risks. During an emergency, the U.S. government may have very limited ability to provide assistance. The Department of State advises that U.S. citizens not travel to the country or to leave as soon as it is safe to do so. The Department of State provides additional advice for travelers in these areas in the Travel Advisory. Conditions in any country may change at any time.   

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Mr. Click said:

The real question is how long will the ban be in force?.  We are still holding our booking for May 18, 2020 with the hope it gets canceled and we can get the cash back.  Then there are the airfares and change fees that would be waived.... Lots of questions and nothing to do but wait and see.  Thank you Celebrity for giving us that very generous 48 hour window.  It really helps with the waiting game.

Airlines are flying. Limited flights from LAX to Vancouver.

The travel ban now is the US/Canada border. One way traffic for the public. No shopping or tourism and 14 day quarantine in Canada on return.

Would presume you 5/18 cruise will be cancelled.

4 minutes ago, JOHN474 said:

To the individual who communicated The US State Department does not have a Level 4 warning.

The following is from the US State Department website:

Safety and Security Messaging

• file

We have made it easy for you to get clear, timely, and reliable safety and security information about every country in the world and access it at home or on the go via our mobile-friendly website, travel.state.gov.

Take Us With You Wherever You Go Abroad

The mission of the Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs is to protect the lives and serve the interests of U.S. citizens abroad. We provide information to help you assess for yourself the risks of international travel and what steps to take to ensure your safety when you decide to go abroad.

Before You Go

You can access all of our safety and security information on one country page. So before you travel, check our Travel Advisory and Alerts for your destination(s) at travel.state.gov/destination. Be sure to read further country-specific details on the same page that could affect your travel, such as entry/exit requirements, local laws and customs, health conditions, transportation, and other relevant topics.

ALL /

Travel Advisory 

We issue a Travel Advisory for each country of the world. Travel Advisories follow a consistent format and use plain language to help U.S. citizens find and use important security information. Travel Advisories apply up to four standard levels of advice, describe the risks, and provide clear actions U.S. citizens should take to help ensure their safety.

To see a complete list of Travel Advisories for every country in the world, see travel.state.gov/traveladvisories.  Click on our color-coded world map at travelmaps.state.gov for a global view.

Levels 1-4

The Travel Advisory appears at the top of each country page, with a color corresponding to each level: 

travel-levelv1.svg

Level 1 - Exercise Normal Precautions: This is the lowest advisory level for safety and security risk. There is some risk in any international travel. Conditions in other countries may differ from those in the United States and may change at any time.       

Level 2 - Exercise Increased Caution: Be aware of heightened risks to safety and security. The Department of State provides additional advice for travelers in these areas in the Travel Advisory. Conditions in any country may change at any time.  

Level 3 - Reconsider Travel: Avoid travel due to serious risks to safety and security. The Department of State provides additional advice for travelers in these areas in the Travel Advisory. Conditions in any country may change at any time. 

Level 4 – Do Not Travel: This is the highest advisory level due to greater likelihood of life-threatening risks. During an emergency, the U.S. government may have very limited ability to provide assistance. The Department of State advises that U.S. citizens not travel to the country or to leave as soon as it is safe to do so. The Department of State provides additional advice for travelers in these areas in the Travel Advisory. Conditions in any country may change at any time.   

John - if a Level 4 ADVISORY is put in place which it is NOT - it does not ban travel. It says you should not travel because of high risks. There is no travel

ban and Trump - who could close our borders - said he would not ban travel at this time. 

Our May 18 cruise is from Dublin, IE, July 3 is from Vancouver......some how part of my original post has gone missing or I am simply losing wha little bit of my mind lis left.   I am betting on May 18 being canceled and taking advantage of the 48 hour window to wait and see. July 3 will be cancelled on April 1 when final payment is due.  

1 minute ago, az_tchr said:

John - if a Level 4 ADVISORY is put in place which it is NOT - it does not ban travel. It says you should not travel because of high risks. There is no travel

ban and Trump - who could close our borders - said he would not ban travel at this time. 

OK. Partly semantics.... Who in the world would travel, if the US State Department issues a Level 4 Advisory or warning?I'm sure insurance companies will void all coverage.

I'm sure the risk of being stranded exponentially increases.

I'm sure this will push Celebrity to extend cruise cancellations.

They announced on TV this is the highest level of ALERT.  I'm no aware of any higher level?

A LEVEL 4 - DO NOT TRAVEL advisory from the Department of State is exactly that, an advisory. As I understand it, State has no ability on its own to promulgate or enforce a travel ban, which is why Trump will be meeting with State later today to discuss the options of State issuing a Level 4 travel advisory and the Administration instituting a travel ban. Given the European ban and the Canada-US border closure about to come into effect, I see no reason to think that that a temporary ban of this nature isn't a distinct possibility. 

15 minutes ago, JOHN474 said:

OK. Partly semantics.... Who in the world would travel, if the US State Department issues a Level 4 Advisory or warning?I'm sure insurance companies will void all coverage.

They announced on TV this is the highest level of ALERT.  I'm no aware of any higher level?

All correct.  And there is no higher level.  Speaking from someone who spent almost 2 weeks bobbing around the Indian Ocean and the Arabian Sea looking for a place to accept us, and then having a good bit of difficulty getting home, this would be more than enough to stop me from traveling, even though it technically might not BAN it, who in the world would travel?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, JOHN474 said:

John - The problem is a Level 4 ADVISORY is advice. It does not ban travel. As of now it does not exist.

I do agree that travel outside the US would not be a good idea with or without the advisory today.

Your post is misleading. Ok. A request to correct would be a good idea.

Edited by az_tchr
Asking OP to correct
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, JOHN474 said:

I would drive to Florida from ATL to get on a cruise..not scared in the least.