some good news in Italy

Markanddonna

3 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

Unfortunately 600+ people there have died in the last 24 hours and people are still flouting the quarantines. Signs of things to come in the US.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

Yes, I also follow that great website. It is heartbreaking.  The most important thing to me is to see that the USA is doing much better per capita than the vast majority of first world nations. Yes, learn from Italy.  I had a dear friend who so wanted to go to Italy to visit her son on March 19.  I was trying to convince her not to go and tell her of the dangers but here son In Bologna kept saying that Milan was far away. In reality, it is a two hour drive.  Fool! He was more concerned about the poor retailers and restaurants losing their business.  Now, he is holed up in his apartment with a wife and two small children. Personally, I have the hardest time during this outbreak with the decisions made by foolish people as they traveled. I wonder what will happen to those on the few transatlantics who left before the ban?  I began my shelter in place last Friday because I'm privileged to be older and not required to work.  I don't want to be a burden to others because of my poor decisions!

• Like 6

On 3/20/2020 at 7:26 PM, Markanddonna said:

Personally, I have the hardest time during this outbreak with the decisions made by foolish people as they traveled. I wonder what will happen to those on the few transatlantics who left before the ban?  I began my shelter in place last Friday because I'm privileged to be older and not required to work.  I don't want to be a burden to others because of my poor decisions!

People are morons.

A friend is house sitting this week.  The owner flew to Florida to attend a wedding.

REALLY????

14 minutes ago, SRF said:

People are morons.

A friend is house sitting this week.  The owner flew to Florida to attend a wedding.

REALLY????

And they put US at risk as well as themselves.  Makes me REALLY angry,

11 hours ago, SRF said:

People are morons.

REALLY????

I wish everyone takes this health crisis seriously! I mean they can do whatever they want if it will only affect them but they are putting everyone else at risk with their irresponsible ways. How hard it is to just stay home, really? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

Remember that old saying, "You Can't Fix Stupid":classic_rolleyes::classic_angry::classic_sad:...…..some folks are just stupid!!!!!!!!

And I'm more and more thinking "you can't open a closed mind."

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 7:26 PM, Markanddonna said:

Yes, I also follow that great website. It is heartbreaking.  The most important thing to me is to see that the USA is doing much better per capita than the vast majority of first world nations.

That number is meaningless.  We got hit after them and have a larger population. We have the highest growth rate of any country.  NYC metro area is going to be in worse than Northern Italy by early next week.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ed01106 said:

That number is meaningless.  We got hit after them and have a larger population. We have the highest growth rate of any country.  NYC metro area is going to be in worse than Northern Italy by early next week.

Yes, and as of today the US now has the highest reported number of cases of COVID-19. 

• Like 1

Just now, cruisemom42 said:

Yes, and as of today the US now has the highest reported number of cases of COVID-19. 

Wow, this morning when I ran the numbers this morning  predicted we would pass Italy on Saturday and China on Tuesday. These numbers is significantly worse than my worse case predictions.

1 minute ago, ed01106 said:

Wow, this morning when I ran the numbers this morning  predicted we would pass Italy on Saturday and China on Tuesday. These numbers is significantly worse than my worse case predictions.

Agreed. It looks very bad unless we start seeing some flattening effects soon.

• Like 1

We have many more untested cases in the U.S. Our state health experts have put out an advisory for people to not get tested unless they have severe symptoms. They're telling people with mild symptoms to self-quarantine and monitor themselves and to wait to see if they get much worse. 

On 3/21/2020 at 2:17 AM, AdoraBelle said:

Unfortunately 600+ people there have died in the last 24 hours and people are still flouting the quarantines. Signs of things to come in the US.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

"The best way to convince a fool that he is wrong is to let him have his own way" or, in our case, ban absolutely everything. There is no difference. Stupidity always finds a way out, unfortunately

On 3/26/2020 at 4:21 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Funny how we bounce from total numbers to per capita numbers, according to which puts the US in a worse light.  The magic power of this virus is how it reveals to us who the awful people are, and just how awful they are.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Funny how we bounce from total numbers to per capita numbers, according to which puts the US in a worse light.  The magic power of this virus is how it reveals to us who the awful people are, and just how awful they are.

I agree with the last sentence.  Too many people focusing on petty politics, personal gains, finger pointing & even hate when we should all be focused on getting past this pandemic.   

And of course, hindsight is incredibly accurate.  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 7:12 PM, Markanddonna said:

Samaritan's Purse flew over an entire field hospital and set it up next to a desperate hospital in Milan. They also sent doctors, nurses, and supplies. This group is always right there in an emergency. 

https://www.samaritanspurse.org/article/field-hospital-opens-receives-patients-in-italy/

Yes, Good news

Thank you for sharing this   with  us.

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

I agree with the last sentence.  Too many people focusing on petty politics, personal gains, finger pointing & even hate when we should all be focused on getting past this pandemic.   

Edited by sail7seas

18 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Per capita, we are about 10th in the list of countries.

17 hours ago, ldubs said:

To be fair there was so much forwarning that it isn't really surprising that people expected western nations to be better prepared😕.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

To be fair there was so much forwarning that it isn't really surprising that people expected western nations to be better prepared😕.

Surprising?  Not really.  Certainly, looking back there are many things that could have been done better and hopefully will result in better preparedness in the future.  But IMO, there is too much Monday morning quarterbacking going on.

About there being plenty of forewarning, I don’t know.  Maybe our expectations are unrealistic.    

It is mind boggling how fast this crises developed.

A potential new virus is identified in China in late December.  

In January CDC and WHO take several steps including airport screening and developing test protocols & test kits. Kits are distributed to select places in US with capacity to test 32,000.  First travel advisories and bans are implemented.  NIH is working on a vaccine.  

January 23, WHO says there is no need for international concern about CV.  By the end of January, WHO announces a global emergency but says it does not recommend limits to travel or trade.  January 30, CDC says risk to American public is low.  

On Feb 26 the CDC announces the first case of CV in the US with an unknown origin.  In early March, CDC removes restrictions on who can be tested. Fed gov’t releases $8 billions in funding.   On March 11 WHO says this is a pandemic.  Mar 13, US declares state of emergency to release another $50 billion.  March 16, first human test of experimental CV vaccine.  

Mid march there were 3,000 cases in the US.  

We all know what has happened in the last two weeks.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Surprising?  Not really.  Certainly, looking back there are many things that could have been done better and hopefully will result in better preparedness in the future.  But IMO, there is too much Monday morning quarterbacking going on.

About there being plenty of forewarning, I don’t know.  Maybe our expectations are unrealistic.    

It is mind boggling how fast this crises developed.

A potential new virus is identified in China in late December.  

In January CDC and WHO take several steps including airport screening and developing test protocols & test kits. Kits are distributed to select places in US with capacity to test 32,000.  First travel advisories and bans are implemented.  NIH is working on a vaccine.  

January 23, WHO says there is no need for international concern about CV.  By the end of January, WHO announces a global emergency but says it does not recommend limits to travel or trade.  January 30, CDC says risk to American public is low.  

On Feb 26 the CDC announces the first case of CV in the US with an unknown origin.  In early March, CDC removes restrictions on who can be tested. Fed gov’t releases $8 billions in funding.   On March 11 WHO says this is a pandemic.  Mar 13, US declares state of emergency to release another $50 billion.  March 16, first human test of experimental CV vaccine.  

Mid march there were 3,000 cases in the US.  

We all know what has happened in the last two weeks.   

We had well over month longer to prepare for this virus than China.  We had a few weeks longer than S Korea and at least a week longer than Italy.

China was caught by surprise. The US government made a decision to ignore the warnings.  Yet despite the fact China had no warning, unlike the USA, they did a better job at containment.  China made multiple mistakes and did numerous things wrong, but overall their response was better than ours.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

We had well over month longer to prepare for this virus than China.  We had a few weeks longer than S Korea and at least a week longer than Italy.

China was caught by surprise. The US government made a decision to ignore the warnings.  Yet despite the fact China had no warning, unlike the USA, they did a better job at containment.  China made multiple mistakes and did numerous things wrong, but overall their response was better than ours.

I may not agree with some of the things you present as factual.  I don't know whether China did better.  What I do recognize is they virus hit the world fast and hard. My post simply laid out the timeline.   I have no desire to get into finger pointing.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ldubs said:

Surprising?  Not really. 

I for one do find it surprising. Taiwan even WHO has commended for their fast and effective response to COVID 19, South Korea flattened the curve in record time, even Singapore who was looking like it was about to go Wuhan status managed to slow down the spread. You have countries that have discovered effective strategies to fight the infection rate. One of those strategies that WHO recommended early on was to test as much as possible this should have indicated to Western nations to start stock piling test kits and instead we are rationing them out because there is not enough. It does kind of feel like the West was asleep at the wheel with this one.

• Like 1