P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 minute ago, Host Sharon said:

Thread drift is fine on this post but not where someone has asked a specific question etc.  One newby's legitimate query got totally hijacked by two people and that isn't fair to them. 

Thank you for explaining

Hello all, interesting this forum was down yesterday , my internet kept playing up at home which caused me problems for work!! Oops!

Re vamps wanting her children to stay with her, I always felt like that at the end of the summer holidays 😊

Too much to quote but hope all operations, jobs etc go well.

My WFH rota is now up to 18/9 so I’m here for at least 3 more weeks!

• Like 4

Our topic drift on here has been happy, fun and quite often very supportive.  Other Cruise Sections have not been so lucky.

As there are no cruises to report on, if we stayed precisely on topic we would have hardly anything to post on.

I, for one, am extremely grateful to you for a bit of lightheartedness in these troubled times.

I sincerely hope all those with illness, operations, and problems are ok soon.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 8/25/2020 at 9:24 PM, grapau27 said:

+1

We also have regular visits from Sparrow Hawks and our Blackbirds seem to be in decline has a result.

We have lots of Sparrows and Starlings but Thrushes are very rare these days.

It would a poor world without our Birds.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, kalos said:

Seems a reasonable complaint Andy :classic_wink:

images.jpg.3fa8b755024872854998e57a4f62746f.jpg Never mind Avril,I would visit you  :classic_smile::classic_biggrin:

This morning is trying to brighten up around here 19 deg C .

Looking out to our garden it had an eerrie silence and not a bird in sight then at the top of 

our garden was  a sparrowhawk sat cleaning his feathers,we had a visit off one last year .

Poor sparrow did not know what hit it .

Anyway two flaps of it's wings and it was gone and all the birds are coming out to play again .

Have a nice day everyone .:classic_smile:

We have a regular visit by a Sparrow Hawk and it makes me feel guilty because I put out seed,nuts and fat balls to attract birds and then along comes the Sparrow Hawk and takes one or eats it on our lawn. You are right it does go eerily quiet when Sparrow Hawk is around and dont know where all the birds disappear too but they do very quickly and quietly. It is the circle of life I suppose.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

Our topic drift on here has been happy, fun and quite often very supportive.  Other Cruise Sections have not been so lucky.

As there are no cruises to report on, if we stayed precisely on topic we would have hardly anything to post on.

I, for one, am extremely grateful to you for a bit of lightheartedness in these troubled times.

I sincerely hope all those with illness, operations, and problems are ok soon.

Thank you.

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

We have a regular visit by a Sparrow Hawk and it makes me feel guilty because I put out seed,nuts and fat balls to attract birds and then along comes the Sparrow Hawk and takes one or eats it on our lawn. You are right it does go eerily quiet when Sparrow Hawk is around and dont know where all the birds disappear too but they do very quickly and quietly. It is the circle of life I suppose.

I suppose if we did not  put out seed,nuts and fat balls then we would have less birds living alongside us 

meaning less food for the hawk family,so everyone loses in the long run .

As you say Tom the circle of life and at first glance it looks a bit grim .

Now the cat from down the street ..that's a different story :classic_sad::classic_unsure:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

That's terrible news  Pete, nobody should be subjected to Ant & Dec.. 

Joking aside, I hope your friend is as comfortable as can be and fingers crossed that your colleagues can find something suitable quickly. 

Unfortunately, we are all having to adapt our working conditions and will need to work harder for less, if we are fortunate enough to stay working. 

Bad luck can't last for ever, so I hope your tide turns soon. 

Andy 

I echo Andy's thoughts too Pete. I would like to send you a big hug.

Pat

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

Thread drift is fine on this post but not where someone has asked a specific question etc.  One newby's legitimate query got totally hijacked by two people and that isn't fair to them. Politics is off limits and will be deleted as will any hint to TAs. 

Here are the Guidelines if anyone has forgotten them. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/guidelines/

Thank you for posting a link clarifying the full rules.

Graham.

32 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

We also have regular visits from Sparrow Hawks and our Blackbirds seem to be in decline has a result.

We have lots of Sparrows and Starlings but Thrushes are very rare these days.

It would a poor world without our Birds.

We get Sparrows, Blackbirds,Thrushes,Blue Tits,Greenfinches, Crows,Woodpeckers,Woodpigeons,Magpies,Seagulls and Wrens in our garden.

Graham.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We get Sparrows, Blackbirds,Thrushes,Blue Tits,Greenfinches, Crows,Woodpeckers,Woodpigeons,Magpies,Seagulls and Wrens in our garden.

Graham.

All of the above except the Seagulls, also Wagtails and Goldfinches, occasionally Long tail tits.

In the Winter we sometimes get visited by rare birds especially if snow is on the ground.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Graham.

Raise you!

All the above plus; Robin, Great Tits, Long Tailed Tits, Gold Finches, Dunnock, Doves, Fly Catchers, have also had a Tree Creeper and get quite a few Red Tailed Kits over head

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Graham.

Pretty much the same here Graham but we don't get the woodpeckers and very rare do the gulls land, they are happy with the fields and ponds nearby . We have got a family of  Doves and a few Robins as well as the hawks that come now and again .

Having a large garden we let some bramble grow to give them shelter and food as well as our privet and hawthorn .

Most of houses nearby to us are lap fencing and concrete slabs,which are not much use to the wildlife .

We must be doing something right as a regular visitor the last month has been a big hedgehog who seemed pleased

when I share crushed rich tea biscuit with him/her. I also got a shallow tray to give it a drink of water which the birds 

seem to prefer to the bird bath we bought them .:classic_unsure:

Same as Mercury we get the  Red Tailed Kites over head they seem to be getting a more common 

sight around here where we live.

Edited by kalos
  • Like 2

For some reason we never see sparrows here any more - lots of dunnocks, instead - and no starlings or pied wagtails either. We do, however, occasionally see a greater spotted woodpecker plus once in a blue moon a green woodpecker. Then there's the owl that I've never seen, but which hoots continuously overnight in the oak tree near the guest bedroom.🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Graham.

We get all the above except Woodpeckers and Seagulls, but we also have Dunnocks Robins,Great Tits, Goldfinches and the occasional Sparrow Hawk. We used to see a lot of Greenfinches and Starlings, but not for a long time now. I must also mention the  dreaded Heron (not Harry) which sits on the neighbours roof staring longingly at our fish pond. He does occasionally fly away with a frog. We have two bats that fly around every evening, a shy hedgehog and a squirrel that runs along the fence early every morning. Isn't nature wonderful?🥰

Avril

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Then there's the owl that I've never seen, but which hoots continuously overnight in the oak tree near the guest bedroom.🤣

Maybe it knows that it is a guest bedroom :classic_unsure:

Try leaving the bedroom window open and it may come in and settle down for the night Annie.:classic_wink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mercury7289 said:

Raise you!

All the above plus; Robin, Great Tits, Long Tailed Tits, Gold Finches, Dunnock, Doves, Fly Catchers, have also had a Tree Creeper and get quite a few Red Tailed Kits over head

Forgot about Owls,Starlings,Robins Great tits. Gold finches,Doves and Herrons.

Never seen the others though.👍

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

We get all the above except Woodpeckers and Seagulls, but we also have Dunnocks Robins,Great Tits, Goldfinches and the occasional Sparrow Hawk. We used to see a lot of Greenfinches and Starlings, but not for a long time now. I must also mention the  dreaded Heron (not Harry) which sits on the neighbours roof staring longingly at our fish pond. He does occasionally fly away with a frog. We have two bats that fly around every evening, a shy hedgehog and a squirrel that runs along the fence early every morning. Isn't nature wonderful?🥰

Avril

We have a resident hedgehog and squirrel too.