P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

10 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Classics FM radio are playing what they claim will be specially selected pet-soothing music all evening, in the hope of calming some of the panic 

Mmm let me guess :classic_unsure: You aint nothing but a hound dog -

How much is that doggy in the window -

And they called it puppy love :classic_wink:

AC /DC  Given the dog a bone :classic_unsure:

Sounds good ,keep them pets safe:classic_love:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

23 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Still here and thanks everyone for your concern, but I wouldn't want to be accused of moaning and attention seeking from certain quarters😉

Avril

A belated welcome back sis,hope you are feeling better today.bro.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Being "off me feet" so to say...  I have  half morphed OH to Butler.

Having helped me shower and dress  this morning all I did was request eggs, bacon, sausages, toast and coffee.   Well the language that followed was not that befitting a man of that rank!!!!

Did I do something wrong???😂🙃

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

41 minutes ago, kalos said:

Mmm let me guess :classic_unsure: You aint nothing but a hound dog -

How much is that doggy in the window -

And they called it puppy love :classic_wink:

AC /DC  Given the dog a bone :classic_unsure:

Sounds good ,keep them pets safe:classic_love:

How about -

What's New Pussycat

The Year of the Cat

Pussycat

Cool For Cats

Nashville Cats

and just for good measure

The Lion Sleeps Tonight, -  but not until the fireworks stop😁

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

Yet another beautiful sunny morning

I am in a sunny mood because it’s Covid booster jab day today 💉 

A quick note in case anyone has pets who are frightened of fireworks.  Classics FM radio are playing what they claim will be specially selected pet-soothing music all evening, in the hope of calming some of the panic 

Have a good day.  See you later, probably 

Well I have heard no fireworks so far this year and my OH and I were saying what a refreshing change it made not to have noise before (and generally well after the 5th). We had forgotten that they are now time restricted by new legislation promulgated this year for everything from weddings to Hogmanay. They have also restricted how many an individual can purchase.

There will no doubt be some tonight but at least pet owners will know when they will start and end so they can calm their furry friends.

There are very few organised displays up here this year, they don’t want crowds so most of the Coincil events have been cancelled (some areas have also banned Christmas markets as well!).

Hope everyone’s pet makes it through tonight ok.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Well I have heard no fireworks so far this year and my OH and I were saying what a refreshing change it made not to have noise before (and generally well after the 5th). We had forgotten that they are now time restricted by new legislation promulgated this year for everything from weddings to Hogmanay. They have also restricted how many an individual can purchase.

There will no doubt be some tonight but at least pet owners will know when they will start and end so they can calm their furry friends.

There are very few organised displays up here this year, they don’t want crowds so most of the Coincil events have been cancelled (some areas have also banned Christmas markets as well!).

That’s good. I’m dreading tonight and tomorrow night’s fireworks as my dog hates them.  However at least I can prepare and make it as less scary for him as possible.

Classic FM does seem to help altho hoping that Strictly will suffice tomorrow!

I really wish regulations in England were more restrictive with dates and times that they can be set off. Maybe one day…….🙏

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Retirement was the best decision we ever made.  I think that our life now is better than when we worked.  My husband and I were both fortunate enough to be able to retire at 55 and have enjoyed every day of doing or not doing whatever we want to.  I know that we are lucky with our situation but my advice to anyone would be to retire as early as you can if you can afford to because no-one has a crystal ball or knows what is going to happen in their life tomorrow.

I so agree Josy. As some on here will know, my partner died aged only 57 back in 2012, after working hard all his life and not getting to enjoy the fruits of his hard labours. Consequently, three years later, stuck in a job that by then I hated, I decided to stop working.

I was lucky that by moving (and cashing in on the inflated housing market in Brighton) the finances worked out for me. I said I would probably look for some part-time work a year or so after giving up work but never did and could formally declare myself retired last year as I got my work pension at age 60.

I certainly don't regret it at all.

• Like 15

So busy here at work I have come on here to read everyone’s posts.

It’s my daughter’s birthday today. When my grand daughter was smaller she thought the fireworks were to celebrate her birthday.

It’s a lovely sunny day down here and feels a lot warmer than the 12oC that my phone is telling me it is😁

I am due to officially retire in about 14 months, but am not sure what is in store!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Diwali overlaps with Guy Fawkes which doubles the noise over this period.We had a Belgian Shephard who used to dive under the sheets and push us out of bed in terror.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Diwali overlaps with Guy Fawkes which doubles the noise over this period.We had a Belgian Shephard who used to dive under the sheets and push us out of bed in terror.

In my younger years living at home with the parents we had a couple of dogs that I would take for a walk in the nearby countryside and the dogs got used to the sounds and would happily sit watching them with me from a safe distance . That was a German Shepard and a Labrador but not sure that would work with the smaller breeds as they can be more highly strung to start with .

Fireworks or not they loved being out for those walks .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Yet another beautiful sunny morning

I am in a sunny mood because it’s Covid booster jab day today 💉 

A quick note in case anyone has pets who are frightened of fireworks.  Classics FM radio are playing what they claim will be specially selected pet-soothing music all evening, in the hope of calming some of the panic 

Have a good day.  See you later, probably 

Thanks for this Eddie.  My poor Teddy was in a state of panic last night with a mixture of a school firework display and Diwali festivals.  I will definitely try Classic FM tonight.  Who knows, it might sooth me too - I feel so sorry for his upset.  Have a good day.  Jane. X

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Thanks for this Eddie.  My poor Teddy was in a state of panic last night with a mixture of a school firework display and Diwali festivals.  I will definitely try Classic FM tonight.  Who knows, it might sooth me too - I feel so sorry for his upset.  Have a good day.  Jane. X

I also have a Thundershirt for Freddie which does help his stress as it sort of swaddles him (altho he stands like a statute when I put it on him).

A little drop of Valerian can help or a Piriton tablet (or half if under 10k).

Gill x

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

I so agree Josy. As some on here will know, my partner died aged only 57 back in 2012, after working hard all his life and not getting to enjoy the fruits of his hard labours. Consequently, three years later, stuck in a job that by then I hated, I decided to stop working.

I was lucky that by moving (and cashing in on the inflated housing market in Brighton) the finances worked out for me. I said I would probably look for some part-time work a year or so after giving up work but never did and could formally declare myself retired last year as I got my work pension at age 60.

I certainly don't regret it at all.

I remember you broaching the subject Andrew many moons ago, I have loved every minute of my retirement and albeit I do a bit of voluntary work there is no way I would even consider a part time job. It isn't for everyone and Mrs YP said it wouldn't work for me as I was an up and at em sort of chap who was always on the go. I used to talk the talk and walk the walk, now I have settled for sitting the sit.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

We had a Border Collie that would burrow herself behind me so much she'd push me off the couch and onto the floor.

Wish she was still here to do it now.

Sis

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Our golden retriever Casper doesn’t like to be outside with the bangs but does bark at them. Our Cavalier King Charles Rosie just barks at them and is not scared at all.

It’s a terrible time of the year for pets, New Years Eve as well.

Enjoy Classic FM tonight, with a glass of something sounds good

Michelle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

We had a Border Collie that would burrow herself behind me so much she'd push me off the couch and onto the floor.

Wish she was still here to do it now.

Sis

Saw the Irish supervet on Lorraine this morning.He's wrote a book about his little dog of 14 that died this year.He was in tears and so was I,bro.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I also have a Thundershirt for Freddie which does help his stress as it sort of swaddles him (altho he stands like a statute when I put it on him).

A little drop of Valerian can help or a Piriton tablet (or half if under 10k).

Gill x

My daughter uses Feliway diffuser for her cat and says it works very well. There is something similar for dogs too, Adaptil.

Avril

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2021 at 10:12 AM, LynnForestgate said:

Arnold Schwarzenegger lived in Forest Gate and weight-trained at Wag Bennett’s gymnasium in Romford Road.  

I bet he didn't say "I'll be back".

• Haha 4

Dogs and cats are said to respond to Rescue Remedy - and you can rub that on their ears if you don’t want to dose them

Fortunately our tyke shows her half Jack Russel provenance and doesn’t turn a hair.  We had a rescue who became a trembling, panting jelly.  I got medication from the vet for him, but that was in the days when fireworks were only one day a year - you can’t predict it now

So, I’m fully boostered now - and have walked over 14k steps (including to the vaccination centre - The Jabberwalkie 🙄).  Feet up with a coffee watching the cricket now.  Don’t hold out much hope for Scotland but we’ll done them for getting there

• Like 3

Our Springer Spaniel would c**** his ears at the sound of fireworks and be ready for the off, a good gun dog spoiled by us but we loved him.

Wouldn't let me say it but you will know what it was that I was trying to say.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 2

Police have been out lining the street with no waiting cones in advance of the cricket clubs fireworks display this evening, hopefully this will alleviate the traffic chaos in the street we experienced in 2019 (2020 display was cancelled). Display usually lasts about 15 minutes then there is a mass exit, the location is not ideal, but the club have been at the site for 120 years. The money raised helps to provide  facilities for youngsters and those with disabilities to take part in the sport.

Last night some of our Indian friends held their Diwali celebrations they informed as many as possible that fireworks would be let off at around 8pm, was a spectacular display as we watched from the bottom of our garden, they live around 1.5km away. They had clubbed together with other families so there was just one set of fireworks in that part of the estate where they live. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

I remember you broaching the subject Andrew many moons ago, I have loved every minute of my retirement and albeit I do a bit of voluntary work there is no way I would even consider a part time job. It isn't for everyone and Mrs YP said it wouldn't work for me as I was an up and at em sort of chap who was always on the go. I used to talk the talk and walk the walk, now I have settled for sitting the sit.

I was made redundant at 50 and very luckily, was offered my work pension from then on because they had no other opportunities that matched my specific skills set. I still do some related work from home when required but missing full time work really never happened, although I did miss some of the people. Early next year state pension kicks in as well. Life is more leisurely, more time to do what I want to do rather than what somebody else wants me to do.

• Like 9