P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

9 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I gently simmer spouts (uncrossed) until just tender in the centre.

I have never crossed myself or the sprouts before eating them but years back sat at the table

we would all say grace before eating them if my mother had cooked them .:classic_ohmy:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hi all,just done our LFT's all OK.Picking up BIL and driving to Sevenoaks for Christmas with our daughter.We were due to do this last year but due to .GOV and SIL having cancer,we all stayed in.Our daughter,son with their families and us all drove to Canvey and exchanged presents in their garden all socially distanced and breaking the law Christmas day.SIL died on 3rd Jan and BIL has moved near us.Should be a good one this year probably with a tinge of sadness.On a lighter note our daughter said what can we have Boxing day lunch.We said turkey mash and pickles especially pickled walnuts.She's a veggie but never heard of them so I got a jar from Waitrose and taking them,TBH I don't think I've had them either.lol.Merry Christmas everyone.

Edited by brian1
  • Like 9

5 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Hi all,just done our LFT's all OK.Picking up BIL and driving to Sevenoaks for Christmas with our daughter.We were due to do this last year but due to .GOV and SIL having cancer,we all stayed in.Our daughter,son with their families and us all drove to Canvey and exchanged presents in their garden all socially distanced and breaking the law Christmas day.SIL died on 3rd Jan and BIL has moved near us.Should be a good one this year probably with a tinge of sadness.On a lighter note our daughter said what can we have Boxing day lunch.We said turkey mash and pickles especially pickled walnuts.She's a veggie but never heard of them so I got a jar from Waitrose and taking them,TBH I don't think I've had them either.lol.Merry Christmas everyone.

If you are taking pickled walnuts, don’ forget the nutcrackers. It is a bit like taking wine and no corkscrew 🥴

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

That is supper time for me too Avril ,the chips is Boxing day lunch with all the other cuts of

cold meat & pickles :classic_love:

Big discussion for this morning - chips !

My mum, like everyone else I guess in the 50s and 60s, made her own chips,  and, depending on the potatoes she used, they varied from firm and crispy to soggy, brown and sweet (too high a sugar content in the potatoes)

Cooking for myself I progressed to a saucepan full of "Crisp and Dry" (burning the kitchen down an occupational hazard) before moving on to the the technologically advanced deep fat fryer, with Mazola oil (free as I worked for the company !)

Nowadays, I'm ashamed to admit that I use frozen oven chips,  with the Wowzz seal of approval going to the Aldi/Lidl chunky oven chips range made with Maris potatoes.  Although, for an occasional treat, and to give my arteries a challenge,  the Aldi beef dripping chips are excellent!  

• Like 4

Good luck with your op today Graham.

Not a bad start to the day here, the blackbirds were singing as it came light, probably confused now that the temperature has gone up.

I hope everyone has a great Christmas and Santa calls at yours. 

Don't eat too many sprouts, especially if you still have a bath.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Big discussion for this morning - chips !

My mum, like everyone else I guess in the 50s and 60s, made her own chips,  and, depending on the potatoes she used, they varied from firm and crispy to soggy, brown and sweet (too high a sugar content in the potatoes)

Cooking for myself I progressed to a saucepan full of "Crisp and Dry" (burning the kitchen down an occupational hazard) before moving on to the the technologically advanced deep fat fryer, with Mazola oil (free as I worked for the company !)

Nowadays, I'm ashamed to admit that I use frozen oven chips,  with the Wowzz seal of approval going to the Aldi/Lidl chunky oven chips range made with Maris potatoes.  Although, for an occasional treat, and to give my arteries a challenge,  the Aldi beef dripping chips are excellent!  

We do love our chips and agree with the Aldi chunky being one of our favourites. We are considering getting an air fryer which according to friends make the best chips ever?

5 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We do love our chips and agree with the Aldi chunky being one of our favourites. We are considering getting an air fryer which according to friends make the best chips ever?

Heard the same about air fryers, but we try to limit ourselves to only eating chips once a fortnight,  so it is a big outlay for occasional usage.  And it is quite a big bit of kit - our cupboard space is already at a premium,  full of things like the Magic Bullet,  Nicer Dicer, etc which are all gathering dust ! 

11 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

My son bought us an air fryer last Christmas and I don't get on with it. The chips are never cooked properly, some of them are still raw.

Good luck @grapau27 I hope it all goes well today.

I think that I have done everything that I need to do in preparation for tomorrow.

The turkey crown is out of the freezer and defrosting, all presents delivered, mince pies and sausage rolls made, checked that I have not forgotten to buy something essential.

I am now going to spend the day relaxing and pretending that I'm not in if anyone comes round. 😇

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I'm looking forward to the sprouts tomorrow!!!

Back safely from our cruise.  No more bones broken!

It was amazing with people on the dance floor more or less all day.  I wanted to join them in the evenings, but sadly had to use my scooter at night.  .  We were a bit oblivious as to how the virus was spreading here.  We are glad we went when we did.

We were surprised that there was no sun anywhere, not even Gib and Cadiz.  It was really very overcast most of the time, but I like grey days so I was ok with it.

Bit miffed at having to get me own breakfast this morning 🤣

I hope you all behaved and no-one went on the naughty step.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Not a bad start to the day here, the blackbirds were singing as it came light, probably confused now that the temperature has gone up.

But your bath almost becomes a jacuzzi after sprouts……..😀

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, kalos said:

Good morning hope everyone is Ok today and @grapau27  is not to nervous about 

his operation ,back home before he knows it and I'm sure we all look forward to his 

posts later -All the best :classic_love:

Anyone feeling festive yet ? :classic_unsure: Lots to look forward to as Gill just posted ,the Boxing day 

lunch ..🎶Turkey -Chips and Peas :classic_love:🎶🎶  (Oxygene part 1V Jean -Michel-Jarre 1977)

To be honest I could happily do away with the Christmas lunch and just have the Boxing day 
one instead :classic_smile:   
I suppose I best wrap Mrs K's present up .She has kept showing me these smart watches
with Christmas almost here but I hope she likes the hedge trimmer, which to be fair  is  
cutting edge technology I've got for her.:classic_unsure: I haven't a clue what I will be getting for
Christmas? Looking back  to when I was a kid my parents used to threaten me that if I
wasn't a good boy, all I'd get for Christmas was a sack of coal.:classic_ohmy:
With gas prices the way they are now, I'd be happy that. :classic_wink:

Have a nice day everyone and stay safe :classic_smile::classic_love:

thumbnail.jpg.62f7d1bdf8593b453eeb724c469649bd.jpg

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Good luck @grapau27 I hope it all goes well today.

I think that I have done everything that I need to do in preparation for tomorrow.

The turkey crown is out of the freezer and defrosting, all presents delivered, mince pies and sausage rolls made, checked that I have not forgotten to buy something essential.

I am now going to spend the day relaxing and pretending that I'm not in if anyone comes round. 😇

Thank you so much for all your well wishes.

My op was at 09.30am and I was home at 11.00am.

Pauline stopped in the car at the hospital all the time I was in.

Graham.

IMG-20211224-WA0000.jpg

• Like 11

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Graham.

IMG-20211224-WA0000.jpg

Glad it’s all over and done for you Graham. Take it easy and rest up, I am sure Pauline is telling you this anyway 

Have a lovely Christmas 

Michelle

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Peanut006 said:

Glad it’s all over and done for you Graham. Take it easy and rest up, I am sure Pauline is telling you this anyway 

Have a lovely Christmas 

Michelle

Thank you Michelle.

I have to go back next Thursday to get the stitches out.

I hope you have a lovely Christmas too.

Graham.

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Have a lovely time with your family bro. I think we're all looking forward to a better Christmas than the last one, and for many of us it will a time to remember the past year, but  to have hope for the next.

Pickled walnuts - my Dad loved them, me - not so keen. Before we moved to Yorkshire, when I was much much younger, we lived in an old cottage in Staines. Down either side of the pathway were walnut trees, and I  used to help Mum pick them. I can still remember the smell of the spices she used when pickling them. Good memories.😊

Sis

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Graham.

Glad all went well Graham :classic_smile: I was saving one of my better jokes to tell you with the hope

it would have you in stiches but I can see from the photo someone has beat me to it :classic_wink::classic_unsure:

Look after yourself and best wishes to you and Pauline :classic_love:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Euwww Graham.  I’m glad you’re all done but I’m not sure I fancy that many stitches!  Not much choice, I suppose.  Did it take about 30 minutes - that’s what they told me.

Indiana - welcome back!  Glad you had a lovely time.  Sounds like you timed it perfectly 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Euwww Graham.  I’m glad you’re all done but I’m not sure I fancy that many stitches!  Not much choice, I suppose.  Did it take about 30 minutes - that’s what they told me.

Indiana - welcome back!  Glad you had a lovely time.  Sounds like you timed it perfectly 

Thank you.

I walked from the hospital ward to the theatre and they wheeled me back and in total it was about 45 minutes.

Graham 

• Like 3