P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

11 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I thought there was an age cut off Avril, I have been assuming that I was way past the call up age, guess I was wrong.

Just checked and apparently you can ask to be exempt if you're over 70.

That's good news John. According to the papers that came the cut off age is  76. 

Avril

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Avril, I can understand that in your situation. Are there any health grounds on which you might reasonably ask to be excused, or are you able to do it?

Not really, and I don't suppose they will accept that I still don't feel safe going out.

Avril

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Not really, and I don't suppose they will accept that I still don't feel safe going out.

Avril

Probably not - I was thinking there might be a medical issue within the family that made it better not to mix.  It depends very much on the courtroom, but the Crown Court here has no facility whatever for proper distancing - Barnsley may be different.

You'd probably find it very interesting if you do go, but obviously health has to take priority.  We're in a funny position on that, and haven't been inside a shop or public building since March 2020! The court would have been out of the question.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Probably not - I was thinking there might be a medical issue within the family that made it better not to mix.  It depends very much on the courtroom, but the Crown Court here has no facility whatever for proper distancing - Barnsley may be different.

You'd probably find it very interesting if you do go, but obviously health has to take priority.  We're in a funny position on that, and haven't been inside a shop or public building since March 2020! The court would have been out of the question.

It's Sheffield Crown Court, and getting there would be the biggest issue as we don't drive now. It will entail, bus to Barnsley, train to Sheffield and taxi to the court and then the reverse to come home. Oh well, I'll worry about it on Monday.

Avril

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

It's Sheffield Crown Court, and getting there would be the biggest issue as we don't drive now. It will entail, bus to Barnsley, train to Sheffield and taxi to the court and then the reverse to come home. Oh well, I'll worry about it on Monday.

Avril

Get in touch with them with any concerns and see what they say.

These are extraordinary times so surely they can give you  a 'pass' on this one if needs be

• Like 3

I was called many years ago but never got to actually sit. A call now would be a disaster as there is no way I would be able to keep awake. Then there is the travelling as I don't drive and it would have to be a taxi. 😱 Then there are medical issues as well.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I received a notification for jury service in the post today.

I know this may not ring true, but it is.

When I was in the Crown Courts our "Clients" were mostly serial muggers and the like.  They could object to certain prospective Jurors.  The people they objected to was certain if a nice suit or really nice clothing was worn, and one of our lot objected to a lady in a hat.   Apparently they looked too intelligent and more likely to find them guilty,  or so they thought.

So if you have to go, on the first  day dress up and look intelligent and you might not get called, or if you fancy the experience make some holes in your jeans and don't wash that morning.

Mind you, this was all some years ago.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

I'm sure, Avril, that you've already been into all this, but when my wife had to claim deferral we found these useful:

https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/delaying-or-being-excused-from-jury-service

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/228867/9780108508400.pdf

Your situation may well entitle you to deferral or excusal, as did my wife's, and the court officers do act sensibly and reasonably.  Your responsibilities to Frank may also be relevant.  At our age (I don't think we're that far apart) travelling on public transport in the middle of a pandemic doesn't seem a great idea, and if you were to apply I suspect you'd be successful, taking all the factors into account.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I received a notification for jury service in the post today. Can't say I'm looking forward to that.

😒

Avril

Hi Avril. I’d be inclined to ask for a 6 month deferral and cite weather, transport issues and pandemic! I got a postponement from them because I had just started a new job.

I have done it twice and enjoyed the experience on both occasions but that was when I was a lot younger and I wouldn’t be too keen on doing it now.

Gill

• Like 1

I did jury service in 1996 and told them from the start of accepting the 'invitation' that I wasn't available for the 'last' Friday of the 2 week period because of going on holiday. I kept reminding them of this at court but wasn't picked in the first week but was picked early in the 2nd week. I again reminded them of me going on holiday and was assured that the case wouldn't last very long. However it dragged on and in the end the judge had to get the agreement from the defence and prosecution for there to be one less juror for the verdict, which they did fortunately. The judge in court wished me a good holiday!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I did jury service in 1996 and told them from the start of accepting the 'invitation' that I wasn't available for the 'last' Friday of the 2 week period because of going on holiday. I kept reminding them of this at court but wasn't picked in the first week but was picked early in the 2nd week. I again reminded them of me going on holiday and was assured that the case wouldn't last very long. However it dragged on and in the end the judge had to get the agreement from the defence and prosecution for there to be one less juror for the verdict, which they did fortunately. The judge in court wished me a good holiday!

I did jury service once many years ago and sat on two very minor cases. I found it quite an interesting experience and would be happy to do it again. Obviously those with medical, caring or transport issues should be exempted but if they created a list of volunteers (to be used sparingly to prevent a rise of ‘professional jurors’ ) it may be helpful.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, indiana123 said:

I know this may not ring true, but it is.

When I was in the Crown Courts our "Clients" were mostly serial muggers and the like.  They could object to certain prospective Jurors.  The people they objected to was certain if a nice suit or really nice clothing was worn, and one of our lot objected to a lady in a hat.   Apparently they looked too intelligent and more likely to find them guilty,  or so they thought.

So if you have to go, on the first  day dress up and look intelligent and you might not get called, or if you fancy the experience make some holes in your jeans and don't wash that morning.

Mind you, this was all some years ago.

I can confirm that, the posher you dress the greater the chance of being objected to 😉

• Like 1

Back in the 90s my mate was called up to the Old Bailey.It was one of those cases where he needed an armed copper "living" with him and his family for a few months.He got on so well with this copper,they ended up best friends and my mate was best man at the coppers wedding.

• Like 1

🎶 Well good morning Judge, how are you today? I'm in trouble, please put me away
A pretty thing took a shine to me 🎶 Goood old 10 cc:classic_love:

I did Donny crown court and found it ok ,the court ushers and Judge were 

great with us and put us at ease .I did 4 days one case serious assault and the

next case was theft but he changed his plea and we were all discharged from

jury service . Any mobiles ,books and hats (unless for religious ) had to be left 

in a locker if you were in the actual court room . To be fair we spent more time 

out of the court room supping tea .I took a family member to Sheffield Crown court 

as they too were doing Jury service and if memory serves me right that had a nice 

cafeteria upstairs . In Avril's situation I would have a good chat when you ring the jury

service up as they could offer you a swap to Donny or may well even defer your service 

which could well mean that's the last you would ever hear from them with a bit of luck .

All Rise :classic_wink:.. I hereby order that you all stay safe and have a good day :classic_love::classic_smile:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I received a notification for jury service in the post today. Can't say I'm looking forward to that.

😒

Avril

My wife got a notification for jury service for the 2 weeks before Christmas 2020, no way to opt out. However rather than attend the court she had to wait at home, a text message would be sent each evening either say she was need or not, after 5 days she was stood down. 

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Back in the 90s my mate was called up to the Old Bailey.It was one of those cases where he needed an armed copper "living" with him and his family for a few months.He got on so well with this copper,they ended up best friends and my mate was best man at the coppers wedding.

I did a stint at the Old Bailey. Absolutely fascinating but trial was halted after a week as history of previous crimes was inadvertently disclosed to the jury 🙄

• Like 3

Brilliant sun here so much so that the low riders and I have been to Sheringham for a beach walk already. Beef already slowly cooking ready for lunch so ahead of myself. 6 hours until the boy dog returns can't wait for the little pack to be complete again, the lady dogs not so much.

Various cruise tasks to be undertaken today. (1) New roll on cabin case required bright and tacky as possible in case I decide to cast it into baggage collection at any point. (2) to get to grips with identifying either a Premier Inn or Travel Lodge that is on the A34 or M27 where I don't have to leave the road and drive into a town. I know I got petrol last year and there was one on site but for the life of me can't remember where it was. (3) Investigate the baggage handling company as to whether I can just use it one way i.e. going down to Southampton. Should occupy an hour or so.

2 hours ago, ccpm said:

Brilliant sun here so much so that the low riders and I have been to Sheringham for a beach walk already. Beef already slowly cooking ready for lunch so ahead of myself. 6 hours until the boy dog returns can't wait for the little pack to be complete again, the lady dogs not so much.

Various cruise tasks to be undertaken today. (1) New roll on cabin case required bright and tacky as possible in case I decide to cast it into baggage collection at any point. (2) to get to grips with identifying either a Premier Inn or Travel Lodge that is on the A34 or M27 where I don't have to leave the road and drive into a town. I know I got petrol last year and there was one on site but for the life of me can't remember where it was. (3) Investigate the baggage handling company as to whether I can just use it one way i.e. going down to Southampton. Should occupy an hour or so.

Holiday Inn Express West is very close to M271 and then a short easy drive to all terminals.