P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Have you thought about the insurance implications for this ?

You will obviously have to declare the medical condition to your insurer.  They then will need to agree to you, as a non qualified individual,  administering an injection. 

Somehow,  I think I already know the answer.

21 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I think it depends on which one you buy. We had a Philips one a while back, and it’s in the cupboard. Another one bought more recently though is used several times a week for all sorts of things. It’s as much an oven as an air fryer, so for us at least much more useful. Does a splendid rotisserie chicken too!

A ninja all the way. We have had a number of air fryers over last few years and since having our ninja we havent looked back. Its fab and does a lot of different functions.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Have you thought about the insurance implications for this ?

You will obviously have to declare the medical condition to your insurer.  They then will need to agree to you, as a non qualified individual,  administering an injection. 

Somehow,  I think I already know the answer.

The insurance for the holiday is OK as condition not present when holiday booked.  The idea of the injections being done by anyone on the ship is a non starter though, I realised that last night - just a rather strange idea on my part. I do agree doing things at home are totally different to doing them on a ship and also do not believe the med team would get involved due to their legal and insurance position, as I said this is not a routine matter.  It is not even clear that injections would be prescribed anyway - just my mind running on.  Need to get on with packing for Azura next week, so need to leave this now, but thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tring said:

The insurance for the holiday is OK as condition not present when holiday booked.  The idea of the injections being done by anyone on the ship is a non starter though, I realised that last night - just a rather strange idea on my part. I do agree doing things at home are totally different to doing them on a ship and also do not believe the med team would get involved due to their legal and insurance position, as I said this is not a routine matter.  It is not even clear that injections would be prescribed anyway - just my mind running on.  Need to get on with packing for Azura next week, so need to leave this now, but thanks.

You will need to advise your insurer of the new condition, otherwise if you need to claim the insurer could refuse to pay.

Edited by terrierjohn
Sorry did not see fionboards post saying the same.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You will need to advise your insurer of the new condition, otherwise if you need to claim the insurer could refuse to pay.

DH is well into legal issues, (work background) so no probs there, what we need to do will not be skimped and policy has been re read.  The issue when we would not be covered is if he is advised not to travel by doctors, or if he had specific conditions which do not apply.

We are under the Civil Service Social Club policy now, which functions differently to some others, but I will not go into that here.  I do agree it is something people need to be very aware of and many people are not, or do not, bother checking.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

If you develop a condition after taking out insurance you must inform insurers ( and pay extra premium if necessary ) or you will not be covered for it. 

Unless, perhaps, it’s one of those policies not requiring that, but dependent only on the medical condition at the time of taking out the policy. Not so common these days, but probably still available.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Unless, perhaps, it’s one of those policies not requiring that, but dependent only on the medical condition at the time of taking out the policy. Not so common these days, but probably still available.

You have hit it on the head Harry, there is absolutely no procedure to inform them, but there are certain rules on what is covered or not. 

This medical issue has just come up totally out of the blue, investigated since late July and not thought to be an issue even then.  Only diagnosed last Tuesday. We have decided that we would not try claim if we cancel though, in fact unless he is told he HAS to cancel, we would not be covered anyway.  It is dawning on me we just need to head off on the holidays whilst waiting and the hospital seem happy to work around that.  There are waits involved for everything now and this is not, in practice, something which could just be taken to the local Spire hospital as could become ongoing.  The tablets should be keeping it under control and there are no symptoms to cause an issue.

• Like 1

Going on Britannia in October and got an email today saying check-in is now open but when I tried to do so it doesn't recognise my middle name. I'm sure I've read somewhere about this happening to others and just wondered what the out come was. 

We booked direct with P&O probably need to phone or can you still do everything at the terminal?

1 minute ago, July morning said:

Going on Britannia in October and got an email today saying check-in is now open but when I tried to do so it doesn't recognise my middle name. I'm sure I've read somewhere about this happening to others and just wondered what the out come was. 

We booked direct with P&O probably need to phone or can you still do everything at the terminal?

Just don't put your middle name in.

I had a text at 9:15 this morning asking if I would help out at the pharmacy with booking in people to be vaccinated, the person who was supposed to be there has covid and I am the person who lives nearest.  It was crazy all morning because they were doing Covid and flu vaccines, I agreed to go until 12 o'clock but ended up staying until just after 1 o'clock.  The good news is that I am now vaccinated against flu so I won't need to go to the doctors for that.

• I have made an appointment for DH to have both vaccines on Tuesday afternoon 😇
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I informed my insurer (Axa) and the helpful lady said as I had already booked the cruise and gone through a medical screening I would be covered anyway. Apparently the medical screeners deal with deveral different insurers so it gets complicated. To put the condition on my policy at no extra charge she cancelled the existing policy, refunded my credit card, made out a new policy and charged my card the same price. I am now have Glaucoma on my policy. They were not worried about an ECG I had either as there was no treatment required.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2022 at 10:39 AM, July morning said:

A quick question about the Air-fryers are they still being used or have they found a space in a cupboard?

I ask because I have been looking at them on line with thoughts of buying one but the choice is mind blowing! If I do get one is big better 🙄

We have a gourmia from Costco. Love it. Also have and actifry too. But we only use the actifry for chips

New to this thread, and only read back a few pages so far! I have had a Ninja dual zone air fryer for well over a year now, and hardly put the oven on any more. Re the jacket potatoes, I give them a blast in the microwave first, about 9 minutes for two potatoes, then into the air fryer on a high temperature for another 20 minutes, often less, for lovely crunchy skins.

re the injections, many people do their own, diabetics for instance, easy to learn if it’s just into muscle. It’s the insurer that probably needs to be convinced that they are happy with the arrangements.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am diabetic and inject daily into the fat layer beneath the skin on my stomach . A tiny 4mm needle is attached to the epipen, it is easy to do. When i was in hospital some years ago they gave my daily anti coagulation injections, again beneath the skin into the fat layer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just turned on my central heating, I don't normally do this until October but so cold and rainy today

Just calculated the expected winter fuel allowance as 222KwH per month for the next 6 months or 266 hours per month as I have two 14 night cruises.

• Like 1